ATLP exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATLP exhaust questions

Whats up guys,

I'm new to this forum and was considering getting this cat-back exhaust so i was trying to find out more about it. I know im not supposed to do this but was wondering if these videos are an accurate example of what it sounds like or has this person removed or change something with it like the resonator or mufflers. Im just trying to figure out how loud this thing really is.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
IMO try the straight pipes first... I can almost say it sounds the same even a Little bit quieter.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
my car lives!!!!.. lol

stock airbox with K&N filter.

this one is more accurate since this one was with a fully intact CAT.. the 2nd vid you posted was with a gutted cat

nostalgia...

Last edited by jjashaa; 07-28-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
^^^ Yeah, some pretty sweet sounds indeed !!!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Skirmich
IMO try the straight pipes first... I can almost say it sounds the same even a Little bit quieter.
Mmm would rather not do that. It would still be too loud for my taste and especially the neighborhood I live. But otherwise it probably sound sick as this video shows haha.

Originally Posted by jjashaa
my car lives!!!!.. lol

stock airbox with K&N filter.

this one is more accurate since this one was with a fully intact CAT.. the 2nd vid you posted was with a gutted cat

ATLP 2G EXHAUST PT2 - YouTube

nostalgia...
Oh yeah Ive seen that video as well. I just wasnt sure whether to post it cause I was not sure how it was different from the other vids. Ah so wait are you the owner of the car in those vids?! If so whats ur full setup for the exhaust? Did you get the resonator that was recommended to go along with it by Heeltoe or is non-resonated?

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
^^^ Yeah, some pretty sweet sounds indeed !!!
Indeed
Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 PM

Well In my case straight pipes it's just a little louder since TL-S has the mid muffler which I didn't remove.. ATLP is by far loudest since it's capped by the legal sound pressure limit (Around 98db) straight pipes don't even come close to the limit unless you WOT it... So driving at slow speed is almost as quiet than stock.

Should try it before you rule it out... Going straight pipes is the cheapest route ever..
Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 PM
10th Gear

Well In my case straight pipes it's just a little louder since TL-S has the mid muffler which I didn't remove.. ATLP is by far loudest since it's capped by the legal sound pressure limit (Around 98db) straight pipes don't even come close to the limit unless you WOT it... So driving at slow speed is almost as quiet than stock.

Should try it before you rule it out... Going straight pipes is the cheapest route ever..
The reason Im really looking into doing this is for performance purposes more than just sound. Do you think that if I included headers and a hi-flow cat in the setup i would get more results with straight pipe stock exhaust than with atlp?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by Shadowt
Oh yeah Ive seen that video as well. I just wasnt sure whether to post it cause I was not sure how it was different from the other vids. Ah so wait are you the owner of the car in those vids?! If so whats ur full setup for the exhaust? Did you get the resonator that was recommended to go along with it by Heeltoe or is non-resonated?

at the time the video i posted was taken.. it was stock airbox with K&N filter.. I think I still had my XS-P header on at the time and stock cat, with the ATLP exhaust.

I never knew ATLP had a resonated version available.. or i don't think there is. Mine was just piping to the mufflers like how most of them come to my knowledge.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

The reason Im really looking into doing this is for performance purposes more than just sound. Do you think that if I included headers and a hi-flow cat in the setup i would get more results with straight pipe stock exhaust than with atlp?

if you did that route.. header, HFCat and straight pipe.. prepare your car to be really loud..

best option would be to find an exhaust shop that can replicate the piping layout like the ATLP and pick some nice free flowing mufflers.. unless you want to source an ATLP exhaust somewhere... then your choice of header and HFCat
Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 PM

If you are looking for performance then custom pipes to pure straight pipes is the best performance exhaust ever... Though is not legal in many states.

ATLP will give you performance? Yeah some perhaps SOME... But at 1K you are better off doing other mods because exhaust is the final performance mod in the list ATLP by itself could only gain 3-4HP at most.. Is the combination of all other mods that Add Up and for 1K you do Headers + CAI, Polish and Port or J37 manifold + Bigger TB.. IMHO 1K for a Catback is just way too much..

For pure legal performance exhaust you will need all custom pipe from 2.5" to 3" to some high flow magnaflows... Not the ATLP.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 PM
10th Gear

at the time the video i posted was taken.. it was stock airbox with K&N filter.. I think I still had my XS-P header on at the time and stock cat, with the ATLP exhaust.

I never knew ATLP had a resonated version available.. or i don't think there is. Mine was just piping to the mufflers like how most of them come to my knowledge.
Great thats exactly what I was looking for. And as for the resonator, if you look at their website they have a resonator they sell thats made by Magnaflow that they say is specifically for TL/CL. Here's a link to it: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/atlp-reso...roductid=65930
if you did that route.. header, HFCat and straight pipe.. prepare your car to be really loud..

best option would be to find an exhaust shop that can replicate the piping layout like the ATLP and pick some nice free flowing mufflers.. unless you want to source an ATLP exhaust somewhere... then your choice of header and HFCat
Straight pipe would be my last resort if at all.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

eh... probably won't do much unless you have headers and test pipe to help bring down rasp.

the XLR8 HFCat would sort of act as a resonator so you should be fine without it.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 PM
10th Gear

If you are looking for performance then custom pipes to pure straight pipes is the best performance exhaust ever... Though is not legal in many states.

ATLP will give you performance? Yeah some perhaps SOME... But at 1K you are better off doing other mods because exhaust is the final performance mod in the list ATLP by itself could only gain 3-4HP at most.. Is the combination of all other mods that Add Up and for 1K you do Headers + CAI, Polish and Port or J37 manifold + Bigger TB.. IMHO 1K for a Catback is just way too much..

For pure legal performance exhaust you will need all custom pipe from 2.5" to 3" to some high flow magnaflows... Not the ATLP.
Since im in Cali im guessing it wont be legal then right?
And for the custom exhaust setup, how much will it cost in general? Cheaper than ATLP right?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM
10th Gear

eh... probably won't do much unless you have headers and test pipe to help bring down rasp.

the XLR8 HFCat would sort of act as a resonator so you should be fine without it.
I will get headers as well but i didnt know they had a test pipe for 2nd gen TL. Thought that was for the 3rd gen. Is the test pipe a resonator or cat converter? For the HFCat, I was going to get a Magnaflow one since the XLR8 isnt legal in Cali where I live. Btw, how many cats do this gen of TL have?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 PM

Since im in Cali im guessing it wont be legal then right?
And for the custom exhaust setup, how much will it cost in general? Cheaper than ATLP right?
It doesn't affect you since straight piping re-use your current flanges you just add 2 straight pipes.. When you are in for inspection just bolt on your mufflers and bamm! Your clear... Unless you welded the straight pipes :/ all in all my straight pipes cost me 70 bucks and the most expensive part where the DC Exhaust Tips...

I haven't been into inspection yet but I have the DC Sport headers which aren't CARB legal and still passed inspection. Remember the inspection just wants the smog check. I live in San Diego BTW so I know your pain.

Cops are the only ones bothering with CARB and sound but unless you WOT beside a cop car they won't notice you are lacking mufflers, the TL isn't a V8 with all the rumbling at idle.

Last edited by Skirmich; 07-29-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 AM
1999 4at

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
XLR8 has a test pipe for the 2nd gen. OBX RACING also makes one, which is built within a resonator (so im assuming the OBX one would be a bit quieter). a test pipe is not a resonator or a cat - it is a straight thru non-restricted flow piece of pipe & is 100% illegal in cali, yet with that said it is extremely easy to bolt on and off as necessary like when you wanna go to the track or just wanna switch back to your cat for your smog check. ... both the OBX & the XLR8 are direct fit bolt on, meaning you need no cutting, welding or modification in order to use them.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
I will get headers as well but i didnt know they had a test pipe for 2nd gen TL. Thought that was for the 3rd gen. Is the test pipe a resonator or cat converter? For the HFCat, I was going to get a Magnaflow one since the XLR8 isnt legal in Cali where I live. Btw, how many cats do this gen of TL have?
Don't headers in Cali have to be CARB legal? I know comptech were, but thought they were discontinued. I'm not sure a high flow cat would pass there either. The 2nd gen only have one cat after the headers.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gnuts
Don't headers in Cali have to be CARB legal? I know comptech were, but thought they were discontinued. I'm not sure a high flow cat would pass there either. The 2nd gen only have one cat after the headers.
Well yes for the headers they do but like Skirmich said I could probably get away with it. Magnaflow I'm pretty sure makes a 50 states legal HFCat. In fact, here's the one I was looking at: http://www.carid.com/2003-acura-tl-e...-22197183.html
Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by skwidstyle2
XLR8 has a test pipe for the 2nd gen. OBX RACING also makes one, which is built within a resonator (so im assuming the OBX one would be a bit quieter). a test pipe is not a resonator or a cat - it is a straight thru non-restricted flow piece of pipe & is 100% illegal in cali, yet with that said it is extremely easy to bolt on and off as necessary like when you wanna go to the track or just wanna switch back to your cat for your smog check. ... both the OBX & the XLR8 are direct fit bolt on, meaning you need no cutting, welding or modification in order to use them.
Ah ok thanks for clarifying that
Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 PM
3.5 psi

Get a 2.5" mandel bend exhaust and you'll be good. Get a nice big resonator and mufflers are preference.

Also get a defowler for your high flow cat to avoid an engine code. It just keeps the secondary O2 from thinking the cat is bad.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 PM
10th Gear

Get a 2.5" mandel bend exhaust and you'll be good. Get a nice big resonator and mufflers are preference.

Also get a defowler for your high flow cat to avoid an engine code. It just keeps the secondary O2 from thinking the cat is bad.
So when you say "get a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust" are you recommending I get a custom setup then for the exhaust? And what would you recommend for a resonator and mufflers in this case?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 AM
3.5 psi

Go custom, it'll be cheaper and just as good. The CL guys like the magnaflow 14832 mufflers and I'd get a 18 or 24 in resonator.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i just recently replaced my mufflers with straight pipes on my tl. I have the rv6 j-pipe, no mid muffler, and a small Magnaflow resonator. cruising it sounds good but it drones badddd and if you wot its stupid loud so im wondering if i should either get a longer resonator, get a glass pack, or put a high flow muffler in place of the resonator
Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 PM
1999 4at

OP ... "custom" is somewhat misleading, as it is actually way cheaper than it sounds. you buy your mendrel bends & piping off of ebay - you shouldnt spend more than like 40-80 bucks, then you buy your mufflers of choice. for me it was borla xr-1's which is my preference & they were 130 each. then any decent shop should charge you no more than around 100 to weld up your piping & mandrel bends to your mufflers & ... voila you officially have a setup just as if not more efficient performance wise than a $600-1000 catback & will sound just as good or better depending on your taste for sound
Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 AM
10th Gear

It doesn't affect you since straight piping re-use your current flanges you just add 2 straight pipes.. When you are in for inspection just bolt on your mufflers and bamm! Your clear... Unless you welded the straight pipes :/ all in all my straight pipes cost me 70 bucks and the most expensive part where the DC Exhaust Tips...

I haven't been into inspection yet but I have the DC Sport headers which aren't CARB legal and still passed inspection. Remember the inspection just wants the smog check. I live in San Diego BTW so I know your pain.

Cops are the only ones bothering with CARB and sound but unless you WOT beside a cop car they won't notice you are lacking mufflers, the TL isn't a V8 with all the rumbling at idle.
Go custom, it'll be cheaper and just as good. The CL guys like the magnaflow 14832 mufflers and I'd get a 18 or 24 in resonator.
Originally Posted by skwidstyle2
OP ... "custom" is somewhat misleading, as it is actually way cheaper than it sounds. you buy your mendrel bends & piping off of ebay - you shouldnt spend more than like 40-80 bucks, then you buy your mufflers of choice. for me it was borla xr-1's which is my preference & they were 130 each. then any decent shop should charge you no more than around 100 to weld up your piping & mandrel bends to your mufflers & ... voila you officially have a setup just as if not more efficient performance wise than a $600-1000 catback & will sound just as good or better depending on your taste for sound
You know what guys, I've decided to do open headers. Nah jk haha. But really I think I'm convinced that I should do a custom setup instead of Atlp even though I would be willing to save up for the Atlp. If only I could just get the mufflers for it...then do everything else custom.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
A decent shop with mandrel bender and good welder is going to charge a lot more than 100 dollars. 100 gets you pinched bends and crap welds. Get the ATLP it will show up ready to bolt on with no issues and look way better.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Shadowt, where in Socal are you?
Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 PM
1999 4at

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
A decent shop with mandrel bender and good welder is going to charge a lot more than 100 dollars. 100 gets you pinched bends and crap welds. ...
yup ... you're exactly right ... since not many shops have a mandrel bending machine, i purchased my mandrel bends from ebay, & then had the shop just do the welding, which is exactly what i suggested to the OP.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
A decent shop with mandrel bender and good welder is going to charge a lot more than 100 dollars. 100 gets you pinched bends and crap welds. Get the ATLP it will show up ready to bolt on with no issues and look way better.

Indeed but a Decent shop wont make a Mandrel Bent Catback for more than a 100dollars "Talk about 500 and up".

My straight pipes aren't Mandrel Bent but then again why bother, They just continue from the Stock Y-Pipe and are 2.5".. And FYI it has been proved day and night that non mandrel bent vs mandrel bent are so close together in performance that Mandrel Bent isn't worth the Extra $$$ they just look better.. Performance wise? Unless you are using a smaller diameter pipe you wont see anything bad performance wise with an ugly bent.. Guaranteed its all about flow and both have stupid high turbulence. Its the upper size diameter pipe that does the wonders, not the super smooth yet stupid expensive bent.

In summary:
All types of bents create Turbulence either mandrel or not mandrel... Both "Bents" are wrong.. In Wonderland you all want is a "STRAIGHT" Pipe for maximum Air-flow, We know that isn't gonna happend...

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-02-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Indeed but a Decent shop wont make a Mandrel Bent Catback for more than a 100dollars "Talk about 500 and up".

My straight pipes aren't Mandrel Bent but then again why bother, They just continue from the Stock Y-Pipe and are 2.5".. And FYI it has been proved day and night that non mandrel bent vs mandrel bent are so close together in performance that Mandrel Bent isn't worth the Extra $$$ they just look better.. Performance wise? Unless you are using a smaller diameter pipe you wont see anything bad performance wise with an ugly bent.. Guaranteed its all about flow and both have stupid high turbulence. Its the upper size diameter pipe that does the wonders, not the super smooth yet stupid expensive bent.

In summary:
All types of bents create Turbulence either mandrel or not mandrel... Both "Bents" are wrong.. In Wonderland you all want is a "STRAIGHT" Pipe for maximum Air-flow, We know that isn't gonna happend...
In all my days modding and building I can tell you there is a difference between the 2. I've seen a 10 hp difference between the 2 with both having the exact same 2.5" piping. (On a dyno, not the tl)

These motors love and need to breath. Every little bit helps. Why do you think these motors respond so well with 3" exhaust and 76+ mm throttle bodies
Old 08-03-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
In all my days modding and building I can tell you there is a difference between the 2. I've seen a 10 hp difference between the 2 with both having the exact same 2.5" piping. (On a dyno, not the tl)

These motors love and need to breath. Every little bit helps. Why do you think these motors respond so well with 3" exhaust and 76+ mm throttle bodies

The Mandrel Bent doesn't offset the high $$$ up in price just for a couple of HP more than a Non-Mandrel Bent..

IMO Mandrel Bent its the worst HPxDollar ratio performance Mod ever... An ugly Bent will do the trick just fine and save you Hundreds of dollars and both are proven to create turbulence so the 10HP? well we know there can be a lot of variables its not 25-30hp so be sure that was the only difference.

Point is: Not to diss Non-Mandrel Bents just because the Internet say so.. Myself personally have seen an SRT4 going from 3" Ugly Bents to 3" Mandrels and seen only a 3whp Gain.. He laid out almost 700bucks to redo his piping just because the Internetz said it was going to be "Night and Day difference". Anyone coming from Stock Piping will se gains upping up the Exhaust Diameter..

I quoted a shop to do a Mandrel Bent full Catback.. It was going to cost +1K!!!! If I already had a non-Mandrel Bent Custom Cat-back do you think I was going to see anything more than 3-4HP by paying 1K?? Not in this world, 3-4HP is a clogged Air Filter.

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-03-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Dunno why Acurazine double spaces?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:58 PM
10th Gear

Shadowt, where in Socal are you?
I'm actually in San Jose which is in the Bay Area. Don't think that's considered SoCal tho. Why?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

booo.. would've suggested an exhaust shop.. should check with the regional norcal section to see if they have an exhaust shop you can go to.. unless you already have your own preference.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM
1999 4at

... i have absolutely no idea why anybody on a budget, which seems to be most of us, would even think about looking for a shop with a mandrel bending machine & asking them how much for a mandrel bend exhaust system vs. sourcing out your own pre-mandrel bent piping (ebay, amazon, summit racing, etc...) & then just having a shop weld your system up. you can find any degree mandrel bend any diameter any thickness you like for no more than 15-40 bucks. 1k for a catback on our cars pretty darn basic design? that's f&&k*n ridiculous to say the least. and for all you know they are using some pre-made bends they have stashed in the back that they bought in bulk & paid $10 a piece for (which actually would be of no less quality than ones made from their in-shop mandrel machine)
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM

^ Some of us just want to see the world burn.....

Hahaha jk I'm not the stash kind of guy since my garage is pretty basic.. The stupid AV6 trans is already taking too much space hence "The Wife".... A custom made Catback doesn't take any extra space since I would install it in place (shop) or ASAP like the APEXi and the stockie goes to recycling station the next day..
Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 PM
3.5 psi

The problem is what degree bends do we need and how many?
Old 08-05-2014, 01:28 PM
10th Gear

Btw if anyone lives or knows of any good exhaust shops in my area let me know.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 AM
1999 4at

The problem is what degree bends do we need and how many?
well its not much of a problem at all ... & it depends on how you want your layout to be, but it should be very basic. any decent exhaust shop will jack up your car for free so you can look at it together, take some quick measurements & decide where you want your bends to be & whether or not you want some 45's or 90's. you should need no more than 4 45's (or 90's) - 2 for each side/muffler or tips. whatever length of piping from the catback to where you need to install your 1st bends to start direction towards each muffler/tip, then a little piping & then your 2nd bends to a little more piping to the mufflers/tips. 45's will be more efficient but hey maybe some people want the 2 90's for whatever reason - to each their own style. but i stress that the layout of our exhaust from the catback is very simple compared to alot of other cars.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:17 PM
10th Gear

Just wanted to thank you guys for your input and support into this topic. I will let you guys know my new setup when I have time and money. Hopefully it won't be too long before that happens.