Is firmware updateable?

Old 11-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Is firmware updateable?

I have a 2012 TL-Tech. Does Acura release firmware updates for their cars? This car is great but does have a few software bugs (like the continual phonebook updates) that I'd like to see fixed. On my wife's VW Tiguan it is possible to get periodic firmware updates, but I can't find anything on Acura's website to indicate if Acura ever does this. Thanks for any insights.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
brechbt, cool avatar!
I think these issues are covered by updates to the nav system, but I could be wrong.
Anyone else know?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The phonebook update is intentional. The HFL is synchronizing each time you connect to a phone to allow updates to the database. In previous models, when you added an entry to your phone, you had to clear the memory and reload ... folks complained (and for good reason IMO). Now it is automatic. I have about 700 contacts in my Blackberry and it is done within a short time (6-7 seconds).
Old 11-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by brechbt
I have a 2012 TL-Tech. Does Acura release firmware updates for their cars? This car is great but does have a few software bugs (like the continual phonebook updates) that I'd like to see fixed. On my wife's VW Tiguan it is possible to get periodic firmware updates, but I can't find anything on Acura's website to indicate if Acura ever does this. Thanks for any insights.
NAVTEQ has access to Honda code only for the parts of it that are involved with the map interface, or a fault in how Weather or Traffic works. They aren't going to be able to send a Nav update that fixes a bug in how your car interfaces with an iPod or iPhone contact list, or your Android phone book.

In very rare cases where a bug has been proved, a dealer will be alerted to provide an update, and the dealer network will be provided with the flash code. There's no way for the owner of the car to get the code, however.

Your path of least resistance is to stay in touch with the dealer about it and make sure your voice is heard that there is a bug, in your opinion.

(800) 382-2238 Acura Client Relations <--That will be annoying, and it will take time, but you'll start the ball rolling if it isn't already rolling.

Originally Posted by TampaJim
The phonebook update is intentional. The HFL is synchronizing each time you connect to a phone to allow updates to the database. In previous models, when you added an entry to your phone, you had to clear the memory and reload ... folks complained (and for good reason IMO). Now it is automatic. I have about 700 contacts in my Blackberry and it is done within a short time (6-7 seconds).
That's interesting.

I'm not sure I like that, but enough other people must have wanted the feature to implement it.

I'm afraid I'm one of those guys who gets all set up ahead of time and when I push the button I am already buckled and ready to drive off.

It's annoying to me to have to push the OK every time on the NAV, and annoying to have to reset the heads up that yes, I know that my oil life is 15%.

:-)

Adding another few seconds before I can make a phone call...I dunno about that.

I must be in the minority, because enough people must've asked for the feature for it to be implemented.

Isn't there a Law of Unforeseen Consequences? When we went to iOS 5.0, you might recall, almost none of us could sync our contact lists at all. In that case, the car's contact list would've been wiped while it updated.

Nope, nope...don't think I like that.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-16-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Isn't there a Law of Unforeseen Consequences? When we went to iOS 5.0, you might recall, almost none of us could sync our contact lists at all. In that case, the car's contact list would've been wiped while it updated.

Nope, nope...don't think I like that.
Wow, did the new update to IOS fix this? I updated to IOS5 when it came out and haven't synced yet, but was just thinking I need to. I just put on the IOS 5.0.1 yesterday. I'm scared to sync now if it would wipe everything out, but I have added several numbers since I last synced.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys. I had hoped that there was a mechanism for regular updates to the car's software, but am not very surprised if there isn't.

I perhaps chose a bad example in commenting on the phone update issue. I realize that probably isn't a bug, but rather a design decision that many users, myself included, object to. A better example of what I consider an obvious bug is the fact that, in the iPod search function, using the command "List Artist Grateful Dead" brings up an alphabetical list of all songs by the Grateful Dead, when what I really want is to bring up a list of all the Grateful Dead CD's that are on my iPod. There is no way using iPod search to bring up a list of the albums of a particular artist. Listing all of my Grateful Dead songs all together is really useless; I can't imagine why anyone would want to do this. Yes, I realize that if I use the normal Music Search and scroll to a particular artist, I can then display an album listing. But this is very cumbersome with a large collection; I want to do this through the HFL system.

I consider this a bug because it seems improbable that the designers really did this on purpose; it's just too obviously wrong. But it's too bad that Acura isn't providing post-sales support for these kinds of issues, given the technological complexity of these cars.

Last edited by brechbt; 11-13-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon256
Wow, did the new update to IOS fix this?
It was one of the goals of 5.0.1 to stop the corruption of individual contacts, which is what was keeping the list from syncing after spending a long time *trying* to sync on Handsfree Link.

It was one of the goals...but I haven't had the nerve to try. :-)

The way that I fixed mine was to re-activate an iPhone 4 that was still on iOS 4.3.3, and then sync the iPhone with iCloud, and then sync the iPhone with the Acura.

Then I just went back to using the iPhone 4S with 5.0, and then 5.0.1.

Not gonna risk messing anything up to try it!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:46 PM
ZCL
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are a number of 2012 TL's that do not fully sync the phonebook. Mine is one as is the demo that the dealership I bought from. Acura is well aware of the issue and has not fixed it.

My phonebook never fully syncs. I can leave it for 20 minutes and it doesn't sync completely. If I come back to it 30 seconds later, it tries to resync the entire thing, even if the car has not been shut off. It's a software flaw.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Racer

Based on everything that I have read and heard ... the sync issue is related to certain operating systems and phones. Mine is on the approved list and I have no issues at all.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 PM
ZCL
Instructor

Based on everything that I have read and heard ... the sync issue is related to certain operating systems and phones. Mine is on the approved list and I have no issues at all.
Is that why the EVO, IOS 4 and now IOS 5 don't work?

Where's this list of shit phones that do sync properly?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Racer

http://www.acura.com/handsfreelink.aspx?ls=NLG&fs=NFN

FWIW, I never recommend jumping new electronics without a strong stomach. There is a cost to being "cutting edge" and those with Apple 4S phones, IOS 5, etc. are going to pay the price ... nothing personal, that is just how it works with electronics.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have an iphone 4 with 5.01 and I have not had any syncing issues. I have a 2009 tl and I like the fact the phone book only syncs when I want it to. Just because I add a number does not mean I need it sync right away. My main dialing numbers are my speed dial numbers. I would not like my phone to sync everytime I entered the car.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 02:07 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and don't have any sync issues.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (11-16-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 PM
ZCL
Instructor

And my Iphone 4 prior to IOS 5 had issues as did every other phone we tried. (We being the dealership) Same issue with their demo.

It's a glitch. Acura hasn't fixed it yet.