5th Generation Acura TL Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
This wouldn’t be so bad but the V6-powered TLX is saddled with a 9-speed transmission. And 9 is just too many speeds.
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. Five speeds: not enough. Six speeds: not enough. Seven speeds: that might be overkill. Eight speeds and nine speeds: that's too much.

What in the world are people after? LOL....

The car never seems to know what gear to be in. In non-sport mode, the transmission shifts too much. In sport modes it shifts too little. 1 answer is to use the steering wheel-mounted paddles to take control.
You don't need to do any of that. Just use your right foot enough to overcome the throttle push back, and you're there.

Thankfully, the other answer to this problem is to spend less money and get the 2.4-liter model with front-wheel drive and an 8-speed automatic. Not only is this set up lighter and eager for punishment, its 8-speed dual-clutch box is much quicker and more responsive.
Did he even drive the same cars that I drove? It's not more responsive in normal mode. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, but the 9 speed ZF is a better overall transmission for *most* people.

The main advantage of the DCT is smoother shifting than you'd get in a conventional DCT, together with a very nice EPA fuel economy for the power and size vehicle.

Instead, the plucky front-drive TLX hangs onto the road like a terrified octopus. You heard it here 1st; it’s more fun to drive a terrified octopus than Tim Duncan.
LOL.... Okay, at this point I am willing to refer the reviewer for psychoanalysis.

This duplication of function is mirrored elsewhere as the driver can choose from steering wheel controls, a “mouse”, and voice commands to interact with the AcuraLink infotainment.
Referring to the wheel as a mouse is misleading, IMHO. It's much easier to use than the mouse on the Lexus system.

I don't think this reviewer "gets it" with some of where Acura was going, but he's better than the other guys (so far).

Just...weird...almost like he didn't drive the same car, or maybe he didn't have enough time to get 100% oriented to the systems.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton

Referring to the wheel as a mouse is misleading, IMHO. It's much easier to use than the mouse on the Lexus system.

Indeed, the Lexus mouse system is hard to use, especailly while driving! I did like the super wide split screen in the Lexus but the double in the Honda/Acura is actually easier to use and see. It's a well thought out layout, IMO
Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
I know they haven't released hard performance figures yet and it has been discussed that they aren't that important on this site but I'm still curious what the performance is going to look like relative to the 4G TL after I used the comparison tool on Acura.com.

I compared the TLX SH-AWD to the '14 TL w/Tech and '14 TL SH-AWD w/Tech. The curb weight difference between the TLX (3748 lbs) and TL SH-AWD (3982 lbs) is a reduction of 234 lbs and the TLX weighs just 7 lbs more than the FF TL (3741 lbs). If nothing else Acura definitely deserves the plaudits for such significant weight reduction. I know they compared the 4-cyl version's nimbleness to the V6 as a negative in some reviews but I think that should help the TLX SH-AWD feel much more nimble than the comparable 4G TL.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
We need an I4 Advance. STAT. Don't understand the logic of leaving this out. Low take, yes, but at least give people the option to use the fancier nannies.

Otherwise, I am happy with the reviews. Sounds like the I4 is the one to get even without the extra power, given the driving experience.
My favorite feature is the ventilated seats; most of those fancier nannies & vent seats are available on other cars with a 4 cyl engine.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I agree it's stupid but honestly don't think they are mistakes (per Acura). Their high volume seller will be the 4cyl model. Having some exclusive features only available on the top of the line model will help with the sales overall.

Ventilated seats is also one of them.
Or send customer to other brands that offer this features on their 4 cyl models.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Most of my cars have been sport compacts, of which there are plenty of choose from. However, if you want to move up in size and refinement, but still have the sport, it gets harder to do so. In a perfect world, my car would have:

1 - The dynamics of an E36/E46 3-series
2 - The value and long-term reliability of a Honda/Acura
3 - The more aggressive looks of the TLX concept
4 - A manual transmission

Unfortunately, something has to give.
The following 2 users liked this post by acura15:
Acura_Dude (08-06-2014), madrussian190 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by guerdy
I counted about 6.2 seconds. Not good enough for me but probably good enough for most. I think Acura will have a hit for the mass market. However, enthusiast will be left wanting for a bit more.
I wold agree that it is somewhere in that range, looked to be in sport plus mode as well, hard to tell if it was driver shifted or software or which produces the best results.

Until we see some official results with proper placement, road conditions, procedures, and equipment I would simply take that as a real world measure which IMO is actually pretty good.

Official tests do usually use a 1ft roll out and brake torquing if applicable, so we should see slightly better results unless this run was done downhill or something. Not the acceleration king of the class, nor does it need to be and hard to expect that at it's pricing, but it will be competitive which is generally enough, if not more, for most buyers.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
I think that is somewhat the case. These guys drove each car for ~100 miles. Obviously the 4 cylinder + 8dct impresses right away - Jeff over at TOV was very high in his praise of that car. He also said that there wasn't much chance for him to really use or get a feel for the new SHAWD and how good it is or isn't. This is somewhat expected with all the new tech (9AT, safety) and three versions of the car. When more detailed reviews of each version come out we will get more of the story. I also think it's telling that Acura apparently didn't give these guys any track time - I haven't read about any - and they put relatively skinny Grand Touring tires on each version. Acura wanted this car to appeal to both enthusiasts and more mainstream buyers at the same time. That may sound like a shitty compromise but it's actually exactly what Acura needs to deliver. An enthusiast can upgrade the tires. A mainstream buyer can be happy with the performance already there.
I sure would like to see reviews with upgraded tires more appropriate for spirited and aggressive driving and see how that changes the equation (or not).
Old 08-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Motor Authority

http://www.businessinsider.com/2015-acura-tlx-2014-8

The New Acura Is A Bargain For People Who Like Driving Fast In Good Cars

Motor Authority
NELSON IRESON, MOTOR AUTHORITY
AUG. 6, 2014, 11:45 AM

SEE same review from Mon.

Last edited by 4WDrift; 08-06-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: review is a copy from Mon.
internalaudit (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
I sure would like to see reviews with upgraded tires more appropriate for spirited and aggressive driving and see how that changes the equation (or not).
The TL used to come factory equipped with a mechanical LSD, heavy duty suspension bits, summer tires, Brembo brakes & 6MT's

Based on the 2% take rate for the 4G's 6MT I don't believe that Acura/Honda sees any need to cater to that segment of their market any longer.

If Acura is not selling things I don't think any first line test group will mod the car for better results.

Outside chance a special article featuring tuners for a moded 4 turbos might be done but you would need to put significant $ into a V6 & still not get much out of it.
Stew4HD (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Interesting reviews - sort of like the 4th gen FWD vs SH-AWD - two completely different animals, shouldn't even share the TL name - seems Acura has done that again with the powertrain difference. Not shocking at all the 4 banger would feel more agile. However, flying at close to 100mph on the interstate I'll take the more solid feeling car anyday. My dealer said they most likely won't have any SH-AWD's until October or later to try out
Old 08-06-2014, 02:41 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Why do you think that, please?
Manufacturing the base costs less than the top of the line. The parts that go into the top of the line may end up costing more than the invoice. You never know what the plan is. Its about manufacturing costs per unit, not invoice or sticker price.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is a review on Yahoo that absolutely put the hammer down on the TLX. The reviewer has some harsh words for the TLX against it competitors. https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...184506835.html

here is some quotes:
"All of the TLX’s competitors have two things in common: They are pared-down inside, simple, almost race-y, and they’re really fun to drive. The TLX is, unfortunately neither. From the inside out, it seems to have been designed by spreadsheet. There’s not a piece of flair or bling to be found; it’s a full binder of safe, generic, conservative choices. No one is going to choose it for its attractiveness. Compared with the sporty look of the A4 or the 3-Series, or Mercedes’ beautiful, sleek new design language, it really comes away wanting."

"The TLX’s performance feels as bland as the design. It’s not particularly fast, it’s not particularly sharp, and it’s not particularly fun. Fifteen years ago, this would have been one of the greatest cars on the planet, but that was a long time ago."

"In terms of features and performance, not to mention price, the TLX really belongs at the top of a different segment that includes the Toyota Avalon, the Nissan Maxima, and the Ford Taurus. In a blind taste test, it might not even be particularly distinguishable from its downmarket sibling, the Honda Accord. Against that competition, it stacks up great. But against the competition that Acura’s pitting it against, it’s going to be in real trouble, like Apollo Creed agreeing to fight Drago at the start of Rocky 4. Acura may have been the top of the sedan segment once, but unless Honda’s luxury arm starts acting realistic about what it can actually offer, its flagship sedan isn’t getting out of the ring alive."

Old 08-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by White Magic
That was painful to watch.... He looked nervous like it was his first time. I'm gonna erase that from my memory...
That reminds me of my performance on my first date *lol*
White Magic (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The TL used to come factory equipped with a mechanical LSD, heavy duty suspension bits, summer tires, Brembo brakes & 6MT's

Based on the 2% take rate for the 4G's 6MT I don't believe that Acura/Honda sees any need to cater to that segment of their market any longer.

If Acura is not selling things I don't think any first line test group will mod the car for better results.

Outside chance a special article featuring tuners for a moded 4 turbos might be done but you would need to put significant $ into a V6 & still not get much out of it.
I'm curious to know what the take rate of the 6MT Accord Coupe is.

It seems Honda realized (and conceded) that people associate youthful sportiness with Honda cars and mature refinement with Acura cars.

Last edited by dysonlu; 08-06-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

I would expect it to be fairly low but I could be surprised
Old 08-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Sooo, why would anyone now buy an ILX over the 4 banger TLX?
I would go for the Accord Sport 6MT over a ILX...
Old 08-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugh9269
I would go for the Accord Sport 6MT over a ILX...
True, but I'd also answer the original question. 1) TLX isn't/wasn't out yet. 2) No manual transmission 3) I don't need a 190" car. 4) I want leather not leatherette.

This is the reason that different models exist, everyone prioritizes things differently. With many of these things, there is no 'right or wrong'. I'm always amazed at how many (appear) to want to force their values on others.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
Acura_Dude (08-06-2014), CoquiTSX (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by acura15
Most of my cars have been sport compacts, of which there are plenty of choose from. However, if you want to move up in size and refinement, but still have the sport, it gets harder to do so. In a perfect world, my car would have:

1 - The dynamics of an E36/E46 3-series
2 - The value and long-term reliability of a Honda/Acura
3 - The more aggressive looks of the TLX concept
4 - A manual transmission

Unfortunately, something has to give.
Exactly! It gets very difficult to keep the performance as you move up the size and refinement latter unless you're willing to spend a relative fortune, and it's really frustrating. I prefer sport compacts myself, but need a family car and don't want to spend a fortune. Hence my TSX, which is great but a compromise. I think Ford could exploit this hole in the market with a Fusion ST sedan, because it wouldn't compete with anything from Lincoln like a Honda would with Acura, Toyota with Lexus, etc. Who knows, maybe Mazda will fill the void with another Masdaspeed 6, and it has no affiliated luxury marque that could gripe about cannibalized sales.

In the meantime, if I had to replace my TSX, I'd probably end up with the TLX because, once again, Acura seems to have nicely blended utility, some performance, and some luxury with value.
acura15 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

It seems Honda realized (and conceded) that people associate youthful sportiness with Honda cars and mature refinement with Acura cars.
From Car and Driver's long-term test of the Accord Sport:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ate-one-page-2

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
We brought up this point of view with Honda, which basically said we should be happy there’s a manual transmission at all. The Accord Sport model is selling well (exceeding expectations, Honda says), making up about 21 percent of four-cylinder Accord sales, but the take rate for the six-speed is only seven percent. Overall, manual-equipped Accords represent three percent of volume. Honda says keeping build-combination complexity low contributes to manufacturing and distribution efficiency, which helps keep the base price of the Accord Sport at $24,505.
The following 2 users liked this post by acura15:
dysonlu (08-07-2014), internalaudit (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts

I don't know but the original target stated for the 4G TL by Acura was 10%. That would suggest Accord gets more than the original Acura estimate in units + its % of a bigger base number are getting them in the Accords.

BTW you can't just count the Coupe because a 6MT is available in other models.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-06-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I don't know but the original target stated for the 4G TL by Acura was 10%. That would suggest Accord gets more than the original Acura estimate in units + its % of a bigger base number are getting them in the Accords.

I'm not even sure of the 10% figure back then. But for sure, 5-10% of 300,000 Accords represents a much larger number than 10% of 40,000-70,000 TLs.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
The only negative thing I'm hearing(other than people complaining about styling) on the v6 shawd, is the 9 speed. The 8 speed DCT is getting rave reviews but is not beefy enough to handle power on the v6. Seems like the 8DCT exposed some flaws in the 9AT because 290hp should be enough to create a "thrilling" ride. 9AT has to be holding it back.

As a reference the 6 speed MDX(especially in sport mode) is a blast to drive and that's a 4300lb+ SUV. The truck feels nimble, very responsive and sometimes I feel I can push it to the limits of my car. When I'm entering or exiting a turn on the highway I feel the sh awd pushing me through the corner. Most times I can maintain speed or accelerate faster through turn with ease. So I'm figuring, surely a sedan weighing 600lbs less would be a dream to drive! Could the tranny just be half baked and need more programming and modifications?
Old 08-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
A bit off topic here, but does anyone know if the new TLX will have a traditional manual Tilt/Telescoping steering wheel, or a power one? Infiniti has had a power one for a few years now, even in the G.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Manual steering adjustment.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
Exactly! It gets very difficult to keep the performance as you move up the size and refinement latter unless you're willing to spend a relative fortune, and it's really frustrating. I prefer sport compacts myself, but need a family car and don't want to spend a fortune. Hence my TSX, which is great but a compromise. I think Ford could exploit this hole in the market with a Fusion ST sedan, because it wouldn't compete with anything from Lincoln like a Honda would with Acura, Toyota with Lexus, etc. Who knows, maybe Mazda will fill the void with another Masdaspeed 6, and it has no affiliated luxury marque that could gripe about cannibalized sales.

In the meantime, if I had to replace my TSX, I'd probably end up with the TLX because, once again, Acura seems to have nicely blended utility, some performance, and some luxury with value.
Basically, I'm looking for a grand tourer that's tossable. As long as the 2.4 TLX is tuned more aggressively than the Accord Sport, then it might do the trick, along with some better wheels and tires. I think the new 2.4 hits the sweet spot for a N/A Honda. It still loves to rev, but it has enough low/mid-range power to keep it from being too high strung (I had an RSX-S).

I have a lot of respect for Mazda, but from what I've read the new 6 isn't that quiet of a cruiser. Ford did tempt me with the 1.6T manual Fusion, but they discontinued it for 2015, and I wanted more power than it had.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
acceleration....
Stew4HD (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:08 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
A dealer review , you can see better the "forms" of the car ..

The following 2 users liked this post by Momyc:
ostrich (08-06-2014), Stew4HD (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

After that drive test, I know I am going to love this car!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
front drive looks faster compared to sh-awd....
Nice engine note.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Sounds good. Obviously a biased report, but I am really impressed. The looks have grown on me.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Sounds good. Obviously a biased report, but I am really impressed. The looks have grown on me.

Same with me . This is a first review that I felt seeing the car as "in person" and I must say now I'm anxious to really check it out. Unfortunately my dealer will get the first cars about Aug 20th
Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. Five speeds: not enough. Six speeds: not enough. Seven speeds: that might be overkill. Eight speeds and nine speeds: that's too much.

What in the world are people after? LOL….
I have been wondering about that also. My TSX has a 5 speed, which seems enough to me. My wife's Camry has a 6 speed, which doesn't shift very different than my TSX. Although the Camry is almost 10 years newer, I still prefer driving the TSX. I test drove an Infiniti awhile back that had an 8 speed, and it shifted too much for my taste. I know Honda has gone to a CVT on the Accord, which I assume does not shift at all.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got to drive one today and even though I'm disappointed there is no 6MT I thoroughly enjoyed the driving experience. At highway speeds with a quick mash of the right pedal the tranny looked for the gear to match. Once it figured it out it took off nicely.

The materials used were comfortable and pleasant to touch, the steering nimble yet controlled and the cabin was quiet during our drive, even so there was little hint of additional db during the 60-80 mph run. The salesman emerged back at the dealership with the BSG* we usually get after a thrill ride, me included. Mind you, I wasn't quivering with adrenaline like I was after driving an '08 S4 with 4.2 6MT. THAT was a thrill ride, but I'm looking for a daily driver.

I'm on the fence about the new SH-AWD TLX and keeping my '06 6MT even at 200k. My verdict: If you know Acura you should be pleasantly surprised by it's appearance, drive and reliability.

* BSG is big stupid grin
a35tl (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Wow talk about a quiet/silent cabin!! Awesome!
a35tl (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts

Ya but save for summer tires, which anyone can get after the fact, and a 6MT which at the same time, we keep hearing about how inferior they are now, who is really offering those other things?

If you take BMW out of the fold with their commitment to stick with the manuals, all one is left with is some trims with available summers, which again is always available after the fact, so no real distinction if you ask me.

We talked about performance not necessarily being the end all, be all for most cars in this market, sure some offer a little more here and there but it's really only the 335 and S4, which not only start where the TLX ends in price, they also don't really sell so many that they can claim bring home the bread.

Modding and auto sport hobby are fine, fun even but it may be that even less are interested in that as there are those who want the things you already mentioned.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-06-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Just test drove the Tech V6 TLX and it's very quiet and powerful...I was there to test drive the i4 but they didn't have them yet

It looks pretty awesome from the outside but not so much on the inside...the dash has a soft touch but wasn't a fan of the texture

Coming from a 3G TL owner, I'm definitely considering it!

I don't see why there's too much negative criticism from some of the guys here, my advice it to get out there and test drive one!
The following 3 users liked this post by Drei:
a35tl (08-06-2014), dysonlu (08-07-2014), internalaudit (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Name:  TXL1_zps24f27edb.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  58.5 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by Drei:
a35tl (08-06-2014), ostrich (08-06-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Racer

I was thinking Coupe because I was wondering why the 6MT Coupe wasn't an Acura but a Honda. A Coupe has the halo effect for sportiness that could help Acura's image.

But I guess Honda was more interested in how many they could ultimately sell, not about the image thing.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Drei
was hoping it would look cleaner in white. That beak does not fit IMHO.

Quick Reply: 5th Generation Acura TL Reviews