2015 Acura TLX vs 2015 Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
The brand bashing of Hyundai and to a extent Acura only happens on forums and is pretty pathetic overall.

Do you people seriously think someone driving a 528I little 4 Cyl car will look over at the brand new TLX and be like 'DAMN YOU POOR SON'.

Stop living in fantasy Worlds.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottLong

For you to say that 'rich people' feel the need to show off their wealth in cars is absurdity. And it makes me think you have not been around that many people with money.

I'm not saying rich people will go from a 80,000 dollar car to a economy car...but there are a lot of people in the GS/5/A6/E CLASS range who would seriously look at the Genesis Sedan.
+1

From the tone of the comments in many of these posts you can easily understand that the authors do not know many people with significant financial means....I do, unfortunately not because I'm one of them but because of my wife job...and I'm talking about serious money......in many cases private jet level of money.

First of all, you cannot clump together "rich people" in the same slot...there are a lot of differences, often even depending on their geographical location....for example a rich Seattleite can be very different than a rich Angelinos.....
Old 11-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
The brand bashing of Hyundai and to a extent Acura only happens on forums and is pretty pathetic overall.

Do you people seriously think someone driving a 528I little 4 Cyl car will look over at the brand new TLX and be like 'DAMN YOU POOR SON'.

Scott, what I find truly fascinating, having grew up in Europe and visiting on average once a year, is the fact that American car enthusiasts tend to put BMW, Audi and Mercedes on higher pedestal compared to the Europeans......in Europe...these cars in that continent are very popular company cars, taxis, no standard leather etc....you won't believe what level of bare bone 5 Series you can buy in Germany....even steel rims.

Conversely, Europeans often dream of our muscle cars (running cost for these kind of engines are prohibitive over there and even the purchase price is high).....a Mustang GT in Milan will turn heads almost the same as a Lamborghini.

Some of my European friends cannot believe that some American may prefer a BMW 428 to a Mustang GT or a Camaro, etc.....

It is all about price and marketing to create the perception in people's head...the good old "grass is greener over there" syndrome.
The following 2 users liked this post by saturno_v:
4WDrift (11-23-2014), weather (11-22-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by CARLOS10
Crap story. These stories abound 5 years ago during Hyundai honeymoon.
Nobody who can afford a Rolex end up with a Timex , nobody who can afford
a 5th avenue penthouse buy a house at Harlem.
Another fact rich people dont take a purchase decision so quickly much less
when that mean a status downgrade. And Cars are the status king.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Scott....
You haven't met Scott before, he's our resident kindergartner. He's older than the other kids, but that doesn't hold him back from exploring the world through his mom's smartphone.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
I recall years ago an interview with a Hyundai executive that said exactly this.....they do not aim to turn around so much current luxury buyers already set in their own way...they hope to build brand credibility and status with the younger crowd as they grow...
Egg. Zactly. This has been my point all along. Perception = reality. I grew up when Honda's and Toyota's were the best cars and Hyundai was crap. I realize that that's no longer the case but the bias still exists. I submit that it still exists in many people my age as well.

Scott - if you read the posts I think you'll see that nobody is bashing Hyundai. Quite the contrary - I think we all agree they make good cars today and the Genesis (based on reviews) is a very nice car.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Who are you to say what's what? I grew up in San Marino and is attending a University with rich kids. I know at least 5 different families within my parents circles that could easily drive a LS or a 7 Series. They are driving the Infiniti M37, the C250, and Acura MDX.

For you to say that 'rich people' feel the need to show off their wealth in cars is absurdity. And it makes me think you have not been around that many people with money.

I'm not saying rich people will go from a 80,000 dollar car to a economy car...but there are a lot of people in the GS/5/A6/E CLASS range who would seriously look at the Genesis Sedan.
Well, i worked close to soon to be drafted baseball player , and nobody was
wishing a Hyundai with his bonus. All the talk was about Mercedes, BMW , Land Rover, Lexus. Koreans sense luxury like a lot of content for less money,
it work at a price range 15k to 25K , but when you move upward saving isnt
a issue.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Who are you to say what's what? I grew up in San Marino and is attending a University with rich kids. I know at least 5 different families within my parents circles that could easily drive a LS or a 7 Series. They are driving the Infiniti M37, the C250, and Acura MDX.

Exactly! Because smart rich people still like nice things without having to shell out a fortune and then use the money they saved on investing and making even more money, while having something that is still nice, like an M37, etc.

Those who bought the uber expensive toys- good for them, if they can afford it. Doesn't mean it's the smartest way to spend money on a very quickly depreciating asset.

They'll be spending even more if they keep that car more than five years (which many of the wealthy people I know do, because they don't tie up their money in things that lose value like crazy), as opposed to the Genesis owners who can take a trip to their local Hyundai dealership and get parts at a fraction of what they would pay for other brands. And I'm not saying they buy parts and do the work themselves. Even if labor is still the same price between brands, you can save a shit ton of money not buying Luxo brand parts.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Just a few points to annoy the brake trolls.

I don't wear a watch, my phone tells me the time well enough.

People buy Lambos & Ferraris because they can. To them its just fun time money while for the average person its the new house. Totally different points of reference.

The Genesis is one full generation away from a breakout similar to the one Lexus made back in the day that Infiniti was not able to make. I handicapped that one wrong but think I am right this time because of their senior personnel hires & Hyundai's financial muscle.

Acura has walked away from the sporting driver to generate highly increased sales on what might have been a limited development budget. Will current sales generate capital for a future return with a TYPE-S product? The jury is out. They might not need the sports anymore.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Just a few points to annoy the brake trolls.

I don't wear a watch, my phone tells me the time well enough.

People buy Lambos & Ferraris because they can. To them its just fun time money while for the average person its the new house. Totally different points of reference.

The Genesis is one full generation away from a breakout similar to the one Lexus made back in the day that Infiniti was not able to make. I handicapped that one wrong but think I am right this time because of their senior personnel hires & Hyundai's financial muscle.

Acura has walked away from the sporting driver to generate highly increased sales on what might have been a limited development budget. Will current sales generate capital for a future return with a TYPE-S product? The jury is out. They might not need the sports anymore.
Speaking of brake trolls, or rather, trolls in general... How nice that you have it ALL figured out about what Acura is doing and will do.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 11-21-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 PM

Type-POS
Old 11-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
They're making an Acura minivan... quality isn't their biggest issue.
Agreed! Just when I thought Acura was waking up I saw that article. A freakin minivan, really? Either they discovered a demo that no one else taped or they are out of ideas and lost for sure.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:17 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Agreed! Just when I thought Acura was waking up I saw that article. A freakin minivan, really? Either they discovered a demo that no one else taped or they are out of ideas and lost for sure.
Actually one of the Acura guys already squashed that rumour on twitter - it turns out there will be no Acura MiniVan.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Speaking of brake trolls, or rather, trolls in general... How nice that you have it ALL figured out about what Acura is doing and will do.
Just an observation on the evolution of the generations. 3G one of the best performing sedans in the class hands down. Since then "smart luxury" is declared by Acura management.

TLX has tested as an average performer with no basic performance options, transmissions, tires, brakes or increased horsepower available.

Now I understand that many of the current board members are perfectly happy with the current product but to those who are more performance oriented its a shame to see them walk away from what they had.

Both the best performing & best selling car in the class.
The following users liked this post:
Majofo (11-23-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I've been following the new Genesis with great interest since it came out. I've studied all the reviews, sat in a couple of them, and was ready to start taking test drives. Even though I was extremely impressed, something just didn't feel right to me. Then it dawned on me that it is a big, heavy car.

We like smaller, "sporty" cars and I have a older Lexus IS250 (to be replaced), a Mazda Miata (replaced my bikes as I got older), and my wife has A Cadillac ATS 2.0T which she loves. So even though the Genesis V6 is one super value (IMO), it just doesn't seem to fit the bill for us and I got serious about checking out the TLX I4.

Some comparisons of Gen V6 to TLX I4 that come to mind (again, my opinions):
EXTERIOR DESIGN: Genesis has the edge
INTERIOR DESIGN: Push
INTERIOR MATERIALS: Genesis has the edge
FIT AND FINISH: Push
RIDE COMFORT: Push
QUIETNESS: Push
HANDLING: TLX is more nimble
INTERIOR/TRUNK VOLUME: Genesis is much larger
ACCELERATION: Genesis has the edge
PRICE: Genesis about $7K more
FEATURES: TLX has the edge (dollar for dollar)
GAS MILEAGE: TLX has a big edge
EXPECTED RELIABILITY: TLX has the edge
DEALER EXPERIENCE: TLX has the edge

To be honest, if we wanted a large comfortable highway cruiser, and we often had back seat passengers and a lot of gear, I'd buy the Genesis right now and probably not seriously consider the TLX. The badge thing means very little to us, and many of our friends and relatives have Hyundai's. They have a pretty darn good reputation here in southern California.

But for us, it's just a bit too large and heavy, and the TLX I4 comes much closer to meeting all of our requirements at a very good price.

Sorry about the long post, but I was really impressed with the new generation Genesis, and just wanted to put in my
The following 3 users liked this post by wlkeel:
4WDrift (11-23-2014), ggesq (11-22-2014), Stew4HD (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Actually one of the Acura guys already squashed that rumour on twitter - it turns out there will be no Acura MiniVan.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 AM

I guess they just put a beak on it and badge to fool Ody owners..

Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wlkeel

GAS MILEAGE: TLX has a big edge

EXPECTED RELIABILITY: TLX has the edge
As far as gas mileage goes, how much different is it? This edge you speak of I bet is probably fairly small.

As far as reliability, you think a first production year of a new model, by a brand that has had slumping reliability from what it once was, two decades ago has the edge? I think the reliability goes to Hyundai on this one for sure.

HOWEVER, I think the TLX may have the upper hand on resale value over the Genesis.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
I guess they just put a beak on it and badge to fool Ody owners..
Actually, they did. Currently it's a Frankenstein car made up of random parts. I bet they're testing new tech. This isn't the first time honda has done something like that.

I'm willing to bet my left nut that there is NO way Acura is releasing a mini van.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
As far as gas mileage goes, how much different is it? This edge you speak of I bet is probably fairly small.

As far as reliability, you think a first production year of a new model, by a brand that has had slumping reliability from what it once was, two decades ago has the edge? I think the reliability goes to Hyundai on this one for sure.

HOWEVER, I think the TLX may have the upper hand on resale value over the Genesis.
Here is the rated mileage for both cars?

Genesis FWD 3.8

City/hiway/combined = 18 / 29 / 22

What slumping reliability are talking about? Acura is still rated very high, as it has been for many years.

TLX 3.5
City/hiway/combined = 21 / 34 / 25
Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

I was asking about fuel economy as I didn't know what it was and I suspected that overall it wasn't all that different, as is usually the case. Clearly I was wrong on that. Point goes to you, sir.

What is your reliability assessment based on? Those "initial quality" tests aren't worth a can of beans. Not sure how JD Power or Consumer Reports can determine reliability on a 2014 model year when it is 2014.

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-23-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

recent history. Just because the TLX is a first year does not mean there will be any reliability issues, based on Acura's recent past
Old 11-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

recent history. Just because the TLX is a first year does not mean there will be any reliability issues, based on Acura's recent past
Recent history with what? Your own experiences? That's not a very big sample to be pulling from. First year models are always having more issues than the later ones for any generation of car. Always.

First 6 months of ownership is not necessarily any indication of what the 5 year reliability is. Come back then and let's talk about reliability.

Looking at the 3G TL, since when does having to replace engine mounts, bushings, sway bar endlinks, failing stereo, failing navigation, failing Bluetooth, failing transmissions, etc, count as regular maintenance items? Some of this was happening on cars that were just over 3 years old. I can't speak for the 4G as I can't stand that car and don't follow it at all, but the 3G was produced as recently as 6 years ago.

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-23-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Recent history with what? Your own experiences? That's not a very big sample to be pulling from. First year models are always having more issues than the later ones for any generation of car. Always.

First 6 months of ownership is not necessarily any indication of what the 5 year reliability is. Come back then and let's talk about reliability.

Looking at the 3G TL, since when does having to replace engine mounts, bushings, sway bar endlinks, failing stereo, failing navigation, failing Bluetooth, failing transmissions, etc, count as regular maintenance items? Some of this was happening on cars that were just over 3 years old. I can't speak for the 4G as I can't stand that car and don't follow it at all, but the 3G was produced as recently as 6 years ago.
Wow, talking to brick walls is a waste of time.. Go buy a Genesis, ciao
Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 PM

Actually, they did. Currently it's a Frankenstein car made up of random parts. I bet they're testing new tech. This isn't the first time honda has done something like that.

I'm willing to bet my left nut that there is NO way Acura is releasing a mini van.
We're talking about the same company that came up with the 4G TL design and released the ZDX, yes?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 PM

Wow, talking to brick walls is a waste of time..
Old 11-23-2014, 09:04 PM

Here is the rated mileage for both cars?

Genesis FWD 3.8
City/hiway/combined = 18 / 29 / 22

TLX 3.5
City/hiway/combined = 21 / 34 / 25
Wow.. the car with the larger engine and better tires is less efficient.. Shocking.

Also.. the genesis is RWD.. and has a coupe and 5.0L V8 flavor. Fuck fuel economy.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:28 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Well, when I did some research prior to my TLX purchase, I did look at a number of different autos that came up in comparison. The Genesis was one of them and I did configure it on Hyundai's website. I was surprised how well appointed it could be made.

I've never considered Hyundai a "mature" auto manufacturer in this country and so the market name isn't really synonymous with anything in particular in my mind. While the company does do its fair share of advertising, I just feel like they haven't excelled at anything in particular. I think their most notable contribution is their rather progressive body designs in the Sonata which at that time, made Honda/Toyota give pause and rethink the Camry/Accord's conservative leaning lines of their last generation. I speculate if the company would benefit by a Premium moniker like Lexus or Acura, so it can distance itself and create a line of distinction from its roots.

The nagging feeling that makes me shy away from the brand is primarily its reliability. The 2014 JD power VDS places the company in the bottom 5. Having witnessed a family member's problems with their 2013 Sonata: New transmission in <6000 miles, stabilizer bar came unbolted at 1,000 miles on one side and tore up the underside of the vehicle, and the moon roof exploded while on the Interstate (yes, it literally exploded, fragments of glass facing skyward, google it.) I just can't bring myself to seriously consider the brand, especially at the 50k price point, when there are established, more reliable manufacturers.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:52 PM

Every car has it's issues, including Acura. But Hyundai has the best warranty in the business. 10 yr / 100k powertrain, 5 yr / 60k bumper to bumper, 7 yr / unl mile perforation, lifetime hybrid battery. Buy a two year old Genny 5.0 R-spec for 30k with less than 20k miles. profit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-24-2014), Monte TLS,MAX (11-24-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
The great Hyundai warranty is not transferable. It's only for the original owner.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
The great Hyundai warranty is not transferable. It's only for the original owner.
And there are some exceptions to the 5yr/60K Limited Warranty:

3yr/36K on the radio and audio systems (incl NAV, DVD, Bluetooth)
3/36 on paint
3 yrs on battery
1 yr on adjustments
1 yr on AC refrigerant charge

The biggie appears to be the infotainment - when I was frequenting the Genesis forum, I noticed that many bought the extended warranty to cover this.

Overall, Hyundai still has a pretty darn good warranty policy.