My Nexus 7 USB-ROM Install

Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by aameghoo
I'm thinking about just getting this http://www.isimplesolutions.com/talk...r-gateway.html for my Isimple gateway and calling it a day. This should give me steering wheel control of the nexus 7 as well as being able to switch between the nexus and my phone. I just hope there isn't a noticeable difference in sound quality between Bluetooth and a direct 3.5mm connection.

Also as a side note. Using an app like GMD GestureControl might make things more convenient. You can make custom gestures to do certain things. For example you could make a custom gesture that if you swipe to the right with 3 fingers at any time, on any screen, it switches to the next track. I think it's worth checking out since there are many possibilities, that's just one example.
That should work, gestures will as well.

I'm using USB though, to get into my headunit for the audio and control of everything.

I have a widget for poweramp on the tablet and it has the buttons to switch tracks and what-not and I've also been creating buttons using tasker to place so I can run different commands or functions by tapping the tasker shortcut.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question there is no was you can use the stock oem volume buttons or am/fm antenna then ?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shamrock Racing
Question there is no was you can use the stock oem volume buttons or am/fm antenna then ?
The way I integrated it all stock functionality of the headunit and all associated controls are still completely operational, even the XM radio.

The stock volume controls also will adjust the volume for audio coming from the tablet as the tablet outputs to an USB DAC (digital audio converter) which outputs stereo L/R channels into the headunit.

So all audio from the tablet is processed by the factory headunit and output to the stock amplifier and all of the stock speakers.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

this is a good way to start the year, thank you
Is there a way you can show the pics
on how you did it? they are not showing, Thank you again.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Sorry to thread jack but has anyone installed one of these where it's really cold? How does nexus 7 handle cold weather. I know that my iphone stops working these days while I am in the car in the morning even if it's in my pocket.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I live in Minnesota with highs around 0 degrees Fahrenheit the past few days. It has handled it fine. I have the 2013 version installed and just upgraded to android 5.0 and timurs kernel. Yesterday while I was sitting in work all day had no battery drain and it started right up. I personally have never had issues with the cold. I have more of an issue with heat causing it to shut down in the summer if it is sitting parked in the sun.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by tjl_48
I live in Minnesota with highs around 0 degrees Fahrenheit the past few days. It has handled it fine. I have the 2013 version installed and just upgraded to android 5.0 and timurs kernel. Yesterday while I was sitting in work all day had no battery drain and it started right up. I personally have never had issues with the cold. I have more of an issue with heat causing it to shut down in the summer if it is sitting parked in the sun.
hmmm, I don't know if it gets cold in the US anywhere like it does here, that's why this question was a long shot really. But it's good to know that it still works at 0F. The last week or so it has been -26F here every day. I don't know if the tablet would work on those temps. I don't have to worry about heat really
Old 01-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Egarcia74
this is a good way to start the year, thank you
Is there a way you can show the pics
on how you did it? they are not showing, Thank you again.
I still have some pics, I'll upload them again. I removed the original ones from my picasa account and no longer have them.

I'm also looking at an android 5.0 integration for the 2012 version of the Nexus 7 since I'll be doing this to my 2012 Accord soon as well, but a bit differently.

Here's a setup that should work for 5.0 on the 2012 N7, I haven't tested anything yet though.

This kernel has the USB fast charging support:

[KERNEL] [ANDROID 4.3-5.0] LeanKernel: Minim… | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums

and then there are some ROMs that are android 5.0 I was going to try this one:

[Rom] [5.0.2][F2FS] Freak-SlimLp (GCC 4.8 &a… | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums

It looks like autodroid might've been abandoned, just have to be ready to move to something else if you want to keep updating lol.. or pay for the 2013 version which Timur is supporting with USB-ROM for people that pay.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:06 PM
6th Gear

Has anyone had any success getting the Nexus 7 2013 installed in the TL? I'm running into the dreaded usb cable not fitting issue, and was wondering if anyone had solved it? I'm thinking about breaking open the AC buttons on one side and seeing if there's any way I can make a hole for the wire to run through in there. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Stric9
Has anyone had any success getting the Nexus 7 2013 installed in the TL? I'm running into the dreaded usb cable not fitting issue, and was wondering if anyone had solved it? I'm thinking about breaking open the AC buttons on one side and seeing if there's any way I can make a hole for the wire to run through in there. Any ideas would be appreciated.
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...on-nav-921239/
The following users liked this post:
triax37 (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 12:58 PM
6th Gear

Thanks! I'm really surprised I haven't come across that thread in all my searching.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Here are some pictures again:

The little blade connectors I pulled off of a switch, they can be plugged directly into the 12V harness for the accessory socket that was removed with the storage cubbies.

Had to pay attention to the polarity when wiring up the other side, that goes into the hub. The little diagram on them tells you if the inner conductor is the positive or negative, some are one way and others are the other so have to pay attention.

That's the ground wire I stick under one of the bolts holding in the headunit bracket to the dash, since that whole thing is tied to ground.

Brackets I made to hold the board -- these are pieces of metal from the case that was around the circuit board.

I soldered that wire onto the board there where it was attached to ground through the case.

USB-OTG pin-out to make your own cable..

Block Diagram

I've got a video I made uploading right now showing how to do an in-line splice I'll post it later.

Last edited by mzilvar; 01-09-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Brilliant that's some phenomenal work.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Registered Bunny

Very clean stuff mzilvar. Went a bit crazy too with the 7 ports USB hub! That could be a lot of storage hahaha
Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'm actually putting together a setup for my accord with a 4-port USB hub, FiiO E10k and a smaller DC-DC power supply (3A) since the smaller hub doesn't need as much power.

The accord already has a 3.5mm aux-in port from the factory and I'm planning on doing a magnet mount for my tablet, with a magicmount original right in front of my navi.

:: MagicMount ::

Pretty small, so I'll be able to remove it from the accord and still use it as a tablet as well and still access the other features on my navi display (trip computer etc.).

My voice recognition should work fine that way as well and I donated for theappyourcar controller perk, hopefully I'll get one this summer.

I have to make another USB-OTG cable too, this time I'm going to pot the BOB in a small enclosure I have for it, since the cable will be out by the magicmount all the time don't want a bare circuit board hanging around.

I forgot how expensive it was to make that custom USB-OTG cable .. lol it was like $40 in parts to ensure a 20AWG connection all of the way across the cable.

Last edited by mzilvar; 01-14-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by mzilvar
Thanks, I'm actually putting together a setup for my accord with a 4-port USB hub, FiiO E10k and a smaller DC-DC power supply (3A) since the smaller hub doesn't need as much power.

The accord already has a 3.5mm aux-in port from the factory and I'm planning on doing a magnet mount for my tablet, with a magicmount original right in front of my navi.

:: MagicMount ::

Pretty small, so I'll be able to remove it from the accord and still use it as a tablet as well and still access the other features on my navi display (trip computer etc.).

My voice recognition should work fine that way as well and I donated for theappyourcar controller perk, hopefully I'll get one this summer.

I have to make another USB-OTG cable too, this time I'm going to pot the BOB in a small enclosure I have for it, since the cable will be out by the magicmount all the time don't want a bare circuit board hanging around.

I forgot how expensive it was to make that custom USB-OTG cable .. lol it was like $40 in parts to ensure a 20AWG connection all of the way across the cable.
That's definitely Monster brand HDMI cable sort of pricing.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:02 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious, Has anyone one experienced lots of power drain during idle? My nexus 7 draws about 12-14% of its battery during sleep. Any help to reduce the power drain would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ do you turn off wifi/bt/gps etc while sleep? also look at whats draining your battery (some processes run in the back and suck the battery)...

do run a battery calibration as well...mine drains about 2-3% per night
Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Both my wifi and bt are off. I will try to see if turning off my gps will help. Will report back. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:29 AM
2nd Gear

newbie here

hello everybody, im a newbie and have never done any customs of such but after watching a few videos, i really want this setup in my car. I was desperately searching for a step by step video but couldnt find any. Tried calling up a shop but their prices are ridiculous these written steps on acurazine sounds like magic lol, any further help anyone can offer besides these steps like a video demo or something? thx
Old 05-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by asap_bob
hello everybody, im a newbie and have never done any customs of such but after watching a few videos, i really want this setup in my car. I was desperately searching for a step by step video but couldnt find any. Tried calling up a shop but their prices are ridiculous these written steps on acurazine sounds like magic lol, any further help anyone can offer besides these steps like a video demo or something? thx
There are many threads on this subject. Usually, they also reference other forums.
Here is mine.
  • I suggest reading through a few of these in it's entirety. Everyone did things a little different and then changed things later on (I still am). Set the Nexus up with the custom rom and the basic apps needed. Use recovery to create a backup. Finish the tablet before you pull the car apart.
  • Decide if you are going to reroute the buttons, I would at least do the power button.
  • Once you're happy with the Nexus, including the OTG cable and testing the amount of power lost overnight (~3%), start on the car.
  • If you don't have much experience at all, right the procedure down first. Take pictures as you take the car apart for reference when putting back together.

Good Luck
Old 05-22-2015, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear

I have the non navigation model, where do i re route buttons to. also i want to be able to control volume from my steering. how can i do that
Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by asap_bob
I have the non navigation model, where do i re route buttons to. also i want to be able to control volume from my steering. how can i do that
Volume:
Volume is not an issue. You're not removing/disabling anything with the radio. All you're really doing is connecting a device to an aux input. Turn the volume up all the way on the Nexus, then control the actual volume with the "radio" controls.

Reroute Buttons:
You'll need to get a little creative. You can buy momentary switches/buttons like this
HERE"><span style=HERE" /> HERE">HERE
. There are some with an led ring which would be pretty sweet. Anyways, get 3 momentary buttons. You can then mount those where navi buttons would be. Doing this means no turning back since there would be holes if you give up on it. Otherwise, get creative with where to install the buttons. If you have read my post, I also linked aameghoo's thread. He has a temporary fix to the buttons.