OEM battery 100 month warranty?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OEM battery 100 month warranty?

My battery just died this afternoon, the original battery at 62k miles. On the label it says 100 month limited warranty, is Acura going to replace it? Its a 2008 TSX and its probably around the 50 month mark now or so, doesn't make sense to me. I don't wanna spend the money if its covered. Any tips?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
go to your dealer or call them. OEM batteries... if your car is still under warranty and you have a warm and fuzzy relationship with your dealer they may give you a new one no charge. OR they prorate it.

on my 3rd in 6+ yrs on my TL. the 2nd one covered under warranty. the current one...i said the hell with OEM and went aftermarket.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
The OE TSX battery has been an issue over the years. It's pretty small and it seems that many people have had problems with it (I'm not on of them). I have an 05 and an 07 and have had good service in both cars. That said, I think Acura has added extra warranty to the battery. If it's not in the owner's manual or warranty guide (which are always a good place to start when faced with questions like the one you pose here), a call to your Acura dealer should allow you to answer the warranty question.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:21 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I think it is crazy to make a 100 month battery. Most of these OEM batteries have failed between 36 to 60 months (mine failed at 60 months). I would check with the dealership to see if they can provide a replacement free of charge or prorated. If not, there are lots of excellent aftermarket choices for about $90-$120. I went with the Interstate MegaTron 51-R 75 month battery for about $100.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:01 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
the original battery is under warranty for 4yrs/unlimited mileage. The OEM battery was replaced by the dealer free when my car was 3+years and 90,000+miles. They said it tested low even tho I was not having any problems with it. It is now 2+years later-still going good on 2nd battery (knock on wood)
Old 01-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have contacted Boardwalk Acura in NJ 3 times today, twice by email and have heard nothing. It seems like all their phone lines are messed up to because the automated menu selection doesn't go to the respective department. For those who don't live in NJ, this Acura dealership is part of the same ownership group for Honda and BMW of Atlantic City. I don't recommend this place at all.

So when I call, I get "press 2 for Acura" and it ends up going to BMW...its ridiculous. The service here has always sucked too, everytime I've needed something done, it's unprofessional. The people aren't in sync with each other and basic logistics are often screwed up.

I just looked at the MyAcura warranty info and I'm eligible for 60% back if I read it correctly. I just want to know if I can give them my battery in exchange for a new one and I'll obviously pay the difference. It's not like I can drive the car down there so that's the only logical way unless they refuse because they want to charge me for labor and installation.

I just want to know if I can do this before I go out wasting money.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilsJim89
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have contacted Boardwalk Acura in NJ 3 times today, twice by email and have heard nothing. It seems like all their phone lines are messed up to because the automated menu selection doesn't go to the respective department. For those who don't live in NJ, this Acura dealership is part of the same ownership group for Honda and BMW of Atlantic City. I don't recommend this place at all.

So when I call, I get "press 2 for Acura" and it ends up going to BMW...its ridiculous. The service here has always sucked too, everytime I've needed something done, it's unprofessional. The people aren't in sync with each other and basic logistics are often screwed up.

I just looked at the MyAcura warranty info and I'm eligible for 60% back if I read it correctly. I just want to know if I can give them my battery in exchange for a new one and I'll obviously pay the difference. It's not like I can drive the car down there so that's the only logical way unless they refuse because they want to charge me for labor and installation.

I just want to know if I can do this before I go out wasting money.
Ha, yep Bridgewater Acura does suck. I went to buy a used car twice up there and both of them had problems even after I pointed them out. I live about 100 miles away from it and put a deposit on a car. After telling me that they would fix some scratches on the rear bumper, I get up there and they didn't even touch it. The rims were all chipped and needed a transmission drain and fill.

They are as bad as a local Acura dealership around here, Metro Acura. About 5 years ago I had them change my timing belt and drive belts. Only while I was looking a year later did I discover that the drive belt was ready to snap. They didn't admit they didn't replace it even though their tech said it wasn't even OEM! As long as I live I won't ever buy a car from these crooks!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

So just to give an update on this story, I tweeted to @AcuraClientCare and told them what happened. They called me on Tuesday and told me that the battery was replaced at 15k (from the orig. owner) under the original 4 year warranty. He (Sergio) said "any battery replaced under the 4 years still remains under the warranty unless you make a purchase for a battery replacement then you obtain the extra warranty otherwise it is under the new vehicle warranty in which I see your vehicle is out of..".

Does this make sense? Why would you purchase a battery replacement under the 4 year warranty?

He then told me he left a message for the service manager at Boardwalk Acura to give me a call.

Well - the service manager never called!

So now this week, I sent 2 emails, 1 phone call and Acura told them to call me. Thats 4 attempts at communication with Boardwalk Acura!

I eventually bit the bullet on Tuesday night and bought a new battery online from Advance Auto Parts (AutoCraft Gold - $87.50, saved $27 with online coupon codes!) and took my father's car there to pick it up and returned home to install it since I obv couldn't drive it.

I was walking out of class the next day and Acura called me and I told Sergio what happened and how they never called me and that I bought the battery myself because I needed my car, there was no other alternatives. I goto class and work everyday and class is a half hour trip one way. I reiterated that Boardwalk Acura's service is just terrible and that I hope it changes because I'm never going there again. He told me he's filing my complaint against them and that unfortunately their all privately owned so they're all managed differently. I told him I understood and he said to fax or upload a pic of of the receipt and that they might be able to give me some financial assistance for all my troubles and that they appreciate my loyalty to Acura. I took a pic yesterday but they couldn't read it so I'm faxing it tomorrow.

I'll be happy with anything. I'm actually really impressed with Acura Client Care. They're really good and Sergio was really helpful. I will update this story again.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilsJim89
So just to give an update on this story, I tweeted to @AcuraClientCare and told them what happened. They called me on Tuesday and told me that the battery was replaced at 15k (from the orig. owner) under the original 4 year warranty. He (Sergio) said "any battery replaced under the 4 years still remains under the warranty unless you make a purchase for a battery replacement then you obtain the extra warranty otherwise it is under the new vehicle warranty in which I see your vehicle is out of..".

Does this make sense? Why would you purchase a battery replacement under the 4 year warranty?

He then told me he left a message for the service manager at Boardwalk Acura to give me a call.

Well - the service manager never called!

So now this week, I sent 2 emails, 1 phone call and Acura told them to call me. Thats 4 attempts at communication with Boardwalk Acura!

I eventually bit the bullet on Tuesday night and bought a new battery online from Advance Auto Parts (AutoCraft Gold - $87.50, saved $27 with online coupon codes!) and took my father's car there to pick it up and returned home to install it since I obv couldn't drive it.

I was walking out of class the next day and Acura called me and I told Sergio what happened and how they never called me and that I bought the battery myself because I needed my car, there was no other alternatives. I goto class and work everyday and class is a half hour trip one way. I reiterated that Boardwalk Acura's service is just terrible and that I hope it changes because I'm never going there again. He told me he's filing my complaint against them and that unfortunately their all privately owned so they're all managed differently. I told him I understood and he said to fax or upload a pic of of the receipt and that they might be able to give me some financial assistance for all my troubles and that they appreciate my loyalty to Acura. I took a pic yesterday but they couldn't read it so I'm faxing it tomorrow.

I'll be happy with anything. I'm actually really impressed with Acura Client Care. They're really good and Sergio was really helpful. I will update this story again.
Seems like you had the same luck I had with my problem at Metro Acura. While I changed my belt the best they could do is file a complaint against the dealership for not using an OEM belt.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Just to update this again...Acura Client Care called me last Friday and told me they are going to go ahead and put me in for a FULL REIMBURSEMENT!!! Wooo!! Sergio and Ajay over on Acura Client Care Twitter really took care of me. Highly recommend. They understood my frustration and how Acura's own language about the warranty was questionable.

Why would you purchase a battery replacement if it was already covered under the original warranty?? Acura needs to revise that language. It's illogical.
The following users liked this post:
nj2pa2nc (02-03-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I have the original battery on my 04 with 162K. Been lucky, but yes all my friends at the dealership make fun of me and say they wish they could use a lawn mower battery too.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should try Yuasa Batteries, they come with a life time warranty in the UK, i dont know if that applies in the States.