BMW: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post Laser Headlights To Make Motorsports Debut at the Nürburgring Race

From here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...g-24-hour-race

You've seen the photos, read about the technology, and made plenty of "frickin' lasers" jokes. Now, watch as BMW's laser headlights get their first motorsport test.

The German carmaker will bring the technology to the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring Nordschliefe, in what it says is the first use of laser headlights in racing.

Four BMW Z3 GT3 racers campaigned by BMW Sports Trophy Team Schubert and BMW Sports Trophy Team Marc VDS equipped with the innovative lightingtech--which will also be available on the 2015 i8 plug-in hybrid road car--completed qualifying for the June race this past weekend.

First shown on the i8 concept at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, the headlights offer several potential benefits, including increased range and clarity. That's because laser light is monochromatic--the light emitted has a single wavelength, rather than the full-color spectrum emitted by other lighting systems.

This allows for far greater light density and a more precise beam pattern. BMW claims the laser's range is more than 600 meters, about twice the range of the average LED headlight.

BMW says this offers significant safety benefits on the track. The increased range will provide better visibility, while the more-focused beam will help keep the lights from blinding other drivers.

Laser lights are also more energy-efficient than LEDs and--because a laser diode is 10 times smaller than a conventional light diode--smaller. This makes them easier to package and reduces weight--always a good thing in a race car.

BMW laser headlights will hit the track for the Nürburgring 24-hour race this June, and will hit showrooms on the 2015 i8 this fall.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yumcha:
Legend2TL (04-09-2014), ttribe (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
^ but when will we have laser cats?
The following users liked this post:
charliemike (04-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Solar Charging Carport Concept

Info from here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...functional-art

So you have a new BMW i3 or i8 in your driveway, and you’re loving the freedom the electric-drive capability gives you—but you’d like to be even greener? BMW DesignworksUSA has the answer with its stunningly simple, high-tech solar carport.

It’s still a concept design at this stage, but the bamboo and carbon fiber structure just begs to be built. Supported atop the structure is an array of solar panels that harvest the sun’s energy and store it in you BMW i-vehicle.

In addition to being greener than charging from the grid, the solar energy carport allows the BMW i owner to be more self-sufficient in their energy supply. To harness the energy from the solar panels, a BMW i Wallbox Pro is needed. Once integrated, the carport and Wallbox Pro can then directly charge either the i3 or i8. With the Wallbox Pro’s features, excess solar energy not needed to charge the car can be used by the connected house.

“With the solar carport concept we opted for a holistic approach: not only is the vehicle itself sustainable, but so is its energy supply,” explained Tom Allemann of BMW Designworks USA. “This is therefore an entirely new generation of carports that allows energy to be produced in a simple and transparent way. It renders the overarching theme of lightweight design both visible and palpable.”

BMW’s beautiful, functional solar carport certainly complements the ethos behind the company’s i brand.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Post GoPro Camera Integration to be Available

From here: http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-vehi...#ixzz34XC0E6dg

BMW has announced a new partnership with camera maker GoPro that promises to make it a little easier to capture track-day heroics or a scenic country drive.

Starting this July, 2012 and newer BMW Group vehicles equipped with either the BMW Apps or MINI Connected will be able to integrate with Wi-Fi-equipped GoPro cameras via the vehicle's onboard infotainment system. An iPhone 4 or newer running the GoPro app is also required.

In order for the system to work, the iPhone must be paired with the Wi-Fi-enabled camera and then connected to the vehicle with either a USB cable or BMW's iPhone adaptor. From there, the GoPro app is displayed on the vehicle's infotainment screen and the controls are handled through either the BMW ConnectedDrive or the MINI Connected menus.

The BMW interface doesn't tap all of the functionality of GoPro's cameras, but does offer six different recording modes, including two for time-lapses. The camera's record function can also be started and stopped from behind the wheel.

A preview of the video shot is display on the vehicle's center screen but, in order to reduce driver distraction, is only available when the vehicle in in park.

"GoPro is a natural fit for BMW enthusiast drivers," said Phil Johnston, Head of BMW Group AppCenter USA. "The power and flexibility of the BMW group App Integration Platform coupled with GoPro's advanced camera technology brings new, safe, and engaging experiences to the enthusiasts that were previously not possible."

GoPro hasn't announced if it will extend its vehicle integration to any other manufacturers, be we suspect similar partnerships could be in the works.

More info here: http://gopro.com/news/bmw-group-tech...ra-integration

Last edited by Yumcha; 06-15-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Linking the post regarding the collaboration with Toyota for "Project Silk Road 2": https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=150
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

News on collaboration with Mercedes-Benz on wireless charging: https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=221

Tying the two threads together.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

News on collaboration with Mercedes-Benz on wireless charging: https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=221

Tying the two threads together.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Hybrid Supercar Speculation

From here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ybrid-supercar

BMW turns 100 in 2016 and you can bet the automaker will mark the occasion with something special… like a celebratory vehicle. We’ve already heard that BMW might launch a hardcore version of its M4 or perhaps a new supercar from its M division. Now there are claims that we might see BMW launch a new hybrid supercar called the i9, a name the automaker does have a trademark for.

The news comes from Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, which has made some wild claims in the past so we would take the latest with a grain of salt. According to the magazine, the new i9 will follow in the footsteps of BMW’s last supercar, the M1, but will also highlight the automaker’s commitment to vehicle electrification by packing a hybrid drivetrain.

BMW is unlikely to develop a new chassis for the i9, so it would likely be based on the i8’s design. However, a six-cylinder engine is said to replace the i8’s three-cylinder, and assuming it’s a straight-six it’s not clear how it will fit in the i8 chassis without serious modification. That’s because the engine in the i8 is transverse-mounted.

Auto Motor und Sport also reports that the new i9 will weigh more than the 3,285-pound i8 because of its uprated drivetrain, but thanks to more power (the i8’s peak is 362 horsepower) its performance will be better. The 0-60 mph run is said to take less than 4.0 seconds.

If BMW ever gets around to building a proper super sports car, should it have a big-cube, high-revving engine or a sophisticated hybrid system? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Post BMW To Test Autonomous Cars

While Audi and Mercedes-Benz have made headlines recently with news they’ve received permits to test autonomous cars on California’s roads, BMW has now revealed that it plans to start testing self-driving cars in China. Like its rivals, BMW has been testing its own autonomous car technology for the past several years in Europe.

Now, BMW is embarking on a further research project, which it says will pave the way for autonomous, or “highly automated” as BMW labels it, driving in China. Whereas typical features that have to be taken into account in Europe include tunnels, national borders and toll stations, China’s fast-expanding urban centers also present engineers with challenges such as multi-level highways.

The project will run for the next two years and include a number of prototypes. BMW’s prototypes rely on digital maps, GPS, and radar and camera sensors for their control, and at present the autonomous driving is only done in highway situations. One of BMW’s key partners in the development of its autonomous cars has been Continental.

Like most automakers, BMW sees autonomous driving as a way to reduce accidents, essentially by eliminating human error. In addition to the safety aspect, autonomous driving is also expected to enhance comfort and efficiency.

Note, Mercedes-Benz is the only automaker at present to have in its lineup a car capable of driving autonomously. Cadillac has confirmed it will launch its own semi-autonomous vehicle for the 2017 model year and Audi has said it will have the technology available before the end of the decade. BMW has also stated in the past that it will have a semi-autonomous system available by the end of the decade.
Source: BMW To Test Autonomous Cars In China
Old 09-29-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
^^^
Old 09-30-2014, 12:56 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Couldn't think of a better place for them do it. Russia and India would come to mind as well.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Ferrari Chief Engineer Joins BMW

I believe oonowindoo posted the news from Autoblog yesterday in the car discussion thread in Car Talk...but, posting it in here for continuity and ease of search later...

From Motor Authority: Ferrari Chief Engineer Joins BMW

Ferrari chief engineer Roberto Fedeli, the man who headed the development of some of the world’s best performance cars like the LaFerrari, F12 Berlinetta and 458 Italia, will soon be working for BMW. The German automaker has confirmed Fedeli will join it in November but hasn’t revealed what role he will fill.

Fedeli is a Ferrari veteran, having joined the firm in 1988 and having led its engineering department since 2007. While news of his departure comes just days before Luca di Montezemolo is set to retire, a Ferrari spokesman has revealed to Automotive News (subscription required) that Fedeli’s decision has nothing to do with the exit of the longstanding Ferrari chairman and incoming reign of Sergio Marchionne.

As mentioned, it’s not clear what role Fedeli will fill at BMW. The most likely scenario would see him end up at the M division although sources have revealed that a position at Rolls-Royce is also possible. Note, only weeks ago, BMW confirmed that the former head of Audi’s quattro performance division, Franciscus van Meel, will run the M division after current chief Friedrich Nitschke retires at the end of the year.

Perhaps the latest moves are a signal BMW is finally serious about launching a high-performance sports car to take on the likes of the Audi R8 and Mercedes-AMG GT. After all, the automaker will soon have the men in charge of development of the R8 and Laferrari among its ranks.

Replacing Fedeli at Ferrari will be former Porsche engineer Michael Leiters, who joined the Italian firm back in January.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Thank god i posted something new for once. Not a repost!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Thank god i posted something new for once. Not a repost!

BTW, it's generally encouraged to post news-related stuff in threads like this.

Makes for searching and etc. easier down the road.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

Can we merge the 2/3/4 series all into this?

There are a lot of new whoring with BMW now.

X4 M40i, 2 series Touring,
Old 10-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Can we merge the 2/3/4 series all into this?

There are a lot of new whoring with BMW now.

X4 M40i, 2 series Touring,
Hey, windy...thanks for both those posts. I've moved them to the model-specific threads since both posts were well, model-specific.

This thread (and the other manufacturer-Development and Technology news threads) is meant for general development news from BMW that is not yet model-specific. So, therefore, new engines, transmissions, and etc. go in here.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Team Owner

this is almost as confusing as BMW's whoring itself.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Centenary Supercar News

We'll update the appropriate thread or create a new thread when an official model name comes from BMW...but, for now, put it in here...

More and more details are emerging about a new BMW supercar debuting in 2016 to mark the German automaker’s centenary. Previously, we heard that the carmight be a new standalone supercar from the M division, or that it might be a new i8-based model called the i9, which BMW has a trademark for.

According to the latest report from Automobile, the new supercar will be i8-based but rather than using an i9 badge it will simply be called an i8S. Using the i8 platform makes sense from a financial perspective but we’re not sure if such a vehicle will be distinct enough to stand out among the crowd of new high-end sports cars making their way onto the market, such as the second-generation Audi R8, Acura NSX, Mercedes-AMG GT and potential Maserati Alfieri-based GranSport.

The good news is that the car should be one of the most technologically advanced and best performing cars in the segment. In charge of the project is said to BMW i chief Ulrich Kranz but more importantly former Ferrari chief engineer Roberto Fedeli is thought to be working on the project. Fedeli was in charge of developing another hybrid supercar, the LaFerrari, and was recently hired by BMW.

Previously, it was thought that the new car would ditch the i8 hybrid drivetrain’s three-cylinder engine for one of BMW’s signature straight-sixes. However, the latest report suggests BMW is undecided on whether it should use a straight-six or a four-cylinder. Both options are being evaluated but the end goal is a car with at least 500 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. This output will be made by the engineat the rear axle and an electric motor up front.

The i8’s carbon fiber ‘life module’ and aluminum-intensive ‘drive module’ will remain but with even lighter materials to further save weight while also increasing rigidity. Everything will be upgraded, making the car an almost all-new design. Even the body will receive a number of tweaks to improve aerodynamic efficiency. Don’t be surprised if we see a few active elements.

As mentioned, a debut is expected in 2016 as part of BMW’s centenary celebrations. Other special models are planned, too. These are said to include a hardcore version of the M4, a new fuel cell-powered car based on the 5-Series Grand Tourer, and a replacement for the Z4 based on a platform being developed together with Toyota for its Supra successor.
Source: More Details On BMW?s Centenary Supercar
Old 12-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
uhhhh. wow.

BMW Will Make Plug-In-Hybrid Versions of Every Major Model

In the race to find a suitable high-efficiency, low-emission drivetrain, BMW has gone all-in: The company announced today that it will spread the plug-in-hybrid tech from its future-powered i8 spaceship-mobile across all of its models. And the 3-series is the first in line, built on the plug-in drivetrain shown above.

BMW vows that, going forward, it will offer plug-in-hybrid versions of its “core-brand models,” beginning with a 3-series prototype to be unveiled in Miramas, France. That 3-series will feature “a four-cylinder petrol engine with an electric motor,” though BMW did not provide details on displacement, battery size, or expected power output.

While the company says it will offer numerous plug-in versions, it’s not putting all its eggs in this sole basket, calling plug-in tech “one key lever” to bring CO2 emissions of high-performance cars down below the target of 100 grams per kilometer. The automaker says this type of drivetrain can retain “the driving pleasure and driving dynamics of a BMW.”

BMW describes its eDrive system as a modular, scalable setup, building high-voltage battery modules for cars as different as the i8 and the upcoming X5 eDrive on the same assembly line. The statement released today promises future lithium-ion battery systems with capacity “greatly in excess of current hybrid systems,” predicting an all-electric driving range of up to 62 miles.

We’ve known for some time that BMW is working on a plug-in-hybrid X5, pairing a 24o-hp 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder with a 95-hp electric motor integrated into the eight-speed automatic transmission, and rumor has it that the company is preparing an X3 with the same drivetrain. Given how effective this powertrain is in the i8, we think this is a pretty good move.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

LOL @ 600hp @ 3500 lbs
An uncorroborated/unsourced rumor coming from CAR claims that the next generation 6 Series (G15) and M6 will shed some massive weight.

All three 6 Series variants are reportedly going on a diet, with the coupe losing over 500 pounds, to approximately 3,450 pounds and the convertible also dropping 500 pounds to 3,750 pounds. Both models are claimed to be coming down in size as well. The Gran Coupe will also be getting lighter, despite growing in size with a longer wheelbase.

The weight reductions would be in large part owed to the advanced modular architecture which we've been referring to as 35up for the next generation 3-series, 5-series (G30) and larger models, and which has recently been renamed CLAR, which stands for cluster architecture. CLAR introduces a lightweight advanced material mix with some carbon fiber, high-strength steel, magnesium, titanium and aluminum alloys.

Along with xDrive AWD, CAR claims new 6 and 8 cylinder engines, with the 3.0L 6 cylinder turbo making 347 horsepower, the 4.4L V8 making 476 horsepowers and the M6's twin-turbo V8 hitting 600 horsepower.

That there are such specific weight and power figures revealed for a model not expected for a couple of years makes portions of the report somewhat dubious, but what we can safely expect is that the G15 generation of 6 Series will lose weight from the current models and that power and performance will be increased.
ttribe (12-03-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Team Owner

Yummy, where you gonna move my post now?

some of these new features are laughable.

11/06/14 UPDATE
--------------------------------------

Well, G30 is finally here! USA is getting 530i, 540i, 550i, and 540d. Currently, only xDrive versions of 540d and 550i are listed for the U.S., but that may change - plenty of time for that. Can't say anything about the engines: like I mentioned before, my source is more limited now. But I won't be surprised if the gas engines are the same we already know about from the next 3- and 7-series, and the 540d is the new B57.

Also, there's F60 Mini Countryman on the horizon. Regular and S versions, FWD and AWD.

Update on new 7 series options:

- i8 style display keyfob
- selective headlight beam (I'm sure everyone expected that)
- active steering still there for the clueless
- new climate related options: "heating comfort" and "ambient air" packages
- automatic parking with remote control
- touchscreen (confirming what was suggested by the recent spyshots)
- new drive assist is called "active comfort drive"
- gesture control (feel free to guess what this one might do)
- rear passenger oriented options will provide heated/massaged/ventilated lounge chairs and online entertainment
- wireless charging for phones

F30 options that are new for LCI:
- LED headlights and foglights
- selective headlight beam
- BMW Individual is being considered for F30
- New touchscreen system from 7 series is unlikely at this time

12/12/14 UPDATE

Here's the list of newly created options you will likely see in BMW cars 1-2 years from now. It's unknown, which specific cars will have them. Wheel styles, colors, lines, and trims have been omitted.

5AS BMW laser lights
2VS active comfort drive with camera
6U9 BMW touch command
5AV active guard
407 panorama glass roof "sky lounge"
6WD wifi hotspot
3DS BMW display key
3KA acoustic comfort windows
4HB heat comfort package, front
4HC heat comfort package
443 LED flashing warning light blue/yellow
4VC inductive charging
4VD preparation, inductive charging
4F5 executive lounge rear console
4FH climate comfort seats
6FR rear entertainment experience
5A1 side view assist
4HA seat heating, front and rear
5DM parking assistant (working name)
5DN parking assistant plus (working name)
5H1 range extender (working name)
6NP USA telephony
4F4 executive lounge seating
3CL welcome light carpet
6AG e-drive services
6U8 BMW gesture control
3CM leather engine cover
ttribe (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

oonowindy: Always an appropriate thread to catalog a post for car news and stuff.

And when in doubt, I park everything in the Looks-like-an-Accord or Look-at-This-Exotic-For-Sale! threads.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:11 PM

Yummy, where you gonna move my post now?

some of these new features are laughable.
Frickin' Laser Beams!

Yumcha (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yumcha
oonowindy: Always an appropriate thread to catalog a post for car news and stuff.

And when in doubt, I park everything in the Looks-like-an-Accord or Look-at-This-Exotic-For-Sale! threads.
bitcH!.. i thought i had you this time...
Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Team Owner

and BMW Gesture control?

you think those asian moms with those freaky visors are scary enough? now they are waving in the car at the same time....
Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

bitcH!.. i thought i had you this time...
Well, if you wanna "stump me" (or more get a response), you can try to compare more cars that look like the Honda Accord...like, say, the Poopdick McFartington...or post heaps of exotic car sales.

I promise you...I won't move any of those posts. Ever. Not with a e-ten-foot pole.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

Very exciting new tech, we are getting into the Scifi age now.

Highlights

2.0 - Second Generation, a step forward from the i8
600 meter light range (656 yards)
Can work in combination with other systems to offer selective illumination (around corners for example)
Dynamic Light Spot can provide early warning of people or animals at night from a distance of up to 100 metres (109 yards).
OLED (organic light-emitting diodes) Technology for the rear light clusters

Munich/Las Vegas. At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES ) 2015 in Las Vegas, BMW is providing further evidence that it is a world leader in the development of Laserlight. Having already supplied its first models with Laserlight to customers, it is now presenting further laser functions for vehicles of the future. Laserlight is now able to offer its impressively long beam range of up to 600 metres in combination with the BMW Selective Beam function (anti-dazzle High-Beam Assistant). At CES, BMW is unveiling ways in which Laserlight, extensively integrated with assistance systems and vehicle sensors, can be used to implement new intelligent lighting functions for enhanced safety and comfort. For example, it can work with the navigation system to illuminate corners well in advance, while a laser-based Dynamic Light Spot can provide early warning of people or animals at night from a distance of up to 100 metres.

New lighting technology opens up design scope.
The BMW M4 Concept Iconic Lights model, with exterior paintwork in Cool White metallic, features a new interpretation of the typical BMW twin round headlights. On the move, the laser technology can be identified by the fine blue strips inside the lights. Meanwhile, the rear light clusters of the BMW M4 Concept Iconic Lights model are based on OLEDs (organic light-emitting diodes), which produce light from wafer-thin semiconducting layers of organic material. For the first time, both the tail lights and rear direction indicators feature OLED technology. The illuminated surfaces are positioned to produce a three-dimensional effect. OLEDs also take up less room on account of their thin size.

Shining example of innovative technology: anti-dazzle Laserlight and laser projection.
BMW Laserlight sets new standards in terms of beam range and brightness. Inside the laser headlights, the “coherent” monochromatic blue laser light is converted into harmless white light. A special optical system directs the rays from the high-performance diodes onto a phosphor plate inside the light, which converts the beam into a very bright white light that is similar to natural daylight and pleasant to the eye. Despite consuming 30 percent less energy, the parallel light beam is ten times more intense than that produced by halogen, xenon or LED light sources. BMW Laserlight also has a beam range of up to 600 metres, more than twice that of conventional headlights, for increased safety in the dark. The camera-based BMW Selective Beam system, which is controlled by dynamic actuators, prevents oncoming or preceding vehicles being dazzled and allows the laser high beam to be left on at all times.

Enhanced safety through connectivity.
Extensive integration of the innovative Laserlight with other vehicle systems allows a variety of intelligent lighting functions to be implemented. Integration with the navigation system, for example, allows the proactive Adaptive Headlight control system to illuminate corners even before the steering wheel is turned. Laserlight also adds a new dimension to the Night Vision system’s Dynamic Light Spot function. In pitch-dark conditions, people and animals can be detected from a distance of up to 100 metres, by infrared camera, and “spotlighted” by the laser-based Dynamic Light Spot. This is a longer range than that of any other system. Also, if the vehicle detects reduced clear road width ahead, the laser headlights can be used to provide “narrow clearance” lighting. A laser projection function indicates the exact width of the vehicle in relation to the road to allow safe passage through the narrow space. BMW M4 Concept Iconic Lights also showcases a further “visionary” system: “High Power Laser” diodes. This system projects driver information directly onto the road in front of the vehicle, allowing drivers to concentrate optimally on the traffic even in pitch darkness.

OLED rear light cluster with three-dimensional effect.
Organic light-emitting diodes – OLEDs – are an innovative, efficient, sustainable light source that form the basis for the BMW Organic Light system. OLEDs have a low power consumption, which helps to further reduce vehicle CO2 emissions. Another sustainable feature of this technology is the fact that no expensive rare earth metals are required in the production process. Unlike ordinary LEDs, which are a point light source, OLEDs produce light uniformly over their entire surface. The OLED elements are very thin, with a thickness of just 1.4 millimetres. Also, the individual modules can be activated separately, generating new possibilities for creating different lighting effects at the rear light clusters.

Different lighting effects in different driving modes.
In the past, rigorous legal requirements regulating the brightness of vehicle lighting have limited the number of lighting functions that it was possible to implement with OLED technology. On the BMW M4 Concept Iconic Lights model, BMW Organic Light is used in the tail lights and rear direction indicators. By activating the OLED segments individually, it is possible to create different rear lighting effects in different driving modes. Whereas normally the L-shape is wide and uniformly illuminated, in Sport mode a different-shaped light pattern can be used by activating only some of the OLED segments. The rear light then appears as a narrow, focused and sharply defined “strip” of light.

New technologies create new design options.
Lighting is an important design element in modern vehicles. From the front, all vehicles of the BMW core brand are instantly identifiable by the combination of their twin round headlights and the hallmark kidney grille. At night, the four glowing corona rings form a distinctive signature.
The BMW M4 Concept Iconic Lights model presents a new interpretation of the twin circular headlight theme. The headlights feature laser technology which is attractively highlighted by fine blue LED strips when the vehicle is on the move. Thanks to the new laser technology it was also possible to give the headlights a flat and sharply sculpted design.
The L-shaped rear light clusters are just as distinctive in terms of styling as the front lights. The “L” shape is a typical design hallmark that accentuates the width of the rear and gives the vehicle a striking and powerful look that always stands out from the crowd, whether at night or during the daytime. On current models, LED-powered light strips and other light elements emphasise the L-shape at night and make the brand identity more easily recognisable in the dark. BMW first presented a rear light cluster with OLED elements on the BMW Vision Future Luxury concept model, which made its world debut in Beijing in April 2014. BMW M4 Concept Iconic Lights displays its own version of this design. Its M-style OLED rear light cluster marks a new evolution of the typical BMW L-shaped lighting design which, with the BMW 7 Series launch, was reinforced with a distinctive “glowing” effect. OLED technology makes it possible to create a new, more three-dimensional and at the same time very sharply defined appearance.
BMW M GmbH will be launching a production model featuring OLED technology in the near future

The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
RPhilMan1 (01-08-2015), ttribe (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 05:10 PM

More pics here: BMW M4 Iconic Lights Concept (2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Team Owner

Highlights

iDrive screen can be used as a touchscreen or with non-touch gestures done between the screen and the gear lever
Gestures are detected by a 3D sensor in the roof
Functions can still be controlled traditionally via iDrive knob

BMW ConnectedDrive offers an exclusive range of functions including driver assistance systems, digital services and apps. BMW’s leading-edge technology is also demonstrated in the iDrive control system, which allows safe control of infotainment systems even while the vehicle is on the move. In Las Vegas, BMW is now displaying a research application that shows how it will be possible in future to control functions not only with the iDrive Controller but also by means of a touchscreen and non-contact gesture recognition.

Perfect complement: touchscreen and iDrive control system
The rapid proliferation of tablet computers and smartphones in recent years has seen a fundamental change in the way digital devices are used. In many areas, touchscreens have already replaced input devices such as the keyboard, mouse or touchpad, offering improved speed and more precise response. Users have now become used to performing intuitive finger movements across screens or using learned gestures to interact with programmes on their devices.

The BMW Group has noted this change in user habits and at CES in Las Vegas is unveiling an infotainment system that can be operated not only by the iDrive Controller/iDrive Touch Controller but also by touchscreen. The touchscreen and iDrive can each be used to control all functions. This is an important difference over existing hybrid systems that comprise a main control unit and a second interface that can only be used to operate certain functions.

To take one example, the research application on show at CES offers users the choice of either scrolling through playlists or navigation addresses using the iDriveController or entering numbers directly on the touchscreen. A virtual keyboard opens up on the touchscreen as soon as the user’s hand approaches. Even while entering letters, it is possible at any time to switch between the iDrive Controller, the iDrive Controller touchpad or the touchscreen. The advantages of intuitive iDrive operation can therefore be supplemented by an additional option, giving the user more choice. Regardless of whether the iDrive Controller or the touchscreen is used, both systems conform to BMW’s strict standards on safe data inputting while on the move. The positioning of the displays, in all vehicles of the BMW Group, and the suitably optimised text size reflect thoughtful ergonomic design and aid optimal data inputting – whether using the iDrive Controller or the touchscreen.

Direct data inputting with non-contact gesture recognition
Advanced sensor technology has already made it possible to perfect the technique of gesture control. This means of control is being showcased at CES in a research application that can be used to control selected infotainment functions. That is to say, a variety of functions can be performed not only using iDrive and the touchscreen, but also through non-contact gesture control. The driver or front passenger simply performs a directed gesture in the area between the gear lever, steering wheel and Control Display.

A 3D sensor in the roof detects whether one or two fingers are being pointed, or whether the thumb and index finger are being moved towards each other. The system decodes different movements – such as tapping, finger rotations or a swiping movement to the right – and performs the desired input. A rotating movement can be used, say, to alter the volume of the radio, a finger raised to accept a phone call or a swiping movement to decline a call. Like touchscreen control and the iDrive Controller, non-contact gesture control can offer even more efficient and convenient operation of new-generation entertainment systems.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Team Owner

Makes me wanna buy an i3 just for that watch!!

Highlights

Connect your BMW i vehicle to "Smart" devices such as Smart-phones, Smart-watches and even Smart-TVs with your car
TV can display vehicle's battery status, driving range and calendars
TV can popup information in the background, such as when the car has reached full charge
Same functions can be extended to smartphones or smartwatches
Smartwatch has the added functionality of unlocking the vehicle, going as far as automatically unlocking when the driver approaches the car

Not only is the BMW i3 the first ever premium electric car, but thanks to its standard built-in SIM card it also stands out for its unprecedented level of connectivity. Even today, the BMW i Remote app allows various functions of the BMW i3 to be remote controlled using either a smartphone or a smartwatch. These devices allow the intermodal route guidance started in the BMW i3 to be continued once the driver has left the vehicle. This form of navigation is perfectly tailored to the requirements of urban travel and it factors in both the local public transport options and walking time when searching for the optimum route. At the CES 2015 in Las Vegas, BMW is presenting the BMW i Connected Mobility research application as the next logical progression of this unrivalled functionality.

A direct link with the personal digital appointments calendar, the use of the latest devices such as smart TVs, smartwatches and smartphones, along with the inclusion of preferred means of transport and exact pinpointing of the vehicle’s position, even in large multistorey buildings, further boosts the degree of connectivity between driver, vehicle and the outside world, while also greatly enhancing the benefit to the customer.

The TV in the home is transformed into a mobility dashboard
BMW i Connected Mobility paves the way for a whole new form of journey planning that starts on the TV in the home rather than on the computer. The television, now turned into a smart TV by the addition of an internet connection, can show BMW i Remote functions such as the battery’s state of charge or the vehicle status (e.g. doors locked or unlocked). An exact driving range map can be called up on the TV that instantly shows how far the BMW i3 can travel with its current battery charge. If desired, the application can even flash up messages while the television is being watched, notifying the user for example that the BMW i3 batteries are fully charged.

For the first time, the research application also connects to the user’s stored digital appointments calendar. It synchronises with the calendar and uses the appointments and associated venues to create a personal mobility agenda based on the principle of intermodal route planning. This means that a wide variety of means of transport are taken into account for the purpose of route guidance – from the car to local public transport to walking. The vehicles in the DriveNow car-sharing fleet can also be located, booked and used via a smartphone. Graphics showing the latest traffic reports are displayed in real time along with the possible delays, just as with the Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) system.

Seamless connectivity for flawless information.
Smartwatches and smartphones make it possible to easily use this mobility dashboard while on the move as well. Like the smart TV, these devices are permanently connected to the BMW ConnectedDrive Server, enabling users to access their personal, fully up-to-date mobility agenda at any time from any of their devices. The route recommendations already shown on the smart TV are also transferred. The application can furthermore be set to give the user a reminder via their smartwatch, smart TV or smartphone when it’s time to leave for the next appointment. BMW i Connected Mobility also monitors for unforeseen events, such as delayed trains or traffic jams. If the traffic situation would prevent the user getting to their next appointment on time, the application prompts them to set off earlier. If the situation is particularly bad, alternative suggested routes for the journey are shown on the smartwatch and can be used directly for navigating. Route guidance on the smartwatch takes place in the form of arrow symbols, maps and navigation instructions. Alternatively, the corresponding BMW i Mobility app on the smartphone shows detailed route information.

When it comes to selecting the means of transport, the research application is adaptive and remembers the user’s previous preferred means of travel: whether, for example, they would rather travel by car on a particular route, even if there are minor traffic jams, or would prefer to take the train instead in this case. BMW i Connected Mobility then applies this information the next time it plans a route.

Gesture control using smartwatch unlocks the BMW i3.
Smartwatches allow direct access to important information without having to use the connected smartphone. BMW i Connected Mobility harnesses the possibilities offered by the smartwatch for advanced BMW i Remote app functions. The car can even be programmed to recognise the driver by their smartwatch. It unlocks the doors as the driver approaches and locks them again when the driver leaves the vehicle, in each case in response to a specific gesture. This type of functionality could complement the use of smartcards as a means of identification for car-sharing services such as DriveNow and offer even greater ease of use.

Sensor system memorises the exact vehicle position.
Whereas navigation instructions used to end at the address of the multistorey car park, a vehicle is now capable for the first time of using its system of sensors to automatically detect a change of storey in large car parks and thereby ascertain exactly where it has been parked, for example. BMW i Connected Mobility uploads this information to the cloud, where it can be accessed wirelessly by the smartwatch via the BMW server. If the smartwatch’s positioning function is activated, the user’s location data can be used together with the data from the BMW backend to navigate the user straight back to their vehicle, with the help of maps, arrows and distance information. This same function could also make the DriveNow car-sharing service more convenient and flexible to use.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Team Owner

BMW Uber? WTF

Highlights

BMW teams up with MasterCard
Contactless MasterCard which can be used to unlock and start a BMW/MINI from the DriveNow carsharing fleet.
DriveNow is operated by BMW and Sixt in the US, UK, Germany and Austria

At the 2015 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), BMW and MasterCard have jointly presented a contactless MasterCard credit card that can be used to hire, unlock and operate a BMW or MINI vehicle from the DriveNow carsharing fleet. BMW and MasterCard are continuing to cooperate on the development and introduction of this new smart mobility solution.

DriveNow, the car-sharing service by BMW and Sixt, is a premium mobility service from the BMW Group and one of the biggest car-sharing operators in the world, with more than 2,800 vehicles and more than 350,000 users in the USA, the United Kingdom, Germany and Austria. One reason for DriveNow’s success is simple access to the car fleet: all that is required is a smartphone app or PC and an ID card.

New functions for the BMW Group credit card.
DriveNow is designed to meet short-notice, short-term mobility needs in the city. It is targeted both at local residents who want flexible, on-demand mobility and visitors who, following a flight or train journey, want to be able to use a car with the minimum of hassle.

Following a one-off registration, customers can reserve BMW and MINI vehicles from the DriveNow fleet simply by using a smartphone app or computer. They can then access a DriveNow vehicle by identifying themselves with an ID card or the smartphone app. Billing is automatic and by the minute, based on a fixed scale of charges. The DriveNow smartphone app also provides users with directions to the vehicle they have reserved.

The new generation of BMW Group MasterCard credit cards will offer a further way of accessing any vehicle in the fleet. The card is fitted with a chip that supports NFC (Near Field Communication – a wireless standard for shortrange data transmission). The credit card then becomes not just a means of cashless payment but also a remote key. As soon as the card is held near to the sensor in the windscreen, the system identifies the user and unlocks the vehicle. Since the user’s identity was already checked when the credit card was issued, identification with an additional ID card or the smartphone is no longer required.

The new credit card again demonstrates that the BMW Group is a premium mobility provider capable of reaching new target groups with new and innovative services.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

K...that watch is pretty darn cool.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Whoa...an AWD BMW M5...?

A BMW M2 is set to be launched as part of an expanded range of BMW M cars that could also include M versions of the X3 and X4, new BMW M boss Frank van Meel has revealed at the Detroit motor show.

Van Meel, who recently made the switch from Audi’s RS division to head up BMW’s M range, said the previous 1-series M Coupé is a car he is very fond of, and therefore is a car “he’d love to do something in the direction of again”.

Spy photographers now regularly catch M2 prototypes in testing, but van Meel stopped short of officially confirming the model for production. Van Meel was less enthusiastic about the idea of an M3 Touring or flagship M7 - his vision of the perfect embodiment of an M car is the current M3/M4 - but he was more open and optimistic on the chances of M versions of the X3 and X4 making production.

“There are more opportunities than at present,” he said, “but not on every BMW as it makes no sense.

“There might be a business opportunity with the X3/X4,” he added. “We’re continuing our success story with new versions of the X5 M and X6 M.”

However, van Meel did confirm that four-wheel drive would reach future BMW M cars, with the next-generation M5 and M6 being the most likely candidates. But he said the models would still be rear-biased, and the technology would be used to increase traction in order to avoid the understeer traits with which all-wheel-drive performance cars are associated.

“The philosophy will remain rear-wheel drive, even if there is all-wheel drive,” he said. “As we increase power and torque, then the M5 and M6 will have large outputs, so we’ll look at those solutions [all-wheel drive] with these cars in the future.”

Van Meel said the recently launched M Performance range would be expanded as a way to bridge the gap between existing range-topping BMWs and full-blown M cars. More diesel models are set for this range, but van Meel said there wouldn’t be an M Performance version of every BMW as some models were not suited to performance versions.

Manual transmissions will only continue to be made should there be market demand for them, van Meel revealed, with sales suggesting they were on their way out.

Van Meel poured cold water on the chances of any future M version of a BMW i car, saying instead that any collaboration between the two bookends of the BMW range would be through shared technology such as carbonfibre.

However, M division was investigating the possibility of electrification of its future range. “We’re looking at all kinds of technologies, including electric solutions, but this must sit under clear M properties," said van Meel.

Electric turbochargers were being investigated, he said, as a way of improving throttle response. “We’ve already taken steps to improve throttle response with our V8,” said van Meel, “but we can improve further still with electric turbos. The philosophy has to be right to fit in with M, but yes, this is technology we’re looking at if we can make it fit.”

He was less keen on the idea of a front-wheel-drive M car based on BMW’s new UKL1 platform, although an M Performance version of a model in this range would be possible “if we can make it sharp enough”.

Four-cylinder engines for M cars were something else he isn’t keen on, saying the dynamics of such an engine were not in keeping with M’s philosophy as they’d be too highly stressed and not refined enough. But combining them with electric power would change this, although “you wouldn’t be able to lap the Nürburgring” without depleting the range.

“They are not part of the short term for M,” he added.

BMW celebrates its centenary in 2016, and van Meel said M was “eager to support the event”, without going into specifics.
Source: BMW M boss says M2, X3 M and X4 M in development | Autocar
Old 01-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
K...that watch is pretty darn cool.
Haha, reminds me of my buddy's Motorola Google Watch, looks cool but every time he wants to show us how cool it is, we have to wait for it to reboot again, or the OK google thing doesn't know what he said properly. Pretty funny stuff.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Team Owner

What development? with the way BMW is whoring out cars, it takes less than 1 day to put together a X3M and X4M.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
How discussions at BMW go:

Marketing guy: Hey guys, we don't make enough variations of cars. Any way you can make an X3M and X4M?

Engineer: Sure no problem. We'll just take the engine from the M3/4 and drop it into the drivetrain from the X5M and call it good. It'll be done next week.

Marketing: Sweet! How about an AWD version of the M5? You know, because the people up north need a version that won't require them to buy snow tires.

Engineer: Sure no problem. We'll just take the current M5 motor and drop it into the 550i xDrive drivetrain and call it good. It'll be done next week.

Marketing: Awesome, we almost have enough variations of cars to sell. Next one is a big one though. How can we drastically increase the cost of a 2 series without really spending any money?

Engineer: Sure no problem. We'll just take the M235i, jack the tuning way up, slap a LSD on the back, some new fender flares, and stick an M2 badge on the trunk. Shouldn't cost much more than a normal 2 series but you can sell it for $20k more! It'll be done next week.

Marketing: Excellent! I'll check in with you guys later on next week to see the completed product. Keep your ideas flowing, we'll soon need a few more versions of the 7 series to compete with the fantastically awesome car that is the new S class.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
kurtatx (01-28-2015), ttribe (01-21-2015), Yumcha (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

you forgot about the X2, X7 and 7GT
Old 01-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
you forgot about the X2, X7 and 7GT

That's the week after.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,882 Likes on 3,492 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
How discussions at BMW go:

Marketing guy: Hey guys, we don't make enough variations of cars. Any way you can make an X3M and X4M?

Engineer: Sure no problem. We'll just take the engine from the M3/4 and drop it into the drivetrain from the X5M and call it good. It'll be done next week.

Marketing: Sweet! How about an AWD version of the M5? You know, because the people up north need a version that won't require them to buy snow tires.

Engineer: Sure no problem. We'll just take the current M5 motor and drop it into the 550i xDrive drivetrain and call it good. It'll be done next week.

Marketing: Awesome, we almost have enough variations of cars to sell. Next one is a big one though. How can we drastically increase the cost of a 2 series without really spending any money?

Engineer: Sure no problem. We'll just take the M235i, jack the tuning way up, slap a LSD on the back, some new fender flares, and stick an M2 badge on the trunk. Shouldn't cost much more than a normal 2 series but you can sell it for $20k more! It'll be done next week.

Marketing: Excellent! I'll check in with you guys later on next week to see the completed product. Keep your ideas flowing, we'll soon need a few more versions of the 7 series to compete with the fantastically awesome car that is the new S class.
I was just talking about this very thing the other day with my wife, with particular attention to the 6 series since we are looking for a 640i xDrive GC. If you pull up BMW's site, there are 14 different versions of the 6 alone. A good friend was the sales manager at the local BMW and he said every niche there is, BMW is aiming to fill and the product is getting diluted.

EDIT: Just counted, BMW sells 100 different models!

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 01-28-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Of course they are...

The Tesla Model S remains the undisputed king of electric cars at the moment primarily because it’s the only real car that is entirely electric. But that will changesoon, and BMW will be among those seeking inroads into Tesla’s empire.

BMW’s vector for those inroads will be badged either i5 or i7, and aimed squarely at the Model S, reports Car Magazine.

Using 5-Series architecture and electric propulsion, the i5/i7/or whatever it will be called should be able to mate proven luxury accommodations, excellent vehicledynamics, and, if properly executed, a seriously competitive electric drivetrain.

The reported total output of the system is, at the moment, 544 horsepower — more than the Model S P85, but less than the all-wheel-drive, dual-motor P85D’s 691 horsepower.

But the system won’t be all-electric, supposedly. Like the i8, it will carry a four-cylinder gasoline engine to generate power and extend the range beyond its estimated 80 miles of all-electric capacity.

That, for some, will be a deal breaker—an electric car isn’t supposed to use gasoline, right? Will such a system be enough to take on Tesla? Or will it simply try to carve out another niche?

We likely won’t find out the answer to any of these questions—including the final specification and nature of BMW’s Model S-oriented electric sedan—until sometime after the next 5-Series’ launch in 2018 or thereabouts.
Source: BMW Building i5/i7 To Target Tesla Model S: Report

Quick Reply: BMW: Development and Technology News