Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Acura or Lexus, which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Acura or Lexus, which one to get?

I'll be in the market soon, my 04 Tl just hit 137k, at 150k I'll make a choice between a 2014 TL, or a IS350 or possibly a GS 350. I'm currently working for a Lexus dealership, but after seeing the long term wear on 5 year old Lexus interior/paint, I can tell you that my Acura is wearing better than most Lexus interior. Aside from my dashboard cracking at 60k, replaced under warranty, my TL is holding up very well. Since I purchase my cars and keep them for several years, I feel that Acura offers more bang for your buck. Durability seems better, of course taking into consideration of owner up keep. I hope that the 2014 TL looks good, if so I'm leaning towards Acura, despite being able to purchase a Lexus at a discount. Our Acuras are just as good if not better than the competition, including Lexus. I think I just made my decision, I'm hoping for a good looking TL body style.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
GS 350, never look back.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So depending on when you are ready the 2015 TLX might be your best choice. I have test driven the GS350 and while a nice car I am a bit skeptical of Lexus and their mouse like controller. I also do not like the center stack. Personally I love Acuras, just their styling has left a bit to be desired. But all my Acuras have been excellent cars. I just wish they would release the new TLX before the end of the year, as they have too much competition this year, new IS, Q50, ATS, the new ES, and MKZ. with TL and TSX sales in the tank they can't wait too long.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Instructor

I'm hoping for a better looking body style, no offense 4 gen owners, Acura has lost a lot of buyers because of it. But I'm A Honda guy, from my lawn mower, generator, MDX, TL, heck even my Seiko wath says Honda F1 on it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by consultauto
I'm hoping for a better looking body style, no offense 4 gen owners, Acura has lost a lot of buyers because of it. But I'm A Honda guy, from my lawn mower, generator, MDX, TL, heck even my Seiko wath says Honda F1 on it.
TL and TSX sales are starting to show it. January both were down big. If it were not for the MDX and RDX Acura dealerships might be as empty as Lincoln dealerships ;-)
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I saw the 2014 IS at the Houston Autoshow and I liked it. The grill takes a bit getting used to, but it looks okay in person. It has split folding rear seats which I want and the TLX is not likely to have. You can get cooled seats which again the TLX may not have unless I get the top line trim. But the 250 has the same old engine and tranny so no improvements there. Several inches longer and more rear leg room than the current IS.

We also drove the new Accord and I can understand why TSX and TL sales are tanking. If you are a 'Honda guy' and looking for a car the Accord gives the TSX and TL a run for its money at a lower price.

Acura needs to get the TLX out ASAP.

I also saw the new RLX and while it is a nice car, it just didn't do anything for me, especially at that price.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Thing on seats. Some are actually cooled other are simply ventilated with ambient air. You really need to unscramble the advertising claims to see which you are getting.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by consultauto
I'll be in the market soon, my 04 Tl just hit 137k, at 150k I'll make a choice between a 2014 TL, or a IS350 or possibly a GS 350. I'm currently working for a Lexus dealership, but after seeing the long term wear on 5 year old Lexus interior/paint, I can tell you that my Acura is wearing better than most Lexus interior. Aside from my dashboard cracking at 60k, replaced under warranty, my TL is holding up very well. Since I purchase my cars and keep them for several years, I feel that Acura offers more bang for your buck. Durability seems better, of course taking into consideration of owner up keep. I hope that the 2014 TL looks good, if so I'm leaning towards Acura, despite being able to purchase a Lexus at a discount. Our Acuras are just as good if not better than the competition, including Lexus. I think I just made my decision, I'm hoping for a good looking TL body style.
You really can't compare the TL to the IS350 because the IS is really small and the usefulness of the vehicles will be completely different. The IS is only 180 inches long with NO back seat and the TL is 194 and has tons of space. If size isn't an issue, then the IS is really a nice vehicle and should be given consideration. I also love the look of the new GS350, but for 55K no way!

Why don't you pick up a low mileage CPO 2012/13 SH AWD and save yourself over 20K? The TL is a damn nice vehicle and buying a CPO lets you get all the benefits without paying that premium price.

Last edited by NVMYT; 02-03-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by NVMYT
You really can't compare the TL to the IS350 because the IS is really small and the usefulness of the vehicles will be completely different. The IS is only 180 inches long with NO back seat and the TL is 194 and has tons of space. If size isn't an issue, then the IS is really a nice vehicle and should be given consideration. I also love the look of the new GS350, but for 55K no way!

Why don't you pick up a low mileage CPO 2012/13 SH AWD and save yourself over 20K? The TL is a damn nice vehicle and buying a CPO lets you get all the benefits without paying that premium price.
The new 2014 IS is about 4 inches longer and a lot of that space has gone into the rear seat. Yes it is smaller than the current TL. The TLX will be a bit smaller. The new IS will be about the size of the 1G TSX. Oh and it is rear wheel drive. Unfortunately they will have the same engines as last years model. I think the 350 gains an 8 speed tranny.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Thing on seats. Some are actually cooled other are simply ventilated with ambient air. You really need to unscramble the advertising claims to see which you are getting.
True... the current IS seats like the TL Advance seats are only ventilated. I'm not sure if the new IS will have ventilated or cooled. I test drove the new Avalon and it has cooled seats. When I first turned them on the air was ambient, then it got cold.... really cold. It would be nice to see these seats in the TLX.

edit: okay now I'm not sure if the Avalon seats are cooled or only ventilated. If only ventilated they do a damn good job.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 02-03-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
If the TLX is built on the current Accord platform, interior room will not be an issue. My wife's '13 Accord is a bit smaller than the '12 on the outside, but it is huge on the inside, especially the rear seat.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Instructor

The new accord looks great, my next door neighbor just bought one, but the warranty is for 3 years/ 36k miles, Acura is 4/50, better standard features etc. My three must haves are HID lights,bluetooth, heated seats and a decent sound system. Acura has that as standard equipment. Acura's interior are great, I just need the body style to look better.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
How soon do you need to buy a new car? Can you wait til the 2014 TLX comes out - and see what it looks like?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
True... the current IS seats like the TL Advance seats are only ventilated. I'm not sure if the new IS will have ventilated or cooled. I test drove the new Avalon and it has cooled seats. When I first turned them on the air was ambient, then it got cold.... really cold. It would be nice to see these seats in the TLX.

edit: okay now I'm not sure if the Avalon seats are cooled or only ventilated. If only ventilated they do a damn good job.
My Expedition has cooled seats & they get cold a lot faster then the rest of the car does. Its really noticeable on a hot summer day when the car has been sitting in the sun.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
another, "Should I buy the Acura or 8(@n&" thread.
They are both great options. One could argue a good case for either.
Honestly, with <150 posts in nine years I'm surprised that you have even checked back in on this thread.
But if you are already working at a Lexus dealership, why the hell would you by an Acura

Get the GS and STFU.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Instructor

"Mr. Marco" thanks for telling to shut the fuck up, really appreciate your contribution to my post, but since you are the type of person that hides behind the web posting counter productive and offensive garbage, i expect crap like this from a punk like you, in person you would'nt have the balls to say crap like that to me or to anybody else, I hope your cute little kids don't turn out like their punk ass father.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
This is a bit of a tough one, imo. If you want the IS, give it a few months & the new ones will be out. Or, act now whilst Lexus begins to discount the current gen. to move them. Comparatively, I much prefer my TL over the IS & see no reason to trade in for one. They feel more cramped all-around & the current technology doesn't seem to be anywhere above; it feels pretty equal really. The only thing I've liked in the IS is really the RWD, but for me, the car has to offer much more than just a different drivetrain & the TL already now has its own AWD model.

As for the GS, I'm not sure how to compare it to the TL with it starting at $10,000 more. Because to be quite honest, it feels like it's more of a car aiming for the German manufacturers. The quality in the new cars are just top notch, the technology features are superb & easy to use, and if you can spring for it, the F-Sport model is just all sorts of fun, esp. with the DRS option that will let the tail loose, whilst keeping you in control.

That said, I don't have much experience with the 4th Gen above the base model, but it just doesn't feel as fun to drive. The interior & techno goodies in are superb, but I love the layout Lexus designed much more. Perhaps the TL SH-AWD is a different breed from the FWD, but any day of the week, I'd probably go home in the GS-F.

The base GS would be a tough sale for me because I do like my TL-S having a more "sport-oriented" feel over it.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a 2013 TL SH-AWD not too long ago. Only a couple minor regrets:
  1. I wish the exterior body styling was a little better. Ironically, most people I see complain about the front. I like the front. I don't like the back.
  2. Fuel efficiency in the SH-AWD leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't buy the car hoping to hypermile, but I should be able to get better than 18-20 MPG average. I guess I knew this going in, but find myself constantly checking in on the fuel-efficiency each tank I get.
But I think for the price you pay, you get a lot of bang for your buck on the performance and interior of the TL. Toyota does a great job of marketing the Lexus. Honda, not so much with the Acura. However, that's one of the things that appeals to me with the TL. I don't like going to the store and seeing a parking lot full of my vehicle. It makes it more unique. I have an '08 MDX, instead of the RX, for the same reason. I don't think the GS is an accurate comparison. Also, I needed a car as my old one was dying. If I could have gotten another year out of it, I would have waited to see if the TLX comes out next year and what it may offer.

Last edited by lemme14; 02-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
OP,

Personally, I like IS, but I wont choose it over my TL. Lexus are nice, but I think they are a bit confused. The exterior looks like it is inspired by Audi, and the interior looks like its inspired by BMW. I would by an Audi if I want Audi-like exterior, or a BMW if I want BMW-like interior.

Of course the final decision is yours, but if I were you, I would wait and see what the 5G Acura TL has to offer and then go from there.

Just my 2 cents.

Mr Marco,
Your response to OP was absolutely uncalled for. There is no need to be rude. You could have just ignored this post and moved on if you didnt like OP's question.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
My Expedition has cooled seats & they get cold a lot faster then the rest of the car does. Its really noticeable on a hot summer day when the car has been sitting in the sun.
Living in Houston I really need ventilated seats more than I need heated seats. Heated seats are becoming ubiquitous. We need more options for ventilated seats. Come on Acura!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, everyone needs to dial it down a notch here.

There is absolutely no reason to get personal here. Once it does, I start handing out bans.

Everyone needs to be respectful here....final warning.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steven Bell:
I-Four (02-17-2013), mr_raja (02-03-2013), NVMYT (02-04-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I'm in a similar boat but for different reasons. MPG is very important to me as well as acceleration. The TL has excellent acceleration but because of where I drive and the way I drive, I probably average about 17mpg.

If I were to buy today, I'd probably get the ES 300h but next year I'd also consider the IS 300h (if they make it to the US).

If Acura can really get their act together and drastically improve the body of the TLX to make it more attractive and it gets great MPG and acceleration I would definitely hold out for it as I did so love my old civic and my current older TL. I haven't seen any numbers for acceleration on the new accord hybrid - that will most likely determine if I wait for a hybrid TLX. One other thing that certainly concerns me is the price difference. The Lexus 300h is about $2500 more than the 350 model. The Accord hybrid is expected to be about $8,500 more - hard to justify $8,500 for a hybrid no matter how much I hate going to the gas station. If Acura were to also charge $8500 more for the TLX hybrid, the choice will be clear - a 300h IS or ES.

Last edited by boe_d; 02-03-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
another, "Should I buy the Acura or 8(@n&" thread.
They are both great options. One could argue a good case for either.
Honestly, with <150 posts in nine years I'm surprised that you have even checked back in on this thread.
But if you are already working at a Lexus dealership, why the hell would you by an Acura

Get the GS and STFU.
Marco, I have only 46 posts in 7 years, but I read others posts all the time...a lot of questions can be answered just by searching/reading, but honestly, I just don't post because some folks on here become short/hostile with posters and like to sling insults! If you're really 46 years old, you should post like that and try to be helpful...otherwise, just read!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by boe_d
I'm in a similar boat but for different reasons. MPG is very important to me as well as acceleration. The TL has excellent acceleration but because of where I drive and the way I drive, I probably average about 17mpg.

If I were to buy today, I'd probably get the ES 300h but next year I'd also consider the IS 300h (if they make it to the US).

If Acura can really get their act together and drastically improve the body of the TLX to make it more attractive and it gets great MPG and acceleration I would definitely hold out for it as I did so love my old civic and my current older TL. I haven't seen any numbers for acceleration on the new accord hybrid - that will most likely determine if I wait for a hybrid TLX. One other thing that certainly concerns me is the price difference. The Lexus 300h is about $2500 more than the 350 model. The Accord hybrid is expected to be about $8,500 more - hard to justify $8,500 for a hybrid no matter how much I hate going to the gas station. If Acura were to also charge $8500 more for the TLX hybrid, the choice will be clear - a 300h IS or ES.
I think the Accord Plug-In Hybrid will be that much higher, but I would expect the Accord hybrid to only be a tad more than the current Touring model and rumors are it will be equipped like a touring, so basically $36K range would be my expectation.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KeithL
I think the Accord Plug-In Hybrid will be that much higher, but I would expect the Accord hybrid to only be a tad more than the current Touring model and rumors are it will be equipped like a touring, so basically $36K range would be my expectation.
I could live with $3,500 or even $4,000 more (provided it had great acceleration) but the two articles I read suggested the accord hybrid will be $40,000. http://www.motortrend.com/features/t...s/viewall.html

Last edited by boe_d; 02-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by boe_d
I could live with $3,500 or even $4,000 more (provided it had great acceleration) but the two articles I read suggested the accord hybrid will be $40,000. http://www.motortrend.com/features/t...s/viewall.html
The plug-in is out and it is that price now ($40.5K), the regular hybrid will have to be less, I assume around $36K. My concern is the plug-in has lesser audio system (180 watt) and Bio covering on seats, so basically cloth. So they de-contented it a little, too bad for that much money they should load it up. I think they are mixing up people that are trying to conserve the planet with people that want to save money on fuel. I'm not looking to kill the planet, but I would like my toys as well. Hope they don't pull this on the TLX hybrid. Would be sweet if they offered the RLX hybrid in the TLX, count me in for that!
The following users liked this post:
boe_d (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KeithL
The plug-in is out and it is that price now ($40.5K), the regular hybrid will have to be less, I assume around $36K. My concern is the plug-in has lesser audio system (180 watt) and Bio covering on seats, so basically cloth. So they de-contented it a little, too bad for that much money they should load it up. I think they are mixing up people that are trying to conserve the planet with people that want to save money on fuel. I'm not looking to kill the planet, but I would like my toys as well. Hope they don't pull this on the TLX hybrid. Would be sweet if they offered the RLX hybrid in the TLX, count me in for that!
Thanks - I didn't know there were two hybrid models.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
I would say get another Acura. Speaking from experience here as I had bought an '08 Lexus IS250 brand new. The only pluses for the Lexus (vs the Acura) is a somewhat more comfy ride and ventilated seats (helpful here in Texas) and the dealership service experience (for which they charge and arm and a leg as you may know since you work at one). What I absolutely hated about the car was the declining Toyota/Lexus quality for the handsome sum I had paid. The car would always drift to the right despite several alignments done by the dealer. The CD player was replaced, a stuck cupholder was repaired and a window that fell right into the door was fixed. Add all that to the expensive maintenance required for the Lexus.

Bought a new 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD after trading in the Lexus and so far no major issues except for a rear deck rattle that's been fixed. The Acura so far has been a dream to own with low maintenance costs, troublefree operation and has been a better overall purchase. I also love the option to operate the navigation system while in motion unlike the Lexus which locked you out. But I hear, Acura is also moving in that direction.

Last edited by lji; 02-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Banned

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You are in a unique position,you own an Acura and you work at a Lexus dealership therefore you have personal experience with both vehicles,i would say test them all and let your experience and preferences choose for you.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by lji
Add all that to the expensive maintenance required for the Lexus.

Such as? I'm planning on getting a 200CT as a commuter.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lji
Add all that to the expensive maintenance required for the Lexus.
I'm curious about this too. I never ever bring my car to a dealership for even a "free" oil change as I trust the dealership mechanics far far less than I do regular mechanic. I consider dealership mechanics just shy of being public sector mechanics (and I used to work in a public sector municipal garage).