I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
wow!!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
^I think Sly Raskal touched on this already:
The MP90 was engineered for midsized fuel injected engines, ranging in displacement from 3.0 to 5.7 liters. Although it may be tempting, to install the largest possible blower that will fit under your hood, Magnuson's engineers recommend selecting the smallest supercharger that will provide your desired boost level. Remember, proper supercharger sizing ensures that your car will achieve boost at the lowest possible RPM, thus maintaining the responsiveness and street-ability of your engine’s power band.
Easy, then "follow" the BMW way of using dual turbo units, one big and one small.

Spin up the small one for the lowest possible RPM, and spin up the big one for wide open throttle.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
lol, its cuz they cant figure out how to tune the cars.
so, they feed you marketing bs!

some of the acurazine members have tuned, supercharged and turbocharged their acura's and make a lot more reliable hp than comptech ever did.
listen to fatty! he's one of them, albeit all motor...
I'm not saying it can't be done. CT has just sold kits that are more on the conservative side because they do also work with Acura many times. Otherwise if people start installing kits and even if a small % of those people abuse the crap out of their car and something goes wrong, who do you think they will blame first, themselves or the kit? Comptech has always played it on the conservative, reliable but sporty side, that's just their focus.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:11 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Easy, then "follow" the BMW way of using dual turbo units, one big and one small.

Spin up the small one for the lowest possible RPM, and spin up the big one for wide open throttle.
Thought we were talking about "why Comptech chose to use the smaller blower rather than the larger one"???

Turbo is another story.....

Besides, the smaller N20 uses twin-scroll turbocharger, not twin-turbo. It's the N54 engine that is much larger that has the twin-turbo setup. And sequential turbo is nothing new.....
Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Which other automaker(s) use(s) the sequential turbo setup on it's production automobiles, before BMW does ?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^^^^^

Which other automaker(s) use(s) the sequential turbo setup on it's production automobiles, before BMW does ?
Many. Here are a few examples.

1993 Toyota Supra
1991 Toyota Aristo
1986 Porsche 959
1990 Eunos Cosmo
1992 Mazda RX-7 (FD)
1994 Subary Legacy GT
Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 AM
2G TLX-S

So why can't Comptech make use of this mature sequential turbo technology for significantly more hp, instead of using a small blower as an excuse of not able to crank out more hp.

Interesting.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Honda is uber conservative.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

So why can't Comptech make use of this mature sequential turbo technology for significantly more hp, instead of using a small blower as an excuse of not able to crank out more hp.

Interesting.
I think there are several reasons behind this.

1.) Comptech is more familiar with superchargers. Just go to their website. They have supercharger kits for most cars, but I don't see any turbo kits.

2.) Honda engines tend to have high compression ratio. The boost has to be kept fairly low. If the boost is low, you can't have "significant more hp."

3.) Driving experience. While sequential turbo setup in theory should have little lag, there's still lag. Superchargers on the other hand have no lag at all. Even for the best turbocharged cars out there like Audi's and BMW's, one can still feel that lag. It's not a lot, but it's there. We also have to consider other things such as torque steer if you have much higher hp.

4.) Space. I'm not so sure if there's enough space to fit two turbines, intercooler, and all that piping underneath the hood of the CR-Z.
The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
amasianasian (11-10-2014), Sly Raskal (11-08-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Driving

Honda has been accused of sitting on its engineering laurels of late. The Technology Day proved that it has been doing anything but twiddling its corporate thumbs. While everything shown/driven during the day was not exactly cast in stone it was fairly described as being concrete in the process of drying — everything was too far down the engineering pipeline to be an exercise.

The production RLX Hybrid and its Super Handling All-wheel-drive (SH-AWD) is, in a word, superb. It is blindingly quick and the credit goes to 2 important things. The 3.5-litre V6 engine is good for 310 horsepower and 272 pound-feet of torque. Then there’s the electric side. The 2 rear electric motors contribute 36 hp each, while the front motor adds another 47 hp to the pot. In the end, the RLX SH-AWD has a net system output of 377 hp and 377 lb-ft of torque. Even as employed in a large sedan the system has the wherewithal to blow away many sports cars.

The beauty of the system is the manner in which it delivered its ride-on-rails feel. The mechanical version of SH-AWD was good; the electric system is much more accomplished. It not only overspeeds the outside rear wheel in a corner, it applies a negative torque to the inside wheel, which delivers some regenerative braking to top up the 1.3 kilowatt/hour lithium-ion battery. This action reduced the amount of steering input and the need to dab the brake heading into a corner. Around the test track the turn-in proved to be as crisp as it was immediate.

Beyond its handling/performance capabilities the RLX Hybrid can drive on electricity alone and, because of its configuration, has on-demand all-wheel-drive. The 7-speed twin-clutch transmission added to the sense of overall refinement. The shifts, which can be initiated through paddle shifters, were quick and when Sport mode was selected it sharpened the throttle response and shift speed, delayed the upshifts and firmed the steering’s feel.

All of this bodes extremely well for the up-coming NSX. While the engineers were coy, some information did slide by their tight lips. To begin with, it will adopt much of the RLX SH-AWD’s technology — specifically the electric motors, battery and power electronics. The biggest changes are found in the gasoline side and layout. Where the RLX has its engine mounted up front with 2 of the 3 electric motors powering the rear wheels, the NSX will be exactly the opposite — 2 electric motors driving the front wheels, while a new engine and the 3rd electric motor power the rear wheels.

In this application, the gasoline power will come from a twin-turbocharged 3.5L V6. Honda did not mention output, so I will use some extended thinking. The Civic Type R’s 2.0L VTEC Turbocharged 4 produces 280 hp (see later), which gives it a power density of 140 hp/litre. Using this as a base, the 3.5L twin-turbo V6, which should enjoy a similar power density, could have as much as 490 hp. And this is before the 3 electric motors have contributed — and they are likely to have more juice, too.

The NSX will also earn an all-new twin-clutch transmission (no mention of the number of gears, but it, too, is expected to have more than the 7 in the RLX). Shoehorn all of this leading-edge technology into a lightweight chassis — it will likely be a blend of aluminum and carbon-fibre reinforced plastic — and you have the makings of a seriously raucous ride. It all served to whet my appetite.

The star of the day was, without question, the prototype Civic Type R. This, given Honda’s rather conservative approach, is radical by any standard. It starts with what’s under the hood — the aforementioned 2.0L, VTEC Turbo 4 and the 280 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque it generates. Fire the power through a 6-speed close-ratio manual and a sticky set of P235/35R19 tires and you have the makings of a monster.

Pulling out of the pits, I ran up through the 1st 3 gears and got ready to merge onto the high-speed oval — I was doing about 75 kilometres an hour. Standing on the gas saw the front wheels spin as the Type R blasted fourth and towards the first high-banked corner. From here it was around the 4-kilometre banked oval at the limited top speed of 200 km/h (the road-going car will be capped at 250 km/h). Now, all of this was done in normal mode.

A button on the dash engages the R mode. This firms the steering and adjustable suspension, sharpens the throttle and puts the vehicle stability management system into its track mode. It, according to the engineer riding shotgun, allows the driver to have more “fun.” At the time of writing, the final Type R’s specifications were yet to be firmed up. For example, will the brake system use Honda’s own design, or the four-piston front Brembos on the test car? Regardless, this is a car that will be built and sold. It MUST come to Canada. Ford Focus ST? VW Golf GTI? The Civic Type R will show both a clean set of wheels.

There were 2 other equally compelling versions of the VTEC Turbo to test. The 1st was a 1.5L four that made 201 hp and 192 lb-ft of torque. It, in the Civic mule, proved to be a truly workable engine. It had great low-end punch and it was very strong through the mid-range — turbocharged torque always has this effect. As a replacement for the current naturally-aspirated 2.0L engine used in any application it will work like a charm, providing more power and better fuel economy. You can’t ask for much more.

The other VTEC Turbo was a 1.0L 3-cylinder. In spite of its diminutive displacement it still pushed 127 hp and 147 lb-ft of torque, which was enough to whisk the Civic test mule to 160 km/h with surprising ease. Even when married to a CVT (and I am not a fan of the continuously annoying gearbox), it worked perfectly. Well enough, in fact, to maybe get me over my CVT aversion.

The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (11-20-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Can they not put in a bigger blower and lower the compression ratio to crank up the engine output ?
You wouldnt have to lower the compression on the motor even with the larger blower. The motor will handle it. You just need a way to tune it.

Originally Posted by justnspace
lol, its cuz they cant figure out how to tune the cars.
so, they feed you marketing bs!

some of the acurazine members have tuned, supercharged and turbocharged their acura's and make a lot more reliable hp than comptech ever did.
listen to fatty! he's one of them, albeit all motor...
The 2nd gens still cant be tuned. We have to run a standalone or convert the wiring and everything else thats needed to run a 07-08 TL ecu. Tuning is and always has been the issue.

Interesting.
Because they have no way to tune the car.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

If Comptech, the industry expert in tuning force-induction Honda engines, has no way to tune turbo Honda's, then we are all out of luck looking forward to aftermarket force-induction kits for our naturally-aspirated Honda/Acura vehicles.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^

If Comptech, the industry expert in tuning force-induction Honda engines, has no way to tune turbo Honda's, then we are all out of luck looking forward to aftermarket force-induction kits for our naturally-aspirated Honda/Acura vehicles.
Its not that they dont know how. Its the ECUs that Acura has been using that simply cant be tuned (or tuned easily). All 2nd gens had a prom that was a 1 time write. Meaning it cant be reflashed. The 3rd gen could BUT it wasnt a canbus system and the reflash/program speed is very slow and if power gets interrupted at all during the long reflash you are up a creek without a paddle. In 07-08 they adopted canbus on the TL which made tuning a real option. The other BIG problem is finding a company willing to invest the R&D to make a tuner to tune the car, especially with the complexity of the ECU and the small amount of people actually willing to buy the system. Hondata Finally stepped up to the plate after all these years for the 3rd gen Will they ever do something for the 4th and beyond?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:23 AM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

You know, a long time back before OBD-1 was invented, the Honda/Acura ECU's all have 1-time-programming PROM's directly soldered onto the printed circuit boards.

Flash PROM was still a R&D project, and rewritable PROM had a small round glass window on top of the chip. UV light was used to shine through that glass window in order to erase the PROM. Programmed PROM must had a silver sticker to cover up the glass window.

So, when I "chipped" my 2G Integra back then, the shop tech desoldered the OEM PROM and solder in a chip socket for easy switching of OEM and aftermarket performance PROM's.

I think tuners nowadays can do the same and install chip socket in the ECU motherboard to defeat the non-on-board-flashing problem. All they need is to flash their revised program codes into flash memory chips outside the Honda/Acura system. Then simply unplug the OEM PROM and plug in the newly flashed memory chip.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Acura version of the Honda HR-V...?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=72
Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
The new HR-V will be in showrooms this winter, as a 2015 model, and will be fitted exclusively with a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine shared with the 2015 Fit. That’s not all the two cars will share, as both ride on the same front-wheel-drive platform.
Let me guess, Acura's version will have a 1.8L making 143HP.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Haha, that reminds me of my 1995 Integra. That's just ass-backwards. Makes me realize how pathetic the 2.0L 150 hp 4-cyl is, considering that's 20 years newer.

But you know, Acura knows better, they're aiming for better fuel economy with CAFE and all that. Value, side view mirror aerodynamics, ground clearance, etc.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
You forget the Type S version.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^

You know, a long time back before OBD-1 was invented, the Honda/Acura ECU's all have 1-time-programming PROM's directly soldered onto the printed circuit boards.

Flash PROM was still a R&D project, and rewritable PROM had a small round glass window on top of the chip. UV light was used to shine through that glass window in order to erase the PROM. Programmed PROM must had a silver sticker to cover up the glass window.

So, when I "chipped" my 2G Integra back then, the shop tech desoldered the OEM PROM and solder in a chip socket for easy switching of OEM and aftermarket performance PROM's.

I think tuners nowadays can do the same and install chip socket in the ECU motherboard to defeat the non-on-board-flashing problem. All they need is to flash their revised program codes into flash memory chips outside the Honda/Acura system. Then simply unplug the OEM PROM and plug in the newly flashed memory chip.
That was tried without success.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:52 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
No NSX pre-production test sightings...

Delayed RLX eSH-AWD...

No word on upgraded power train for woefully underpowered and underwhelming ILX...

No sporty coupe or convertible (that we know of) in the pipeline...

Old 08-04-2014, 05:47 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoNews

Acura expects its improved, next-generation all-wheel-drive technologies in 2 upcoming sedans to help make up lost ground from a delayed product launch as the brand chases a full-year U.S. sales increase, Mike Accavitti, the luxury brand's general manager, said.

The brand is seeking to recover from a delayed launch of the Acura TLX.

Through July, Acura sales slipped 2% to 90,431 vehicles. That knocked it off pace to beat the 165,436 vehicles it sold in 2013, which marked a 6% gain over 2012, amid an overall market up 8%.

A re-engineered Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system, or SH-AWD, will be offered as an option on the mid-sized TLX sedan that hits dealerships in August. And a Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system will debut in a hybrid version of the flagship RLX sedan later in the year.

The new SH-AWD for the TLX is more compact, lighter and more responsive than the prior generation of the technology, Accavitti said. Key improvements include:
* A smaller profile eliminates the cars' center hump.

* Lower weight boosts fuel economy.

* Re-engineered actuators reduce drag and enhance dynamics.
Honda Motor Co.'s premium brand expects the improvements to pull in new customers and help offset double-digit U.S. sales declines in June and July caused by the delayed launch of the new TLX, Accavitti said.

"Our June sales and our July sales are below our plan," Accavitti said, declining to give a specific full-year sales target. "We hope to make that up through the rest of the year."

Acura spokesman Atsushi Ohara said the TLX was delayed to ensure the performance of its new electronics and drivetrain hardware, including new engines.

Acura sees SH-AWD, which provides better grip and sharper handling, as a signature technology setting its front-wheel-drive vehicles apart in a field dominated by German rear-wheel-drive rivals. The TLX is the 1st vehicle getting the new version; the MDX crossover uses the previous generation technology.

The Sport Hybrid SH-AWD, which teams 2 electric motors to deliver more control and horsepower, will be a cornerstone technology in the RLX and NSX sports car due next year.

"This is something we think we can wrap our brand around. And we're taking a look right now and analyzing how we can do that and communicate it," Accavitti said. "It's a space that we own. And it offers the customer a distinct benefit."

Engineers trimmed 8% off the height of the latest SH-AWD system, thereby eliminating the center hump, and achieved a 2% reduction in drag, Acura says. They also delivered a 25% weight reduction, partly by eliminating the planetary gear, using a single-motor design and integrating the lubrication pump into the main assembly.

"It's really improved in every way," Accavitti said. "We were able to remove the hump out of the floor. That's a really important thing for our customers. It's a competitive advantage."

Acura pairs SH-AWD with its Precision All-Wheel Steer system, standard-issue on 2-wheel-drive TLX and RLX models, to deliver what executives say is superior maneuverability.

The all-wheel steering system angles rear wheels independently of each other.

Both technologies provide a responsive feel distinct from both standard fwd and rwd vehicles, Accavitti said. "It's a very unique experience," he said. "We think that some consumers are going to prefer it to a rear-wheel-drive offering."

Acura may use SH-AWD on other nameplates down the road, but cost is an issue. Acura dropped SH-AWD as an option for its RDX crossover and now equips that vehicle with the more pedestrian awd system used in the Honda CR-V.

Accavitti said expanding SH-AWD's use "is certainly something that we would want to look at."
Old 08-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
they still don't get it.

The people who can help Acura probably don't even know which wheels drive their car.
kurtatx (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
they still don't get it.

The people who can help Acura probably don't even know which wheels drive their car.
If they cared at all for those people, they would have abandoned the beak six years ago.
ttribe (08-04-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoNews

In the auto design world, there are the suave, black-turtleneck types and there are guys like Dave Marek, a chatty hot-rodder who'd rather skip a fancy dinner than get dressed up for it.

The 57-year-old global creative director of Acura is 1 of the key decision-makers in the new Acura Business Planning Office, a task force charged with reinvigorating Honda's luxury brand and cementing its identity. If Marek gets his way, that identity will be defined not by floaty sedans, but rather by performance models such as the coming NSX supercar.

"The brand started that way, and needs to retain its roots in a performance-based image," said Marek, whose tenure at American Honda began in 1986, around the time Acura was born.

In addition to Acura's production vehicles, Marek oversees designs for Acura's motorsports program, such as vehicle graphics and paint schemes and styling of prototype vehicles.

During afternoon competition at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion at the Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca near here, he spoke with News Editor Krishnan Anantharaman, though his eyes tended to wander toward the zoom of the cars on the track.

Q: What kinds of cars get your attention?

A: Non-ours, you mean? Any Porsche race car I'm just fanatical about. Road cars -- it's gonna be what everybody likes. Exotic cars always get everybody, I think.

I have a lot of friends in the design business because of my longevity, and I teach at Art Center, so I know every student that has come through. So whenever I see a car they did I have some pride in that, that I knew that I helped teach them.

I've always been a 911 guy. The progression of that car from inception -- you know, I had a '67, so I had the first year -- and then you see what they've become. I've always admired that.

I like the Tesla. I like the feel of it. It feels modern but normal enough to get people to buy it.

That's a great hat. What do you look for in a hat?

I am a hat guy. The New Jersey hat is always good. Honest to God, It's like a car. I literally will buy hats and I wear them backwards because of the rake. I can't have them be the wrong attitude on your head. So I'll turn them around.

How many watches? How many pairs of glasses?

I have a Swatch collection. I probably have 300 Swatches and other watches. A hundred pairs of glasses. And I go through them. Glasses, more than anything, are like cars, because other than Ray-Bans or something classic, I'll pick them up and go, "Dude, those look old now." I'll just eliminate those, and they just kind of sit there because I can't bear to part with them. But then I started giving them to Out of the Closet or Goodwill because people need glasses. Why am I hoarding these?

I've painted some. I've taken them apart and painted them and put them back together. It's more for the individuality, something unique about them. No one else has these. "Where'd you get those? I painted them."

You've had some interesting celebrity encounters. Which ones stand out?

I was standing with Brad Pitt. He goes to this restaurant in Hollywood called Mexico City. And there's a big line for the bathroom. I think it was Cinco de Mayo. He's standing there, right behind me. And I can feel him being edgy, like he really had to go, and he's kind of bumping a little. I turn around and I go, "Just 'cause you're famous, you ain't cutting in front of me." He started laughing and said, "That's OK." But then we kind of had a conversation.

It's fun to just encounter them because you never know what their personality is going to be -- or mine. I'm not very vocal about what my profession is. And most of them, when they get down into it ... they're like, "Wow, that's so cool!" Because, you know, rock stars want to own cars, and car guys want to be rock stars. Through cars, I've met everybody.

What's your office like?

When you walk in, there's a full-size model, a full-size model, a full-size model and they're all lined up, and you can view them all [in a row] ... which is perfect for me because I want to see what the hierarchy is and what's happening at the time.

And everybody seems to work around the models. We all have desks, but everybody is on the floor, and they all work down by the car. We're Friday-casual all the time. We're actually Saturday-casual all the time.

What's in your garage?

Uh, a bunch of old refrigerators? No. I don't own a car right now. It's amazing. You get to a point where you're like, it's going to be that or that. I'm gonna get maybe an old [Porsche] 550 or I'm going to get a '55 Chevy or a '32 Ford. Daily it changes with my mood.

The car I want is unattainable: a [Porsche] 917/30. That's the car I just go ape over.

Dave Marek
• Title: Global creative director, Acura

• Born: Sacramento, Calif.

• Attended: Art Center Academy, Pasadena, Calif.

• Hired: 1986

• Interests: Auto racing, hot-rodding, collecting watches and eyeglasses

• Drives: Acura MDX
Old 08-26-2014, 01:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'm much more be interested in his thoughts on Acura's current lineup.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:00 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Sure doesn't sound like he is enthusiastic about how his brand is doing!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

What's in your garage?

Uh, a bunch of old refrigerators? No. I don't own a car right now. It's amazing. You get to a point where you're like, it's going to be that or that. I'm gonna get maybe an old [Porsche] 550 or I'm going to get a '55 Chevy or a '32 Ford. Daily it changes with my mood.
And he is in charge???
Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
What's in your garage?

Uh, a bunch of old refrigerators?
Yeah, that pretty much sums up the current offerings from Acura - about as exciting as appliances.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I'm much more be interested in his thoughts on Acura's current lineup.
Agreed. They interviewed him. This has as much to do about Acura as the price of tea in China.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I'm going to assume this isn't real

A New Acura Integra? “Just Wait,” We’re Told
Old 11-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

Wink Lln

Our spy photographers have just sent us the 1st images of what could eventually become an Acura-badged luxury minivan.

You read that right -- if these spy shots are to be believed, Acura has begun work on an up-scale version of the Honda Odyssey minivan. The prototype in question is clearly wearing Acura's signature shield grill and jewel headlights to go along with its sliding side doors and large rear hatch.

The prototype also appears to have plenty of Acura DNA inside as its cabin is very similar in design to the MDX crossover. Look closely and you'll even see what appears to be an Acura 'A' on the center of the steering wheel.

According to our sources, Acura will differentiate its minivan from the Odyssey by including standard all-wheel drive and a 9-speed automatic transmission. Power will be provided by a V6, while a hybrid option is a possibility. The interior of the Acura minivan will also be more luxurious than its Honda counterpart with a greater emphasis on 2nd-row comfort.

The idea of a luxury minivan might seem a little absurd at 1st blush, but the notion could have legs. Top-end minivans currently list for around $50,000, so the market isn't totally adverse to spending big money on well-equipped people haulers. An Acura badge would also provide a little more exclusivity to the mass-market minivan segment.

The Mercedes-Benz R-Class comes to mind as a recently failure in the luxury MPV segment, but that vehicle was more crossover than true minivan. With its sliding doors and Odyssey underpinning, the Acura minivan would undoubtedly be positioned as a premium van.

If the Acura minivan actually does come to fruition, expect to see it by the 2016 or 2017 model year.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

WTFBBQ @ minivan. Thread for it here: https://acurazine.com/forums/automot...n-news-921072/
Old 11-11-2014, 02:57 AM
2G TLX-S

Same dash board and dual-screen layout as in the latest RLX/MDX/TLX.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

nothing makes your flagship buyers happier knowing your $65k RLX have the same interior as a Minivan.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 AM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Maybe it's no ordinary minivan.

This Acura minivan could have the tri-motor hybrid AWD system, twin-turbo V6 powerplant, and active magnetic suspension.

Acura has a flagship sedan, a flagship SUV, a (coming soon) flagship supercar.

So why not a flagship minivan, too.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^

This Acura minivan could have the tri-motor hybrid AWD system, twin-turbo V6 powerplant, and active magnetic suspension.

It also makes no sense to have a 65k+ minivan that will sell in relatively low numbers (if this were actually a acura mini van i see this selling less than the RL) If it were any cheaper it would be stepping on the toes of the Odyssey
Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

^^^^^

Because it is a minivan...
Old 11-12-2014, 12:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Supposedly this is a test mule for the FMC Odyssey with some Acura parts slapped on it just to confuse people hahahaha.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

The test mule is more than just with some Acura parts slapped on.

This test mule is using the complete Acura signature RLX/MDX/TLX dashboard interior layout, and not the regular Honda interior layout.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

When Honda was showing the VTEC Turbo stuff, they put that into an ILX body. Also when Honda was showing the sport hybrid SH-AWD system, the test mule was an Accord.

Another example is the RWD test mule, which had a 2G TSX body. Then there was the previous FR V10 test mule, which at one point had a S2000 body and was seen testing at Nurburgring.

That's not to say that this test mule is for sure not an Acura minivan. It very well could be.

If the next Odyssey is based on the same platform as the MDX, then that probably explains the Acura interior layout.

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News