Navigation DVD Player Error

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help. Navigation Repair

I recently bought a 2004 MDX touring. I have the "check disc error" and I was going to ship the DVD unit to Alpine per the great advice on this forum.

My question - is my nav screen (air conditioning, temperature etc) completely disabled if I have this error. I ask because I have never had anything work on the screen except the back-up camera and error message. Does the DVD unit under the passenger's seat and the orange disc control all of my other on screen functions? It is pain not being able to control my AC unit modes or other menu options. I do not want to refurbish and then find out I also need to replace navigation unit.

Thank you for any help.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Cruisin'

I have the very same problem for my 2003 TL...sent the unit in with t he yellow screen of death - format issue - see the dealer. Alpine assures me that the unit sent back - a reman one was tested and good - any ideas? Is there a way to reload the software via the DVD and start over?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

I just want to say thanks to the original thread contributors because I was able to send my non-functioning unit to Alpine and have it repaired for only $158. They were a little backed up with repairs so it took roughly 5 weeks from the time I sent the unit to the time I got it back. But I just installed it and it's working like new!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Racer

I'm getting this error now as well on my '04 TSX, and debating between sending the unit back to Alpine, or just getting one off of ebay.

Can I take the DVD Unit from a newer TSX than mine (like an '06-'-08 model) and swap it out for my broken unit, thus getting the updated GUI?

If it's around $160 to repair it, vs $300 to get one off ebay and it'd have the updated GUI, I might just go that route, but I'm not sure if it's that easily swap-out-able.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by PsyTroniks
I just want to say thanks to the original thread contributors because I was able to send my non-functioning unit to Alpine and have it repaired for only $158. They were a little backed up with repairs so it took roughly 5 weeks from the time I sent the unit to the time I got it back. But I just installed it and it's working like new!

My buddy's '05 TSX had this same message. Searched for an answer here, and found this thread. I tried my disc cleaner on his with no luck. I gave him Alpine's info and told him to send it in. He just got it back last Thursday, and it works beautifully.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of you guys have the "disc reading error" and send it back to alpine then it works like new. But my problem is, my whole navi screen is blank ><. It comes back on from time to time and works like normal but then goes off again. I have tried using my TSX friends disc and the problem still persist so its not the disc.. Anyone else have this problem.. Ive been searching for months and still no results. I am really thinking about just sending it to alpine for $158 without knowing if its my dvd unit or my navi screen itself.. and dealer is charging $115 just to "diagnose" it.. BS... PLEASE HELP
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
help help help
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by itsx_04
Most of you guys have the "disc reading error" and send it back to alpine then it works like new. But my problem is, my whole navi screen is blank ><. It comes back on from time to time and works like normal but then goes off again. I have tried using my TSX friends disc and the problem still persist so its not the disc.. Anyone else have this problem.. Ive been searching for months and still no results. I am really thinking about just sending it to alpine for $158 without knowing if its my dvd unit or my navi screen itself.. and dealer is charging $115 just to "diagnose" it.. BS... PLEASE HELP
Why not try your friend's nav unit? It's like 4 screws and 4 plugs that are easy to access.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Well it was only a matter of time, Alpine is increasing their refurbishing service from $158 to $358. There went the screaming deal.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/alpine-refurbished-price-increasing-857225/
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

Yep, just talked to Alpine today & they confirmed repair price went up to $358 just in May 2012. Considering its integration w/ the AC & Audio functions, I just sucked it up and shipped it off. Alpine guy said 5-7 days repair time.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:27 AM
3rd Gear

Wow thank God for this forum.

Thank you all for your help

I shipped my unit to Alpine following all the instructions from the other users with the old dvd disc. I fed-ex'd on June 30th (Saturday), it was received by Alpine on July 5th (Thursday) and I received it back today July 12th.

Damn fast service!

The system seems to be working fine now. I was real excited when it seemed to boot up normally and it actually let me hit OK again.. YAY

After you reconnect it goes through a process to find the GPS signal which I had to stop because the car was in the garage and I needed to move the car. (It said leave engine running outside away from buildings and could take 10 minutes) so I let it run outside the house and the system wasn't changing screens so I turned the car off and tried again and it went into the system like normal... so I went for a test drive after setting a destination and it was way the f*ck off in some random area of the country... and I checked double checked my locations, etc. So I completely disconnected all the cables from the dvd unit and tried again reconnecting and it came right up to the wrong damn area of the country again.

This was very distressing. However, i read a tip in another thread on here that said You can to go into the service menu by pressing MENU+MAP+CANCEL. I tried that and not sure but right after I pushed those buttons it went right into the correct area and pinpointed me at my house and the correct surrounding area.. crazy. so i THINK it's OK now.

Going to do some more test runs before completely installing the carpet again.

It's like 108 outside tonight during this install and I'm about to go stand in the coldest water possible..

Thank you again Acurazine
Old 08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD reading error fixed

I had the same error messages and navigation has not worked for the past couple months. It started gradually, where it would work most of the time but the frequency of the errors increased until it would no longer work at all.

I was distraught about it since my 2004 TSX is at 170k miles (and running great!) and making big expenditures at this point is not something I want to do. Luckily I was able to fix the issue with a lens cleaner disc for $10. I left it in for a minute or two and it now works every time for at least the past week.

I only went this route after discovering the diagnostics menu (hold Map + Menu + Cancel buttons) from this forum and having my nav unit check out OK.

The message to take away from this is try the lens cleaner first. I am sorry for those who have had deeper problems with the unit itself. That is terrible. I was about ready to ship it off to Alpine until I saw that the price went up.
The following users liked this post:
BlackxWidow (01-14-2013)
Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 PM
3rd Gear

Navi Removal

I tried removing the navi from the trunk with no luck. The top bolts of the bracket are bolted downward and the 4 screws that hold the drive to the bracket seem to want to strip out when I try to remove them with a screwdriver. Any suggestions on how to get this thing out?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boone7
I had the same error messages and navigation has not worked for the past couple months. It started gradually, where it would work most of the time but the frequency of the errors increased until it would no longer work at all.

I was distraught about it since my 2004 TSX is at 170k miles (and running great!) and making big expenditures at this point is not something I want to do. Luckily I was able to fix the issue with a lens cleaner disc for $10. I left it in for a minute or two and it now works every time for at least the past week.

I only went this route after discovering the diagnostics menu (hold Map + Menu + Cancel buttons) from this forum and having my nav unit check out OK.

The message to take away from this is try the lens cleaner first. I am sorry for those who have had deeper problems with the unit itself. That is terrible. I was about ready to ship it off to Alpine until I saw that the price went up.
If you are lucky the cleaning disc may buy you some time. I tried that initially and it worked for a few days and then died again. Best of luck everyone, especially now that the price seems to have shot up to $358 for the repair. There's probably a shortage of parts since the vehicle is 10 years old or so.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by dalala81
I tried removing the navi from the trunk with no luck. The top bolts of the bracket are bolted downward and the 4 screws that hold the drive to the bracket seem to want to strip out when I try to remove them with a screwdriver. Any suggestions on how to get this thing out?
Strange because on my '04 (if my memory serves correctly) the screw mounts were the same as those of a DVD player on your computer (i.e on the sides) and then the plugs just removed from the back.

Hope you can find something to access in there or you may have to remove the trim piece under the back window and try to access from above.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by 7ukncaa
I recently bought a 2004 MDX touring. I have the "check disc error" and I was going to ship the DVD unit to Alpine per the great advice on this forum.

My question - is my nav screen (air conditioning, temperature etc) completely disabled if I have this error. I ask because I have never had anything work on the screen except the back-up camera and error message. Does the DVD unit under the passenger's seat and the orange disc control all of my other on screen functions? It is pain not being able to control my AC unit modes or other menu options. I do not want to refurbish and then find out I also need to replace navigation unit.

Thank you for any help.
Can't speak for the MDX but the TSX had hard buttons and a separate display for the climate system so this issue only affected the navigation.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Follow up to my 2012 post. The single lens cleaning worked for another 20k miles and one year until my car was rear ended and totaled. Not a single error during that time. Worth a shot!
Old 06-17-2015, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Hi boone7, do you recall which DVD lens cleaner you used? Thanks, Dan
Old 01-17-2017, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Dvd error

My 2007 tsx is saying DVD error consult dealer...I have seen where a lot of people are sending the DVD unit to alpine..when I press the eject button on the DVD player in the trunk it does not make any sound of trying to send put out the disk...I don't think I have a disk in there..would that be the problem with my player? It worked fine(gps) up until a month ago..any advice??
Old 01-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
It should open even if no disk, else you could never load a disk.

Shop manual has an extensive diagnostic procedure that can be accessed. You can get an e-manual for $22 from automanualsource.com.

good luck
Old 01-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I replaced the drive unit mechanism myself in my RDX (assuming the TSX would be the same procedure).

Replacing the mechanism was very cheap and easy (ordered straight from China via AliExpress).

Here's my thread about it; https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...-error-933293/
Old 07-07-2017, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by reds2k1
No tengo un TSX, sino un 04 'Acura MDX.

Hace dos días, empecé a recibir el siguiente error en mi pantalla NAV "DVD Disc Reading Error - Consulte a su distribuidor". He sacado el disco y me aseguro que estaba limpio y reinsertado. El error parece ser intermitente, pero a menudo. ¿Crees que es el reproductor de DVD o es el disco?

¡Gracias de antemano!
yo tengo tu mismo problema y no tengo idea de que hacer, una solución módica seria útil