Rev limiter at 3rd gear??

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rev limiter at 3rd gear??

its a 97 acura 2.2 cl f22b1 vtec automatic.Has recent tune up(cap,rotor,wires,plugs..)but i think my distributor timing might be off,feels like pedal is a bit hard to press down.(NEW O2 SENSORS and high flow cat ) my problem is weather on d3 or d4 when its on 3rd gear and im pushing it it seems like it hiccups or rev limits at 5200rpm ONLY IN 3RD GEAR !! every other gear can hit well pass that. Can bad distributor timing do this?? skipped tooth?..how about mildly clogged fuel filter ? btw i changed my radiator about 2 weeks ago and a bit of tranny fluid fell out (about half cups worth) and i added about a full cups worth since i havent changed since i got the car 1year ago...it was the castrol multi vehicle import tranny fluid....car had service at 128xxx miles and now it has 180xxxmiles...time for a change huh!? im jus afraid because i heard plenty of accord owners say they changed thier tranny fluid then started skipping and goner ! ADVICES PLZ OF WHAT IT COULD BE !
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM
user & abuser

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ariellito
its a 97 acura 2.2 cl f22b1 vtec automatic.Has recent tune up(cap,rotor,wires,plugs..)but i think my distributor timing might be off,feels like pedal is a bit hard to press down.(NEW O2 SENSORS and high flow cat ) my problem is weather on d3 or d4 when its on 3rd gear and im pushing it it seems like it hiccups or rev limits at 5200rpm ONLY IN 3RD GEAR !! every other gear can hit well pass that. Can bad distributor timing do this?? skipped tooth?..how about mildly clogged fuel filter ? btw i changed my radiator about 2 weeks ago and a bit of tranny fluid fell out (about half cups worth) and i added about a full cups worth since i havent changed since i got the car 1year ago...it was the castrol multi vehicle import tranny fluid....car had service at 128xxx miles and now it has 180xxxmiles...time for a change huh!? im jus afraid because i heard plenty of accord owners say they changed thier tranny fluid then started skipping and goner ! ADVICES PLZ OF WHAT IT COULD BE !
well, 1st off id change that tranny fluid A.S.A.P. and dont get mister lube to do it they use a pressuse system that forces the old fluid out with the new fluid "tranny flush' they will call it, DONT DO THIS!!! and DONT use anything other than honsa/acura auttomatic tranny fluid , not haveing that in could be your problem. any way change it yourself its very easy, if you cant get some1. do the 3x3x3 , 3 liters 3 times. ( 3.1 to be exact) these tranny's have issues. the fluid out the rad was from the crappy tranny fluid cooler, get an after market and use clean new honda/acura fluid otherwise on a hot day on a long trip .... KABLAMMMOOO!!!! good buy tranny. any way back to the issue. if you change the fluid (12L) to honda/acura and the problem presists sounds like it could be the tranny failing,... i thought people said the second gear goes first or something,
thats why i drive like a pussy till race time, d3 under 70kmph, d4 any speeds over and 12 liters of honda/acura fluid every spring. i cant afford the $6000 bill to fix, but i love my cl so i will fix the biotch when she brakes and ill do so with a aftermarket tranny.
The following users liked this post:
ariellito (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Instructor

THANKS 4 UR INPUT !! hey some1 today told me it could be the tranny sileniod (the 3rd gear 1) since it shifts smooth and good in every gear ! he said the 3rd gear seliniod is prolly dieing out according to him...possible?but i definitely will change the tranny fluid ! can i get the exact name or part # for the fuild? sohc f22b1........honda dealer only right? estimated cost per quart? thanks !!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Instructor

can bad trans shift solenoid cause rough slowish acceleration? im expiriencing that also...full tune up done except gas filter
Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 AM
user & abuser

THANKS 4 UR INPUT !! hey some1 today told me it could be the tranny sileniod (the 3rd gear 1) since it shifts smooth and good in every gear ! he said the 3rd gear seliniod is prolly dieing out according to him...possible?but i definitely will change the tranny fluid ! can i get the exact name or part # for the fuild? sohc f22b1........honda dealer only right? estimated cost per quart? thanks !!
hey no problem, just trying to help people save $$$.
yes it very well could be a silenoid although further info on this i can not help with as ive never did more than fluid and filter changes (filter on other cars, ours is internal), auto tranny's are very VERY complicated and even some gunk blocking a fliud passage can do wierd small things. i helped some1 put a shift kit in a camaro back in the day but thats as far as ive got. i suggest google as a start to get a info base then from there a mechanic that knows auto hondas.

as for the part #...??? its just called honda/acura (depending on where you go but they are both the same) automatic transmission fluid, its synthetic, its exactly what was designed for our trannys.
all honda auto's 4cyl ( 1.6/1.7/1.8/2.0/2.2)or 6cyl.(2.4/3.0/3.2)
here in sask. i pay $12. per. liter and i buy 10 liters in the spring when she wakes from hibernation.

***to change fluid***
(1)dont drive it so its cool and the fluid is settled.
(2)pop the hood (on level ground) and check the fluid level should be in between the 2 holes somewhere, i go just to the bottom of the top hole and leave the dip stick out.
(3)its a tight fit but slid under the front with oil pan and 3/8 inch drive socket wrench with no socket and locate tranny and drain bolt (you will recognize it cause the bolt has a square opening in the middle for the 3/8 inch socket wrench head)
(4)insert the wrench head into bolt head and bust loose counter clockwise (how tight depends on the last time it was put on how tight it was done up and how long its been since the bolt came undone last).
(5) slide the oil pan under and undo with your hand (caution if you drove it and its hot, the fluid will be hot) and drain fluid (let sit for a bit if you can so it completely drains).
(6)clean and inspect bolt, might me magnetic and if so you will have to clean the metal shavings off ( its good to see no shavings ) and install, dont over tight but dont under tight , hand tight and bout 1/4 turn give or take.
(7) now the fun part, there is different ways but to get the fluid in you fill it threw the dip stick hole (ive yet to find another way), i have a clear hose about 16 inches long, fits kinda snug but i use a small hose clamp to hold it firm, the other end of the hose goes to a 2 liter funel, its the best ive found to do the job ( 3 - 3.1 liters should have drained out so add the same),
add 3 liters, let sit so fluid runs down so not to give a faulse readingand check level with the dip stick, if you need the .1 liter add otherwise you did the first 3 liters
(8)drive the car for a while ... say 30km stait highway or 30 mins around town, lol, crude estimate and repeat the process 2 more times (more if its royaly dirty)

there is a way people speak of were as you drain all the fluid but id recommend against it cause you can run some tranny passages dry.

if you know how to do everything ive typed just disregard,lol.
and if you stuck it out and read all of this i commend you good sir , good luck with the cl.
The following users liked this post:
ariellito (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Instructor

Thanks alot bro ! No check engine light or flashing d3/4 btw ...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 PM
user & abuser

Thanks alot bro ! No check engine light or flashing d3/4 btw ...

no problem, see if it helps your car, i hope it helps.
as for d3 / d4
not flashing is a good thing.
if you are driving at speeds under 60kmph do so in d3 or 3rd gear and if you go above 70kmph do so in d4 or 4th gear. if you have it in d4 or 4th gear and going under 50kmph (stop and go traffic) the tranny can shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear and back again too much, this is hard on the tranny.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Instructor

really? interesting
Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM
user & abuser

really? interesting
yah, thats why the d is befor the 3rd and 4th gear and not the 1st and 2nd, its 2 different options for final drive speed. its not like d4 will make the tranny explode or anything it can just be harder on the tranny, i forget and leave mine in d4 for a while when i get to the city, no biggie, first red light i drop it down. oh, try to come to a complete stop or a continuouse roll if possible, these tranny's can sometimes have a lag in the shifting so if you do a quick stop and try to go sometimes as you start to give it gas the tranny catches up and you feel a little bang or clunk, its like a miny nutral drop, ultimatly standards are better. also you will have a lock up torque converter, its, kinda like a miny 5th gear but it dosent engage in d3, only d4, it drops the rpm's like 300.