Slight whine/noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Slight whine/noise when accelerating

I did search before posting this, but couldn't seem to find a clear answer. The closest thread that addresses my question is on the TSX forum here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/when-stepping-accelerator-670760/

When the stereo is off and there is no noise in the cabin, when I press the accelerator, I hear a low whining noise. The second I lift off the accelerator, the noise is gone. It's very quiet (so if any noise is going on like talking or the radio, you would never notice it) and it reminds me of the type noise you'd hear when an alternator induces noise in the stereo, but it seems like this noise is coming from the floor area somewhere near the pedals.

As soon as you remove the accelerator the noise goes away, so maybe it is alternator related!?

It seems to be very common if you look at the thread above, but I'm curious: anyone else have this noise and if so, does anyone know what the heck it is and if there is a way to fix it, or is it just a quirk I need to live with? Although, it's not a big deal, because 99% of the time, I'll have my stereo on anyway

I'm not sure it matters, but I have an SH-AWD Advance for those who want to check theirs and compare notes.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the RL drivers complain of a whir sound.

they found its the propeller shaft of the awd system.
search the RL subforum for this noise.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Read this thread on TL propeller shaft :

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838324
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Read this thread on TL propeller shaft :

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838324
The thread you linked to is this thread or am I missing something?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:08 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
My mistake.

The correct thread :

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/whistling-sound-front-car-765546/
Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Thanks for the correct link and for your help. I posted on that thread, it seems crazy that this problem would be occurring on a brand-new SH-AWD Advance with only 30 miles. Even crazier that this problem has been going on since 2009 and they haven't fixed it.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Update: My service manager said the noise is nothing to worry about. He said it has to do with tolerances in the transmission and is final drive noise. He said it could improve over time as the transmission wears in. Truly, I want it to be nothing/not a problem so I hope he's right. He seemed very doubtful it was the propeller shaft and said that sound was a different sounds.

Anyone with mechanical knowledge to confirm or deny?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2012 SH-AWD and my g/f's 2012 MDX both have this sound. In my younger days, I was a car audio enthusiast and alternator whine was very easy to diagnose in terms of symptoms but very difficult to resolve and find the root cause without tearing out all of the hidden wiring. The fact that this doesn't seem to be directly from a speaker and is without the stereo even powered on makes me scratch my head. Why would a $40K+ car that is supposed to be a luxo line have this noise and further, why would we as owners who paid this much accept it?

I'm taking my car in late this week or early next week to have it looked at. I hope I don't get the "it's normal and nothing to worry about" because I don't know that I'll be very accepting of that response.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi 2K12SHAWD,

My car is a 2012 TL FWD TECH and it is doing the same whine/ noise when accelerating. Just to find out if you drove your car to a dealer and looked at it. Please let me know if you found the problem.
Thanks.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Sorry for not posting this earlier. Thanks for reminding me. I did take my car in and one of the shop supervisors (lead mechanic?) went on a ride with me. He absolutely heard it and acted as if he wasn't surprised by it. He and the service advisor both told me that there isn't a fix nor TSB. The service advisor at the adjacent desk actually has a 2012 AWD and said his does it too. I heard one of them talk about the possibility of the AWD 'propeller shaft' being the culprit. This would make sense since my girlfriend's MDX does it as well.

Now you are saying you have it in a FWD which would be counter to that assumption.

I was given the 800 number for Acura and told to file a complaint. If Acura gets enough blow back they will need to look at a fix. Who knows?! I'm not happy about buying a $45k car with noise problems that I'm told to just accept.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,
I'm new here but i think i may have a problem relating to this issue. I have an 06 Acura RL. Owned it for 3 years and now i'm starting ot hear this noise. I can only hear it when i accelerate and I know it's new. I LOVE this car from the day I test drove it and now this noise is driving me crazy. I'm not willing to accept that it is what it is because it wasn't until about a week ago. I popped open the Hood and removed the engine cover, had my wife step on the gas while it was in park (Brave move I know) and the noise sounds like it's coming from the belt. I'm no car expert so i can't say for sure. has anyone experienced this?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fshawn
Hello,
I'm new here but i think i may have a problem relating to this issue. I have an 06 Acura RL. Owned it for 3 years and now i'm starting ot hear this noise. I can only hear it when i accelerate and I know it's new. I LOVE this car from the day I test drove it and now this noise is driving me crazy. I'm not willing to accept that it is what it is because it wasn't until about a week ago. I popped open the Hood and removed the engine cover, had my wife step on the gas while it was in park (Brave move I know) and the noise sounds like it's coming from the belt. I'm no car expert so i can't say for sure. has anyone experienced this?
I'd say I am 99.999% confident that your noise is different than what the basis of this thread is about. Belt noise, especially in a 6 year old vehicle, is to be expected. Typically it's resolved with tightening or some lubricant.

http://www.wikihow.com/Quiet-a-Noisy-Fan-Belt
The following users liked this post:
fshawn (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2K12SHAWD
I'd say I am 99.999% confident that your noise is different than what the basis of this thread is about. Belt noise, especially in a 6 year old vehicle, is to be expected. Typically it's resolved with tightening or some lubricant.

http://www.wikihow.com/Quiet-a-Noisy-Fan-Belt

thanks i'll follow the steps here and repost with results.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM
5th Gear

HI 2k12SHAWD,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the dealer. My FWD car keeps doing the whine noise all the time when accelerating and the transmission is also jerking when shifting up/down between 2nd and 3rd gears. There is another post for transmission jerking and I know your car is the AWD but I am just curious to know if you have experienced the same jerking problem.
I took my car to the dealer and showed them both problems. They said it is normal in the first 1000 miles to experience these issues and they suggested me to bring the car to the dealer again if the problems persist after the first 1000 miles.
I am not happy neither. I will call Acura and file the complaint also.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

I have experienced a whistling/squeal sound from the front passenger floor/engine area since I bought her new (2012 SHAWD) under acceleration usually starts at 40 mph, finally was able to have a mechanice verify the sound as it wasn't always reproducible on a consistent basis, propellar shaft replaced today, no noise on the drive home.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 PM
10th Gear

Same deal with whine/squeal. Mine is at low speeds when I am lightly pressing the accelerator. Also notice it more when turning at low speeds (less than 10 MPH, like in a parking deck). I figured it was tire noise or a belt. Hopefully it goes away after break in as my '12 Advance only has 1K miles.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 AM
3rd Gear

Hi, I have a 04 TL with 106,000km. It makes a wurring sound when I drive, more so at lower rpms (or maybe it's just easier to hear it then). I changed my serpentine belt because the mechanic at the Acura dealership thought it was making the noise. even after changing the Serpentine belt it still wurrs, and another mechanic gave it a quick listen and thinks it's the alternator. I drove it in my underground parking and recorded it. Have a listen and please let me know if it's the same sound that you had before or if you think you know what it is. I'll start reading the above mentioned threads now, and check back later. Thanks.

by the way I also changed my water pump and timing belt. The car drives perfectly, with no noticable lack of power. Just the ugly sound.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 PM
6th Gear

Whine/Noise Found

I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech and had the same noise. Would start between 40-50 mph and stop when slowing past 20-25 mph. Waited until it became constant and took it to the dealer and a mechanic rode with me. He recognized it right away, put it on the lift and pinpointed it to the propeller shaft. Problem solved. Don't put it off, the propeller shaft is not cheap, so get it fixed under warranty if possible.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:09 PM
3rd Gear

Mechanic said it's the idler tensioner and bearing that needs to be replaced. He was really busy so I'll call him to get a more specific description.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM
5th Gear

This thread has been inactive for quite some time now and I am just wondering if the users who experienced the problems exposed in this thread, already resolve it or not. No more cars with the same problem?.
Well I am still dealing with the same whine noise issue when slightly accelerating/coasting between 0 to 25 miles/hours (1st and 2nd gears). I took my car to the dealer two days ago and today they released the car saying that they drove it and noticed the noise but did not found anything wrong with the car after doing multiple tests. They also said they drove another brand new car (same model) and although the noise is a little bit laughter in my car, in the new one is also there. Lastly, they call Acura and the response was that it is a normal condition.
As far as I can recall based on my personal experience with others car manufacturers, this is the first brand new car in where an annoying high pitch whine noise is considered normal. It is ridiculous!!. I would be a lot more happy if Acura admit there is a problem here but they do not know how to resolve it yet or they realized it was a design weakness . We are humans (made mistakes) but please Acura, shows respect to the customers who in some ways trust in your apparent reputation and invest a lot of their money in buying your luxury (expensive) cars. Buying this car was or course my personal election, no body pushed me to do it, It is just sad to regret for another wrong decision in my life.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Resurrecting an old thread. Any updates or findings to share?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 2K12SHAWD
Resurrecting an old thread. Any updates or findings to share?
Hello I own a 2008 Acura MDX and took my car in for a transmission flush and oil change today and now I have the whining noise when the gears are shifting. Going to call them 1st thing and see what they say.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

Same issue

Originally Posted by SV-AWD
Same deal with whine/squeal. Mine is at low speeds when I am lightly pressing the accelerator. Also notice it more when turning at low speeds (less than 10 MPH, like in a parking deck). I figured it was tire noise or a belt. Hopefully it goes away after break in as my '12 Advance only has 1K miles.
Do you recall what your issue was? Thanks in advance!!