3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-107: DIY-Seafoam on 3rd gen TL ('06 5AT specifically)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
what happens when the filter reaches its dirt holding capacity is the pressure relief valve opens- taking the filter out of action, and the engine oil just circulates without any filter-
not carries bad stuff to filter------
Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
3G TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i managed to drive 400 miles this weekend, and this has by far been the most i've driven in a tank of gas for some time. I might want to add this was a combination of street and hwy driving! The throttle response is noticeably more responsive and the idle much smoother.
I'm sold!
The following users liked this post:
casty (05-28-2012)
Old 05-05-2008, 02:02 PM
3G TL

proof!
nearly 400 miles w/o low gas light driven both hwy and local streets. hit a couple bumper to bumper traffic as well!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wtf is this thread about
Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Team Owner

try reading the 1st page- its how to use seafoam engine system cleaner in gen3 cars
there are different place for gen3 vs gen2 so a few threads on th esubject
By reading post like-- IT Works- amazing better everything!!!
- should have clued you in to the discussion on hand
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Errr...IlovemyAcura, I hope you actually read threads before you post =P

There was another thread a month or so ago asking where to seafoam a 3g TL... so I went out and made a DIY on 'how to seafoam a 3gen TL.'
Old 05-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Be-in my TL
Something to open the clamps with, I use vise grips since I can't find the pliers.
Thanks for the write up on this...will defintely try this soon. I'm retarded when it comes to stuff like this so I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

What clamps are you opening? Are you referring to the engine cover?

Now on to the process. Let me know if I'm wrong...

Start the car and leave it running

Attach the ¼” hose to the intake manifold (vacuum line)

Pour 1 can (16 oz.) of the seafoam into the gas tank when it’s ¼ full

Sip/Slurp ½ bottle (8 oz.) of seafoam by dipping the other end of the hose into the seafoam container – should be done slowly and take about 10 min.

Turn off engine and let rest for 15 minutes

Start engine and let idle for 3-5 minutes and then drive around for about 10 minutes

Run engine in 3rd gear at 4k rpm for 10 minutes

Do several 10-50mph runs at WOT, never exceeding 5500 rpm

Repeat the whole process after 2,000 miles (for first timers)

A day or two before you change the oil, pour ½ bottle seaform into oil crank case

Sound about right?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i used to use this stuff in my turbod teg. its a good idea to change your spark plugs after using seafoam.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:27 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Originally Posted by apnorm
Thanks for the write up on this...will defintely try this soon. I'm retarded when it comes to stuff like this so I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

What clamps are you opening? Are you referring to the engine cover?

Now on to the process. Let me know if I'm wrong...

Start the car and leave it running

Attach the ¼” hose to the intake manifold (vacuum line)

Pour 1 can (16 oz.) of the seafoam into the gas tank when it’s ¼ full

Sip/Slurp ½ bottle (8 oz.) of seafoam by dipping the other end of the hose into the seafoam container – should be done slowly and take about 10 min.

Turn off engine and let rest for 15 minutes

Start engine and let idle for 3-5 minutes and then drive around for about 10 minutes

Run engine in 3rd gear at 4k rpm for 10 minutes

Do several 10-50mph runs at WOT, never exceeding 5500 rpm

Repeat the whole process after 2,000 miles (for first timers)

A day or two before you change the oil, pour ½ bottle seaform into oil crank case

Sound about right?

You're on the right track...as for the clamp, I meant only 1 sorry. The only clamp is the one holding the vac hose to the nipple. I wish I had better pictures to show you.

8oz into the tank, 8 oz into the vac line, and 8 oz into the crankcase(this should be done when your oil is ready to be changed)

Don't start the car and leave it running.. drive it around(or on the way home from work / school would be great. You want the engine warmed up.)

10-15 minutes would be fine.

Sorry, I let it idle for 3-5 minutes because I was doing something at the time. You want to let it idle until it doesn't sound like crap anymore. Should take 1-2 minutes as 01tl4tl mentioned. You want to drive around until the car feels semi-normal. Other mentioned it drove like shit with the seafoam in it, so when your car feels okay...hit up 4k RPM on 3rd gear until smoke is gone or for a good amount of time(10-15 minutes). (this is roughly 60 MPH btw)

Do this where it is permitted, and the moreyou do, the more it'll clean, but not so that you're out of gas and you've put 5,000 miles on the car. Please choose wisely how many times you do this =P. I did about 20-25 runs on open roads.

It is suggested to do this after 2,000 miles, so make sure you record what mile you're currently at =).

It is not a necessity to change it 2-3 days before the oil change. You can drive around 30 minutes and change, or you can wait 100-200 miles, then change the oil. It all depends how dirty your engine, you think, is. If it's an old old old engine, then let it do its cleaning for a couple hundred miles. If it's like mine (16,000 miles) then you can chane it after a 30 minute drive.

Good luck. SAVE GAS!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Alright so I tried to do this today but couldn't get the hose off the vacport. Is there any special way to pull off the hose after removing the clamp? It is seriously stuck on there--I had my two friends come try too and we couldn't get that thing off?!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Banned

you really have to put some muscle into it. try twisting and wiggling it while sticking a screwdriver under the rubber.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

stuck hoses just need a twist- be careful with pliers or other tools causing a tear in the rubber hose- that would make a bad air leak
Remember that you have to pull the hose over 1 inch just to get it off the metal nipple.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:05 AM
B16 Swapped TL

All of the accounts I have read with Seafoam was that it was more effective if allowed to sit over night or for a few hours. I always did the 1/2 Bottle in to a vacuum line (my favorite line is the brake booster) then dump about 1/4 in just enough to choke the engine and let it die. This ensured there was some of the stuff in the CC's / on top of pistons.

Then I dumped the rest in the gas tank.

After a night of sitting there there will be a nice loud of smoke behind you for a few miles.

Here is essentialy the directions I follow (written for GM top end cleaner.... same stuff):

It is available at most GM dealerships. I called a local GM dealer it was $6.18 a can. Part # 1050002. It will take roughly 2.5 hours to do. You will need a short piece of silicone vacuum line (the smallest internal diameter) 4mm sound right? Then take the red *straw* off of a can of WD40. Use a 3" piece of that straw and shove it in the end of the vacuum hose. Make sure it is in real tight. Push it in the vacuum hose until about a 1/2" is sticking out. This is what you will use to draw the Top engine cleaner out of the can. With the engine running, remove the brake booster vacuum line. Once you take that plastic piece off, put a funnel in the end of it. Its best you figure out what funnel will fit that before you start all this. Put the end of the funnel on the hose, and then put the end of the silicone hose without the straw tip in the funnel. You will want to have opened the can of top engine cleaner to puncture the metal cap so when you are ready to begin, it is just a matter of unscrewing the cap. The idea here is to draw very slowly, with the plastic straw end. It will make the engine stall if you just submerge it, so just hold the end of the hose so it sucks small amounts of cleaner out. You will see what I mean about going slowly. Once you get down to about 1/3 of a can left take the hose setup and set it aside. Holding the funnel in one hand take the remaining top engine cleaner and dump it in the funnel. You will want to stall the engine out. So dump it fast. Then you can hook up the brake booster, and get it put back together. Let it sit for about 2 hours. Then start it up. It will be difficult to start. Then once it starts up, you will see lots of white smoke pour out the exhaust. So you may want to think of a place to do this, that you won't disturb any neighbors . It is a lot of smoke, you'll laugh once you do this. Get on the throttle a couple times and rev it to get the cleaner to burn out. The smoke should go away in about 5-10 minutes. That is about it. It is important that you do an oil change immediately. I usually don't drive much more than 10 miles after I do the top engine cleaner, before I do an oil change.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Team Owner

there are reasons for different methods- yours dont appear to involve the directions on the can or the seafoam home website- but to each his own method

The white smoke is largely the hi detergent oils in foam reacting to exhaust heat
Try the new port we use on the TL- see how our method compares to GMs
For the average ziner who is afraid to even do this simple job- keeping it as simple and non threatening results is a good plan IMO
Old 05-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned

I emailed seafoam just for shits and giggles:

1st, make sure the vacuum line YOU CHOOSE to POUR product (with air) in to FEEDS ALL CYLINDERS. Look for a vacuum port that is within INCHES of where the throttle body attaches to the intake manifold. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT!

If any product DOES NOT DISTRIBUTE EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS, you risk damaging the engine!

Do this procedure with the engine at FULL OPERATING TEMPERATURE, Keep the RPM's as LOW as possible using your thumb over the line while SLOWLY pouring product.

Once engine shut off, allow to "Heat Sinc" for 10 to 20 minutes before re-starting and driving vehicle.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ityper
proof!
nearly 400 miles w/o low gas light driven both hwy and local streets. hit a couple bumper to bumper traffic as well!

omg! i second that! a little under 400 miles on a tank here after seafoam...WITH high revs!!! i'm a believer...
Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by nokiaboy808
i used to use this stuff in my turbod teg. its a good idea to change your spark plugs after using seafoam.
uh oh...why do you say so? i haven't changed my sparks...it almost has 60k...
Old 05-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phossotronic
Alright so I tried to do this today but couldn't get the hose off the vacport. Is there any special way to pull off the hose after removing the clamp? It is seriously stuck on there--I had my two friends come try too and we couldn't get that thing off?!
yeah it's seriously stuck on there...
what I did...was i took a flat head screw driver and jammed it in there
just started pulling up to get some air in; it's SUCKED on there pretty hard...it'll stretch out just a tad...and all you gotta do it yank...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

Originally Posted by erick3
uh oh...why do you say so? i haven't changed my sparks...it almost has 60k...
because mines crapped out right after treating my car with sea foam once out of the many times.

almost 60k on them? i think its about that time to get a fresh set...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Team Owner

I thought seafoam says not for use on TURBO cars?
If you have older weak plugs and fail to do the blow out drive afterwards- its possible to load them with crud and need replacement
In these days of ever rising gas prices, doing them at 60 on a TL is reasonable payback for effort and mileage improvement.
Other cars dont matter- seafoam in a TL is all we care about here.
Seafoam says POUR- slowly because many cant find a simple vac hose- so they use a much larger brake booster vac hose- which you cannot fit that hose into the can like we do.
We use a direct manifold vac port now- just like it says and it feeds everything- since it sits at the begining of the intake manifold

Those who are scared should go away- and stop saying negative thinkgs on products they dont use.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

LMAO your signature... 01tl4tl... is that your sig?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 PM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I thought seafoam says not for use on TURBO cars?
If you have older weak plugs and fail to do the blow out drive afterwards- its possible to load them with crud and need replacement
In these days of ever rising gas prices, doing them at 60 on a TL is reasonable payback for effort and mileage improvement.
Other cars dont matter- seafoam in a TL is all we care about here.
Seafoam says POUR- slowly because many cant find a simple vac hose- so they use a much larger brake booster vac hose- which you cannot fit that hose into the can like we do.
We use a direct manifold vac port now- just like it says and it feeds everything- since it sits at the begining of the intake manifold

Those who are scared should go away- and stop saying negative thinkgs on products they dont use.
uhhh i cant find anywhere on the bottle that says seafoam is NOT for TURBO cars?
i dont understand why it wouldnt be either...
can you please explain WHY?
ive been using it for 3 years on my turbod car... still runs like a champ.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

I thought- and thats a loose concept at times- that I read not for turbo or rotary engines- perhaps that was just for the oil. Since I no longer have the RX car- I didnt pay much attention. Could have said for rotary!!

On a turbo in the oil I could ~imagine~ problems, but will take the real life experience of someone doing it-- over my basic guess~
Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
so i finally decided to google what the hell this stuff is... after reading pages and pages of good. i have to ask.. anybody out there with BAD experience with this stuff?

i just bought a used civic. sounds like i should run this stuff in it to clean it out. haha
Old 05-15-2008, 06:44 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

I would, it helps... I drove around for a little bit earlier andnoticed 23 mpg doing errands!! those are the start engine, stop engine, run in, start engine, stop engine, run in, start engine..... kind of errands.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:34 AM
B16 Swapped TL

Originally Posted by Teddybear
so i finally decided to google what the hell this stuff is... after reading pages and pages of good. i have to ask.. anybody out there with BAD experience with this stuff?

i just bought a used civic. sounds like i should run this stuff in it to clean it out. haha
I think you will have a hard time finding a negative experience. Also Google Top End Cleaner, same stuff except from GM.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 AM
B16 Swapped TL

Too Slow on my ninja edits I guess......

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok guys,
I'm seafoaming my 05 TL in about 1 hour just waiting to 10pm so less traffic, but my question is this. I'll do just the gas tank 8oz and vacuum line 8oz, and my question is should I oil change after the seafoam and after how many miles?
Thanks
Tim.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

read above. You can do it after 30 minutes or after 100 miles. either will be okay. depending on your miles, I'd would go 100 miles for an 05 (higher miles)
Old 05-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I have about 21000 miles on it.

Or if I seafoam today can I do oil change next Friday?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Also, should I fill up with gas in full after the whole seafoam?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:02 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

you can but if you can fill 1-2 gallons after you bring your 1/4 tank it wwoyuld work better.

yes as long as you dont go to far*400-500 miles
Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Team Owner

Seafoaming the gas and manifold does not require an oil change afterwards!!!
You want 2 ounces foam for every gallon of gas in tank- so 1/4 tank is about 4 gallons-
8 oz of foam would make a 2 to 1 heavy cleaning dose-
when you run a few gallons off that mix- put in 2-3 gallons gas- so remaining mix is still at good strength, and drive down till low- then fill as usual and drive- Use quality gas- it makes a differance

WHEN you decide to change the oil- put sefoam into the engine oil adding hole- and run it at idle- or drive it briefly- personal choice- then change oil and filter
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Slow Paper> No Paper

You want 2 ounces foam for every gallon of gas in tank- so 1/4 tank is about 4 gallons-
when you run a few gallons off that mix- put in 2-3 gallons gas- so remaining mix is still at good strength, and drive down till low- then fill as usual and drive- Use quality gas- it makes a differance

WHEN you decide to change the oil- put sefoam into the engine oil adding hole- and run it at idle- or drive it briefly- personal choice- then change oil and filter
For about how long should I let it idle or drive around before I drain the oil.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Ok guys,
I'm officially Seafoamed. What I did, I pour 8oz foam in the gas tank, and then the remaining 8oz sip-sip in the manifold. While doing the sip-sip my body let the car die 2 times. He did not expected even I told him it might happen. Anyway, while doing the sip-sip I did not see any smoke but I was in front of the car and my body in the car so there could have been some smoke but not much that I noticed it. I did the sip-sip for about 7 to 10 min. Then turned the car off. Waited for 15 min and then I started the car. The car had just a little trouble running during the first few seconds and then it started to run normal and smooth. I got out of the garage and got on a main street. Up to that point nothing out of the ordinary. After about 20 to 30 sec the car wanted to die and I heard strange noise from the engine like knocking. After that a huge smoke came out and I felt really bad for the car behind me. After good 10 min drive I got on the highway on 3rd gear with 4000rpm. That was the time when I got the second smoke. I can not tell if there was any smoke before getting on the highway but the cars were keeping a really good distance from me. After driving on third gear for sometime, I slowed down and about from 20mi/h I floored it. I did floor it about 5 times. Before I got home like 01tl4tl said I put 3 gallons of gas to keep the mix in the tank.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

When I do decide to change the oil, how much foam should I put in? Is is 8oz?
And also do I have to do the gas and manifold again or just pour the foam into the engine oil hole?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Team Owner

Excellent job! The smoke varies as its mostly a heat reaction- so a little out the exhause at the end of foaming is possible but not mandatory, and then on the drive- you get good smoke while the engine is hot and you have high exhaust flow
It will keep cleaning from the gas and get better over the next few days

On the oil change and seafoam- you can do your choice of 5 minute idle in driveway- or drive it to oil change place- or drive all weekend- if going for a longer time to get it really clean- install a new oil filter then do the foam- so the filter is fresh and can catch the crud
Seafoam says you can run up to 30 days on dirty engines as long as you check the dirt and smell of the dipstick every day ( I am paraphrasing them)
Old 05-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Team Owner

put foam in the engine hole- thats the way I am going to describe in from now on!
Yes- put 8oz in the engine hole for the oil change method
1st timers to foam should repeat the intake and gas method in about 2000 miles- that will put the finishing touch on it and then good for a year, 15,000 miles
Ok to put some in the gas for a road trip~
Oil cleaning you can do at each change, or every other, or whenever it feels like it needs it.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
01tl4tl, can I do the crankcase method just before I bring in my car for service (may be a day before)? I'd imagine the dealer would do an oil change for me.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Burning Brakes

01tl4tl,
So if there is no seafoam going to the engine oil hole there will be no need of changing the oil?

Quick Reply: A-107: DIY-Seafoam on 3rd gen TL ('06 5AT specifically)