My cracked dashboard ordeal...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
There is a group on Facebook about this situation. Eventually a few of us will like to go to Acura Corporate about all of this because apparently they aren't acknowledging that this is happening. If anybody is on Facebook, you should check it out and join it. The more the better!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Newbie.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
^Lucky bastard! I had to pay $550

My headlights get pretty foggy and nasty on the outside as well. I plan on having mine professionally cleaned by "Dr. Headlight". My girlfriend has had her headlights done on her Civic before and he's awesome. He comes to your house and does it in the driveway...$80 for both lights and a 5-year warranty

I raised hell to Acura customer care about my so called "$32000 luxury sports car" With a 1 1/2 foot long crack in my dash and condensating headlights and made them feel bad about selling a defective product and it landed me a brand new pair of headlights w/bulbs and dash having to pay only labor off $700 but its a lot better than the original quote of $3600 IMOP!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 PM

See that's what I told the guy at my Acura dealership. My moms 1997 Dodge Intrepid that always sits outside doesn't have a cracking dash. There is no reason why that my TL that has ALWAYS been garage kept should have this problem.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Newbie.

Rolan,

I apologize for the confusion. I do believe you are right about there only being one panel for the dash. I just said "every panel" just incase there were multiple pieces that needed replacing.

Because of this whole incident I'm not too happy with Acura, but I can't afford to get rid of the car, plus which I'm not sure if it's worth getting rid of now since I paid for it to get fixed. I've considered a few times writing a letter to corporate including pictures and links to the threads on here discussing the topic to see if they would reimburse me for the fix, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Be sure when you get it back to check all of the lights and such. The buttons to the left of my steering wheel that control the dash brightness aren't lit up anymore; the bulb must have not been plugged in properly. I would take it back, but I'm fearing they will charge me. I could do it myself as well, but I'm just lazy and it isn't that big of a deal

Good luck!

Dude I thought i had problems, after i got mine back i noticed my Cruise Control didnt work! The light turns on in the dash but it doesnt take control. I been planning on bringing it back but I havent got around to it.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM

^Damn dude you really need to get that checked out!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by west4961
Happened to my 2004 TL this morning. Foot long crack on the right of the air bag area and small crack at the center front speaker. Reading the thread I'll expect a larger problem. Who needs to hear more of these problems and how to get this fixed quickly? Thanks....
Acura took care of my cracked dash problem. Worked out well. Just a few markings from installation appearing. Will check with them next week.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Traveling the country

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by west4961
Acura took care of my cracked dash problem. Worked out well. Just a few markings from installation appearing. Will check with them next week.

Thats great, I fought tooth and nail for a while. I ended up selling the car because they would not cover it, had to take a decent loss to get it sold.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:02 AM
#truuuuu

mines is starting to crack as well. i also have third party insurance (non-acura) on my car. will this cover it?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:04 AM

^I wouldn't think so, but don't quote me on that. Usually those type of warranties cover the big stuff breaking (A/C, transmission, etc...)

It wouldn't hurt to call and ask them though
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, you can add me to the list of '04 TL owners with this problem. :-( Mine is one long crack that starts above the instrument cluster, goes back to the seam between the dimpled vinyl and the leather-finish vinyl, then over to the right and up to the center speaker. This is really sad. I have had the car for less than a month. As soon as I bought her I started noticing dash issues here on AZ, so I went out and bought some 303 and treated it twice so this wouldn't happen to me. The crack appeared overnight- was in complete disbelief.
Is there ANY chance of getting Acura to cover this if I bought it from a used car place as-is? I figure not, but it's worth hoping for. I also don't have an Acura dealer in town- nearest one is about an hour away. I think I found a place online that sells a new dash shipped for about $200. (link) Does that sound right? Can this be done fairly easily if I devote a saturday to it? I've taken most of the lower dash apart already to unjam the CD changer that didn't work when I bought it, so I assume I can handle the labor.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:03 PM

^Ouch man I'm sorry to hear

I'm not sure what the whole install process entails, but it took the dealership local to me all day. You may want to take the time to go out to that dealership and see what they say about it. Parts were $1500 for me, labor was $500, and I paid $550 to have it done.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok, the link I posted last night is not for the actual part of the dash we have cracking. The part number I needed appears to be 77120-SEP-A01ZA (link)

This part is $600, not $200. Guess I'll try talking to a dealer and see what they can do.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Good luck man! I'm hoping your dealership handles the situation better than mine did.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
5th Gear

mine just cracked. i have one of thos acura's with all the problems. i'm taking them one at a time. i'm a college student with an 04 tl. so i have no warranty and life is becoming a bi*** with this car.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tjmomoh1186
mine just cracked. i have one of thos acura's with all the problems. i'm taking them one at a time. i'm a college student with an 04 tl. so i have no warranty and life is becoming a bi*** with this car.
dude, I feel you. I have the same feeling, although I fixed the Dash and I am trying to enjoy my car as it is, there is no question in my mind the 3rd gen TL has crazy beautiful lines IMHO. Anyways, join the facebook group, and sign-in in the discussion (not to be confused with the wall) if you can. we trying to get our forces together.

I truely believe its an issue all 04-05 (and maybe later years) will suffer from sooner or later because its a design flaw. The more people in the group, the better. I believe eventually Acura is going to have to do something about it as cracks keep showing up.

If you have any questions let us know. Bunch of people in AZ are always willing to lend you a hand. =)

peace,

Rolan
Old 09-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

I just noticed that my dashboard cracked this morning too- I just talked to my local Acura dealer (Ferman Acura, Tampa FL) and they said "they'll see what they can do to cover some of the cost".... Is there anything I should do to get them to cover all of it, maybe call Acura's "headquarters" or something? Seems kind of irresponsible on their part...
Old 09-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Traveling the country

Good luck, I tried several dealers and they non of them would help me. I ended up selling me car and taking a pretty big hit on it due to the dash being so cracked. It only gets worse and it does so pretty fast once the first one appears.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by lms05Aspec
I just noticed that my dashboard cracked this morning too- I just talked to my local Acura dealer (Ferman Acura, Tampa FL) and they said "they'll see what they can do to cover some of the cost".... Is there anything I should do to get them to cover all of it, maybe call Acura's "headquarters" or something? Seems kind of irresponsible on their part...
Ouch man that sucks, I'm sorry to hear.

Tell them that you want to file a claim with Acura Corporate. They will contact them for you, show them pictures, and negotiate how much each party will pay. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

Question on the cracked dash

I have a 2005 TL with 73M miles. The car has been babied and well taken care of . Just noticed one day that I have a huge crack in the dash. Called the dealer, not covered because the car is no longer under warranty. Tech said he knew exactly what I was talking about and that Acura has improved on the faulty materials in the 2007, 08, 09, etc models. Just wanted to know if your car was under any warranty when you had the problem. I don't want to pay for a repair but the resale value on the car just plummeted. The tech said it was still a good car. Wonder what they will give me for a trade in. Kind of turned off on Acura right now. Good car that looks like crap. Quoted price for repair was 1800. Sounds about right according to everything I have read. I will be calling corporate but if there are dealers out there doing good will or reduced repairs, it would be good to know.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:01 AM
10th Gear

My car is @ Acura as we speak. I wanted to contribute my info to this ever growing issue.

When I took my car in, it was the same story as everyone ... they have to go to a district guy to get an idea of goodwill %. My car was absolutely in the worst possible position. I bought it used (ding 1), not certified (ding 2), never serviced it at the dealer prior to this issue (ding 3), never owned an acura before (ding 4), etc etc. They initially goodwilled it at 50%, leaving me with a $700 balance.

I typed out and hand signed a letter then FAXED it to Acura. My letter spoke of the common sense everyone has that says "this shouldn't happen" and I also admitted that I knew they didn't HAVE to do anything further for me. I did point out my parents own 2 Acuras right now to see if that would help.

Got a call from Anthony at corp, who was nothing short of INCREDIBLE. He empathized, and called the dealer on my behalf. A few days went by and I got a call that he got that $700 knocked down to $350. Sure, not ideal by any stretch - I also feel I should have to pay NOTHING - but a hell of a lot better than ~$1500.

The only thing I can say is that Anthony said he really liked my letter. I think that, combined with the fact that I faxed it versus calling, helped a lot. It forces me to put on paper something that isn't filled with rage and expletives and it forces them to read the entire thing without interrupting.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by big_ham
Got a call from Anthony at corp, who was nothing short of INCREDIBLE. ...
If you have contact info for Anthony, please post it for all the folks with dashboard problems...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
If you have contact info for Anthony, please post it for all the folks with dashboard problems...
I will when I get home. I think I still have his number around.

Regardless, the magic sauce to me seemed to be 1. nicely written letter 2. fax machine 3. something for the agent to work with (CPO, long term dealer relationship, other Acuras)

By "nicely written letter", I just used the cop routine.

Whenever I get pulled over by a cop, I tell him the truth. Sometimes he finds it so refreshing, he just lets you go.

He knows a lie and a liar and will offer neither any sympathy. He hears lies all day like "I didn't know how fast I was going, really".

When you tell him ... "oh yeah, I was trying to get home for Myth Busters, I'm sure I was speeding", he may 1. like Myth Busters or 2. appreciate your candor.

To Whom It May Concern:

When I purchased my 2005 Acura TL two-or-so years ago, I thought I had purchased one of the safer bets on the used car market. My parents own a 2005 MDX and a 2004 TL, both of which have been not only problem free, but even defect free. Having owned a VW Jetta (among others), I know some brands are more likely to have you exercise factory warranties than others.

My TL had about 70000 miles on it when I purchased it. Fast forward 2 years and 20000 miles and I have a serious problem that, really, shouldn't exist at this point in any car's ownership.

I have two enormous and a third smaller crack in my dashboard (the two large ones kind of wrap around the passenger air bag). This basically makes the car un-sellable. Since I cannot speak to the car's former owner's care of the vehicle, I need to provide other evidence that this is simply not possible after 5 years of ownership

I had a 1998 Nissan Maxima that I purchased brand new at the end of the 1998 model year. The car was a stripped down model with cloth seats and only a sunroof as an option. It was a killer deal at only $22,000. I drove that car until it had 125000 miles on it. The interior of the car was absolutely flawless right up until the day I sold it. That car spent nearly its entire life outside. 5 years in the northeast climate and more than 2 years of the heat and humidity of Florida. Not once did any piece of the interior exhibit any wear at all, never mind a cracked dashboard.

For a 5 year old luxury car to have a cracked dash is frightening, until you do research. Then you find a Facebook group dedicated to your particular problem. Then you search forums and find other people also having the problem. Now you're confused. Some people are getting full replacements for free while others are given a 50% discount. Sometimes it seems to be the dealership that's just good at taking responsibility, other times it's because the person is the original owner with relatively low mileage. After completing some research, it’s easy to turn from confused to pain old angry.

When I visited my dealership in Tampa, Ferman Acura, the regional manager was tapped and given a bunch of statistics for my car as far as how many miles and how many owners. They came back and told me that I would be responsible for half of the cost, to the tune of about $700. When I asked to speak to the regional manager, I was told he could give him a message but that "he won't call you".

So here I am with a car that I hate to look at, but can't sell, unless I want to put $700 into for a problem that, by any logical account, is a defect. The wholesale cost to replace the dash is probably right around $700 including real per hour labor rates, and for this measly $700, Acura could have had a stellar reputation with me for years to come. Instead I was met with pessimism, lackluster attitudes and a $700 problem.

Can someone with some sympathy please contact me to see if we can come to a more reasonable resolution to this issue? I'm saddened that I need to reach out to a fax machine for help, but it is my last effort before I'm forced to give up all hope.

Thank you for taking the time to read my complaint.

Sincerely,

Last edited by big_ham; 12-14-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
10th Gear

Anthony: 800-382-2238 x115092
Old 12-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia070
I have a 2005 TL with 73M miles. The car has been babied and well taken care of . Just noticed one day that I have a huge crack in the dash. Called the dealer, not covered because the car is no longer under warranty. Tech said he knew exactly what I was talking about and that Acura has improved on the faulty materials in the 2007, 08, 09, etc models. Just wanted to know if your car was under any warranty when you had the problem. I don't want to pay for a repair but the resale value on the car just plummeted. The tech said it was still a good car. Wonder what they will give me for a trade in. Kind of turned off on Acura right now. Good car that looks like crap. Quoted price for repair was 1800. Sounds about right according to everything I have read. I will be calling corporate but if there are dealers out there doing good will or reduced repairs, it would be good to know.
Patricia I apologize for just now getting back to you, I never realized you posted in this thread. My car was NOT under any warranty through Acura nor did I purchase my TL through an Acura dealership.

big_ham I'm glad your dashboard was properly fixed! I'm glad you had someone so helpful and polite through the process. That's awesome
Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 AM
10th Gear

Patricia I apologize for just now getting back to you, I never realized you posted in this thread. My car was NOT under any warranty through Acura nor did I purchase my TL through an Acura dealership.

big_ham I'm glad your dashboard was properly fixed! I'm glad you had someone so helpful and polite through the process. That's awesome
Actually, I got my car back last night after they did tires, power steering recall and got rid of a check engine light. The dashboard is on backorder ... anyone surprised?

They have ordered a dash for me and expect it in shortly after Christmas, so I will make one more trip over to get it done then.

I was very happy with the work performed and did not feel at ALL that I was ripped off. I told them about my CEL and they wound up finding a hose disconnected which they reconnected, and then test drove with no issues. Total cost for that repair: $55. They could have easily given me the run around with diag fees, mysterious unnecessary parts, etc.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 AM

^Sounds like you have an awesome dealership working with you. Sadly I can't say I'm impressed with my local dealership. Every time I go there I get frustrated and feel taken advantage of.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Instructor

my dash, & @ least 4 of my friends in new orleans, is exactly the same. they wont cover anything for us though. acura needs to have a recall for this problem! i even used to be a tech @ both acura dealers in louisiana. after talking with the district rep. for this region, he told me he would give me the dash at dealer cost. however, i have to pay labor. even if i did the job myself, the dash would still be around $1300. just gonna live with it for now & wait to find one @ the junkyard that i can snatch for about $100 bucks.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Ouch Dave that sucks man. Acura really screwed us on this problem and I'm not happy about it to say the least.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
#truuuuu

about to get my car sent in to Acura to get it fixed! i'll post up before and after pictures. i have a 2004, and 91xxx miles and out of warranty and they're charging me 398 + tax. they asked me for my vin#, history of cars that i owned (hondas and acuras only) and called me back a few hours later and told me the price. can't beat that. dash has been getting worst over the years, and now finally getting it fixed for a reasonable price.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Damn you're paying $150 less than I did! Take that deal and run!

Granted you shouldn't have to pay shit for it, but it's better than nothing.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the new dashboards are redesigned or modified in any way to avoid cracking again? It'd be terrible to be able to drive only another 70k until the dash cracks again and you're denied goodwill.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Supposedly Acura changed something with the 07-08 dashes but my new one sure does look the same as my old one. Knowing my luck this one will crack as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Aman
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the new dashboards are redesigned or modified in any way to avoid cracking again? It'd be terrible to be able to drive only another 70k until the dash cracks again and you're denied goodwill.
Dash is STILL on backorder @ my dealership. When asked if they could source from another dealer, he says corp will do that on their own. This means all the dashes nationwide are on backorder?

Parts dept says they were having issues with 2 vendors so far ... something about bubbling from one manufacturer, and another didn't fit right around the vents and speaker grill, etc.

I REALLY want to sell this car and I drive 70 miles/day going to and from work ... the longer I keep it, the harder it will be to sell. Latest estimated ship day for the dash is Feb 15 ... we shall see.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Damn they are taking forever to get your dash. Maybe they are running low on stock because more TLs are having the same issue. Effing Acura
Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation I have the same problem

I have the same problem. I highly doubt it is from the sun. I bought mine in orlando also, and never used anything but non greasy & sun protective products on my car, and also had 35% tint on the front windshield and 15% around the rest of the car. I just recently moved to New Jersey and with in the last 2 months it has gotten cracked up. It only has a 1.5 inch drop. So I was debateing if it was the pot wholes, but in 2002 I had an 02' accord with a 4 inch drop ALL OVER NYC and never cracked anything.
anyways my question to you is, Acura covered that certain amount because of warrenty you were still under or what, because I need to get the same shit done. It's annoying!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
what kind of camera took this picture? looks nice.

Originally Posted by bimmerman
Yea mine was getting worse by the day and it drove me crazy. My new ride.

This was a couple days after I bought it, I did a few mods before these pics but have done quiet a few more since. Got it for $4500 as it sits minus the boost gauge.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
Regarding Geographical Location.. (state) and Cracking or not cracking...

I'm wondering if the Manufacturing plant is a better indicator of whether or not a dash board will crack or not.

Secondly, if you look deeper into the issue.. it may be a specific supplier to Acura, that is causing the defect in the dashboards.. Meaning, does Acura build ALL their dashboards? Or do they have a separate supplier!! YEP! And if they have a separate supplier, do they have more than 1? Maybe all the bad dashboards are coming from 1 supplier which sends material to 1 or 2 Honda Plants! What about that?!

I watched 60 minutes about 6 months ago, and they did a gig on McDonalds and the delivery of their 1/4 pound hamburger to 1,000's of stores.. Well, guess what.. Mickey D's has multiple vendors that produce ALL their 1/4 pound hamburgers. And they all follow a specific guideline to produce a "quality product". And they all undergo a rigorous taste test to see if they pass. If they don't get the recipe right... and if it tastes wrong... they are rejected..

So what if Honda is the same way.. What if Honda has a multivendor inventory at various locations that are "suppose to" have the same specs... but what if one screwed up?! What if that one vendor supplied material to only 1 or 2 Honda plants? Then we can see a correlation!

In Domestic cars, VIN numbers tells where the car was manufactured.

So, maybe, just MAYBE, all the cracking dashboards are coming from the same vendor..

I live in Dallas.. and I use lubricant on it since day 1.. But I got the car from a person that leased it in in New York.. So... who knows if the state correlation is right? It may be the MFG plant..

Last edited by Chad05TL; 02-11-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 PM

That's actually a very good hypothesis. Hehe I feel smart saying that

Something to consider for sure.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
x2 you're probably right. If what big_ham said is correct, Acura has more than one vendor for this dash. What I don't understand is why they're dragging their feet taking care of this if it's the fault of a third party. Acura Corp should be just as angry as their customers.

Now it's just a matter of finding out which vendors make the dashes, and which vendor supplies the defective ones.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:47 AM
7th Gear

Mine is cracked too!

Quick Reply: My cracked dashboard ordeal...