Just Got Xm Satellite Radio Added To Factory Radio

Old 06-08-2002, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just Got Xm Satellite Radio Added To Factory Radio

I just added XM SATELLITE RADIO to the factory radio today.
I got the Pioneer GEX-FM903XM universal tuner system along with the TERK TRK-SR2 Roof Mount Antenna. The antenna looks like a pregnant computer mouse on top of the car. The little tuner is real small & I have it mounted with velcro under the factory radio. The system uses FM MODULATION & the tuner even list the music playing at the time.
This gives me 100+ Channels of all types of music, sports, news,etc the sound is quite good. I ask the installer was XM selling he said it was selling real well. He said they sold 3 last week & the people got it to get the NASCAR RADIO station.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do they mount that roof mount antenna without the wire hanging out? Do they drill a hole in the roof of your car? How is the FM modulation quality? I had a CD player about 10 years ago with the FM modulator and the difference in sound quality was noticable.

Travis
Old 06-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by twhitted
How do they mount that roof mount antenna without the wire hanging out? Do they drill a hole in the roof of your car? How is the FM modulation quality? I had a CD player about 10 years ago with the FM modulator and the difference in sound quality was noticable.

Travis
They use an adhesive to mount the roof antenna. The one that I have the TERK TRK-SR2 has a small strip weather strip gasket. I think it cotains the wires & then that runs back along the roof & goes under the black gasket strip around the back glass of the car. This antenna is crazy looking looks like a pregnant computer mouse. The sound quality is quite good better than FM more close to CD. Here is the websit & you can get a better look at the products including the wide range of recievers & that crazy looking antenna. www.xmradio.com
Old 06-10-2002, 06:49 PM
1 Phat CL !

I'm getting XM, just ordered it my installers are putting it in, i'm very impatient, i'm dieing to c the attenna looks like on the car, can you please post your pics espically SR2 attenna part. thanks
Old 06-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by OUTRAGEOUS CL TYPE S
I'm getting XM, just ordered it my installers are putting it in, i'm very impatient, i'm dieing to c the attenna looks like on the car, can you please post your pics espically SR2 attenna part. thanks
Sorry I am not able to post pics but the TERK SR2 does not look like an onstar antenna. The thing is mounted center but not at the very back end of the roof. Its a crazy looking thing I say a pregnant computer mouse with a tail. It has a hump in it & the wire from it that goes to the receiver is like the rubber molding that on your rear window. The wire tucks down under rubber molding on the rear window. The antenna is held by a ultra strong bonding adhesive. There is no drilling so it does not have to be permanent. My installer said that he prefered that one over the Pioneer antenna for looks. The Pioneer looks better on the box to me. It may not look better on the car I went with what he said. If you go to www.terk.com & look at the SR2 antenna the picture is not that good. The shape is correct but its not that small its the size of a computer mouse. But TERK makes some crazy antennas anyway.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:19 PM
1 Phat CL !

I'M GETTING MINE NON METTALIC CAR PAINTED AND PUT ON TOP OF THE REAR WINDOW.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:20 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've heard that some people mount theirs on the rear deck between the rear speakers. They said they still picked up the signal with no dropouts. Wonder if thats true?
Old 06-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

tint

Originally posted by woodek
I've heard that some people mount theirs on the rear deck between the rear speakers. They said they still picked up the signal with no dropouts. Wonder if thats true?

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would a metalic tint effect the signal.....just my luck it does
Old 06-11-2002, 08:06 PM
1 Phat CL !

my proximity sensor for my car is effected by the chrome tint right now, thats the sensor that beeps if you come next to the car, works with alarm. so thats Y i doubt too if the xm attenna will pick up if i leave it in the car.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:17 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

cool

thanks for the info
Old 06-13-2002, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

I guess you guys are talking about glass mount antenna.
I have the roof mount XM antenna on my car.
With that antenna they ofcourse mount them on the roof of all vehicles except convertibles. They mount the antenna on a convertible on the trunk. The installer did not even mention a glass mount antenna. I did have a little problem with it the system the other day & got it fixed today. The other day the XM radio was playing fine & then I went to start the car & the unit had no sound. The receiver then displayed a message in the display screen that said antenna. I looked at the owners manual for info. The manual said it maybe a short or the antenna was not connected. I check the connection in the trunk to the tuner & it was fine. I was out of town untill early this mourning so I went to the radio shop & told them. They put on a new antenna & that fixed the problem. The installer said that the antenna I had might have been an early production model. The reason is that it did not have an XM logo symbol on the top of it. The box I had has a picture with the logo but the antenna did not. when they put the new antenna on it had the logo. All said I guess it was a bad antenna. But whats good is the unit itself tells you what might be the problem. It took them about 10mins to fix the problem.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:34 PM
No longer a newbie!

I just got the Alpine unit, and had them mount the rooftop antenna on the rear deck. I havent had any drop outs or problems, and I live in the NY metro area with aloth of bridges and buidings around. Plus I have a pretty dark tint.

I definately recommend having them mount the roof top unit in the rear deck (mine is on the drivers side infornt of the bose speaker, where it gets the most exposure to the outside).
Old 06-16-2002, 09:23 PM
Cruisin'

pics?

can you show a pic of ur setup?
Old 06-17-2002, 10:24 AM
No longer a newbie!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkblue]Sure I have attached a couple of shots. I hope I post these right. If not, let me know and I will e-mail them to you directly.

Does anyone know if there is a possibility of an alpine unit a/v unit that can hook up to the navi for DVD/TV since I already have an Alpine RF connection?
Old 06-17-2002, 02:23 PM
No longer a newbie!

Here's anoter shot of the acutal control unit. They made a bracket and installed it underneath the headliner
Old 06-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn! Thats the sheot!!!
Old 06-23-2002, 01:26 AM
Advanced

Ok, so how does it sound with the FM modulator (XM running through stock deck)? Does it sound like CD quality or is it noticibly lesser quality?
Old 06-23-2002, 03:02 AM
No longer a newbie!

The quality is decent...I would definately say it isn't CD quality, but it is definately better than radio quality. Only problem is that the volume (even with the levels on the XM unit on high) is a little lower than the radio volume level.

However, if you are looking for sound quality, I definately would recommend it.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CLtypeSRacer
The quality is decent...I would definately say it isn't CD quality, but it is definately better than radio quality. Only problem is that the volume (even with the levels on the XM unit on high) is a little lower than the radio volume level.

However, if you are looking for sound quality, I definately would recommend it.
I agree with that the volume level is a bit lower with the FM modulator added to the facory system. This is normal & it states that in the owners manual. If you play you music real loud like you want all the outside wolrld to hear. I would sugest a real XM radio head unit. If you want to hear you music inside the car or 20 feet away from it the FM modulator set at mid volume is fine.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:05 PM
1 Phat CL !

XM ATTENNA before and after painted

this is what the attenna looked like before.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:10 PM
1 Phat CL !

and then i got it painted
Old 06-23-2002, 06:14 PM
1 Phat CL !

i still didnt get it installed but i just put it on top of the car to see how it looks, it looks PHAT. paint is non mettalic but glossy so shines like the rest of the car.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:15 PM
1 Phat CL !

that wire sticken out on the back of the XM SAT ATTEnna is gonna go inside the rear window, phat installation. I got a good installer.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:57 PM
1 Phat CL !

OK gUYS FINALLY GOT IT INSTALLED, I LOVE IT, IT CAME OUT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CLEAN. XM SATELLITE
Old 06-27-2002, 03:49 AM
Broke youngster :(

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FTM-1
[B]I guess you guys are talking about glass mount antenna...
The installer did not even mention a glass mount antenna.....

GLASS MOUNT ANTENNA!!!

nuff said

NIck
Old 06-27-2002, 03:52 PM
1 Phat CL !

the glass mount attenna iwas going to get but it sticks out like a dickward behind my car, thats y i went with the sr2 and then painted it, its looks like its part of the car stock
Old 06-27-2002, 04:37 PM
No longer a newbie!

The glassmount is fine, if you don't mind having a retro 80's huge ass cellphone antenna sticking off your car!...I think the whip on it is about 12 inches long...plus it cant be installed through tint!

I'l stick with my install in the rear deck...looks really clean, plus I have had very few drop outs, and I live in NY where there are a ton of buildings and bridges.