Zaktek Protective Coating??

Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zaktek Protective Coating??

Has anyone heard or had any experience with the dealer applied Zaktek protective coating? It was offered to me for free (after I paid for the car) by my Acura dealer. It's supposed to be applied every 6 months. It says it's a polymer protectant, but there's no much info on their website (http://www.zakproducts.com/index.php...egory=Programs)

I'm wondering if it's even worth my time. It would seem that the car would have to be absolutely spotless otherwise this would just seal in dirt underneath the coating.

Would I just be better off waxing/sealing my car with say, Duragloss #105?

Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by SaNdSuKkA
Has anyone heard or had any experience with the dealer applied Zaktek protective coating? It was offered to me for free (after I paid for the car) by my Acura dealer. It's supposed to be applied every 6 months. It says it's a polymer protectant, but there's no much info on their website (http://www.zakproducts.com/index.php...egory=Programs)

I'm wondering if it's even worth my time. It would seem that the car would have to be absolutely spotless otherwise this would just seal in dirt underneath the coating. <-- you can't seal dirt under it . You could seal oxidization under it.

Would I just be better off waxing/sealing my car with say, Duragloss #105?

Thoughts?
It will be free the first time .. expensive the second/third etc. Your better off to not risk thier $8 hr kid scratching it and do the #105 yourself.

#105 or the likes are just as good as what they use.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My dad just purchased a used 2008 black Toyota Camry and purchased their paint protection plan with something similar. The dealer "detailed" the paint and applied the protection. I took a look at it the other day and wow, they sure did a crappy job. I could see swirl marks, water spots, and the paint needs to be clayed big time. I guess to the average joe, it looks good...but to those in the know, it's really a rip off.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
It will be free the first time .. expensive the second/third etc. Your better off to not risk thier $8 hr kid scratching it and do the #105 yourself.

#105 or the likes are just as good as what they use.
Unless I misunderstood, I have it free of charge for the life of vehicle. You could be right though. You're also right about the kid scratching it.

Originally Posted by Yakuza17
My dad just purchased a used 2008 black Toyota Camry and purchased their paint protection plan with something similar. The dealer "detailed" the paint and applied the protection. I took a look at it the other day and wow, they sure did a crappy job. I could see swirl marks, water spots, and the paint needs to be clayed big time. I guess to the average joe, it looks good...but to those in the know, it's really a rip off.
Yeah, I already noticed what looked like water spots on the black edging on the door. I tried cleaning them off but no luck. Looks to me like they washed the car and didn't properly dry it. Then they applied the Zaktek stuff and the water spots got sealed underneath. I hope those spots will come out over time. I may have to buy dual action polisher and go to town on it.

The only reason I was still considering it is under the assumption that it was free, given that most of these car care products come with a hefty price tag.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Hehehe, yeah, you paid for it somewhere. Do yourself a favor and spend just a few more and protect your investment at you're own leisurely rate. (And to YOUR satisfaction).
Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Hehehe, yeah, you paid for it somewhere. Do yourself a favor and spend just a few more and protect your investment at you're own leisurely rate. (And to YOUR satisfaction).
Yeah, I guess that's probably what I'll end up doing. Any suggestions on removing this coating? Will it just come off with time, should I try washing with Dawn dish soap, or use some sort of cleanser or polish?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SaNdSuKkA
Yeah, I guess that's probably what I'll end up doing. Any suggestions on removing this coating? Will it just come off with time, should I try washing with Dawn dish soap, or use some sort of cleanser or polish?
Leave it there .. its not hurting anything .. You could put a layer of Duragloss #105 over it just for peace of mind.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,406 Likes on 3,018 Posts
I'd leave it, just put your own products over it
Old 10-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Instructor

not sure about that one but look into this product
http://www.aquartz.net/
ordered kit for myself to try on my car, looks very promising from what i heard and seen
Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sy272004
not sure about that one but look into this product
http://www.aquartz.net/
ordered kit for myself to try on my car, looks very promising from what i heard and seen
How did you manage to order it I couldn't even find a link to the order / pricing page.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I'd leave it, just put your own products over it
Yeah I guess. I just want to remove the water spots that appear to be locked underneath this Zaktek stuff.

Also regarding the Aquartz, their claims sound good, but I'm gonna have to wait to get feedback from an actual consumer. In my limited experience, there's really no coating, sealant, etc that will provide a glossy finish and protect the paint for even 1 year, let alone 2 (unless maybe it was garaged the majority of the time). Then again, my car never sees the inside of a garage, unfortunately.

Jesstzn, let us know how it works out for you.