5th Generation Acura TL Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And is that why just about every manufacturer keeps making motors that make more hp than the last? Is that why the M, CTS-V, AMG, Corvette, Viper all make in excess of 550-600 hp McLaren 900, LaFerrari 950.......... Just sayin
I tend to agree with you, but on the other hand in the average car, your HP is second to your MPG. A lot of models have foregone power in favor of MPG.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I tend to agree with you, but on the other hand in the average car, your HP is second to your MPG. A lot of models have foregone power in favor of MPG.
That's why there is choice in the same model line-up.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wreak
Yeah but it ended up looking like this which IMO is a pretty handsome sedan.

Ahead of it's time, polarizing to say the least.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
I still don't understand why people say the 4G is and was ahead of its time? How exactly is this? Please explain. I know it's not in the technology department because the 4G is lacking big time and even in 2009 when it was almost on par, it still lacked. The 2014 is so far behind it's not even funny. As for looks it's no futuristic and when I see one, I'm not like holy crap look at that thing. I own a 2011 SH-AWD and I was never blown away by anything particular about the car nor did I ever think the 4G was ahead of its time. The style is more on par with the Infiniti and Lexus cars more than the 3G ever was. I'm not taking anything away from the 3G, but it didn't quite look like an Infiniti or Lexus competitor.
cp3117 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The chase for ever more HP has to end somewhere. Otherwise we'll be driving 500HP Civic's someday. There is a practical limit, especially in a front drive platform. It kind of reminds me of the obsession with ever larger SUVs. That hit a wall pretty quickly. Now the market is chasing the 'CUV' and manufacturers are responding. Very few people buy a car by the numbers on the spec sheet. Once they realize that 0-60 in 7 seconds or less is all they need they won't care what the spec sheet says. Only a few that want to compare 'how big theirs is' to the other guys will care that much. I predict half or more of all TLX sales will be the I4.
Have a third variant for the more spirited driver (Like most automobiles companies.)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:50 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock79
I still don't understand why people say the 4G is and was ahead of its time? How exactly is this? Please explain....
Maybe vtec cam lobes on both the exhaust and the intake cam shafts?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Brock79...I agree that from a technology part, the 4G was never on the cutting edge, but style wise, it may be?! We can't evaluate a current model and say that it was ahead of its time....Its only when people look back in time that we'll know for sure.

Acura is one of the rare car company that you look back at an old model and its vehicle still looks stunning and have aged very well
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
a35tl (04-30-2014), VR1 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I still don't understand why people say the 4G is and was ahead of its time? How exactly is this? Please explain. I know it's not in the technology department because the 4G is lacking big time and even in 2009 when it was almost on par, it still lacked. The 2014 is so far behind it's not even funny. As for looks it's no futuristic and when I see one, I'm not like holy crap look at that thing. I own a 2011 SH-AWD and I was never blown away by anything particular about the car nor did I ever think the 4G was ahead of its time. The style is more on par with the Infiniti and Lexus cars more than the 3G ever was. I'm not taking anything away from the 3G, but it didn't quite look like an Infiniti or Lexus competitor.
Because to most people it was ugly at first. But then they start to warm up to the design, especially after the MMC in 2012. I am one of them. IMO, if Acura saved the 4G design for 5G (or 1G TLX), it would be more well received then it was in 2009.

Another example is 2004-2010 BMW 5 series (E60).
a35tl (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:33 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

4G was ahead of its time?

I am tempted to add to the list the Navi. Simply because they included Alaska as one of the Canadian provinces (at least in my canuc 09 version). Now, that is forward thinking

PS. So where are the reviews? What are they waiting for? C'mon Acura, give a car to a couple of "friendly" journalists and let them have some fun with it!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tonyware
4G was ahead of its time?

I am tempted to add to the list the Navi. Simply because they included Alaska as one of the Canadian provinces (at least in my canuc 09 version). Now, that is forward thinking

PS. So where are the reviews? What are they waiting for? C'mon Acura, give a car to a couple of "friendly" journalists and let them have some fun with it!
Give me an alternative for the SH-AWD -
6 MT in 2010 (the same price range).
Old 04-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The chase for ever more HP has to end somewhere. Otherwise we'll be driving 500HP Civic's someday. There is a practical limit, especially in a front drive platform. It kind of reminds me of the obsession with ever larger SUVs. That hit a wall pretty quickly. Now the market is chasing the 'CUV' and manufacturers are responding. Very few people buy a car by the numbers on the spec sheet. Once they realize that 0-60 in 7 seconds or less is all they need they won't care what the spec sheet says. Only a few that want to compare 'how big theirs is' to the other guys will care that much. I predict half or more of all TLX sales will be the I4.
Do you know what there were saying in 1907 about the MB AAZ that it was a bold ride.

Despite this the four-cylinder engine performed manfully, delivering a very respectable output of 35 hp (26 kW) from a displacement of about 6.8 litres at 800 rpm – allowing a maximum speed of around 40 km/h on level tarmac.

No need for more, otherwise we'll be driving a 50HP Mercedes Benz someday.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by mylove4cars
Give me an alternative for the SH-AWD -
6 MT in 2010 (the same price range).
None.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Racer

I imagine, you don't; give me an alternative for the SH-AWD - 6 MT in 2010 (the same price range).
Old 04-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
And is that why just about every manufacturer keeps making motors that make more hp than the last? Is that why the M, CTS-V, AMG, Corvette, Viper all make in excess of 550-600 hp McLaren 900, LaFerrari 950.......... Just sayin
Sure there is always going to be a market for supercars, but that is a pretty tiny segment. And certainly all those high performance variants are well above the TLX price range. Who is going to pay that kind of premium for a FWD car? I just can't see the TLX going there. I think the average buyer of this car is going to put more emphasis on the MPG number over the HP number. For those that put so much importance on the HP number there is a market for that. Acura is not really that brand. Even their NSX is not going to compare in the HP category to other supercars, but the MPG number will.

Have a third variant for the more spirited driver (Like most automobiles companies.)
If they do make a Type-S it will be more of a style package with some added horsepower. But let's face it, maybe 320? It is going to the front wheels after all. How much real world performance boost is this going to give you? A tenth or 2 off 0-60? It's already expected to be under 6 sec. For most TLX buyers that won't matter, its more than fast enough.

Do you know what there were saying in 1907 about the MB AAZ that it was a bold ride.

Despite this the four-cylinder engine performed manfully, delivering a very respectable output of 35 hp (26 kW) from a displacement of about 6.8 litres at 800 rpm – allowing a maximum speed of around 40 km/h on level tarmac.

No need for more, otherwise we'll be driving a 50HP Mercedes Benz someday.
My point wasn't that since the dawn of the car age there has not been an increase in performance. But probably the improvement in the highway system and the ability to drive at higher speeds had a lot to do with HP increases that was meaningful and beneficial. I bet the TLX could outperform some cars that were once considered 'supercars' a few decades ago. But there is a limit. Are we there yet? I don't know, but I do see a lot of buyers and now manufacturers, and of course the government, placing more and more emphasis on the MPG number over the HP number and I think that trend will continue for awhile.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea ok, like those statistics are going to be out there Just open your eyes, look at the trend on what sells. Large trucks, Larger cars (every model of every car has seen an increase in size over the years) Larger motors, More HP, Higher MPG. Doesnt take a degree in rocket science to figure that out.
So in other words, you DO pull this stuff out of your a$$.

(Following your line of reasoning, 99% of Camrys and Accords would be bought with V6 engines instead of the 4, because people just can't get enough power. Too bad it's not remotely true).

Rocket science indeed.

Last edited by 4thaccord; 05-01-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 4thaccord
So in other words, you DO pull this stuff out of your a$$.

(Following your line of reasoning, 99% of Camrys and Accords would be bought with V6 engines instead of the 4, because people just can't get enough power. Too bad it's not remotely true).

Rocket science indeed.
I believe you are the one that's pulling stuff out of your a$$; without having a dog in this fight, he is saying most brands increase horsepower, hence you get more miles per gallon as a bonus, which is correct. The facts are there without pulling stuff out of your a$$.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:13 AM
Instructor

I believe you are the one that's pulling stuff out of your a$$; without having a dog in this fight, he is saying most brands increase horsepower, hence you get more miles per gallon as a bonus, which is correct. The facts are there without pulling stuff out of your a$$.
Actually his exact words were "Because unfortunately the vast majority of US citizens see #s, Usually the larger the better. When they are comparing and cross shopping/paper racing Acura is behind, not only did they make the engine smaller than the outgoing model, it makes less HP". MPG is virtually not mentioned or implied. And the facts simply do not back up his made-up assertion (otherwise, 7 of the top 10 selling cars in April wouldn't have 4 cylinders).

People not only refuse to admit when they're wrong, but people defend them even when there is absolutely no basis for it. You can tell me today is Tuesday all you want; it's simply not true.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Actually his exact words were "Because unfortunately the vast majority of US citizens see #s, Usually the larger the better. When they are comparing and cross shopping/paper racing Acura is behind, not only did they make the engine smaller than the outgoing model, it makes less HP". MPG is virtually not mentioned or implied. And the facts simply do not back up his made-up assertion (otherwise, 7 of the top 10 selling cars in April wouldn't have 4 cylinders).

People not only refuse to admit when they're wrong, but people defend them even when there is absolutely no basis for it. You can tell me today is Tuesday all you want; it's simply not true.

Who pissed in your Cheerios Try looking OUTSIDE the lines a little. Or do i need to find a way to better illustrate my point to you so that you can understand? Im not the only one that feels this way so No, im not pulling this stuff out of my ass. AND I NEVER said the majority BUY the car with higher #s, I said they SEE #s. Oh and you cant read can you, i did mention/imply MPGs, because its not in bold or highlighted or forefront of the discussion its not implied?

Tell me this, Lets say its time for a new economy car, when YOU look at new vehicles are you attracted to the vehicle that gets 35mpg or 25mpg?? Bigger #. Lets say you are looking for a truck to pull a large boat. Are you more likely to consider a vehicle that has 300lb/ft tq or one with 400?? Once again bigger number. When people look at vehicles they see the larger #. It doesent necessarily mean they are going to buy that model, but it does help people get in the door to see the lineup, where they just might walk out the door with a different vehicle.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 05-02-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I still don't understand why people say the 4G is and was ahead of its time? How exactly is this?
It complied with new passive safety standards well ahead of their being required by law.

One of the results of this was an ACE body structure that nobody else had used just yet (not the way that Acura did), and a high nose that is an incidental and inescapable result of one of the requirements.

It also, unfortunately adopted in its basic design premise a very BOLD (Advance!) look that did not work very well because it arrived at the same time as the huge economic depression of 2008-2009. People were looking to get back to what they had before the downturn; they weren't looking forward to new things, necessarily.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Regarding the figures and numbers debate, I think that we are relying to some extent on the reviewers providing positive reviews that belie the published numbers.

As the driver of a J35Y4, I can say as I've tried to say several times in various places that the perceived performance of the vehicle belies the published numbers.

I've only got 310 HP.

But when I pull out to pass a car, in the time that it might have taken me to reach 25-60 mph in my TL, I'll look down and realize to my surprise that I'm doing more like 80 or 90 mph.

What they've done works...works very well.

Acura are hoping that they've done what they usually do, which is to do the best they can with an idea and never mind what numbers look like.

The reviewers should "get it" and give the TLX a good thumbs up.

But...people also felt that way about the 4G TL and the RLX, so what the hell do they know, eh?
a35tl (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
It complied with new passive safety standards well ahead of their being required by law.

One of the results of this was an ACE body structure that nobody else had used just yet (not the way that Acura did), and a high nose that is an incidental and inescapable result of one of the requirements.

It also, unfortunately adopted in its basic design premise a very BOLD (Advance!) look that did not work very well because it arrived at the same time as the huge economic depression of 2008-2009. People were looking to get back to what they had before the downturn; they weren't looking forward to new things, necessarily.
I'll grant you that starting in 2008 the industry was devastated, but no one is buying your premise that this is why the TL didn't do well in the market particularly when things started to improve towards 2010 and beyond. You can call it bold, most of us simply call it awkward and stunningly incongruous to the 3G (styling and otherwise).
Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Who pissed in your Cheerios Try looking OUTSIDE the lines a little. Or do i need to find a way to better illustrate my point to you so that you can understand? Im not the only one that feels this way so No, im not pulling this stuff out of my ass. AND I NEVER said the majority BUY the car with higher #s, I said they SEE #s. Oh and you cant read can you, i did mention/imply MPGs, because its not in bold or highlighted or forefront of the discussion its not implied?

Tell me this, Lets say its time for a new economy car, when YOU look at new vehicles are you attracted to the vehicle that gets 35mpg or 25mpg?? Bigger #. Lets say you are looking for a truck to pull a large boat. Are you more likely to consider a vehicle that has 300lb/ft tq or one with 400?? Once again bigger number. When people look at vehicles they see the larger #. It doesent necessarily mean they are going to buy that model, but it does help people get in the door to see the lineup, where they just might walk out the door with a different vehicle.
Let me know when you hit on something that will stick and you figure out what the heck you're talking about.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:34 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Looking good I say!

Sharp

Welcoming
The following 4 users liked this post by MuGen7Modulo:
a35tl (05-02-2014), hadokenuh (05-03-2014), ostrich (05-04-2014), Rocket_man (05-04-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Where is that from?
Old 05-02-2014, 07:05 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

fb
Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Racer

(otherwise, 7 of the top 10 selling cars in April wouldn't have 4 cylinders).
That's why:

Extreme poverty in the United States; meaning households living on less than $2 per day before government benefits 1.5 million households in 2011, the poverty rate was higher than in some years of the great depression (1930’s).

It's worse today than in 2011

Last edited by mylove4cars; 05-02-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
Looking good I say!

Sharp

Welcoming
Love those 2 pics, especially the interior shot. Thanks for posting!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:48 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Yeah, I'm digging that interior shot, although the seats look kinda cheap. Almost like they don't have much support.

Here's an older pic of another interior color combo from Acura's FB page (original huge pic can be found here : https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...20925945_o.jpg) :

Old 05-03-2014, 11:30 AM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

I have a strong feeling that seats will have a great combo of comfort/support.
Honda was ahead of everybody offering great seats for many years now.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
The wheels just kill it.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^ the car has a lot of potential, the wheels are just blah like everyone has been saying, hopefully their accessory wheels looks better
a35tl (05-05-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
Looking good I say!

Sharp

Welcoming

Actually I don't think anyone has really complained about the headlights and interior, more so the engine options and the rest of the exterior styling
Old 05-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I still don't understand why people say the 4G is and was ahead of its time?
It's a spin doctor thing. Gee, your car is fugly and unpopular. "No, it is just ahead of its time". Or your momma is soooo fat.... "No, she's just a forward thinker and is ready for 7 years of famine".

Last edited by boe_d; 05-03-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Goosew (05-03-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 04:45 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Where is that from?
Looks like the car that was at the Jazz festival.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
It's a spin doctor thing. Gee, your car is fugly and unpopular. "No, it is just ahead of its time". Or your momma is soooo fat.... "No, she's just a forward thinker and is ready for 7 years of famine".
Or someone saying... you bitch about the 4G too much. "No, he just has great views about everything."

Last edited by mondster; 05-04-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
Maybe vtec cam lobes on both the exhaust and the intake cam shafts?
They were late to the party with both cams in play. Other brands already had both intake & exhaust variable cams. BMW had it beginning on some models in 1996.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
They were late to the party with both cams in play. Other brands already had both intake & exhaust variable cams. BMW had it beginning on some models in 1996.

He is referring to variable lift, wiki says BMW didn't have this in production until 2001, named "valvetronic"(didn't research deep enough to see if this was to both I/E) , first Honda with this tech in USA was 1991 nsx, talk about late to the party... =)~
Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmy18
The wheels just kill it.

Looks exactly like a 4G 2012-14 in that picture...
Old 05-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Let me know when you hit on something that will stick and you figure out what the heck you're talking about.
I already did, its you who cant figure it out.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
Looks exactly like a 4G 2012-14 in that picture...
Those wheels look familiar to something I've seen before. Just can't figure out where.

Quick Reply: 5th Generation Acura TL Reviews