Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 02:26 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dulux
.....just thought Id let you know what a pain in the ass you guys are.

oh yeah you are bookmarked now.
Good move. And yes, I guess we are.

BTW, maybe you already know this, but.....It also would have worked to go to google (or any of those things) and plug in "Acura TSX" (or anything like that). We would have shown up as one of the first few things. I do stuff like that whenever I'm having trouble finding anything.

Happens all the time to me on here. Like, if someone uses a strange term like "horsepower" or "headlights" or "engine," I just check it out on google.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:32 PM
__

Originally posted by Zoot
Justin!

Justin,
Will there be any smart key technology, such as a card or similar to MB's Keyless-Go?

If not, I don't care, BUT ACURA AT LEAST NEEDS TO INTEGRATE THEIR REMOTES INTO THE DAMN KEY! Acura is the only luxury car maker that doesn't do this. The Accord even has it!

Hey Justinjsw, my question got buried by all of the drama and was left unanswered. Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2003, 02:37 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Zoot
Hey Justinjsw, my question got buried by all of the drama and was left unanswered. Any thoughts?
Right now I don't know. As far as the integrated remotes go I was told it will make it on to the TL. I have not seen any facts sheet and the options list I have seen doesn't list anything in detail.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Glad to see some good conversation again.

As for the dealer ordering in a week, I definitely side with Justin on that one.

If a dealer was going to place an order, they would have to know what it is they were ordering.

No flaming please, but I would prefer ventilated seats if I had to choose A/C in the seats Vs. AWD.

I hope the smart key option happens too. I went to see the Infiniti FX-35 and the intellgent key feature is awesome. I walked up to the car and pushed a button on the door handle, then got in and turned the ignition.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:21 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

FWIW about the key, my friends commented that they liked my key + fob. They each drive BMW 323's with integrated keys. :P
Old 07-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Pro

I'm with ya there EmuMessenger! The card key is a nice feature and I would really like for Acura to bring it from Japan. A few weeks ago I test drove the G35 (nice handling, GREAT BRAKES, cheap interior) and looked at the FX35.

I'd take the AWD and card key. If I had to pay extra and had to choose one or the other, well it would be the card key as it hardly ever snows w/ or w/out freezing rain in Kansas (where I'm at).

Also as for the vented seats, yeah that would be nice however I'd bet you'd see it on the next RL first. Knowing Acura, maybe not even then. They're a little slow on things you know.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Banned

A local auto columnist said at the radio that he will test drive the 2004 TL next week in California. We just need more spy pictures!
Old 07-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Instructor

I'm new to this site but I just talked to the Sales Manager at Gunn Acura in San Antonio. He didn't have a lot of information about the 04 TL but here's what he had:

No Type "S" (we already knew that)
290HP
Theater type sound system
Dealer info in September
TL's in showrooms by October.

He took my phone number and e-mail and promised to keep me informed.

I currently have a 2003 TL Type "S" but it's my wife's car and I want one of my own.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Advanced

I just told you what the dealer told me.. He seemed to be pretty informed on the situation. He promised to keep me informed about any new info as he recieves it.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:53 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by huskerfan
I'm new to this site but I just talked to the Sales Manager at Gunn Acura in San Antonio. He didn't have a lot of information about the 04 TL but here's what he had:

290HP
Dealer info in September

I currently have a 2003 TL Type "S" but it's my wife's car and I want one of my own.

290hp? In a fwd car? that doesnt sound right to me. We'll see I guess.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:55 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

290HP
Dealer info in September

From all indications the car will not have 290HP. Theater sound system is>>>DVD audio 5.1.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Advanced

290HP
Dealer info in September

If this was true the RL would have to be well over 300HP
Old 07-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Cruisin'

Varmint

The AWD system in Audi is same as VW's 4motion. That is not cheap subsitute however the ones in 3 series XI and C-class 4matic are though.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Instructor

The new RL wouldn't necessarily have to have > 300HP. The current RL has the same HP as the TL and 35HP less than the Type "S". The RL strives for more luxury, not necessarily more HP or performance.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
This is a reprint from some technical "whte papers" on the current MDX VTM-4 system. I find it interesting in light of some of the issues varment was mentioning.

There are three distinct modes of VTM-4 engagement. The first - called the acceleration torque control (ATC) mode - is unique to this system. It works even on dry pavement to distribute driving torque to all four wheels as the MDX accelerates from a stop to cruising speed. One notable benefit of this mode is that traction is immediately available to move the vehicle from rest through a slippery intersection before slippage occurs. (Once a wheel slips, the traction available for forward propulsion and lateral restraint is significantly diminished.) A second advantage is that apportioning drive torque among all four wheels greatly diminishes the likelihood of torque steer. Handling dynamics are also improved. Reducing the propulsive force carried by the front tires leaves more adhesion for steering the vehicle into a tight bend or for holding cornering arc in the middle of a turn. In other words, the MDX's dynamic balance is greatly enhanced by ATC logic.

Rear wheel torque rises smoothly from zero to the maximum setting in proportion to vehicle acceleration (both forward and reverse). At higher speeds, the front wheels are capable of providing the desired thrust with excellent handling so torque delivered to the rear wheels automatically diminishes with speed. While cruising, all driving torque is delivered by the front wheels in the interests of smoothness, quietness, and fuel efficiency.

The second engagement mode uses wheel slippage control logic. If the difference in rotational speed between front and rear wheels rises because of a slippery surface or poor traction at the front of the vehicle, that condition is detected by wheel-speed sensors which are monitored by VTM-4's ECU. In response, the ECU commands an increasing amount of torque for the rear wheels. Torque is proportional to both slip rate and the rate at which the slip rate is increasing. This operation is similar to conventional slip-based all-wheel-drive systems already on the market.

The third mode of all-wheel-drive engagement activates when the driver taps a lock button mounted on the instrument panel. The maximum amount of rear-drive torque is locked in until the vehicle gets moving and exceeds six mph, at which time rear drive torque is gradually diminished. By 18 mph, the lock mode is fully disengaged. When vehicle speed drops below 18 mph, the lock mode automatically reengages. The shift lever must be in the first, second, or reverse-gear position to use the lock mode.

The maximum torque del - 31 degrees (60-percent slope) - with a two-passenger load on board. The MDX will also move from rest up a 28-degree (53-percent slope) dirt grade. On a split-friction grade (different amounts of traction at each wheel), VTM-4 automatically provides sufficient rear-wheel torque to help the vehicle climb a steep, slippery driveway to enter a garage.

Old 07-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Saintor
A local auto columnist said at the radio that he will test drive the 2004 TL next week in California. We just need more spy pictures!
You need to call the radio station or paper that employs this test driver.

Then, get in touch with him to see where he will be taking the test drive.

Next, send someone from the board to go take pictures during his drive.

Lastly, post the pictures here!
Old 07-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EmuMessenger

No flaming please, but I would prefer ventilated seats if I had to choose A/C in the seats Vs. AWD.

Emu,

I went to Saab yesterday to drive a 9-5 Aero with ventilated seats. I was only mildly impressed. Mind you, this car was sitting out on the lot - it was 110 outside. When they delivered the car to the showroom area, it wasn't fully cooled down yet. The seat cooling was at least noticeable when we returned the car to the lot. I think I would still opt for it and maybe be willing to pay a few hundred if it is an option. In Phoenix in summer, every little bit of cooling helps.

BTW - this Saab 9-5 is a 4 cylinder FWD with about 200 hp. It has great power for 4cyl. and handling - much better than my old 4cyl Honda Accord. May be my second or third choice - we'll see soon.

Varmint - you got to be a car mechanic or mechanical engineer. 'fess up

Acuman

PS - Hope my name isn't too close to Acuraman - took it before I saw your post.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Acuman
BTW - this Saab 9-5 is a 4 cylinder FWD with about 200 hp. It has great power for 4cyl. and handling - much better than my old 4cyl Honda Accord.
you forgot to mention it has a turbo
Old 07-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Okay I found out what HPT stands for. HPT = High Performance Touring, and as we knew it's a package for the 6sp. The details are still questionable according to my source.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:08 PM
9th Gear

Varmint - you got to be a car mechanic or mechanical engineer. 'fess up.
Dude, I don't even change my own oil.

I just happen to have come into the Honda family by way of a 1999 CR-V. While sports car fans trash talk suspension parts, engines, and horsepower, we SUV guys sit around the keyboard and chat about traction.

I like what Honda does with AWD because it provides reasonable traction, doesn't kill fuel economy, and the units weigh considerably less than some from the competition. However, when it comes to traction alone, I think Subaru probably has the best systems. They actually have several, each with slightly different abiliities. There are so many, I've lost track of them.

9000rpms - The terms 4-Motion and Quattro are nearly interchangable. While Audit calls the system in the TT "Quattro", it is actually the same as 4-Motion. However, there are differences in some of their designs regardless of how they name them.

Regardless, both are permanent AWD designs and are better suited for performance applications than the current VTM4 system. An adapted VTM4 (however they do it) might open up some interested possibilities, though.

Colin - Thank you for posting those specs. Take a look at how Isuzu's Torque On Demand (TOD) system works and you'll see quite a few similarities. Both VTM4 and TOD were (co)designed by Borg Warner, a respected developer of traction systems. TOD is a much more heavy-duty design, complete with low range gearing, but some of the same characteristics are there.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro

Originally posted by RJC RSX
Okay I found out what HPT stands for. HPT = High Performance Touring, and as we knew it's a package for the 6sp. The details are still questionable according to my source.
Hey, I guessed that back on the other site before the great exodus. Soo, what do I win
Old 07-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Precision Crafted
Hey, I guessed that back on the other site before the great exodus. Soo, what do I win
Old 07-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Drifting

How'd you post that cookie?
Old 07-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Racer

Anyone with any speculation on the torque rating of the new TL's engine? In terms of providing utter thrill of acceleration, the G35 is hard to beat in this price range. I wonder if Acura will attempt to unseat the G35's 0-60 time with this model refresh. I believe others have speculated that if most of the trim levels are FWD, Acura would probably not want a torquey TL. Just for fun, what do people think the 0-60 time will be? Anyone think sub 6 sec on the 6MT??
Old 07-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Easily sub 6 sec with 6MT. Hell, the Accord coupe does that now.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Jason
How'd you post that cookie?
[img][/img] tags

[img] <URL> [/img]
Old 07-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Instructor

what happened to the option sheet that was promised?????? By Motor!! Damn I cannot wait till this car come out---its killing me
Old 07-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Advanced

yea i was waitin for it too
Old 07-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by princed
Just for fun, what do people think the 0-60 time will be? Anyone think sub 6 sec on the 6MT??

I say 5.5---just a wild guess
Old 07-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Jason
Easily sub 6 sec with 6MT. Hell, the Accord coupe does that now.
I thought the 6MT Accord coupe was more in the range of 6.2+ sec...
Old 07-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by princed
I thought the 6MT Accord coupe was more in the range of 6.2+ sec...
I think it was MT that got 5.8. Somebody did for sure.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Instructor

thats one hell of a time for a stock Accord for sure!!!!
I dont see the Acura being a rocket ship, but more of a luxury cruiser with a little (lot) of sport to it....This waiting is killing me more and more! Good thing Im going TDY for a month so I can forget about it. When I come back Im sure to come to alot of information and maybe a final product of the TL
Old 07-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Cruisin'

Varmint

That's what I meant because TT is built on Golf platform and the engine is mounted in a different direction than A4's.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:30 PM
More On

Okay I found out what HPT stands for. HPT = High Performance Touring.....
Sounds right. Anyway, "tires" seemed obviously lame as a possibility.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Pro

LOL
Old 07-13-2003, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Acuman
Originally posted by EmuMessenger

Emu,

I went to Saab yesterday to drive a 9-5 Aero with ventilated seats. I was only mildly impressed. Mind you, this car was sitting out on the lot - it was 110 outside. When they delivered the car to the showroom area, it wasn't fully cooled down yet. The seat cooling was at least noticeable when we returned the car to the lot. I think I would still opt for it and maybe be willing to pay a few hundred if it is an option. In Phoenix in summer, every little bit of cooling helps.
Sorry it wasn't as great to you as me.

Here is the big question...

Did the seats prevent your back from sweating?
Old 07-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Lightbulb

the big question...

EMU

Well, I guess it helped with that aspect of comfort. I don't remember my back being soggy after the ride. The dash AC was great. All things considered, I will/would opt for ventilated seats if available, but it won't be a deal breaker for me re: buying a 2004 TL.

Where is that option sheet?

Old 07-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know where that other guy disappeared to, but I'll be picking up the option sheet from my dealer tomorrow afternoon, so expect it scanned and hosted by tomorrow evening.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

the big question...

EMU

Well, I guess it helped with that aspect of comfort. I don't remember my back being soggy after the ride. The dash AC was great. All things considered, I will/would opt for ventilated seats if available, but it won't be a deal breaker for me re: buying a 2004 TL.

Where is that option sheet?

Fair enough. It will not prevent me from getting the car either, but it is a top notch "nice to have" IMHO.

If you are in Phoenix and your back was not "soggy" that is an accomplishment.

By the way, I am starting to feel self-conscious. I am of average proportions. 5'10" and 184 lbs. and not a prolific sweater.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:07 PM
Instructor

I don't know where that other guy disappeared to, but I'll be picking up the option sheet from my dealer tomorrow afternoon, so expect it scanned and hosted by tomorrow evening.
Cool beans, See if you can sqeeze any more info from your dealer...pics?? interior to be specific or anything for that matter

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News