For Those Driving With A Dying Transmission

Old 04-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For Those Driving With A Dying Transmission

You may want to reconsider doing so unless you absolutely have no other choice. Here is why I say this.
The first time my transmission died, there was almost no warning. No obvious slipping or anything. Only the check engine light.
So there I was doing 75 in the left lane on the freeway. Behind me was some idiot following too close. In my peripheral vision I see a dash light come on.
A chill went down my spine when I realized which one it was. I signaled and moved to the middle lane, then BANG.
The car suddenly slowed down as if I'd hit the brakes, I was thrown forward then caught by the seatbelt, and the car that had been behind me in the left lane went shooting past.
I'd gone from 75 to 60 (IIRC) in the blink of an eye. Apparently that was the car dropping out of gear. Fortunately I was able to make it to the off ramp and then pull off the road entirely.
That could easily have turned into a severe or even fatal accident. From experience I can tell you that being hit from behind by someone doing "only" 45 mph is no picnic either.
Really, if you have another option car wise when you get the code of death, you should use it.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
good warning!

Search this Thread