Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taillights mod question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM
PDX

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Taillights mod question

I'm wanting to do the "red stripes" taillight mod to my 04 base reds. Though I couldn't find a diy to explain the process. I know how to cut/seal the lights, but I'm confused on the tinting process. Do I need regular window tint, vinyl or something else? Thanks for any help!

Name:  Screenshot_2014-08-29-12-38-06_1.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  41.8 KB
Old 08-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts
If you have a spray gun you can mix a like 8 black paint drops into a cup of clear and mix it. Spray layers until you have the desired tint. You could also use a smoke paint that you get at an utoparts store. I highly recommend sending them to Aaron a www.wizedetails.com a.k.a Undyingdreams or Bruce a.k.a JnC both are her on the forum.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
^^ Bruce is AckTL05 lol.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts
I get the names mixed up, you get the point lmfao Quang
Old 08-29-2014, 09:41 PM
The Boss

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts
Endlessrpm.com you could just buy the red stripes straight up from him. This is bruces website
Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 PM
PDX

I've thought about buying them, but I have an extra pair laying around and didn't mind taking a shot at the job. But from the sound of your guys responses, it seems like it can be tricky and would just be smart to let a vet do it for me.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Was it you that i was emailing? Wasn't aaron banned from here for scamming people? I don't get why people trust the guy. There are a few links that help open them up in the garage.

undying dreams is a whole different person than mr wise.
The following users liked this post:
Dwilliams92 (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Safety Car

yeah undying dreams and Aaron wise are two different people.

Aaron wise was banned from Acurazine for scamming people including me. His username was Sharksbreath I believe.

Please don't give him any business.

Undying Dreams is a cool guy. I bought his wheels from him. He doesn't do custom work as a service though.

I think you got the names mixed up again Travis lmao. Lay off the hay!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Lol at everyone bashing Aaron^^^ I sent both my headlights & taillights to Bruce. We agreed on the headlights being cleared out, he sent them back blacked out with carbon fiber? Didn't question it at the time because it didn't look too bad. They weren't sealed very well as they would always fog up, same with the tails with dirt & moisture. He gave me the run around about them being cracked etc. etc. but he said he fixed the crack & everything else. My point, Aaron does tremendous work as i know more than a handful of people who sent their lights to him recently including me, and the turn around was very quick & professional. Check out his instagram for pictures of his work
Old 08-30-2014, 12:05 PM
PDX

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Was it you that i was emailing?
Yeah we talked a while back about some custom work on both my heads and tails, but at the time I was so indecisive about what I wanted, I just decided to hold off, but expect a text from me soon!

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Undying Dreams is a cool guy. I bought his wheels from him. He doesn't do custom work as a service though.
Thanks for fixing the name mix up!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Luketic
Lol at everyone bashing Aaron^^^ I sent both my headlights & taillights to Bruce. We agreed on the headlights being cleared out, he sent them back blacked out with carbon fiber? Didn't question it at the time because it didn't look too bad. They weren't sealed very well as they would always fog up, same with the tails with dirt & moisture. He gave me the run around about them being cracked etc. etc. but he said he fixed the crack & everything else. My point, Aaron does tremendous work as i know more than a handful of people who sent their lights to him recently including me, and the turn around was very quick & professional. Check out his instagram for pictures of his work
First of all I have OCD and your headlight was cracked to begin with and your tail lights came chipped which I showed you pictures of, bezel inside was cracked but you didn't want to buy another one. Your turn signal chrome was cracked, which i replaced. The adjustment screw was missing (which they don't sell separate so I said ($3) and its yours, side of the bezel was cracked. Your headlights were VERY hazy and you were the first guy to get my restore service which I ONLY charged you $40 which that WASN'T even enough to cover the film because we agreed that it was my first time and you said its ok. I don't charge for things I'm not 100% at and talk with the customer first….

Check your texts because you said to me.. "before i forget, can you check out why that one HID cover was loose. I think thats why its letting moisture in"..then I asked you if you sealed the crack when you got the lights, because we again agreed that I did not want to fix it and be held reliable because fixing a cracked headlight which i stand behind my work, isn't something I would like to do and you replied.."I think i sealed it". then you texted me again "Actually I didn't put the silica in. i thought you meant the silicone across the crack. I will put them in when i install the switchbacks"….the silica was given because it NEEDs to absorb the moisture.

then three weeks of explaining what wire to splice, how to install the heads, how to install the tails, what goes where, how to hook up a ballast, what fogs to get and how to wire them…IM THE BAD GUY??

so time goes on and yes the laminx was cut SLIGHTY off, but again…we AGREED that it was my first time and you paid less than cost of the film but all you did was text me complaining and bashing my work on the pages…not even maturely coming to me and talking it out which I ALWAYS stand behind my work. I even gave you a deal on the carbon fiber wrapped bezel because you were the first customer and you a agreed, plus I have to work around that crack which was a pain..

PLUS IIRC you said you needed them back ASAP…so I pushed you ahead and spent time I normally don't to fulfill your needs and then you text me back saying you need two weeks to pay me (knowing I just spent extra time) and staying up late doing this.

PLUS I fixed your cracked bezel for free, and showed you that wrapping it in carbon fiber will show the crack, yet again..you agreed but couldn't afford to replace the bezel. So what happens next? you text me saying that the cf your not happy with because you can see the crack…

ALSO, didn't you need the ballast because your headlights were leaking bad? did they leak after? no…they fogged which means your headlight is still cracked and you didn't use enough silicone or there is a crack you missed. I even tried working something out for a MINT UN DAMAGED set but you didn't want to pay anything, but lets pay aaron...

i've bent over backwards and even gave you a deal on getting both done which I never do because its custom work, fixed your headlights which came broken as a favor and I get this abuse? I TOLD you to send them back and I will fix them. Your "fog" was slight which I told you to let the silica packet absorb the moisture but I bet you went to aaron and aaron said some kind of lies which he does to make me sound like I don't know what Im doing to make you believe he is right...

Yes, a cracked headlight will tend to fog up and 600+ plus pictures of my work on Instagram, been on here as a paid vendor since 2009, death with and sold to thousands of customers but lets send our stuff to a person who was banned for ripping people off and bash my work…guess one can't please them all..

As per your tail lights, I open,clean up all the extra dirt, wipe down the insides and then use compressed air to make sure its clean..then assemble…the pictures you sent me were an inch away and showed what looked like spider cracks, maybe a little dust here or there…after all they are custom/opened/shipped/installed…etc..

So…theres my response because sometimes things are left unsaid which makes one parties statement false..you can't fix a cracked back headlight and expect it to me perfect…I will post pictures because that fog is very minimal and its not a leak which you used to have..

Lets not get into the other guys work, because I have an album of over 70 pictures of how he rushes people, makes sure one pays up front in full, never refunds, lies, blocks after problems, scams and does less than par work for top dollar..
The following users liked this post:
Luketic (09-04-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 06:13 PM
The Boss

Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 PM
PDX

Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Old 09-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just got myself an 05 TL and looking to smoke out the tail lights rather than brand new. Is it a tough diy or worth giving a try?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Meck93
Just got myself an 05 TL and looking to smoke out the tail lights rather than brand new. Is it a tough diy or worth giving a try?
Depends. Are you talking about smoking it out by painting the exterior lens?

Or are you talking about smoking it out by painting the INTERIOR of the tail lamps like the ones pictured in the very first post of this thread?

Those are completely 2 different styles and 1 is a walk in the park while the other is a little more difficult.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Lol, I tried contacting you about & you just gave me the run around yet again on them. Why in the hell would i want silica packets in my headlights? They should be sealed up well enough to where NO moisture gets in. And you mentioned nothing about fixing the Laminix. Now, if you want to go over all of this again, id be more than happy. If not, ill go to Aaron. Your choice
Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM
The Boss

Lol, I tried contacting you about & you just gave me the run around yet again on them. Why in the hell would i want silica packets in my headlights? They should be sealed up well enough to where NO moisture gets in. And you mentioned nothing about fixing the Laminix. Now, if you want to go over all of this again, id be more than happy. If not, ill go to Aaron. Your choice
stock comes with silica packets but you want modded ones without? Moisture can get in when you change a bulb. Its like having the option of free added protection and refusing.

Last edited by Nick216; 09-04-2014 at 05:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick216:
jo-nathanpham (09-06-2014), rockyfeller (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick216
stock comes with silica packets but you want modded ones without? Moisture can get in when you change a bulb. Its like having the option of free added protection and refusing.
They're actually in there bud, and don't really do anything.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
My bone stock, unmodified, accident-free headlights get moisture sometimes.
Just sayin'
Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by 96SC4
My bone stock, unmodified, accident-free headlights get moisture sometimes.
Just sayin'
My bone stock never opened headlights silica packet was like about to explode. Looked like a rock. Just sayin
Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Safety Car

They're actually in there bud, and don't really do anything.
Please tell me how you know they aren't doing anything? They are silica packets. I'm sure you already know yourself that they absorb moisture.

With that being said how do you know if they "don't really do anything" ?

Are you expecting to be able to watch moisture get absorbed by the silica packet with your naked eyes?

Like everyone else said already all oem stock headlights come with silica packets already in them. For you to say "Why in the hell would i want silica packets in my headlights?" really shows how genius you are.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
ooo interesting, so the acura engineers were just like "fuck it lets put a silica packet in every TL headlight for fun even though it won't do anything"?

Also, how would you even possible see them "working"? Do you have superhuman eyes that can see when humidity is being absorbed? I think you could make a living off that! lucky you!
Old 09-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
I always wondered wth those things inside the headlights were..

I now know thanks guys!

any this thread is hilarious just saying
Old 09-04-2014, 11:33 PM
PDX

Uhhh...I just wanted help with my diy....
Old 09-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Sorry Dwill...I hear ya these tails look great and would be interested in doing something similar for my '04 WDP.

I would shoot Rockstar143 (Jeremy) a pm regarding these tails because I believe he modded these "super reds" if I'm not mistaken and he might be able to point you in the right direction.

On a side note - I dealt with Bruce in getting my A-Spec kit and he was great to deal with. Great price/fast shipping - always got back to me when I had questions. Just thought I'd share
The following 2 users liked this post by DarkTower19:
96SC4 (09-05-2014), Dwilliams92 (09-06-2014)