Radar Guns at night...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar Guns at night...

I was thinking about this last night, about 11:00 while on I40. How can a cop pull you over for speeding at night? Yeah, he can see your headlights comming, but what if there is alot of traffic, he won't be able to tell which one you were. Any thoughts, anyone ever been pulled over at night?
Old 10-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Night Vision.... make it possible.. or if the road is well illumintaed... no problem
Old 10-26-2002, 11:39 PM
At least it's not Jersey

At night there are fewer cars so "selecting" which car is registering on the gun is actually easier at night. I don't know of any cops that use night vision while running radar.

On crowded highways the weapon of choice is laser, night or day.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:49 AM
Race Director

Cops don't use night vision devices; not needed. Your eyes work at night and so does radar. Proper training and experience is what allows a cops to properly ticket you at night. Radars are more sophisticated these days which helps. Also cops implement the "out front and ahead" rule, visually ID the speeder, confirm with radar.

I've got many of tickets at night and from what I remember, they were all legit. In fact I can't remember a single time (couple dozen times) where a cop pulled me over for speed and was too high; low...yes; but never too high.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:05 AM
Suzuka Master

i have gotten all my tickets at night

sometimes they will be in the area between the pitch black and where the row of highway lights are located. one time i witness how they do it in the pitch black.

they scan
pull out
drive real slow then turn on headlights
creep a little more
scan again to confirm which car
then speed up and tail the person

sidemarker
Old 10-27-2002, 05:03 AM
TRELOS

Hold on how can pigs use lasers guns at night. I mean everyone is driving with their headlights on and that would defeat the functionality of the laser gun. My friend who is a local pig told me that no pigs use laser at night because of the headlights. He said that they would tag u with radar from the rear and call for a back up pig up ahead.

Juker008
Old 10-27-2002, 06:53 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
According to http://www.radar.co.nz/usa/usarticle5.html :
The effective range of laser, and its performance, are reduced by heavy rain, smoke, fog and any other airborne pollutants. Laser is difficult to use at night, as halogen headlights and driving lights give off substantial infrared light and this can reduce the performance of the laser substantially. High beam or spot/driving lights will blank out most laser guns! Targeting vehicles at night is difficult, the laser beam is not visible, and the operator is looking into vehicle headlights.
It doesn't say that it's impossible, it's just difficult. Probably more because of the "operator is looking into vehicle headlights" more than the IR energy sent by the headlights.
Using the method sidemarker described would get around both these problems (if they re-scan to confirm from behind on the car they think it is they they're not getting the headlights)
Old 10-27-2002, 01:14 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by einsatz
According to http://www.radar.co.nz/usa/usarticle5.html :

It doesn't say that it's impossible, it's just difficult. Probably more because of the "operator is looking into vehicle headlights" more than the IR energy sent by the headlights.
Using the method sidemarker described would get around both these problems (if they re-scan to confirm from behind on the car they think it is they they're not getting the headlights)
And that is with older laser. The new lasers are much better and more advanced and cheaper. It's just a matter of time before laser will work flawlessly at night. There is a demand for that type of equipment (the police demand it) so manufacturers make it. What about radar detector owners, do we get the good stuff? No the public doesn't demand it, they won't pay for it. Go over $75 and people say a radar detector is not worth it. Capitalism.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:21 PM
3rd Gear

dont worry bout lasers...yet

1. hardly will a cop hard laser, its just too expensive for most highway divisions.

2. lasers, like they said, get obstructed easily. if any of you military freaks out there like me know about miles gear, you know. its laser tag for the military. a leaf can stop a laser.

so for the most part, expect to see radar out there
Old 10-28-2002, 09:29 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by jonblazzin
dont worry bout lasers...yet

1. hardly will a cop hard laser, its just too expensive for most highway divisions.

2. lasers, like they said, get obstructed easily. if any of you military freaks out there like me know about miles gear, you know. its laser tag for the military. a leaf can stop a laser.

so for the most part, expect to see radar out there
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would feel very uncomfortable about speeding around with a non-laser detector even though laser is not the easiest to detect. Laser is everywhere, in nearly every state. Not as widely used a radar (1.cost and 2.non-moving) but I can almost guarantee you that not a single patrol officer has had his laser gun obstructed and defeated by a "leaf" or any other organic object. Don't overlook laser, it's there, it's for real, and it's dangerous to us speeders. MILES isn't anything like traffic laser, MILES is 80s technology.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kensteele
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would feel very uncomfortable about speeding around with a non-laser detector even though laser is not the easiest to detect. Laser is everywhere, in nearly every state. Not as widely used a radar (1.cost and 2.non-moving) but I can almost guarantee you that not a single patrol officer has had his laser gun obstructed and defeated by a "leaf" or any other organic object. Don't overlook laser, it's there, it's for real, and it's dangerous to us speeders. MILES isn't anything like traffic laser, MILES is 80s technology.
i dont think it matters when it comes to laser. with my passport 8500 there is no pre warning except when u get hit by it. k ka x we can defeat most of the time but laser just forget about it...

sidemarker
Old 10-29-2002, 07:58 AM
MP Video Extraordinaire

With Laser, all you can do is hope to detect a "splash" off a car in front of you. Light (visible or not) will splash off an object like water, and you may pick this up in time to slow down. Never run out front.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:47 AM
At least it's not Jersey

Come to CT; every city, town and Statie has laser. There's too much money in this state and the po-lice have plenty too. State police love laser at night here as well. They just go black on the side or medium of a highway and blam! They must having some success cuz they're always out there doing the same thing.

They still use X band too. I think most police cars in the state have radar (all bands) hanging off the window or sitting on the dash.

Let's not forget CT full-time speed trap team. Yep, they make so much money on tickets here there's a dedicated team somewhere in the state running a trap. Up to ten troppers on a particular stretch of highway just pulling over cars and writing tickets. Usually one cop sits on an overpass or entrance ramp tagging cars from the back as they pass. He radios ahead and the car gets wave over by the waiting trippers. Those who don't pull over get chase by the 2-3 troppers waiting in their cars. It's a business to them and the state. A toll for the unwary driver.

To back this up, the CT State police had a dispute with their contract several years ago. They can't strike so instead they stopped giving tickets and just wrote warnings. They did this for 1 week. The state caved after one week and made concessions. Everyone was happy the CSP went back to writing tickets.

That is why, Ken, I use a laser jammer... Front and rear.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:00 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by kensteele
Proper training and experience is what allows a cops to properly ticket you at night.

i've talked to a few NY State Troopers, and they've discussed how they go through a rigorous training of detecting tail lights at night, and since our cars r not exactly popular, telling the cop "u've got the wrong CL" doesn't hold much water