Cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Sorry kinda little late on this thread, but my friend has a 05 TL with 89K miles, far away from warranty, and he had some minor cracks in his dashboard like a inch long, not really noticeable, and our dealership replaced it free of charge and even gave him Protectant for his dashboard and at the same time fixed all of his rattles and other problems without even being told to do so all under expired warranty. He did have to pay for a simple alignment and balance, but that is normal

I've got to admit and I am very lucky that I have his good dealership.

JOHN EAGLE ACURA
Thanks for the info Champ.. I picked up a dash since my inconspicuous 1" dash crack turned into 6-7" over the past month. Found some interesting correlation between the cracks & the dash design by looking at the new one.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I've never had a problem with my dash and hopefully I don't to avoid any problems, but is there a correlation between NAVI and the dashboard cracking? Someone posted this before in this thread about the excessive heat. I didn't even know the dash could crack even without care. All I use for my dash is like those Clorox disinfectant wipes than I wipe them with a clean and wet terry towel. Never knew this could happen so quick or even happen until my car is like 20 years old. My families old accord hasn't even got any cracked dashboards and its over 12 years old
Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
I've never had a problem with my dash and hopefully I don't to avoid any problems, but is there a correlation between NAVI and the dashboard cracking? Someone posted this before in this thread about the excessive heat. I didn't even know the dash could crack even without care. All I use for my dash is like those Clorox disinfectant wipes than I wipe them with a clean and wet terry towel. Never knew this could happen so quick or even happen until my car is like 20 years old. My families old accord hasn't even got any cracked dashboards and its over 12 years old
The dashes look good but were designed poorly. You should use 303 or Acura's dash care kit, those clorox wipes might discolor your dash.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Don't use Armor-all on your dash. It's a shine and it really doesn't protect as it advertises.. also rumored to cause damage from what I'm hearing.
Rumored? It will cause damage. The proof is in the ingredients... On the bottle it clearly states that it contains petroleum distillates. Petroleum distillates act as a drying agent... It gets that "shiny" look by pulling moisture to the surface. Over time when that moisture evaporates, it leaves your dash dry and brittle.

Take a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and rub it all over your hands... Sure it will clean your hands, but it will also pull moisture out of your skin.

Do not ever use any product that contains petroleum distillates on your dash, your tires, or any other rubber/plastic pieces...

In fact read >>this article<<. A former employee (with a PhD in chemistry) who was head of Armor All research labs, was fired when he revealed that Armor All causes tires and dash-board air-bag covers to crack... He sued the company. Armor-All than asked the courts to seal the court records regarding this research.

Here is an interesting quote from the article:

"He would never have signed the confidentiality agreement if he had believed that the purpose was to allow the company to sell potentially deadly products, rather than to protect legitimate trade secrets. Under California law, he conceivably can even be sent to prison for failing to report that the product is potentially hazardous," added McCarthy, noting that California Penal Code Section 387 requires any corporate manager to report "serious concealed danger" to the state Division of Occupational Safety and Health and other agencies.
So anyways... NEVER EVER use Armor All or any product that contains petroleum distillates on your car's plastic/rubber/vinyl pieces....
Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by avs007
Rumored? It will cause damage. The proof is in the ingredients... On the bottle it clearly states that it contains petroleum distillates. Petroleum distillates act as a drying agent... It gets that "shiny" look by pulling moisture to the surface. Over time when that moisture evaporates, it leaves your dash dry and brittle.

Take a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and rub it all over your hands... Sure it will clean your hands, but it will also pull moisture out of your skin.

Do not ever use any product that contains petroleum distillates on your dash, your tires, or any other rubber/plastic pieces...

In fact read >>this article<<. A former employee (with a PhD in chemistry) who was head of Armor All research labs, was fired when he revealed that Armor All causes tires and dash-board air-bag covers to crack... He sued the company. Armor-All than asked the courts to seal the court records regarding this research.

Here is an interesting quote from the article:

So anyways... NEVER EVER use Armor All or any product that contains petroleum distillates on your car's plastic/rubber/vinyl pieces....
nice find AVS!!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Traveling the country

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
I'll let you know. I haven't heard from him yet today. If he doesn't call by Friday, I'll be contacting him.

Any update?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Originally Posted by bimmerman
Any update?
It's all being resolved on Tuesday. Once I get the final details and everything I'll gladly post up
Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow interesting read...makes me scared for sure and i'm only a prespective buyer ('05 TL AT). I seriously hope for the best in your case!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I'M GOING IN

I know when I bought my car they replaced the dash because when I was cleaning it, it is all loose near the windshield. Like whoever took it apart never put the new one back right. I put all sorts of dash protectors but I got the same fucking fading in the passenger side air bag. I feel it, Its coming and Im scared I pray to God, Jesus, Allah, the church of Scientology and anybody that can help me its coming I can feel it in my LOINS.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm wondering what dates the people with cracked dashes were produced?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
It's all being resolved on Tuesday. Once I get the final details and everything I'll gladly post up
do they charge you ??
Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by TL on "20"
do they charge you ??
Yes they did.

Here's my post about it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/my-cracked-dashboard-ordeal-730775/
Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
holy shitttttttt

how the fuk can our dash crack like that?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Intermediate

To the guy that said he put armor-all on his dash. DO NOT DO IT!! The best thing for your dash is a damp cloth to wipe the dust off - nothing else. Buy one of those gay visors and put it up during the day, even when it's cold outside and park your car in the shade or a garage to prevent the problem. Tinting the car also helps reduce the overall interior heat.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ABP_04TL
holy shitttttttt

how the fuk can our dash crack like that?
Don't know. Luckily Acura covered over half of my replacement. Check out that thread I linked a few posts back for the whole story.

Originally Posted by m5runner
To the guy that said he put armor-all on his dash. DO NOT DO IT!! The best thing for your dash is a damp cloth to wipe the dust off - nothing else. Buy one of those gay visors and put it up during the day, even when it's cold outside and park your car in the shade or a garage to prevent the problem. Tinting the car also helps reduce the overall interior heat.
Agreed. I've been reading more and more that Armor-All is absolutely horrible for plastics in cars.

When I bought the car, I didn't have any cracks in the dash. I have 35% tint all around, use a sun shade when parked outside, crack my windows when it's hot outside, and my car is garage kept. I just didn't understand why it was happening when I did everything I could to prevent it.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Banned

Hey I have a 04 Acura TL with 51k miles on it now. My dash has a crack as well. So far its only 2 lines outlining the airbag. It started out as 1 and now currently have 2. I'm scared it might get worst but I did go to Acura and they said that my car is out of warranty so they gave me Corporate's number and I called and told them what was going on. The *person* there said that my car is out of warranty but he will talk it out with the dealership to see what they can do. They haven't called me back yet and its been almost a week. I am very upset and at this point I don't know what the f*** to do. What can I do now?????????
Old 06-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Instructor

The dash on mine was cracked when it was traded into the dealer and was replaced before I bought it, they told me but I had no idea it was such a large issue with this car.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MissTheary
Hey I have a 04 Acura TL with 51k miles on it now. My dash has a crack as well. So far its only 2 lines outlining the airbag. It started out as 1 and now currently have 2. I'm scared it might get worst but I did go to Acura and they said that my car is out of warranty so they gave me Corporate's number and I called and told them what was going on. The *person* there said that my car is out of warranty but he will talk it out with the dealership to see what they can do. They haven't called me back yet and its been almost a week. I am very upset and at this point I don't know what the f*** to do. What can I do now?????????
Can you post a picture here ???
Old 06-13-2009, 01:34 PM
2nd Gear

worst than mine???

I would be PISSSSSSSSEEEEEDDDD if Acura didn't replace that!
Old 06-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I went back through this thread and am I correct saying this is an issue only on the '04s so far?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Damn! Found another crack on the driver side. Acura needs to do something about this; this is ridiculous!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 293 Likes on 141 Posts
Have the guys in PR gotten this fixed with the dealer?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Advanced

Mannn this post is informing and scarring the crapp out of me ... I have a 04 and am now starting to use sun visors
Old 06-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Perfectmax
I would be PISSSSSSSSEEEEEDDDD if Acura didn't replace that!
I am going to meet with the waranty manager on friday 26 I have told that here in PR they are ofering to give the dash for free but we have to pay like $500 with acura service to get it install !! Will let you know !!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:02 PM

I am going to meet with the waranty manager on friday 26 I have told that here in PR they are ofering to give the dash for free but we have to pay like $500 with acura service to get it install !! Will let you know !!
They put together a total for everything for me. It was around $1200 or $1300 for parts and then around $500 for labor. I paid right around $585 and they split that between the parts and labor.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

picked up 303 yesterday, and put it on everything today (interior and exterior). Hopefully it will save me from some headaches and troubles later on.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:21 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by luisro
I have the same situation. I thought i was the only one with this situation. I have a 04 TL A-Spec with 24k miles on it. I bought it nearly 4 months ago from a third party. Since its 04 i think its out of warranty, but i will take it to the dealership and fight for it. This is a really annoying situation for a Luxury car with only 24k miles on it . Lets see what the dealer have for me.
i also have a 2004 and have 2 same crack as chapu in the same place !! the ex owner told me that it crack because of the armoral- !!! they don't have a recall on this ????
Originally Posted by chapu08
Check your emails, I have a story regarding that.....with a happy ending in my case.
Hi guys,
I'm from P.R. and like all in this thread I'm facing the same situation.
Definitely we must join forces to make Acura respond us. This problem is not linked to how we clean or which cleaner is applied to the dashboard, I think is related to the process of molding or the resin that is used in the manufacture of the part. In my case, when the sun heats the dashboard the cracks joins once cool all cracks appear. This looks horrible on a luxury car like the TL.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by donomar16
Hi guys,
I'm from P.R. and like all in this thread I'm facing the same situation.
Definitely we must join forces to make Acura respond us. This problem is not linked to how we clean or which cleaner is applied to the dashboard, I think is related to the process of molding or the resin that is used in the manufacture of the part. In my case, when the sun heats the dashboard the cracks joins once cool all cracks appear. This looks horrible on a luxury car like the TL.
Did you get in touch with acura waranty ?? I am going next friday !! BTW any of you that have gone already please send me a PM explaining me how to get there the only thing i know is that is on guaynabo !!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Did you get in touch with acura waranty ?? I am going next friday !! BTW any of you that have gone already please send me a PM explaining me how to get there the only thing i know is that is on guaynabo !!
ok forget it they explain me already !! thanks!!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 293 Likes on 141 Posts
ok forget it they explain me already !! thanks!!
Lol you are quoting yourself.. funny..

Hope my call helped..

If you get lost just give me a call..

And let everyone know what yo work out with the dealer..
Old 06-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an 06 and havent seen any cracks yet but i can see the outline of the airbag on the pass dash...
Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Go TL it on the mountain!

Originally Posted by Mjakaz06TL
I have an 06 and havent seen any cracks yet but i can see the outline of the airbag on the pass dash...
my 04 has that. its been there since i bought it.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Add me to the list. This is rediculous. Just noticed a crack yesterday on the passenger side. 04 TL with 73k miles. I will certainly be using the info in this thread to get it repaired. I will post the outcome. I dont think Ive ever owned a car with a cracked dash, previous cars were a slew of mustangs, a corvette, a few bmw's. This is a JOKE.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cmoore
Add me to the list. This is rediculous. Just noticed a crack yesterday on the passenger side. 04 TL with 73k miles. I will certainly be using the info in this thread to get it repaired. I will post the outcome. I dont think Ive ever owned a car with a cracked dash, previous cars were a slew of mustangs, a corvette, a few bmw's. This is a JOKE.

So I called Acura client services, they told me to call my local dealer, which I did (Acura Carland Duluth, GA). I scheduled and appt next mon 7/6 with the svc mgr, I asked if he has serviced a lot of cracked dashes and his response was "ive seen a few". He then went on to say that hes not sure if it will be authorized by Acura or not, but if so it will need to stay with them for atleast a few days. So clearly they are aware and Acura has authorized the repair before. Ill keep everyone posted. BTW, does anyone have any experience with Acura Carland in Duluth, GA?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Instructor

I have my apointment tomorrow here in PR will let you know how i did !!!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Instructor

I was thinking this is riddiculous, each day there are more and more people with the same problem. (obviously a factory deffect) I wonder if we made a group in facebook and got tons of people to join we could put some preasure on the dealers. That is because faceboook has an incredible reach. When there might be a couple thousand people looking at Acurazine at any given time, Facebook must have millions of users on at any giventime. What you guys think? sounds like a good idea?

Best,

Rolan
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rolan04tl
I was thinking this is riddiculous, each day there are more and more people with the same problem. (obviously a factory deffect) I wonder if we made a group in facebook and got tons of people to join we could put some preasure on the dealers. That is because faceboook has an incredible reach. When there might be a couple thousand people looking at Acurazine at any given time, Facebook must have millions of users on at any giventime. What you guys think? sounds like a good idea?

Best,

Rolan
good idea
Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Came right now from acura and im not please they only took pictures and told me that my car was 53,000 miles and was out of warranty and that i was not the original owner !!! I told him that I know of people in US that have them replace for free by good will. He told me that that people have buy several Acuras !! That is Crap that means that i have to buy 3 acuras to get a good service????

He show me his 2004 Tl and told me that his car was always in the sun and have never appear a crack!! I told him is obvious that not all TL's will have it !! I told him that i only want the part and i will pay the installation. and he told me that the only thing he can do is to send the pictures to US and they will tell him if they will cover the dash. and that i will have to wait at least 2 weeks.

He coment me that Acura was aware of the problem and they are investigating tha Dash!! today another friend call me and told me that his dash was starting to crack!! All of you that have this problem you have to stay calling and pushing them to do something!!

The most thing that bothers me is that he ask me how the Dash affect me ???? And i told him that this was a $46,000 car and every day i drive it i have to see the dash crack like and old car !!!

I am thinking of writing to Acura or start a law suit. !!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Came right now from acura and im not please they only took pictures and told me that my car was 53,000 miles and was out of warranty and that i was not the original owner !!! I told him that I know of people in US that have them replace for free by good will. He told me that that people have buy several Acuras !! That is Crap that means that i have to buy 3 acuras to get a good service????

He show me his 2004 Tl and told me that his car was always in the sun and have never appear a crack!! I told him is obvious that not all TL's will have it !! I told him that i only want the part and i will pay the installation. and he told me that the only thing he can do is to send the pictures to US and they will tell him if they will cover the dash. and that i will have to wait at least 2 weeks.

He coment me that Acura was aware of the problem and they are investigating tha Dash!! today another friend call me and told me that his dash was starting to crack!! All of you that have this problem you have to stay calling and pushing them to do something!!

The most thing that bothers me is that he ask me how the Dash affect me ???? And i told him that this was a $46,000 car and every day i drive it i have to see the dash crack like and old car !!!

This is absolute BS! If they give me that crap when I take mine in next monday, I will not be happy. Ive got 73k on my car and am the second owner so they may try to pull that on me. We'll see what happens. If they wont fix it then this will be my first and last Acura PERIOD. This is a great car otherwise, but this is unacceptable.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 AM
5th Gear

Angry

That was the same BS that Mr. Malaret told me at the dealer I have to wait two weeks and that was on March 2 and I'm still waiting for the notification.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked dashboard in '04 TL