tranny slip

Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny slip

For my 97 3.0cl i put in lucas transmission fix fluid.
im hoping it works at least a bit..
Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

this morning the transmission was doing its thing, then all of a sudden THUNK it was acting up.
Shifting very hard and shifting in random RPMs between 3-4K RPM
It was like i was anticipating my car to shift like it normally would at 2-3.5k RPM then this hard shifting starting ocuring throughout every gear.
I pulled over to check connections, still no solution.
I had to drive the car to the shop, shifting manually from gear 1 to 2 throughout the street lights of Vancouver (hate lights).
Even manually shifting from 1 - 2 at about 3-4 RPM it is pretty rough.

2 years ago i had a problem where the car would not shift under 4-5 RPM with unsettling gear engagement and it turned out that the throttle body was toast and had it replaced and it worked..
The mechanic at the transmission shop had told me that the transmission went in to backup mode where the lines were pressured up and the clutch plates were rubbing very hard.
He said this was to eliminate some problems that could damage it too much past that point where its already got problems.

Im hoping its not internal. because a throttle body is gonna take at least a month to bring in from Ontario. Damn East coast.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Instructor

So are you saying the Lucas Treatment Fix made it worse?

Did you drain an equal amount of ATF first?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Instructor

I'm in Vancouver too and am thinking about adding some of this stuff after draining an equal amount of ATF, as i know its at the level its supposed to be.

I only have slipping issues when the engine is cold, and it gets better after driving around for a bit and letting the car warm up.

I've seen the other suggestion is adding a tranny fluid cooler..
To everyone else, do i need a cooler when my prob seems to be related to cold tranny vs a warm one?
Stupid question i know, but maybe im missing something here..
Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 AM
Intermediate

i dont think the lucas made the transmission any worse and i totally drained and added this stuff in with the new fluid according to the instructions, half a bottle.

The transmission i believe got worse because of the problem, Something in the tranny is binding and when it shifts hard, this is because of the rigid binding and separating between the plates or the gears maybe. The guy at the tranny shop gave me a few options to consider.

This lucas stuff will not fix a physical problem with the tranny, such as solenoid problem, pressure problems, or anything like that, this stuff is made to smooth en out the shifting of a properly working tranny.

Does anyone know if the Intake manifold gasket to take the manifold off is the top gasket set or the bottom? the "manifold" that the throttle body connects with?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

I brought my car into a tranny shop, they were very honest.
i had my Linear pressure solenoid replaced because the one that was in my car had silicone sealing up where it was "fixed."
I dont know what they were doing but it was faulty and causing the very hard shifting because no fluid was flowing and there was very high pressure.

the car runs like it did before these problems.

I have another question, When u are at a complete stop and you then put the car into gear 2 (manual gear) for an automatic transmission 3L, does the car jerk a bit like its almost double activating a gear or something like it takes a slight second and then it roughs it into 2nd gear. This does not affect the car when its driving in D3 or D4.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Intermediate

That clunking shifting is gone but the tranny still slips going into 3rd gear.
When it shifts into third, above 2500 rpm the tranny will slip and rpms go up 200 - 500 rpm more before it actually shifts into third ( this is when the car actually engages into third)

When i drive the car and it shifts under 2500 it shifts fine. I still think a rebuild is in the picture soon.

Im hoping for some miracle that cleaning the egr will help hahahah good luck!!!

Thanks