A clicking noise when accelerating???

Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A clicking noise when accelerating???

So this morning I notice some weird noise. To be more accurate I took it to a quiet road. First I stopped at a stop sign, then I accelerate quickly by stepping on the gas pedal to about 3k rpm. Suddenly a noise came on, but then went away. It only happen when I decide to throttle it. Sound like a clicking noise. Have anyone experience this? Mine car is an 04 TL with about 80k on it and its an automatic. If anyone know what the cause of this problem is. Please help me out. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
offhand guess is axle/cv bearings
ck it by turning wheel full to one side- start to move ahead slowly listening with windows down for click click
now do the other side and same test
if noise thats outer cv bearing

getting on freeway noise can be inner cv axle bearing- you replace the complete axle when this happens
Its common problem to front wheel drive cars.. and if you hit potholes or do burnouts on corners (my nephew in the mazda) it will eat those bearings
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 AM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
offhand guess is axle/cv bearings
ck it by turning wheel full to one side- start to move ahead slowly listening with windows down for click click
now do the other side and same test
if noise thats outer cv bearing

getting on freeway noise can be inner cv axle bearing- you replace the complete axle when this happens
Its common problem to front wheel drive cars.. and if you hit potholes or do burnouts on corners (my nephew in the mazda) it will eat those bearings
So I decided to take the car the a garage parking to get a better hearing. So first I accelerated, the clicking noise echoed and gave a better hearing. First it start clicking at acceleration, then like one second later the noise clicked again. When it is in parked, I started pressing on the gas pedal to see if it was making that noise. It turned out that it did not make any clicking noise. About how much is it to fix the bearings?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Sondinh
So I decided to take the car the a garage parking to get a better hearing. So first I accelerated, the clicking noise echoed and gave a better hearing. First it start clicking at acceleration, then like one second later the noise clicked again. When it is in parked, I started pressing on the gas pedal to see if it was making that noise. It turned out that it did not make any clicking noise. About how much is it to fix the bearings?
You need to do as he said earlier and hit the gas while turning and see if it gets worse.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
no its not the cv boots... Im taking my car in under warranty this week for the same thing..... Give me a few days... we should have it figuered out.

Symptom : Clicking (metal taping metal sound...not grinding. just a quit click)

Senario : At a stop light. Green light. Accelerate, just before second "CLICK!" after second before third "CLICK" and thats all. No clicking after those gears.

Maybe one of the motor mounts may be so worn out its bare metal making contact when the weight of the motor shifts before shifts?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a similar issue on cold starts. A local shop told me it was the heat shield. A service bulletin corresponding to the issue was found. Being out of warranty, I paid $199 for repair. I did price comparisons between dealers and honda/acura shops in my area, most were above $250.

Here is an excerpt from a bulletin:

SYMPTOM
While driving under light acceleration, you hear an intermittent pinging, rattling, or squealing from the engine compartment. The noise can easily be mistaken for an engine ping or a spark knock. In some cases, the noise happens only during engine warm-up.

PROBABLE CAUSE
The intermediate shaft heat shield is loose in its mounting bushings.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the intermediate shaft heat shield and any specified nuts or gaskets.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-026.PDF
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

We have the same problem, i think its tranny im taking the car to the dealer on monday to see whats wrong!!
here is a video of the noise that i have!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModdbHkWqB4
Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 PM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i had a noise similar to that and it went away after a while. the noise appeared after i took the car in for servicing and they replaced a transmission mount.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I have the clicking noise, but it is 1000000% from an axle.

Hold the the break, and tap to accelerate..is the noise there?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
OK GUYS FOUND THE "CLICK" issue

Went in to the dealer & had it checked... had to gor through 3 service guys & finally the Service manager.

The Culprit: Aftermarket pads

Reason: Aftermarket pads are slightly (by a super small amount) smaller. Which in return, when accelerating, they shift "click" ever so slightly when moving forward & speed is applied. Then they return to normal as the force is reduced.... ie: coasting.

My own test: Shifted into reverse & accelerated then "click". Then shifted to drive & accelerated & "click".

They said it might be resolved by adding a OEM "bracket"(not sure if that's the right word) that comes stock with the OEM brakes. (I still have my old brake pads with the brackets in tact.

OEM brake pads have 2 brackets/metal holders per side.... AFTERMARKET pads have just 1 per side.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
OK GUYS FOUND THE "CLICK" issue

Went in to the dealer & had it checked... had to gor through 3 service guys & finally the Service manager.

The Culprit: Aftermarket pads

Reason: Aftermarket pads are slightly (by a super small amount) smaller. Which in return, when accelerating, they shift "click" ever so slightly when moving forward & speed is applied. Then they return to normal as the force is reduced.... ie: coasting.

My own test: Shifted into reverse & accelerated then "click". Then shifted to drive & accelerated & "click".

They said it might be resolved by adding a OEM "bracket"(not sure if that's the right word) that comes stock with the OEM brakes. (I still have my old brake pads with the brackets in tact.

OEM brake pads have 2 brackets/metal holders per side.... AFTERMARKET pads have just 1 per side.
I have aftermarket brake pads for since April and never heard any clicking noise. But about a month later the clicking noise came but wasn't noticeable. After a few weeks it tends to get louder. Will it do any damage to the car? By the way I only have aftermarket brake pads (left and right) in the rear.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure it is not because of the aftermarket brake pads. I just replace my front brake pads which is OEM Brembo brake pads. When I almost stop my car and just accelerate from full stop or very slow speed then I will hear the clicking sound. It just a quick click sound, sometime only one click and sometime two click. I will bring my car to dealer next week too. I will let you guy know what wrong with that.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

**Not a brake issue!! lol Dealers blame "everything" on brakes.

This issue should happen with any change of momentum. Give her in reverse, then forward, then reverse. It should click every time and will get progressively worse is left untreated.

Have your axle nuts tightened or replaced.
Tightening will correct the issue right away, but the if the nuts are worn, it will come back. I've been though this a few times. Since they were replaced, problem fixed! It's been months now of hard driving. The dealer let me see and keep my worn axle nuts to silence my disbelief. Goes without saying, not fixing this can lead to other damages.

07 TL-S 6MT
Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 PM
4th Gear

Well I dropped off the Typs S today to our dealer for the 4th time for them to fix this "click" I will call them tomorrow and tell them to remove the axle nuts, pull both axles, inspect/re grease them, reinstall them, then replace both the nuts. I do not believe its a brake pad issue, because I have the Brembos and still have the same issues as others do without the brembos. The clicking is EVERY time the torque drastically changes...like under initial start, or if I let off the gas in mid throttle, then it clicks then.. Anytime the motor/axles torque...

We shall see what they say tomorrow, but will keep you all posted..
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM
4th Gear

Well the dealer failed me again... They had it for three days, said they loosened and tightened every bolt by the front end and could not find a certain thing.. I had them remove the axles and inspect them, they said they did, and nothing was wrong, they re greased them and reinstalled them. I Will say that the click isn't as bad now, but it is still there. It is really bothering me why they cant fix this issue, and that soo many other Acura owners are having the same issues with no answers.. Its embarrassing to pull away in such a nice car and have it click all the way through the gears... I hope they find an answer soon!! I might have to find another dealer to work on the car..
Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by polcat08
Well the dealer failed me again... They had it for three days, said they loosened and tightened every bolt by the front end and could not find a certain thing.. I had them remove the axles and inspect them, they said they did, and nothing was wrong, they re greased them and reinstalled them. I Will say that the click isn't as bad now, but it is still there. It is really bothering me why they cant fix this issue, and that soo many other Acura owners are having the same issues with no answers.. Its embarrassing to pull away in such a nice car and have it click all the way through the gears... I hope they find an answer soon!! I might have to find another dealer to work on the car..
did they put on new axle nuts...many people have had success with the install of new ones
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Does it sound anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JioR-P8QPM
Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CG's 3GTL
Does it sound anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JioR-P8QPM
I think I have the same problem when I throttle from 2k rpm to about 2700 rpm. It doesn't happen when I gas in park or neutral though. The sound is a VERY annoying hissing noise, almost like a rattle. It sounds similar to the one in this video.

My friend who is an Acura mechanic initially thought it was the heat shield, but it wasn't. He couldnt figure out what the problem was. But this sound has been bothering me for over half a year. I always worry that something is wrong with my car. Does anyone have any insight on this sound??
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by donaldso718
I think I have the same problem when I throttle from 2k rpm to about 2700 rpm. It doesn't happen when I gas in park or neutral though. The sound is a VERY annoying hissing noise, almost like a rattle. It sounds similar to the one in this video.

My friend who is an Acura mechanic initially thought it was the heat shield, but it wasn't. He couldnt figure out what the problem was. But this sound has been bothering me for over half a year. I always worry that something is wrong with my car. Does anyone have any insight on this sound??
Yea so that makes 2 of us... I hear that its a heat shield issue also but its been getting louder and its been going on since I purchased the car...
Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My friend changed the heat shield, but that wasn't the culprit.. =/
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

I have the same issue too. My car clicks after 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. I wonder why it does that.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same damn noise, just fixed the lower tranny mount which was blown, and i filled my passenger side engine mount which gave my car a much better feel, although the infamous clicking noise during shifts 1st through 3rd and reverse still persists. My money is on the drive shafts. It initially started on the drivers side and then moved to the passenger side.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/acceleration-click-noise-video-793458/

heres is the video for the click noise you guys encounter..
Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Wow, I haven't logged on in a while, but this is exactly the same problem I have with my car. I had my transmission fluid changed and front Brembo pads replaced. They also repalced my rotors.

I noticed that after I picked up my car, I would hear a clicking noise. Usually when I'm stopped, and I give it gas. It seems to happen in first, reverse, and sometimes shifting down from 3rd to second in sport shift. I went back to the dealer and they claimed it was some clips for the breaks. Had my car for 3 days, and said it was fixed. Soon as I left the lot, click. I ended up bringing in my car again about a month later because they didn't have loaners available. My hands free link also died during that month and my passenger side mirror was getting stuck clicking, but that's another story. I went out for a drive to reproduce the problem so they can hear it. They had my car for 5 days, and they said it was the engine mount and transmission mount. Picked up my car, and the click is still there. To make things worst, now my check engine light is on too. I'm going to call them tomorrow to complain and get this fixed, but I would like to know the exact cause of this noise... I'll try driving with the wheels turned right and left in a parking lot to see if it's the cv joint like someone suggested.

I have a 2007 TL-S with 95,000 miles on it. I have extended warranty until 100,000 miles, so I want to get everything fixed that needs to be fixed before my warranty is up.

The sound is just like the last youtube video.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

The last youtube clicking video posted above shows "exactly" the issue I had and resolved. See my post #13.
It was an axle nut issue, once replaced, no more problems.
15$ a side, just have them do it.
*The dealer gave me a hard time too, wanting to replace everything else first. (brakes, bearings etc..)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Advanced

That's great. I'm dropping off my car on thursday for them to give it another shot. I'm glad you posted a reply because I will have them check that. I was going to tell them to check the cv joint/bearings, axel, and axel nut. They're suppose to give me a mdx or zdx for a loaner, and I wanted to take one of those for a spin anyway...

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:46 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a similar clicking noise at 2000RPM. It sounds something like clunk clunk but would go away when it hits 2200-2500RPM. I can't seem to figure it out. Did anybody figure this out?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Me!

I was wondering if anyone's gotten this problem fixed and figured out what it is yet?

I have had this problem for about a month now and the dealership had it for about a week. They said there was play in the right front lower balljoint and replaced it. Tight all the nuts and bolts. After I drove it, the sound is much better, not as audible on turns -- but... nonetheless, still there.

It seems to only happen during the first gear when I switch to sport shift and speed up to about 3-3.5K RPM. I'm thinking it's my brake now and going to machine the rotors and replace the brake pads this weekend.

I'm hoping if anyone's got a clue to whether it's a Mechanical problem or a body problem. The dealer will not do anything else for me and if I want to continue the diagnostic, they would charge 120 bucks an hour to figure it out (obviously if it's mechanical it's covered by warranty, but if not I will be charged full).

I'd like to know definitively because the car's 4K mile shy of 62,000. I'd like to replace it before initial warranty expires.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Advanced

I now have this clicking noise and it's driving me crazy. Just found this thread so has anyone definitively located the cause of the noise?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also have this issue or something similar. 6spd 04 w/ 99000 miles. It only makes the sound in 1st and 2nd gear under moderate acceleration (1500-2000rpm). If I take it out of gear - no sound when just rolling. Sounds like somone holding something against a moving fan.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
x10 for anyone who has resolved this issue, i have the same problem when accelerating between 1-3k in the lower gears i get a slight clicking noise. It is barely audible when the windows are up, i cant hear it with music on but if my windows are down it is very noticeable.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok so for the people that are experiencing this, does it happen when the car is cold and when you turn during acceleration?

That is the issue I had and I had my dealer replace both of my axles for free under powertrain warranty.

Since my car wouldn't make the noise when the car is warm, by the time it went to the dealer, I couldn't replicate the noise. So I picked the coldest time of the year and I let it sit at the dealer overnight and had them drive the car first thing in the morning.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Racer

For me it happens when it is in gear - noise is louder in 1st and gets quieter in each gear. It happens warm and cold and it happens turning and straight.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 PM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad I saw this, I have the exact same issue but made a new thread about it a few days ago.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
are these issues all from the automatics?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by con5tant
are these issues all from the automatics?
No I'm a 6spd, and the linked threads mention 6spds as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Racer

Mine is 6spd also - today the noise was really loud in the first 3 gears...
Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Racer

Got some lift time today and the consensus among techs was a missing tooth in the main gear. That's why it makes the noise in 1st, 2nd and (now) reverse. They said if I can stand the noise, it will be fine. Otherwise spend the money to open the tranny up and replace the gear.

Guess I'll deal with it.....
Old 05-11-2012, 04:31 PM

I re-torqued the shaft nut to 180 ft lbs and for now at least the sound is gone. This leads me to believe that the information above is correct. I don't think that i have an issue with chipped gear teeth.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,720 Posts
I think I have the same problem. Coming from the front on both left and right side

The first noise happens almost right away. Second comes around 6-8secs. Third time around 12sec. Last one is at the 18sec mark.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A clicking noise when accelerating???