Acura: TLX News

Old 07-09-2003, 10:06 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ncsustash
I don't know where Justin is getting this AWD rumor but it won't happen. I don't want to go into details on a public forum but it ain't gonna happen and this has been confirmed. Plain and simple.
Wow! The heavyweights!!!

Is it just me or is this like Ali vs. Frazier?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tonio
did I see someone mention 9000rpm redline for the RL? could this be possible for the performance version of the tl?
someone was replying to a message from 9000rpm, someone on this site.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:10 PM
__

Justin!

Justin,
Will there be any smart key technology, such as a card or similar to MB's Keyless-Go?

If not, I don't care, BUT ACURA AT LEAST NEEDS TO INTEGRATE THEIR REMOTES INTO THE DAMN KEY! Acura is the only luxury car maker that doesn't do this. The Accord even has it!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Zoot
Justin!

Justin,
Will there be any smart key technology, such as a card or similar to MB's Keyless-Go?

If not, I don't care, BUT ACURA AT LEAST NEEDS TO INTEGRATE THEIR REMOTES INTO THE DAMN KEY! Acura is the only luxury car maker that doesn't do this. The Accord even has it!
Yep, intergrate the remote into the key would be really nice!! Im sure Acura is not leaving any page unturned in this vehicle, Its going to ROCK more than we can imagine
Old 07-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 21 Posts
ok..i gotta apologize..didn't realize 9000rpm was someones name on here, scratch the dumb question about the rl. It would be nice to know some performance specs though
Old 07-09-2003, 10:45 PM
More On

Originally posted by tonio
ok..i gotta apologize..didn't realize 9000rpm was someones name on here, scratch the dumb question about the rl. It would be nice to know some performance specs though
Not to worry -- it can take a while to get the hang of everything about the format!

BTW if 9000RPM gets anywhere near me, I'm running.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Wow - this thread has gone crazy ... I leave for dinner ... handle some stuff with the new twins and BAM ... 3 more pages
Old 07-09-2003, 10:58 PM
6th Gear

im hoping for more power and a 6 speed manual! vented seats would be nice too!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by provench
Wow - this thread has gone crazy ... I leave for dinner ... handle some stuff with the new twins and BAM ... 3 more pages
Yeah, and a lot of new users because of this thread. There's no doubt that there's a lot of anticipation for this car!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by ncsustash
I don't know where Justin is getting this AWD rumor but it won't happen. I don't want to go into details on a public forum but it ain't gonna happen and this has been confirmed. Plain and simple.
I am putting my money on Justin. I doubted him once about information on the TSX (that it would not have a power passenger seat) and I am not going to make that mistake again.

By the way, for someone who lives in Southern California (with no snow and very little rain), would there be any real advantage to an AWD car?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:16 PM
More On

Originally posted by cruiserchuck
......By the way, for someone who lives in Southern California (with no snow and very little rain), would there be any real advantage to an AWD car?
Sand, hills, mountains, trails, dirt, lots of dirt, some mud sometimes......

(Just guessing. Haven't been there since the earthquakes.)
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro

Not to mention the benifits in the ocassonal rain shower/storm in California!

Just watch the Speed Vision Challange on SPEED, the RS6's pulled away from the vetts and stangs in the heavy rain at Lime Rock Park.

The AWD systems are the best at full time control all the time!
Old 07-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Pro

Originally posted by unsure
very very tru

some of the posters there are so close-minded since they own the current tl that they HATE the next-gen Tl no matter how great it may ever proclaimed to be.
Yeah, I've noticed that oh for some time now. As the current owner of an '02 TL while nice and better then the '99-'01 still has room for improvement. More pwr never hurts but the car lacks features. My reasons for finally getting the year I did was due to the memory seating/mirrors, tilt in reverse pass mirror, revised suspension and brakes, and standard CD changer. However as I stated more is needed. A pass seat that is 8 way pwr, a pwr tilt/telescopic steering wheel, heated rear seats, a better sound system with more kick to it, pwr rear window shade, more head room, more rear seat leg room, and a trunk that is larger than 14 cu ft. Now real wood would be nice, tires that grip (my '95 TL had RE 88 summer compounds), sharper handling, wider tires and wheels, and the general improvements made to the new Accord would be good. It seems that Acura is going all out. So while the current TL is a nice car and while I get lots of attention with it, it ain't all that!
Old 07-10-2003, 12:58 AM
Advanced

Go ask the dealers---
I went to my local dealer and they had most of the info on the car but i just couldnt get it out of them. Maybe you would have better luck
Old 07-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Anyone wonder why there are white/silver lines on the trunk of the TL while the rest of the car is black? Are they just there to cover something up? or is there another reason- (as you can see, that silver spot is on multiple cars, so it must be there for a reason)

J.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by justinjsw
Well since they can say it... I guess its ok for me too...I told provench this last month but ask him not to say anything...HPT...is a revised version of VTM-4/with a high performance package.

Re: 9000rpm...The new Honda legend to debut at the Tokyo Auto later in the year will be our new 05RL.
Actually he said the new Legend is coming out prior to Tokyo Motor Show. He also says Legend is a sport study while Honda will introduce an ultra luxury car next year. He also mentions of a tall sport wagon with 2+3 seating similar to Toyota Matrix making appearence at Tokyo Motor Show.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I was under the impression that the next RL would be based on the largest "mid-sized" platform, ie. Odyssey/MDX chassis. This would lower R&D costs, and allow them to use the 260 HP MDX motor and still call it the 3.5 RL. If this is true, it will be related to the TSX, and TL. This would also explain the comments by 9000rpms Japan connection stating that the TL wil be the Legend in Japan.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:50 AM
1st Gear

Sup,

Any posssibility the 6 speed could be an SMG type transmission found on M3/Z4 instead of just a traditional manual?

cobra
Old 07-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Pro

I'm grateful for the wealth of info. on the next TL Justin and other people have supplied us with, but anyone else curious about the interior? For me, this is the deal breaker. The interior of the TSX is what made me take interest in it and consider it as my next car purchase. Now I'm leaning towards the TL.

My question is, does anyone have any insight into the design of the interior, aside from what has been mentioned?
Old 07-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Hey VtecMW,

question for ya..

when you went to put the deposit down on your soon to own 04TL... what did the dealer give(paperwork etc..) to show that you have a deposit down and that you got dibs on first TL?

reason i ask.. i'm gona go this week to put one down and i am wondering what i should expect.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Instructor

There has been no talk of the interior yet, or at least I have not seen or read about it?? Im guessing more the lines of the RL with the gauges and all!---they light up really nice. I hope the Navi system is intergrated in the dash really nice too, not just plug it in a hole!
Old 07-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Pro

I also have placed an order with my local Acura dealer for the 04 TL

Regarding your order, yes, you will get a normal contract from the dealer, they will write in that it is for a 2004 TL.

Make sure that they write the following on it for your protection:

1. Deposit is Fully Refundable (most printed contracts say the deposit is non-refundable)
2. Price will not exceed MSRP (since pricing is not set yet, they can not put a price on the contract, by putting "does not exceed MSRP", allows you to get the car at MSRP, not higher, or negotiate down if you can).

Most dealers I talked to before placing the order were asking for a deposit of $100 - $250

Other misc info to place on it would be a color choice, and transmission, and anything else like HPT

Good luck with it, the only thing to remember is that you can't set price yet, you are only reserving your spot to get one of the first ones (they also say this will allow them to share info, but I have not gotten any yet).
Old 07-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Colin
I was under the impression that the next RL would be based on the largest "mid-sized" platform, ie. Odyssey/MDX chassis. This would lower R&D costs, and allow them to use the 260 HP MDX motor and still call it the 3.5 RL. If this is true, it will be related to the TSX, and TL. This would also explain the comments by 9000rpms Japan connection stating that the TL wil be the Legend in Japan.
Building the RL off of the next Odyssey platform. Well I had read some where that Honda was on the quest to build the stiffest platform for the next Ody and thus stiffing the next MDX. It would be interesting if they did that. Humm, 260 combined with IMA for 460 HP and not to mentioned excellent gas mileage.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Pro

JJstokes -

On page 10 of this thread, Provench writes some info on the interior as follows

---

By the way - here are some more tidbits from an unnamed, but near as reliable (pre print of owner's manual):

- 8 inch screen from TSX for Navi
- 8 inch screen for the NON-NAVI !!
- wheels are 17x7.5 235/45R17 V rated tires (he said the wheels fit current TL as well )
- 5 spoke wheels similar to the pre-production model
- Gauges similar to TSX, but with 3 circle design like RL (it will have the LED based gauges)
- NO predetermined service intervals
- Multi purpose display that will display service info when it has determined that it is required
- heated outside mirrors and power heated seats
- blinkers in the mirrors like the TSX
- Moon roof is one touch open and close with CONTROLS ON THE ROOF !!
- 3-spoke steering wheel similar to TSX
- 6-speed and 5 auto confirmed

Take it for what it is worth ... on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being rumor and 10 being truth, if info from Justin is a 10 ... this stuff is a 9

--------

Hope this helps a little.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any leaks on the dimensions of the car? I've only read "smaller than the current TL"... but, considering I think the current TL is a boat, this doesn't tell me anything. I have the feeling that, even if it isn't much smaller physically, the design will make it look that way. Still, living in the downtown area of a large city and navigating parking spots and parking garages... the size of the TSX will make me nervous if I buy one in a few months (more so the turning circle)....
Old 07-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Pro

Everything I have read / heard from posts and mags says it will be around the size of the accord, around 189-190"

When I saw it at the NY auto show, it did not look much smaller than that. The biggest cue was the short appearance of the trunk vs the current car.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:17 AM
More On

Originally posted by vitocorleone
Any leaks on the dimensions of the car? I've only read "smaller than the current TL"... but, considering I think the current TL is a boat, this doesn't tell me anything. I have the feeling that, even if it isn't much smaller physically, the design will make it look that way. Still, living in the downtown area of a large city and navigating parking spots and parking garages... the size of the TSX will make me nervous if I buy one in a few months (more so the turning circle)....
Hey Vito, welcome "back"!

And, right on! Except, I'd say, even more than whether the design will make it LOOK smaller, it's how the car FEELS -- how sporty, how nifty, how nimble.

That's where I have some doubts.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Advanced

So do we know if the HPT model is replacing the Type S... or will we see down the road an HPT Type S... just curious.

Still waiting on some spy pics of the interior... that is the real question... since I think the exterior will be pretty much the same as the "concept".

Keep the info coming!

B.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

Info about RL @ Tokyo Motor Show???

Been reading on this thread that the new RL will be introduced this year at the Tokyo Motor Show...Info everyone here, the TMS is held only every other year (even years) and will not have another show until late October, early November 2004.

I spent 11 years in Japan, and visited all shows while I was there.

Mike
Old 07-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Cruisin'

Re: Info about RL @ Tokyo Motor Show???

Originally posted by Mike Freitas
Been reading on this thread that the new RL will be introduced this year at the Tokyo Motor Show...Info everyone here, the TMS is held only every other year (even years) and will not have another show until late October, early November 2004.

I spent 11 years in Japan, and visited all shows while I was there.

Mike
Wrong... The Tokyo Motor Show happens every year now. They used to be once every 2 years prior to 1999. Since 1999 they have adopted currently formula of alternating between passenger cars/motorcycle with commercial vehicles. Last year was commercial so this year is the passenger cars/motorcycle. The Tokyo Motor Show runs from Oct 24th to Nov 5th 2003.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Jason
"Nice dirt! Why does the TSX board always seem to have more TL info than the TL board?"

That's pretty funny.
Hey, that was me,

Thanks for the cross-over publicity.

My 03 TLS-Navi (worst car I have ever owned) will be going back to the dealer as soon as the 04 comes out! (If it like this thread states)
Old 07-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Cruisin'

EmuMessenger- why is your '03 TLS Navi your worst car ever? What's wrong with it?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by JUNPWRD
EmuMessenger- why is your '03 TLS Navi your worst car ever? What's wrong with it?
Yes, what are your issues?? Transmission??

Colin, welcome!!! It has been awhile since we've heard from you.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up Phoenix is Hot

I would like to know if 2004 TL will have ventilated seats. (Which cars have it ? and how do they work?) I live in Phoenix and will cover my leather seats with sheepskin if ventilated seats are not available. Supposed to get up to 116 today - But it's a dry heat (until you start sweating - sweat and hot leather don't mix). Acura are you listening? I would think that throughout South US including humid spots like New Orleans, Houston would like ventilated seats. Right??

Anxious to get 2004 TL - Redondo Red with Carmel interior. Vroom!! :flamer:
Old 07-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by jjstokes
Hey VtecMW,

question for ya..

when you went to put the deposit down on your soon to own 04TL... what did the dealer give(paperwork etc..) to show that you have a deposit down and that you got dibs on first TL?

reason i ask.. i'm gona go this week to put one down and i am wondering what i should expect.
jjstokes, when I went they completed some paperwork, took my name down, model I want, color (interior and exterior), license number, SSN #, etc. Then, they have my total deposit listed. They also made a MSRP designation, meaning they can't charge above MSRP when I purchase.

When I went, there was very little info on the car, so I'm sitting in the system being shown as having a deposit down. I was told that I will be contacted when more information is released on the car and it is available for order, so that I can make any additional selections I'd like.

Then, they took my $1K... cash, credit or check!! oh yes, make sure it is refundable. They were really good about stressing "If you don't buy this car, someone will, so you will have no problem getting your deposit back."I received a receipt of course, along with the deposit document. Finally, I received a letter a week later thanking me for my business from the sales rep who helped me.

The whole process took about 45 mins. It's not much, but I know I'll be near the front of the line when the car becomes available. I'd rather purchase some of the first off the assembly line. I know, some think this is a bad idea. But, I'd like to think they'd put some care into the builds of the early models, rather than waiting to it goes into mass production and people treat the builds as routine and quality starts slipping. Crossing my fingers!

need4spd, Acuman... let me know of any new developments from your dealers since you have deposits down as well. I'll do the same.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JUNPWRD
I have 12,000 miles on the car.

You better have some for this story.

Three transmissions

Three replaced foglight housings. I know you are thinking they can crack with normal driving, but I still have a 97 Jeep Cherokee, with 85k miles and have not had to even replace a bulb, let along the housing. My 96 Maxima went three years and I never had to replace a foglight housing in that car either. (Note: We got an '03 Accord EX-V6-Navi for my wife and she has already had two cracks, since November)

The AUTO down feature on the driver's side window was fixed once and is now intermittant. (The service tech cannot replicate the problem)

The Passenger-side mirror does not always work, although it always tilts down in reverse.

Dead front power outlet after four months

The navigation system has not been right since day one. The voice instructions are frequently cut-off. I am told it is a software problem, but there has not been an update for more than a year.

Now, here is a little more data for you. This car replaced my 99 TL-Navi. I bought the 03 TLS-Navi on the merit of my 99.

The only problems I had with my 99 were:

Creaky sunroof, glove compartment and driver's seat
Warped front rotors

All of which are present in my 03, excluding the rotor problem.

Need I say more?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Phoenix is Hot

Originally posted by Acuman
I would like to know if 2004 TL will have ventilated seats. (Which cars have it ? and how do they work?)
Ventilated seats are AWESOME!

Essentially, they work like the top of an air hockey table. They are perforated and the A/C system will blow through if you turn it on.

Many cars have them now. Here are a few examples:

Saab 9-5
BMW 7 series
Ford Expedition
Lincoln Navigator
Infiniti M45

There are others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

I have been in the Saab and the 7 series.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:45 PM
3rd Gear

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
I have 12,000 miles on the car.

You better have some for this story.

Three transmissions

Three replaced foglight housings. I know you are thinking they can crack with normal driving, but I still have a 97 Jeep Cherokee, with 85k miles and have not had to even replace a bulb, let along the housing. My 96 Maxima went three years and I never had to replace a foglight housing in that car either. (Note: We got an '03 Accord EX-V6-Navi for my wife and she has already had two cracks, since November)

The AUTO down feature on the driver's side window was fixed once and is now intermittant. (The service tech cannot replicate the problem)

The Passenger-side mirror does not always work, although it always tilts down in reverse.

Dead front power outlet after four months

The navigation system has not been right since day one. The voice instructions are frequently cut-off. I am told it is a software problem, but there has not been an update for more than a year.

Don't you want to look into having AHM buy back your TL under the lemon law? It wouldn't be right for you to take the loss and trade it in after a year. We had our 2001 VW Golf "lemoned" a couple of years ago in CA. Something you could think about.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by howa
Don't you want to look into having AHM buy back your TL under the lemon law? It wouldn't be right for you to take the loss and trade it in after a year. We had our 2001 VW Golf "lemoned" a couple of years ago in CA. Something you could think about.
I am waged in that war, now!
Old 07-10-2003, 01:54 PM
3rd Gear

Good luck with the process. Hopefully you'll get all your money back and be ready for the '04 when it comes out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News