Loud metal scraping noise from the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya same here i was at my sisters house one weekend and went home that night n i had the same promblem i was on the side of the road for like almost an hour, this was like around 2-3am, so then i got sick of waiting cause i coudn't find anything wrong with it so i revers back towards her house and i left or heard something fell out and the sound was gone. so yea i should go bring it in to check..
Old 05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

Currently, My car is only sounding on the front driver side with that loud a-s metal scarping sound. I cant deal with it no more what to do in that issue. I have Hawk hps pad install on my car ?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Intermediate

Im getting the same noise from the left rear wheel and the dealer told me that it was my brake wear indicator. Im going to try adjusting the dust shield. But ill be getting some Hawks soon with all rotors resurfaced.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Instructor

I had the noise in the past few days, so I took my car to the dealership today to let them check the problem. The problem turned out to be the rear brake pads. The noise was from the rear brake wear indicator, although the noise sounded like it was from the front. After the dealership replaced the pads, the noise was gone and I can once again roll down my window when I am driving.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Cruisin'

yeah, had a similar problem maybe the same thing. The sound only lasted for about 20 sec and then stopped. Sounded like something was stuck in the brake Hasn't happened since.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

I was surprised to see this topic when I came on here since I just had the same experience with the obnoxious grinding sound today and was going to see if anyone here has had the problem. I have an '06 TSX with 8000 miles and I made a right turn onto a road and started hearing this horrendous grinding noise from the front (seemed like passenger side) but the loudness depended on how fast I was going so I figured it was not engine related. The car was driving fine and had no warning lights but I pulled into a gas station a half mile down the road. Everyone was staring at me when I pulled in of course since the sound was so loud and unusual. I looked around and saw nothing and decided to take it around the parking lot a couple times. After I reversed out of the spot the noise was gone. I drove it the 4 miles home and then took it back out for another 6-7 mile drive and heard nothing. Very bizarre......
Old 07-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

I experienced the same today. I just so happened to have hit an extremelly large pot-hole the night before (Don't think it was a factor in this).
The loud scraping sound came around on my way home from class. I immediately phoned a friend (REV-01) to see if he could take a look at it. A tech (Lance) at his shop rode a long with me to see if he could diagnose where the sound was coming from, of course it went away. He took a thorough look under the body and at the wheels (rotors, all moving parts etc) and told me that it could have been a rock lodged in between the caliper and the rotor itself. The sound hasn't come back since.
Now that I searched this thread Im at ease knowing that it was most likely a foreign object lodged in there. Thanks again to REV-01 (Revision Audio) and Lance for freeing up some time to look at it. Put my nerves at ease haha.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

Alright now this is ironic.

I'm making my way back from lunch today and that awful scraping sound returned. I thought to myself "not again". Followed me all the way home. Since I already experienced this I had an idea of what to do. I drove around a couple times in my parking complex periodically putting it into reverse to dislodge whatever was between the caliper and brake pad. Low and behold the scraping noise ceased and I checked my brake pad to find a definite line left by whatever was stuck in there.

Click on the thumbs to enlarge them, you'll see what line I'm talking about

Old 01-04-2015, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

this happened to me last night.

Pontiac g6 07. This happened to me last night. I talked to some people and they suggested rotor to ball bearings to breaks failing to break shoe. I'm have to check the tire again. Now it's light out.