2003 Audi A4 1.8T test drive...

Old 02-10-2003, 11:14 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Audi A4 1.8T test drive...

My buddy was too drunk to drive last Saturday night, so he let me drive his A4. He just got the APR chip installed the weekend before and sitting as a passenger there was a noticable difference. BTW he has the five speed, Sport Package, winter package, and Xenons. Black/Black. Here are my observations:

1) interior is immaculate. The Germans really know how to unite the trim and accents perfectly.

2) The turning was noticably flatter than the CL even though I have the TEIN SS and Comptech Sways. I would've expected a lot more lean considering its weight.

3) The tach revved really high on highway speeds (3,100rpm at 70mph). Def needs a six gear. He told me this was a common complaint.

4) seat position was much lower than in my CL. I felt like I needed a booster chair. But I didn't get a change to adjust the seat too much so maybe it isn't a problem.

5) Turbo kick pulls hard. I've always driven Honda cars so I'm not use to the power band being lower. Anything over 3500 rpm and the 1.8T just wanted to pull forward. Could be from the chip. Def best upgrade for the price(~$400 for 30hp and 20torq+)

6) Xenons produce a much sharper cutoff than the CL. There is a blue line at the edge of where the Xenon light stops. It was most noticable when we pulled up behind someone. It looked pretty cool, especially the self leveling aspect.

7) Summer tires suck in the winter. Given.

Overall the car felt slower, but more solid. The A4 was a contender when I was shopping for cars, but Audi gave me a shitty trade in value for my CL, so I said F-them. Will consider them again in the future...
Old 02-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Disproportionate Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write-up. I remember driving a friend's S4 2.8 before they stopped making them, and that car took corners faster than my 99 Cobra did. There's also something to be said for German "solidness". By the same token, I rather detest arrogant dealers who act like they're doing you a favor if they sell you a car, and the Audi dealer in Austin has to be one of the worst in the country (actually, I've heard the same thing about about the Acura dealer here, D. McD. Acura).
Old 02-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

I test drove a 1.8 as well. But I was so disappointed to the point where I was laughing. It was mad slow and not worth the dough.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Banned

Re: 2003 Audi A4 1.8T test drive...

The chip from Apr actually does 50 hp and 60 more TQ.

Originally posted by chikai
My buddy was too drunk to drive last Saturday night, so he let me drive his A4. He just got the APR chip installed the weekend before and sitting as a passenger there was a noticable difference. BTW he has the five speed, Sport Package, winter package, and Xenons. Black/Black. Here are my observations:

1) interior is immaculate. The Germans really know how to unite the trim and accents perfectly.

2) The turning was noticably flatter than the CL even though I have the TEIN SS and Comptech Sways. I would've expected a lot more lean considering its weight.

3) The tach revved really high on highway speeds (3,100rpm at 70mph). Def needs a six gear. He told me this was a common complaint.

4) seat position was much lower than in my CL. I felt like I needed a booster chair. But I didn't get a change to adjust the seat too much so maybe it isn't a problem.

5) Turbo kick pulls hard. I've always driven Honda cars so I'm not use to the power band being lower. Anything over 3500 rpm and the 1.8T just wanted to pull forward. Could be from the chip. Def best upgrade for the price(~$400 for 30hp and 20torq+)

6) Xenons produce a much sharper cutoff than the CL. There is a blue line at the edge of where the Xenon light stops. It was most noticable when we pulled up behind someone. It looked pretty cool, especially the self leveling aspect.

7) Summer tires suck in the winter. Given.

Overall the car felt slower, but more solid. The A4 was a contender when I was shopping for cars, but Audi gave me a shitty trade in value for my CL, so I said F-them. Will consider them again in the future...
Old 02-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Krisqo
I test drove a 1.8 as well. But I was so disappointed to the point where I was laughing. It was mad slow and not worth the dough.
It is a bit slow, but after a chip, its actually very quick.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:38 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Hey SilverBullet. My friend was telling me that the newer 1.8Ts were going to be six speeds...??? Is that true? And when are they coming out?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
does the stock turbo hold up well with the chip? I mean whos got a chipped a4 with the most miles with no problems?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:43 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Re: Re: 2003 Audi A4 1.8T test drive...

Originally posted by SilverBullet
The chip from Apr actually does 50 hp and 60 more TQ.
He doesn't have the injectors yet.

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/e...e_8ea418t.html

APR shows 30hp increase, but my buddy also told me that they tend to be conservative w/ their numbers.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by chikai
Hey SilverBullet. My friend was telling me that the newer 1.8Ts were going to be six speeds...??? Is that true? And when are they coming out?
It's just a rumor. No one really knows for sure yet.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
does the stock turbo hold up well with the chip? I mean whos got a chipped a4 with the most miles with no problems?
Pretty good. The older A4s have been chipped and no one has mentioned about a Turbo going out. People have 150k on a couple, never had a issue. hmm

Chikai, yeah. And Giac and other brands don't need the injectors and they produce more gains than APR. So that doesn't make sense.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:57 AM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Since we're on the subject of the Audi A4....

for those of you in the NJ area.... have you been to Short Hills Mall? Paul Miller Audi in Parsippany has a silver A4 on display, with an aftermarket Ottenger body kit on it....

it looks hot hot hot!

i've always loved the previous generation's style... but now the new body is just to die for....

spoke with Paul Miller Audi.... they said that particular model with the Ottenger kit is on display to promote their base models. the claimed that the entire Ottenger kit and rims, came out to $10k.

a bit excessive in my opinion.

but it made the A4 look so aggressive!
every guy in the mall was turning their heads.....

wish i had my digicam yesterday.

Old 02-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Race Director

i'l have that oettinger kit by summer fo shizzle
Old 02-10-2003, 04:08 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock turbos seem to hold up well. My buddy had a chip on stock turbos for about 50k miles with no issues. He recently got the APR stage 3 turbo kit so his car really moves now. Nothing like a kick in the pants at about 3500rpms!

I also noticed that his car is at about 3500 rpms at 80 while my car is at 2200 rpms.