3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Buy a Low Mileage 2008 TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just wanted to say, I'd been looking for a Type-S on and off for about 2 years, and I'm finally getting one with super low miles (2008 KBP with 36k). I'm flying to New York tomorrow to pick it up, and have an 8 hour drive home.

The most difficult thing for me was trying to find with with the 6-speed, as I don't like to drive automatics. Seems there are plenty of TL's and Type-S's out there, but most are autos.

The two ways I'd been searching most recently were through AutoTrader (looked at any distance to see what was out there), and SearchTempest.com. SearchTempest let's you search a distance from a ZIP code, but searches all Craigslist posts within your range. That's actually how I found the one I'm going to pick up tomorrow, had searched out to 700 miles.

There was a dealer in New York, up near Poughkeepsie, that had two nice Type-S cars, one auto one manual, but not sure how far you would be willing to travel.

Manual - Bronze
http://acuraofwappingersfalls.com/Po...-Car/30310364/

Auto - Red
http://acuraofwappingersfalls.com/Po...-Car/30236061/

Maybe these will help. At the very least, do some searches with AutoTrader and with SearchTempest.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
cars.com app is by far the best car search app I use on my iphone. The autotrader app pretty much sucks. So if you like searching on your smart phone get the cars.com one.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Yea, I know they're in NJ, but these things are a dime a dozen around me. I see at least 5 typeS a day.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Carbon Bronze is not all that hard to find. Its not as common as black or silver, but definitely not one of the rarest. Great color BTW loved it!

In my years of searching it goes like this. From common to rarest:
black(NBP)-silver(ASM)-white(WDP)-bronze(CBP)-blue(KBP)-red(MRP). Those figures hold true for both auto and 6mt. WDP and CBP are a toss up.
That might be true in general, but the only color I don't see around me is the carbon bronze. Shit there are 3 kinetic blues in my neighborhood alone. I also see the red from time to time and I know where two are for sale. That carbon bronze I posted is the only one I have seen for sale around me since last December.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock79
That might be true in general, but the only color I don't see around me is the carbon bronze. Shit there are 3 kinetic blues in my neighborhood alone. I also see the red from time to time and I know where two are for sale. That carbon bronze I posted is the only one I have seen for sale around me since last December.
Nice, yeah I would suppose it absolutely depends on the area, and you never know you just happen to be in an area that has a good collection of KBP's :-) 3 KBP's one one subdivision is pretty crazy though. You dont even see 3 Honda Accords in the same color in a subdivision, let alone 3 Type S TL's...let alone the same color.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Nice, yeah I would suppose it absolutely depends on the area, and you never know you just happen to be in an area that has a good collection of KBP's :-) 3 KBP's one one subdivision is pretty crazy though. You dont even see 3 Honda Accords in the same color in a subdivision, let alone 3 Type S TL's...let alone the same color.
I live in NJ, where there really isn't any open space to speak of. As for Homda Accords you could throw a rock in two different directions and hit an Accord, they're not rare at all. The big thing here right now seems to be Maserati's and Tesla's, I must see at least two to three a day of those.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:44 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About a year ago I was looking for the same thing and "settled" on a 08 tl with navi instead of the type S. I found it quite cheap at about $12000 with 80,000km (50,000 miles)and saw the same year and same kms type s go for about 8 grand more, not to mention all the insurance companies I checked wanted about $800 more a year for the type S. After driving both, I chose the tl because I couldn't justify the cost diffrence and said I would keep that 8 grand for upgrades or incase of problems in the future( I have really bad luck with stupid problems). A year later, no problems and have spent some cash on upgrades. All that being said I still regret not getting the type S for one because i would have much preferred manual and the other as I have sold my speedy s2000, the TL is currently my only car and I can't do much more to it as I have to drive it in the winter (Montreal shitty roads). So in all, if you prefer manual and this will be your only car don't settle. If you don't mind the automatic and the minor differences take the base, pocket the cash and if it's not enough spend some cash and make the car your own. The only real noticeable difference I found with the type S is it handles much better than the base..
Old 08-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought one here in NJ, finally. The market for these cars is tight as I've been looking since March. Almost every one I have come across is well above NADA.This is because these cars still get good money at auctions as well so dealers fight for them. They're a sought after model so the price will remain high.
I felt I got a "fair" deal on mine from the dealer, you just need to look around for your right car. I was prepared to pay shipping charges to get a good one. Just be aware that some dealers will keep cars on their websites but those cars have been sold months ago. It's the old bait and switch. So when a dealer shows their cars in inventory they are just displaying old inventory in hopes of getting you down to the dealership. Good luck
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still looking here in New Mexico. Thought I had one, 40k miles, but pretty beat up. It's a white car. The owner didn't even wash the car before showing it. Bunches of scratches, paint transfer. Car must have been around kids. He said the car was in excellent condition in the ad. I'd have to put about a grand into it I'm estimating to get the car looking good. Wants $21k for it. It's Been on the market for about a month.

I guess I've got high standards. Can't imagine showing a car for sale, and not even washing it. Looked like it hadn't been washed in months. He did have maint. records from the dealer. 1 owner car.