The Acura RL Appreciation thread.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Smile The Acura RL Appreciation thread.

You know, after all of the bashing this car gets on other forums, magazines, and even here (myself included) , etc. I must say that after owning over 50 cars (about 40 real cars) the RL is a very nice car.

It is no sports sedan. It not overly quick nor fast. Brakes are really stressed with the weight. But again, for what it is intended to do it does very well.

Cruising on the highway on my long jaunts, I enjoy the XM, fine stereo system, the safety of OnStar, fine navigation-albeit slow & occasional lockups, very solid structure, xlnt crash safety rating, fine steering, very comfortable to drive, excellent bluetooth system, nice back seat space, good room in trunk, good outward vision, quiet, etc.
I just feel good in this car on long hauls and I do drive 200 miles a day. With the A-Spec it handles nicely and SH-AWD is very nice in inclement weather and is fun to play with in the canyons. When I climb into my SC430, though itself a great car, I still miss the RL, perhaps it’s the features, perhaps I’m losing too much hair for a topless car, who knows. The RL does so much and does it very well.

It provides plenty of room (much more than a tiny GS), handsome in my book, and overall a car I truley appreciate.

Share your thoughts.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Are you f'in kidding me, after your responses on the other thread (see below), you post this an appreciation thread...not very credible IMO.

Originally Posted by 470hpGS400
05 72k miles. Headlight ballast, new armrest due to poor materials coming off, a/c coil, door seal (never had a car where it wore so quickly), various interior bulbs, ashtray (would not stay closed). That's it so far (knock on wood). Not the worse car, but not even close to what my prior/current Lexus's provided me.
so far I would say my experience has been good, not great, just good.
"

and this...

Originally Posted by 470hpGS400
The 05 RL is very problematic and all you have to do is to look at this forum and view the threads. And yes, who has an 09, 2 people here? 07 and up is where Acura ironed out many of the issues. 09 is above 07 the last I checked.
And you obviously missed the threads that discuss interior leather coming loose, seals, rears ends, flickering headlights, premature worn leather seats, a/c as mentioned, and navigation system. I'm sure I am missing a few things.
Fair enough?
I suggest this thread be deleted as the poster is not for real...

Last edited by rlerman; 08-10-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I'll second that
Not that I am totally price sensitive, but cannot think of another car that I would buy instead for the price.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Pro

Just because I called you out on your response on the other thread and you do not like my response does not mean to just dance all over my other post. I try to remain objective and the early RL's do have issues.
If you cannot come to that realization, grow up. i posted genuine issues with the car in other threads and they are well documented in other threads by others as well, but at the end of day it really is a nice car.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
you didn't call me on my post (we're here for info and to share experiences with our cars, not to out do one another.) I just pondered if lexus had similar early production problems, apparently I was wrong, that's fine.

Your view did a 180 in two days, if you want to do an appreciation thread, it's fine, but your tone suggested you were displeased with the car calling it "very problematic"...how is that appreciative.

Water under the bridge...life goes on...good luck with your car!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Once again, I prevail upon you guys to keep it on topic.

Most of you regulars know how much I love the 2G RL and miss mine. It's the best Honda/Acura product ever. Not kidding.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Once again, I prevail upon you guys to keep it on topic.

Most of you regulars know how much I love the 2G RL and miss mine. It's the best Honda/Acura product ever. Not kidding.
Thank you.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 171 Posts
Had an 06 TL and then moved up to an 08 RL Tech. Not a single problem to this date. I even drove it from LA to Santa Barbara and back to LA on the same night and love the handling. I even push it a lil over 150mph without any problem downhill. Took it to Los Virgienes Canyon with all the twist and winding road at night and love every single moment of it. I also get compliments that they never seen a modified RL before. So I love this car.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

I appreciate the organic, classic look of the 05-08 RL, and even the grille doesn't totally ruin the 09.

My favorite RL other than my own.....

Touge

And here's mine on a chilly morning....
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KB1Spec
Had an 06 TL and then moved up to an 08 RL Tech. Not a single problem to this date. I even drove it from LA to Santa Barbara and back to LA on the same night and love the handling. I even push it a lil over 150mph without any problem downhill.
Isn't the RL's speed governed at 130mph???

And you haven't had a single problem because your car is probably a year old with no mileage.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
the RL is a great car for the money - especially in the used car market / CPO cars.

if you are looking at 05-06 cars, you are talking about low to mid 20s...an 07 might cost high high 20s or low 30s.... but in that price point, that's a lot of car for the money.

i looked at a brand new 09 Honda Accord, V6 w/nav. they wanted like $28k. I got my 06 RL with 29k miles for $26,500, +950 to add the wrap. so I have exactly FOUR solid years of bumper to bumper coverage. the new Accord, woudl have cost me MORE, for LESS...WAY less car, and only came with 3 years of coverage....

driving an 09 Accord vs, then driving an 06 RL - no comparison. I'd take the RL. albeit mine is flawless and in mint condition...i'd take a new Accord over a trashed RL...but ther are super clean ones out there...

the RL is not the sportiest,, nor is it the fastest sedan out there, but given what you get, and the competition - you could buy an ES (boring), you could buy a low grade 5 series like a 525 or 528.... too slow...and to get one in the same price point as a CPO RL, you're going to get a stripped 5 series.

I honestly think the RL is a sharp looking car. tint the windows, toss a spoiler on it, and put on some nice wheels and the thing looks NICE.

if you want to go fast or tackle twisties, buy an s2000 or a boxster for the weekends. that's what I did....and you have the best of both worlds under one garage..
Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my '05

I have to say, I really like my '05. I had every early problem known. Some of them caused by fixes to an earlier "bug fix". But, I have a great dealer, very close to home, who always provides a loaner and washes my car when it's in for service.

In the last several years, no problems of merit. I think the a/c issue was the last "big one" and all handled under warranty.

The AWD, ride, sound system, and nav rank highest with me. Like others, I wish for more torque, a more responsive "manual" shift mode (it's so slow, it's really worthless), a slightly larger trunk (16 cu. ft. at least, please), and, a little more respect for the car from others.

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat. AWD is a requirement for me and there are no better choices for the money. Audi? Ha! Think the RL has problems, just wait until you try to maintain an Audi. Mercedes? Never again.

My car has just over 48,000 miles. I'm planning on another 100,000.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I miss my RL. But she is home in the garage and freshly detailed before I left.

I am in Russia another day before onward to Scandinavia. I am tooling about Russia in a Russian LEGEND. It has not all the features, no XM, no full NAVI. But still a joy. She gets a lot of looks.

My Russian agent owns the LEGEND. He thinks of it as an exotic. In Germany last week, the people I asked who knew of the LEGEND responded favorably. I drove a new a6 there, and I did like it.

I think we Americans tend to lose sight of balance and harmony as an attribute and need everything to be the BEST, MOST EXTREME and TOP OF THE CLASS. Contrary to those needs, the RL / LEGEND is about balance. This is the most Zen vehicle I have owned or driven.

That is my story, and I am sticking tto it, comrads.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TampaRL
This is the most Zen vehicle I have owned or driven.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The S2000 is a close second for me in that regard.

Travel safely!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
I respect GS for sticking to his opinions, which he is entitled to, and still being humble enough to post that he has since had a change of heart.

the question is will you turn bi-polar and be a hater again next week.

With that being said, I have an 05 sitting at 70k and I wont lie and say I haven't had any problems with it but I will say that for the money I paid this car is a fine luxury sedan and ranks on the same level as the Q series Infinity's, 5 series beemers, and GS Lexus... I will also say the the other luxury models specifically the domestic companies have nothing to compare. But hey that's only my opinion.

I respect the disappointment and frustration shown by any owner who bought an 05 (or any RL) for its sticker and had to deal with the problems to date.

But for those of us, like me, that scored this machine used well under the sticker price... we are singing a different tune.

Shit, while I'm on my soap box... I also want to give a shout out to all you AZ members specifically the RL owners who post this info for all of us. Thank you.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 08-13-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Instructor

I've been reading this thread, and others remotely connected to the topic, and finally want to add my two cents.

We are human, cars are machines. We have opinions, desires, likes, dislikes, and emotional responses. Cars are meant to be almost identical but like most machines have different service environments, maintenance attention, and general care, all of which can affect later performance.

I've owned and driven a lot of cars, some of which I liked more than others. Each had perceived positives and negatives and some of those were determined by my age at the time. When I was driving a used 1963 CT State Police Ford Interceptor (in 1966) I thought it was the coolest thing around. Today it can't compare to a lot of cars on the road.

I sold an 03 BMW 530i to get my current 06 RL. They are quite different cars but I wanted AWD, Japanese reliability, and thought the RL looked sexy as hell. Many on the forum don't agree and go to great effort and expense to modify the appearance/handling. That is their desire/opinion; I'm currently satisfied with what I have.

IMO there is never "one" answer to this question, just what each of us happens to want at the time, and even that changes.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Great post Foam.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Racer

I'm very happy with my '05 RL-the only unanticipated problem I have had is a broken coin tray lid. The remainder of the issues were fixed in advance of them becoming problems thanks to Acura's Service News bulletins and/or their recall notices (ie, PS hose).
Old 08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ahhhh a Acura RL lovefest thread! :gheyhug:

We need a couple more of these "Appreciation" threads every now and then because this is truly a amazing sedan! I have not been fortunate enough to own many "luxury" vehicle (the RL being the first) but from my pass experience (88 Supra Turbo, 97 Camry, 01 TL) I can undoubtedly say my 05 RL is head/shoulder above any other vehicles I have owned. The build quality (couple minor issues) and luxury amenity has still surpass many of current 09's Acura models and other brands across the spectrum.

After 8 months of ownership, I still turn around and look after parking the RL! This is a Badass sedan!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rhlieu
Ahhhh a Acura RL lovefest thread! :gheyhug:

We need a couple more of these "Appreciation" threads every now and then because this is truly a amazing sedan! I have not been fortunate enough to own many "luxury" vehicle (the RL being the first) but from my pass experience (88 Supra Turbo, 97 Camry, 01 TL) I can undoubtedly say my 05 RL is head/shoulder above any other vehicles I have owned. The build quality (couple minor issues) and luxury amenity has still surpass many of current 09's Acura models and other brands across the spectrum.

After 8 months of ownership, I still turn around and look after parking the RL! This is a Badass sedan!
To think I was the only one looking back at my RL after I just parked it. I totally feel the same way. I have owned my RL for 9 months now and don't regret a thing.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rhlieu
This is a Badass sedan!
I've never heard the RL referred to quite that way, but we'll take it.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
+1 for Zen, it is a very very balanced car.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
+1 for Zen, it is a very very balanced car.
Can Zen be achieved with ultimate firepower?

I'll have to send you pics of the MIG I got to fly in. I only tossed my cookies twice. It may not have enough torque for Bob, however.

The sad point was it was easier to get my lard ass into the MIG than it was to get into my former S2000.

*Greetings from Helsinki* (check your maps)
Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
The sad point was it was easier to get my lard ass into the MIG than it was to get into my former S2000.
MiG's are designed to be hangover friendly
Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My 06 RL is my 8th Honda\Acura Product since 1984 when I bought a brand new CRX.

I drive my cars very hard, and none of them have ever let me down.

All I need to do is drive a different brand to remind me why I appreciate my RL so much.

However...I am not brand loyal-it's just that everytime I get a new vehicle, it's always the Honda\Acura offering that gives the best value\reliability\performance for the money.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
*Greetings from Helsinki* (check your maps)
Pitkaa hauska Suomessa! (Finnish for have fun in Finland!) Wow, it sounds like you're making the rounds. What are you doing in Finland? I lived there for a couple years from '92 to '94.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Pro

Ahh, sold my SC430 today so the RL is my only steed for the time being. I loved the SC but started to prefer the RL for it's total balance. It is not without faults and I will be the first and have called them out much to the chagrin of others-tough.
The navigation has not acted up in a while-crossing those fingers.

Put another coat of Pinnacle Souveran on it last night and the paint glows with a very deep gloss. Acura did an xlnt job painting the RL. Unfortunate that the roof trim piece has a paint bubble on it now. Need to order one of them up.

Until my next car it appears the RL is my daily driver which is a good thing. Who knows, perhaps I will get a hair and have a custom J pipe installed, would not be the first time I went on the limb with a mod. If the black market was more organized like it is over on other forums I would search for a TL j pipe & fabricate it to fit (hint hint Bob)

Will update.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jhal
Pitkaa hauska Suomessa! (Finnish for have fun in Finland!) Wow, it sounds like you're making the rounds. What are you doing in Finland? I lived there for a couple years from '92 to '94.
Mr. Tampa is our exclusive Acurazine (Honda Legend / Acura RL ) correspondent. He is traveling aboard to gather secretive/undisclosed information on the highly anticipated 3rd generation RL (so he says).

My keen (perverted) intuition sense that he is just relaxing, slipping appletini and whoring around! Hopefully he isn't ruining our Acurazine communities good name!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:20 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

*chuckle*

You must have me confused with the guy in the Aston Martin. Although I can dress well.

Heading for Vassa at the moment and will be flying north of the Arctic Circle. Why? Because it is there.

Oh, and I do have some very secret info on the next Gen RL.....

I am told.....

it will have......

*bracing*

4 wheels.

*live via satellite*