How To Remove The Rotor Screws From Your Honda/Acura’s Brake Rotors

Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts

I GOT IT!

Pitboard link to full article:
How To Remove The Rotor Screws From Your Honda/Acura’s Brake Rotors HeelToeAuto.com's Pit Board

Originally Posted by mrheeltoe

I hate these screws. Most European cars don’t even have them, but for some reason the Japanese feel the need to equip their cars with them. The reason they are there is to hold the rotor securely to the hub of the car once the wheel is removed. If you look at how the whole assembly of hub/studs, rotor, wheel, and lug nuts fits together, you will see that these screws serve no purpose once the wheel is installed. The screws exist merely as an unnecessary assembly aide.

Their function is so superficial, in fact, that they are made out of what must be the softest metallic substance on the entire car. Under any load from the brakes, I can imagine these screws’ heads popping off instantly. Alas, they are on the car holding the rotor in place and must be removed in order to change rotors (another insufficiently designed component of the Honda/Acura braking system, but that is another blog topic...) The process of removing these screws appears to be as simple as grabbing a phillips head screwdriver and giving them a twist.

Unfortunately, life creates it’s own interesting moments when it is realized that even a very minimal amount of unseen corrosion or galvanic action LOCKS these bad boys in place, causing the screws to strip with ease. Once these guys are stripped, you need to grab a drill and bore out the heads to get them off. I have done this drilling more often than I have had the miraculous joy of actually removing the screws properly. I never want to do it again.

Let’s say, I were to stop writing here. One might no doubt search their favorite message forum and read all of the wonders of a tool called an impact driver. This tool is a sort of screw-driver with a spring-loaded twisting action that works when the handle is hit with a hammer. The idea is, the hammer forces the driver into the screw while the spring action twists the screw just enough to break it free. Much of the time, and impact driver is the perfect tool for the job. But I content this method is no sure-fire way to unscrew these screwy screws without possible need for the drill.

Problem one with the driver is, not everyone has one, and not everyone who changes brakes every 2-3 years wants to buy one. In order to get one that works reliably, you’ll need to spend enough money that you might well have paid someone to do your brakes for you. I’ve used cheap ones, and broken them almost instantly. Bonus…before they broke, they stripped the screws.

Problem two, even with a good driver there exists an estimated 10% chance you’s strip a screw anyway because the screws are just that bitchy.

So here is my SURE FIRE, WORKED EVERY TIME I DID IT WITHOUT FAIL way of removing the rotor screws from your brake rotors. It involves two simple tools nearly everyone has in their tool box.

Pitboard link to full article:
How To Remove The Rotor Screws From Your Honda/Acura’s Brake Rotors HeelToeAuto.com's Pit Board

Thanks fer readin'!

Marcus

949-295-1668
Old 06-18-2010, 08:05 AM
dP-
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tip! I'll try this when I remove my rotors soon.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I just used my Mastercraft impact driver. Then I threw the bitch-screws in the trash and never re-installed them - they're useless!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Through all the postings we have made in our marketing network, I am really surprised at all the comments this has spawned. (although not on the actual blog site, which I find pretty odd...).

Most people are really supportive and like the write-up. Most of those people have interjected their input as far as how they get the screws off. All that is great! For the record, I am perfectly aware that there are a great many ways that one may remove these screws. I prefer this method because it is the only method I have used in the last 14 years that has not once necessitated getting a drill out. In the hundreds of screws I have removed and the half-a-dozen or so methods I have used, this one has NEVER FAILED ME. For an unprofessional and inexperienced DIYer, that is of utmost importance; reliability of process.

Surprisingly, I have only had one critic saying the method was idiotic, and saying they "would actually be embarrassed for even suggesting this method." My retort was simply that "buying $20 tool to remove screws that really should not exist and will be thrown away is idiotic."

Obviously there is more than one way to skin a cat. But reliability, consistency, predictability, and VALUE...all these are the traits that make a part or a process HT-SPEC!

Marcus
949-295-1668
Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a great article!

I recently replaced all my rotors on my 2004 TSX with StopTech rotors and fully intended to follow the advice laid out here by MrHeeltoe...

To my surprise, my driver side front rotor screws came off without a hitch after a liberal dose of WD-40! I pressed my luck using the same process on the passenger side front rotor and threaded both screws. Had to waste time to carefully drill out what was left of these screws.

Suprisingly, my rear rotor screws all came off without a hitch with just a hand screwdriver and some WD-40. I tossed the screws I successfully removed in the trash, where they belong!

I'm convinced an impact driver would have been useful here. But buying a specialized tool just to remove worthless screws that I intend to throw away seems like such a waste.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good set of left handed drill bits makes stripped screws easy to deal with. Everyone should have a set.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Yep, i am stuck with on of these screws on front left rotor. I will try this method this afternoon. Thanks Mr Heeltoe.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Instructor

I still couldn't remove this crappy screw of the rotor. Any other options MrHeeltoe? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
if you havent already, look up mrheeltoes guide to getting the "pin" off the rotor.

I didnt have luck using his method. So i took an extra bolt that i had and screwed it into the rotor, pushing it off the "screw"
I heard a loud pop, and I knew that I could just screw the "pin" out.

the pin looks like its very easy to get off. it looks like all you have to do is take a phillips screw driver to it. but believe me, you either need an impact driver or mrheeltoes method.
or do what i did and just screw an EXTRA bolt in.

when i say extra, it means youre going to be destroying that bolt.

Here is a picture....

as you can see, the two screws are circled.

the yellow circles are where you bolt in the extra bolts.....
try this, and if you still have trouble drill out the screw.

Last edited by justnspace; 12-15-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor

My method only really involved removing the screws. The extra bolt holes are only there to pop the rotors off the hub if they are stuck on there, only AFTER getting the screws out. Step one, no matter what, is getting the screws off. If the chisel method won't work you'll need to drill the heads off.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Justnspace, the other two holes are meant to be used for two bolts to push out the rotor slowly, when these pesky little srews are already off the rotors; just like Mrheeltoe said. I have those two bolts from previous experience removing the rotor of 99 Accord. They use same size bolts except that the pesky screws on my Accord were easy to come off. Maybe I can try to use these bolts slowly while trying to take out that crazy screw off the rotor. I don't plan to use those screws anymore, so I don't care if this one is ruined or not; just don't destroy the wheel hub behind the rotor. The other one is still in perfect condition and already came off.

I already bought the impact screwdriver yesterday at O'Reilly. I will try it today.

Thanks Justnspace and Mrheeltoe.