Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

USA Inc.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
USA Inc.

If you Google USAinc you should find a link to: http://s3.amazonaws.com/kpcbweb/files/USA_Inc.pdf

This link contains a PDF report that evaluates the U.S. as though it's a company. The report will surprise you if you haven't seen it before. The report is long but very well written. Page 25 has some high-level thoughts that we're used in an earlier thread about strategic defaulting of real estate.

The US has the followoing issues with it's income and balance sheet:
1. cash flow has been negative for last 9 years- imagine what happens to a company stock when this happens (and yet U.S. bond prices are at record highs)

2. Net Worth has been negative for a long time (I'm not sure of this since National parks would be worth a lot)

3. It would take 20 years of income to pay off existing debt- assuming there is no additional debt. (This is a fat chance since the U.S. is about to hit yet another debt limit in December on excess spending and can't agree to spending cuts)

Items #2 & #3 was the rational for strategic defaulting on one's house because it was going to take too long to acquire equity. Yet the U.S. has similar issues but an even longer break even time.

Makes me wonder how long things can continue. The report has some great suggestions for digging the country out of this hole in the pages of what a 'Turnaround Expert Consider' chapter.
The following 3 users liked this post by LaCostaRacer:
Legend2TL (08-17-2012), speedemon90 (08-04-2012), YeuEmMaiMai (08-19-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Face it, in our lifetime the US wont get out of debt. but hopefully we get to a point where we lessen it.

GOnna read it later since you said its a long read, dont have time right now.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:32 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Makes me wonder how long things can continue. The report has some great suggestions for digging the country out of this hole in the pages of what a 'Turnaround Expert Consider' chapter.
Ancient racer.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=10

But NuttyPro says the USA is running a perfect ponzi scheme.

Hey now, hey now, don't dream its over...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:35 AM
I feel the need...

Blink! U.S. Debt Just Grew by $11 Trillion

Republicans and Democrats spent last summer battling how best to save $2.1 trillion over the next decade. They are spending this summer battling how best to not save $2.1 trillion over the next decade.

In the course of that year, the U.S. government’s fiscal gap -- the true measure of the nation’s indebtedness -- rose by $11 trillion.

The fiscal gap is the present value difference between projected future spending and revenue. It captures all government liabilities, whether they are official obligations to service Treasury bonds or unofficial commitments, such as paying for food stamps or buying drones.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...-trillion.html
Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Drifting

Sorry Fib- definitely a repost. I had a lot of 'search related' problems last week with Acurazine. Anyway, it's a good read and definitely timely for the coming election.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 AM
I feel the need...

Sorry Fib- definitely a repost.
No apology needed, its worthy of a repost.

Anyway, it's a good read and definitely timely for the coming election.
The avg American senses something is amiss but remains blissfully ignorant of the nitty gritty details. I really don't see much changing in the near future since we haven't touched crisis mode yet and our funding costs are lower than ever. Republicans don't want to increase taxes and Democrats don't want to reduce spending. The answer lies somewhere in the middle. Anyone with a brain and a conscience understands we're on an unsustainable path.

"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities." ~ Winston Churchill

We just haven't exhausted all the crappy options yet.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ I fear the "crisis mode" will come on so suddenly that we will be like the PIIGS, and it will be too late.

Credit markets are going to abandon the U.S. in a few years if we can't get our house in order.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Drifting

I think it will be worse than the PIIGS because many countries invest in U.S. Treasuries.- where as how many counties actually buy PIIGS related bonds- a much smaller market.

Many retirement funds invest in treasuries as well- I'm thinking of those 20xx life-style funds in particular. It will be a bloody mess if the house of cards falls.

Perhaps the cool-aid is wearing off now...

I'm seeing some new found strength in the metals (gold/silver) and u.s. bonds are starting to show signs of weakness. Three consecutive days of significant bond weakness- haven't seen that in a long time. The 50 day EMA of 15.55 was penetrated with the TBT (16.60) on high volume- next stop up is $18.50.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I feel the need...

Niall Ferguson: Obama’s Gotta Go

Perhaps the cool-aid is wearing off now...
:hope: :change:

.....The voters now face a stark choice. They can let Barack Obama’s rambling, solipsistic narrative continue until they find themselves living in some American version of Europe, with low growth, high unemployment, even higher debt—and real geopolitical decline.....
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...eds-to-go.html
Old 08-19-2012, 07:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Niall Ferguson: Questionble Opinions

In May 2009, Ferguson became involved in a high-profile exchange of views with economist Paul Krugman (winner in 2008 of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics) arising out of a panel discussion hosted by Pen/New York Review on 30 April 2009, regarding the U.S. economy. Ferguson contended that the Obama administration's policies are simultaneously Keynesian and monetarist, in an incoherent mix, and specifically that the government's issuance of a multitude of new bonds will cause an increase in interest rates. Krugman then extended the criticism to China and the European Union, as both pursued policies more in accord with Ferguson's stance than Krugman's.[55][56][57][58]

Krugman argued that Ferguson's view is "resurrecting 75-year old fallacies" and full of "basic errors". He also stated that Ferguson is a "poseur" who "hasn't bothered to understand the basics, relying on snide comments and surface cleverness to convey the impression of wisdom. It's all style, no comprehension of substance."[59][60][61][62]

In 2012, Jonathan Portes, the Director of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, noted that subsequent events had shown Ferguson to be wrong: "As we all know, since then both the US and UK have had deficits running at historically extremely high levels, and long-term interest rates at historic lows: as Krugman has repeatedly pointed out, the (IS-LM) textbook has been spot on."[63]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_F...s_with_Krugman