Possible Avital 4113L Issue - Alarm arming, doors remain unlocked upon exit

Old 07-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Avital 4113L Issue - Alarm arming, doors remain unlocked upon exit

Recently purchased a 2007 Acura TL and I have noticed a problem with the alarm. The car apparently has an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry system made by Avital. I believe it is the 4113L.

The symptom: When exiting the car after driving most of the time it will arm the alarm, but the doors are still unlocked. If I go to open up the driver door, the alarm will sound. But if I choose to open the trunk instead of the driver door, the alarm will not sound. Basically, I've been having to hit 'unlock' with the remote anytime I have stepped away from the car and closed all the doors.

I have dug through the manual for this system and I don't think this is an 'option'. Seems like this might be more of an electrical/solenoid/microswitch issue.

Can someone confirm my thoughts?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

So, I had some time to do some systematic testing and it appears that maybe this is a setting somewhere or that it's wired/setup to perform this weird action.

When entering the car:

-If the key is placed in the ignition before the door is shut, once the door shuts it will lock.

-If the key is not placed in the ignition before shutting the door, once the door shuts, locks do nothing.

When exiting the car:

-If the key is pulled out from the ignition prior to opening the door, the alarm will arm itself when I exit and close the door. But the door physically remains unlocked.

-If the key is not pulled out from the ignition prior to opening the door, the alarm will not arm itself and the locks do not actuate.

From what I have investigated, I do see any other aftermarket systems aside from the Avital remote start/security package currently installed on this car.

More digging I suppose...
Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Cruisin'

Not sure how to edit my above post, so a new post it is. Just a correction on one of the sections in bold below.

When entering the car:

-If the key is placed in the ignition before the door is shut, once the door shuts it will actuate the unlock function twice.

-If the key is not placed in the ignition before shutting the door, once the door shuts, locks do nothing.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The unit may not be wired up properly. I would contact that company and they should be able to help you. I installed a car starter and it took a lot of work, the instructions sucked. I emailed/called the company and they helped me through it.
The following users liked this post:
Bogie (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Cruisin'

I called up a local installer of this model and sure enough he seemed to understand my situation and said that it IS an option, but the manual and the steps to change it are somewhat vague and non-intuitive.

He's trying to dig up the manuals to see how I can go about changing this setting. Glad to hear this is potentially an option, not a problem!