2014 New York International Auto Show

Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
2014 New York International Auto Show

Since I wanted to see the TLX in person, I headed to NYC over the weekend to check out the New York International Auto Show. It was a hugely crowded show so I am glad I got an early start and was able to spend the time with quite a few cars. My thoughts on the TLX are already covered in this post, and you can go there to get the link to my photos of the TLX, including a number of interior shots that are exclusive to AcuraZine.

For the other cars, I covered a number of cars in my latest blog entry. There, you will also be able to get to the full gallery of photos I took at the show. I also spent some time in a few other cars and what follows are some of my thoughts on those cars, in no particular order.

Buick Regal GS
The interior materials on this car are terrible. So much hard plastic everywhere, and cheap looking dash coverings. I am sure the car drives great, but at $40k+ for one of these, I was expecting more. At least the back seat is decently sized.

Audi S3/A3 Sportback TDI
The TDI car looks great on the outside, but I am disappointed with the interior. It costs about the same as the MB CLA-class, but the quality of the interior materials is even worse than what is used in the CLA. I understand the need to hit a price point, but somehow the use of hard plastics and way too much cheap looking material just makes cars in this class feel like they are not worth the upgrade over their non-premium brand platform mates. That said, the S3 specs read like they will be a blast to drive.

Koenigsegg AgeraR
Drool!

Lexus RC-F
Still not sure I like that overall look, but it is hard to deny that the car has presence and will likely be well received. It is the first more mainstream coupe that Lexus has done since getting rid of the SC, so this seems like a great effort.

Ford Mustang
I really like this new Mustang. It is sleek and this special 50th anniversary edition adds so many cool heritage cues and would be a great collectable car.

WRX STi
It is a huge improvement on the inside from the previous generation car and would make for a much better daily driven rally racer. I am looking forward to tracking one down for a test drive sometime this year.

Maserati Ghbili
I want to like this car, but there are some serious build quality issues to address. The interior fit and finish varies so broadly between high quality hand-stitched leather and really cheap feeling plastics. The doors sound terribly tinny when they shut. Still, it is a gorgeous car and I look forward to getting my hands on one for a test drive.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing
Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 5,289 Likes on 3,623 Posts
Saw a Ghibli Sunday, fantastic looking car, IMO, better than the Quattroporte.

Also, as usual, thanks for the post & photos.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Saw a Ghibli Sunday, fantastic looking car, IMO, better than the Quattroporte.
Agreed.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Thanks for the photos and reviews. Really interesting on the Audi S3 interior quality since Audi interiors are usually amazing, but I guess like you said they have to hit a price point to make the S3 possible.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Thanks for the photos and reviews. Really interesting on the Audi S3 interior quality since Audi interiors are usually amazing, but I guess like you said they have to hit a price point to make the S3 possible.
If he hasn't sat in a Golf or a previous A3 it might be just he expected better than that class has at this point. I dunno.

I'm really curious about the Mustang.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
If he hasn't sat in a Golf or a previous A3 it might be just he expected better than that class has at this point. I dunno.

I'm really curious about the Mustang.
Actually, I have driven the last gen A3 and, while the materials were similar, the design hid the fact that the materials were not as nice. On the GTI, I can excuse it because it costs about $5k less on average than the A3.

The problem is that the new A3's interior design puts so much of the crappy drug-store toy plastic front and center that it is impossible to ignore. It is all the same shade of matte finish off-black, devoid of any texture, and just looks and feels terrible.