Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 TL headliner falling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 TL headliner falling?

WTF my headliner came loose while driving today..... enough for me to notice it....

Appointment at dealer for friday - a-spec was going on but I will make sure they fix this first.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headliner on my 05 is fine (knock on wood).
Old 12-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
mine is down a little but it's not that noticable. Doesn't bother me one bit though. Also I would be willing to bet that they are all like this. Mine doesn't look like it's falling at all but if you push in the center where the sunshade slides back on the headliner you will hear the tape stick and then let go. Oh well.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I thought they fixed this in the 05s after all the 04 headliners kept falling down
Old 12-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Advanced

04 Headliner FIX: Acura has indicated that the area behind moonroof requires a bracket to be installed. This eliminates the stress on the headliner and the points of adhesion. The dealer tech must remove the complete headliner to do this install.

Two issues may arise from this fix: 1) moonroof must be retorqued correctly or else it will squeak when you hit a bump on the road. 2) if the tech is not careful, he/she will scratch or damage the aluminum accents on the center console and the rear headrests. Total fix time is 1-2 days. Make sure you get loaner. If not, call Acura to set this up. (You may also request a free detail as goodwill gesture for customer satisfaction from Acura.)
Old 12-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by hondasaurus
04 Headliner FIX: Acura has indicated that the area behind moonroof requires a bracket to be installed. This eliminates the stress on the headliner and the points of adhesion. The dealer tech must remove the complete headliner to do this install.

Two issues may arise from this fix: 1) moonroof must be retorqued correctly or else it will squeak when you hit a bump on the road. 2) if the tech is not careful, he/she will scratch or damage the aluminum accents on the center console and the rear headrests. Total fix time is 1-2 days. Make sure you get loaner. If not, call Acura to set this up. (You may also request a free detail as goodwill gesture for customer satisfaction from Acura.)
Yeah but wouldn't this be part of the production on '05 models since that's what we are talking about? I would think so however I don't think it is. I still have the issue but I can't really notice it.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just had my entire headliner replaced....this was before the TSB came out on the headliner...they took the old headliner out and replaced it with a new one...now it does not fall...the reason behind it falling was that they use a very "strong" velcro type material and it did not hold the headliner....as a result, it would start to sag/bend down....

however, i believe that they have now started to just use certain brackets to replace this fix rather than ordering the entire headliner...when they were fixing this, they did mess up my aluminum strips on the center console....they called me to say that they were ordering one of them...i said no...why? because i wanted them to order two so that way they could match...

when i went to pick the car up, i asked them...did you fix both the aluminum strips...and they said yes...when i got in my car, i told them that they did not fix the left (driver side) because i had a little black spot marked on my strip to see whether they would change it or not...sot hen they went ahead and fixed both of them (act of dishonesty)....

but ya, back to the headliner...this has happened in several cars and it is fixable...my headliner looks great now but the biggest disadvantage is MORE RATTLES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do search on the epoxy fix-takes 5 min to do this. I fixed mine a long time ago.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Racer

i have 3k miles on my 04 so far, and have 0 problems with it. No rattles, no headliner problems, none of that crap. The TL is portrayed as being a lot more troublesome than it is in reality. Sucks that your headliner is falling - not something i would enjor experiencing on a new car.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:00 AM
sms
6th Gear

I noticed that my headliner was sagging yesterday. I have an appointment on Monday to have it fixed. Will they install the bracket as a matter of course, or will they just use some new double-sided adhesive foam tape?

The bracket seems like a good idea. I have never affixed anything with double-sided foam tape that did not fail at some point.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:09 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by sms
I noticed that my headliner was sagging yesterday. I have an appointment on Monday to have it fixed. Will they install the bracket as a matter of course, or will they just use some new double sided adhesive foam tape?

Originally Posted by Novice
Do search on the epoxy fix-takes 5 min to do this. I fixed mine a long time ago.
Just do it yourself less problems will arrise.

Don't people realize that the simplest thing at the dealership can turn out to be more of a hassle than it's worth. If it's something simple I would just assume fix it myself. Save myself the headaches and keep my car out of the hands of people that care less about your car.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Just do it yourself less problems will arrise.

Don't people realize that the simplest thing at the dealership can turn out to be more of a hassle than it's worth. If it's something simple I would just assume fix it myself. Save myself the headaches and keep my car out of the hands of people that care less about your car.
I totally agree with you. Imagine those oily finger prints on the headliner fabric and on your leather seats not to mention scratches.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Suzuka Master

i was at my dealer yesterday to drop off the body kit and such... my service rep told me that they use 3M's duo-lock tape across the entire headliner because they had no success with acuras solution to the problem
Old 12-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Burning Brakes

The velcro part is not a problem. The white adhesive/foam that attaches to the velcro is the real problem.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:41 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
i have 3k miles on my 04 so far, and have 0 problems with it. No rattles, no headliner problems, none of that crap. The TL is portrayed as being a lot more troublesome than it is in reality. Sucks that your headliner is falling - not something i would enjor experiencing on a new car.

I wouldn't have bought my car if I took everything I read here as gospel.

My car is 6 months old and has 3,000 miles. NO problems whatsoever aside from the flat-spotting EL-42s which I can live with.

Regards,
Old 12-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh well. I guess as long as the car works, these minor problems CAN and will be resolved. Hell thats why we have the lemon law. I am pretty sure everything will be fixed and working fine soon enough.

I had read on the boards about all the problems, which is one reason I waited till the 05' model - hoping they would have resolved some of the issues. These problems do not affect the ability to drive the car (which is a blast) so I am not very worried, yet.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
Oh well. I guess as long as the car works, these minor problems CAN and will be resolved. Hell thats why we have the lemon law. I am pretty sure everything will be fixed and working fine soon enough.
Noooo. That is NOT why we have the Lemon Law.

Rattles and drooping headliners don't make a car undrivable or unsafe. Lemon Laws are there to protect us from unsafe or unreliable cars that are unable to be fixed. They're also applied to defects that seriously hamper the resale value of a car, such as paint falling off.

A drooping headliner or a rattling subwoofer doesn't fit the above criteria. Granted, I would be annoyed if I had these problems on a new car regardless of cost, but they're relatively minor problems.

I cannot believe that I could be one of the few lucky ones without a rattling, drooping, butt-printing '04 TL. Maybe I should play "Lotto" tonight!

That's my

Regards,
Old 12-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

I more than willing to bet that you will win a lemon law case if you play your cards right with the rattles and falling headliners. Infact, I know somebody who did this when the TL first came out. He now owns a TSX.
Of course the law varies slightly from state to state, but the Michigan Lemon Law (which I know like the back of my hand now lol) is easier to win than a lot of people may think.

But yes, you are lucky with none of the problems. Congrats!!! And yes, GO play the lotto. If you win share it with us less fortunate
Old 12-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
I more than willing to bet that you will win a lemon law case if you play your cards right with the rattles and falling headliners. Infact, I know somebody who did this when the TL first came out. He now owns a TSX.
Of course the law varies slightly from state to state, but the Michigan Lemon Law (which I know like the back of my hand now lol) is easier to win than a lot of people may think.

But yes, you are lucky with none of the problems. Congrats!!! And yes, GO play the lotto. If you win share it with us less fortunate
I'm pretty surprised to hear that someone won a Lemon Law case over rattles and falling headliners, but I'm sure it's possible! I guess I should go home and hug my TL for being trouble free.

Gotta dig for some spare change to play the lottery!

Old 12-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

lol. Go go go. Win a few hundred million. Split it with me lol
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I had to resurrect this because the OP had a brand new car! And the headliner began coming down. I have had my car in the dealer and they fixed it under warranty, but they fixed it with the same method that came from the factory, which is a problem. So, it's not a solution.. So I know what.. Lets just do it again!! People say time and again, "the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result". If you take the car back to the dealer, you will probably get the same parts that failed in the first place. haha Nevertheless, I'm going to call them anyway and see if they have a "REAL solution".
Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I didn't know this was a common problem. Going out to do a check on my 05's headliner.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
I had to resurrect this because the OP had a brand new car! And the headliner began coming down. I have had my car in the dealer and they fixed it under warranty, but they fixed it with the same method that came from the factory, which is a problem. So, it's not a solution.. So I know what.. Lets just do it again!! People say time and again, "the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result". If you take the car back to the dealer, you will probably get the same parts that failed in the first place. haha Nevertheless, I'm going to call them anyway and see if they have a "REAL solution".
The fix has held since 2006 on my TL with nearly 200K miles on it! It might be worth it to try the fix again for another 200K miles out of it, and then supplement it with some 3M double sided stick tape or velcro.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I'll chime in here:
-I had the area of the headliner in my 06 come down at the posterior aspect of the sunroof on the passenger side. I have seen posts in which the dealer has replaced the whole headliner just to have it fail again. There are small squares of adhesive lined velcro that keeps the headliner up (so it's velcro to velcro). What I did in my case (with the roof fully open) is look in while kneeling on the pass. seat (be sure to put some kind of cushion so you don't dent/stretch the leather), look into the opening of the roof, and you'll see the squares of velcro (there's 3 of them- they're plastic with the adhesive on one side).

What I initially tried is quick setting epoxy, which pretty quickly failed. What ultimately worked is the use of rubber cement (used where the 'tape' adhesive initially was (you need to be VERY careful as you're 'feeding it' into the small recess to get it on the area of concern and you don't want this stuff getting on the fabric of the headliner). You use an application on the small adhesive square as well on the opposing surface where the 2 planes come together. Wait ~ 30 minutes, then put the 2 opposing (with rubber cement) pieces together (what I did in my garage was keep the roof open overnight and with a lot of microfiber towels to protect the paint and bodywork, I used a large C clamp to keep the headliner up). It's never failed in the past year since the repair.

I wish I had pics to illustrate what I'm trying to say above, but the rubber cement was the best product for this job.

3M tape and epoxy failed in my case as I tried these prior to the rubber cement

Last edited by erdoc48; 02-17-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Drifting

I just bought some "industrial strength" velcro at Michael's Art's and Crafts. I reused the OEM "lower" piece since that was the good piece and plus you need to retain that lower piece because of how it mounts to the headliner (fortunately that is not the bad part)..

So I used only 1 side of the NEW velcro. And just to add an extra amount of support, I cut out a piece, from the new velcro, that is bigger than the original "upper" piece.

I put 3 pieces on the rear-side of the sunroof. There is 1 in the middle and 2 on the rear corners. I removed the oem velcro on the TOP.. And I used rubbing alcohol and brake cleaner to clean the surface after I removed the OEM upper velcro piece. The center velcro piece is what gave away first. Then the 2 rear pieces at the corners broken away too since the middle was not attached. So I did all 3 "velcro'd" locations on the rear side of the sunroof.

It cost $11. And I have a lot more left if it happens again.
Attached Thumbnails '05 TL headliner falling?-20140526_162321.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
cokorote (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Drifting

still holding.. 5 days later. love it.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
^^I need to do this my headliner fell of last week and I may try this product. How many package do I need?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Drifting

only 1 package is needed and you will have much left over. Mine is still holding fine! love it.

btw, One side of the Velcro doesn't exactly mesh into the OEM Velcro very well just by pressing on it. But apply a twist while pushing and then it holds great.

So this is what I did. I removed the oem upper piece and cleaned the roof with rubbing alcohol. (tight area)

Then cut out a new and larger piece of velro from the new package.
(leave the sticky tape on)

Then removed the lower OEM Velcro piece from the headliner.

Then twisted and pressed the new Velcro to the OEM lower piece.

Then slid the OEM piece back into its mounted spot with the upper piece still on the lower piece.

Leave the clear tape on the sticky side. Don't remove it until all 3 velcro points are done. So repeat that process for all 3 velcro spots.

Then, the last thing you do, after you mounted new Velcro pieces on all 3 positions, and after both upper and lower Velcro's are smashed and twisted together... THEN remove the clear plastic protectant cover from the sticky side.

Then push up the headliner to the metal roof... and hold it in place a few seconds or more.... to let the sticky side of the Velcro stick to the roof.

Summary: clean the metal roof from old velro residue, then remove lower oem Velcro. Cut out a piece of new Velcro, stick it to the lower oem piece, and slide it back into position on the headliner.

repeat process for the other 2 tabs.

Then remove clear plastic cover from sticky side of new Velcro from all 3 positions.

then push the headliner up and make it stick to roof.

http://www.michaels.com/M10156083.html

Last edited by Chad05TL; 07-08-2014 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cokorote (07-09-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Yay. I bought my '06 used in January 2008 and it started drooping a few months later. I don't remember what the dealer did to fix it, but it's been fine for over 6 years. I had actually forgotten all about it.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Drifting

well that is pretty fortunate. The dealer finxed mine a while, but it fell again. They used the same OEM solution. Not good. But my solution reuses the lower OEM Velcro piece which is not the one that fails.

by the way, my suggestion above is implied, but I didn't really say "keep the lower oem Velcro piece and toss the upper piece that used to stick to the roof"
the lower Velcro piece has a really hard back.. and it fits in a metal-like SLOT in the headliner.. So it does not go bad. Only the upper piece that looses its sticky to the metal roof.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:13 PM
9th Gear

i have to put a new headliner in does anyone know where to get the headliner and it gray but what kind of gray? HELP HELP
Old 08-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Drifting

My velcro things came down from around the sunroof after a year or 2, I need to redo it. But worst of all, the material is pulling away from the backing in the curve of the C pillar. On both sides too. weird.