06-07 RL vs new TL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
06-07 RL vs new TL?

test drove a bunch of cars at Acura last night. test drove a used TL-S. liked the power, but it felt "old" inside. this particular car had some wear issues....

test drove a brand new AT TSX tech. i reallyh like the interior of this car and the look of it. drove nice. just gutless. no power at all. rear seat room is as big as the older 3G TL.

test drove a new TL. plush ride like the TSX, but firmer and more substantial feeling. i could feel some torque steer from the 280hp motor. had more thrust - kinda like the TL-S, just not as 'sporty" feeling.

they want 34k for a new TL base. probably about 37k for a TL/tech. i am going to look into lease prices on one.

my parents have an 07 RL. i've test driven one a while back, and had their car a couple times for trips.

my recollection fo the RL's i've driven - very very quiet inside, nice ride, NO torque steer - power is decent. not as intense as the TL-S, but on par with the new TL.

given the prices on the RL - i would htink i coudl find a nice 06-07 for way way less than a new TL.

anyone care to offer any insight/suggestions?

what would i expect to payh for anice low mileage immaculate RL like an 06-07?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Drifting

oh - the local dealer has TWO brand new 08s still sitting on their lot.

the window sticker on one was $42k. anyone think you could get them down even lower or is that a smokin deal for "new" RL? i don't want to spend 42k so that is way way out for me, unless they woudl drop it down to about 35 or less. am i dreamin'?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
My first choice would be the 'new' 08 RLs. I would do a market search for a clean, low mileage (even CPO) 08 RL in your area and offer $1000 - $1500over that price. Assuming it is a TECH (has NAVI), I would expect $39.5K - $40K to be a good take on the 'new' 08 RLs as I see the used CPOs in the $35-39K range. New 09 RLs can be negotiated around $42K, but inventory is small as production halted months ago and 010 RLs are due in late July. If they have CMBS/ACC/PAX adjust up. If they re Base models (no NAVI) adjust down.

If your ceiling is $35K, look for a used 08RL.

There are many TL to RL owners out here. Most of us love the TL (at least the 3rd Gen) but I doubt you will find many who will suggest the TL over the RL unless your focus is strickly for the sporting attributes (in which the TL-S is your optimum choice).

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 06-15-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
oh - the local dealer has TWO brand new 08s still sitting on their lot.

the window sticker on one was $42k. anyone think you could get them down even lower or is that a smokin deal for "new" RL? i don't want to spend 42k so that is way way out for me, unless they woudl drop it down to about 35 or less. am i dreamin'?
I am assuming this is a different sticker than the Monroney sticker which by law must have the MSRP on it, and cannot be removed by other than the ultimate consumer.

Make sure you know what you are buying. In an 08, you want to be sure to get a Tech Package RL, and not a base, which has no Nav.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Drifting

yeah, i would only consider an RL with nav.

I'm looking at lease deals on the new TL - and it appears you can get the new TL as a base, base w/tech, SH-AWD, or SH-AWD w/tech.

i test drove a ase and liked it, but felt it was a tad soft for me.

I wonder if to compromise on price, but get a firmer handling car - you coudl find many TL's with the SH-AWD system but w/out tech.... price on that is not too terribly bad

i wonder how the new AWD TL compares to an 08 RL??? i mean they look different inside/out - but if you drove them both - and focused solely on how they drove - what would be the big differences from the new TL to hte 07-08 RL???

one thing I could do if I bought an 7-08 RL would be to just throw on OEM aspec suspenions to stiffen things up. mgiht get a ride close to the new TL SH-AWD???

for the money, i'm thinking i can find a nice low mileage CPO 07-08 RL in the high high 20s or very low 30s.

if you were deciding between say an 07 CPO RL for $30k or a new TL w/SHAWD - but you were going to lease it and essentially be paying "more" - what is the better buy?

in some ways i kind of think the older RL is classier looking than the "new" TL..

i must be getting old. i'm only 36, but i test drove the TSX and felt it was a "kids' car. it was a nice basic vehicle, but it felt like a kids car. I drove the new TL and felt it "fit' me better. more of a "grown ups" car. the 07-08 RL is very upscale looking too..just not a lot of them out there for sale.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since you posted your inquiry in the RL neck of the woods, you will get a semi bias toward selecting a RL (but must of us migrated from a TL to a RL, so you should get a lot of different view points). For myself, if your looking for a sports sedan = 08 TL Type S, if your looking for a luxury sedan = 08 RL with tech package. If you are looking for a shock and awe type impression...get an 09 with the bold new grill!

Bottom line, I doubt you will go wrong getting either a 08/09 TL or a 08 RL. GL
Old 06-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Drifting

i know they are all good. in many ways, all of the Acura cars are really similar. even the little TSX - which I had all weekend recently as a loaner was a fun little car. the new TSX felt a lot like the 3G TL in fit/finish/size - only lacking in grunt. I actually liked the new TSX better than the 3G TL in terms of styling. power I like the V6 in the TL-S!

if I could get an 08 TL-S under $30k i might jump at that. the thing that pisses me off is when the TL-S was selling -and dealers only had handfulls left, I had offers on NEW ones at $31,500-32000. now they want that much or MORE for USED ones..craziness.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Rhlieu mention, you have posted your inquiry in the RL neck of the woods, so I am bias toward selecting an RL. With that said, you cannot go wrong with an RL or TL they are both great cars to drive!
If you can find a 08 TL-S with low miles for under $30k with an Acura Care warranty, you better leap on it.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
There have been numerous threads re: the difference of the RL to the TL so not to belabor the point: open the door, put your head inside, take a deep breath. If you can't smell the difference then just buy the cheapest.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Drifting

i know the diff. the RL overall just FEELS like a more substantial, better made, much more luxurious car, and it's slightly larger. also rides somewhat smoother, softer, and not quite as fast...but also likely handles sweeping turns better due to AWD.

the TL is marketed toward the 30-40somethings.
the RL is marketed toward the 50-60somethings.

i know plenty of 35-45 yr old guys drive RLs, but I see the RL as more of a "mature" guys luxury cruiser, whereas the TL is trying to partly play "sport sedan"...which it honestlyh is only soso at. the TL-S is decent but even it is FWD and not really the ideal sports sedan.

the RL is an ideal lxury car. and with the amazing deals on them, you can get one really cheap. i've seen quite a few RLs that are 06 models, CPO, with around 30-35k miles on them - with asking prices of $24-25k. i'm sure if a dealer is asking $25k you could easily knock a couple grand of that price.

take the 2k i saved to add aspec and new wheels. i hate the oem 17s. the aspec 18s look good...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

the TL is marketed toward the 30-40somethings.
the RL is marketed toward the 50-60somethings.

Buy the car that appeal to YOU, not what marketers think you should drive. It is simply opinions, and never compromise your gut feelings for opinions of others.

Would you rather write those checks for a car that pleases YOU or write those checks to please the marketing geniuses that tell you what you want?

If marketers or anyone wants to suggest what I should drive, I hope they are willing to write the check. And if that person is not even driving what they are suggesting I should buy,,,,well yeah, I give that opinion much weight.

If I lived by that philosophy I would be applauding Dave Marek and Acura's new design school. Unfortunately for Acura, they will not see any more $$$ from me until they understand ugly is not the new eye candy.

I bought my TL because it was on paper and image all I wanted. Truth be told, it was not as refined as I expected because the sporting attributes compromised what I truly valued...refinement, integration, balance, substance, engineering, comfort,,,,etc, etc. The TL had much of that, just not in the balance / mix that appealed to ME.

I bought the TL because it was THE car to buy. 18 months later I realized the RL was THE car I WANTED to drive. Likewise, I am sure the are RL owners who may be happier with a TL.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Tampa - nicely said.

maybe I shoudl just buy a 911. it's THE car I want. can you talk to my wife for me!?!? i know that I can't fit three kids int hte back of a 911...but I could fit the 18 months old in the front trunk!!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Tampa - nicely said.

maybe I shoudl just buy a 911. it's THE car I want. can you talk to my wife for me!?!? i know that I can't fit three kids int hte back of a 911...but I could fit the 18 months old in the front trunk!!
Get the wife an MDX or PILOT. She, you and the kids will be happy. Get the 911 if it makes you happy. If the kids want to ride in the 911, try duct tape and bungee cords....the little buggers will be just fine. Problem solved.

I am sooo glad you did not throw budget into the dilemma. You would make my wisdom much, much more difficult.

My work here is done.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Get the wife an MDX or PILOT. She, you and the kids will be happy. Get the 911 if it makes you happy.
That's what I did. Only for me, it was an S2000, then a CTS-V, with a Pilot for the wife. I made sure to buy the Pilot for the wife FIRST. Wife doesn't complain at all as long as she gets to +1 in either of my cars occasionally.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Drifting

HA! Already have a 2007 MDX for the wife AND I have a 2000 Boxster for ME.

i'm looking for a DD for me. Honestly, i fantasize about selling my DD and my boxster and just getting a newer 997 Carrera S. Although I have to admit, for how inexpensive the boxster is - it is a TON of bang for the buck. Mine is older - a 986 base with 217hp....but it's the MOST fun car I have EVER driven - and sorry to say guys, I test drove a new S2000..the boxster, even my base is more fun and quicker...more torque so it may not have quite as much top top end punch, it zips around much better in real world driving, and the soundd... OMFG..you have to hear a boxster and full wail.... aural orgasm...

need a DD for me. I actually considered a TSX w/tech b/c I have the MDX for family trips, the boxster for fun, so I figured someething more "affordable" like a TSX would be "good enough" to hget me to and from work and use sometimes as a spare family car for trips where we don' tneed tons of space and want to save on gas..but honestly, the thing is so gutless I just don't know if I would enjoy it...

so i considered the TL, but honestlyh, it's just too ugly. it also rode too softr for me.

i'm wondering ifa used 06 RL would be a good car. luxury, decent power, and you can pick up a ncie CPO one for around $25k.

i also wondered if i shoudl look at the TSX V6 when it comes out soon. i love the look of the TSX, only thing I disliked was the lack of power. if it rode "kind of" like a TL-S, maybe not quite as stiff, it would be nice.

if I got an RL, I would probably wnat to go aspec suspension to make it remotely tight.

another car I am seriously considering..and this is a big departure from my exitsting shopping list - the Pontiac G8. i test drove one and was veyr impressed. not as nice as Acura...but very big, very fast, and actually quite nice and you can get a loaded G8 GT for about $26-27k.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

If you keep your selections to Acura, I would agree with your selections of a CPO RL or the V6 TSX.

That said, the V6 TSX will be a new and likely a hot item selling north of $30K without much negotiation initially. For that kind of money a clean CPO RL would be my choice and a no brainer.

Next to the RL, the TSX is my favorite Acura sedan. And in the current model year, the TSX is the only Acura sedan I can stomach with the power phlegm schnoz.

If you buy an RL you are not buying for the latest fashion or the best industry metrics. You are buying for the appreciateion of the vehicle's engineering, the sophisticated and refined blend of luxury, sporting attributes and technology. It takes a keen eye to see all that without the marketing hype and king of the hill numbers game so many are chasing. And it is something you grow to appreciate more and more as you drive the car. The RL is the first car I have come across in a long time I see as a long term driver. I'll take that over fashion.

Who said I fear commitments?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TampaRL makes some excellent points. The RL is the true definition of a luxury vehicle with sporting attributes. RL=Refined Luxury or Replacement Legend or Road Luxury etc. etc. Previously I owned an 04 RL which I loved. Before buying the 04 and my 05, I test drove CPO TL's. The TL is a great car... but I appreciate strict attention to detail and superior luxury fit and finish... so the RL wins hands down. If you want a sportier sedan... go with the TL. But remember, SH-AWD rules in the twisties even if the RL is a bit slower..... you'll pull through the turn without wrapping your car around a telephone pole!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Drifting

the 2nd gen RL is now at the top of my list.

for the moneyk, it's hard to find something more luxurious. i've decided to focus on size/luxury. (i've got a Boxster for "fun") so I really don't need something "sporty" like a TL and honestluy...after you drive a Boxster, NOTHING else is "sporty"... sorry. i test drove a 335i last weekend - sport package equipped - and I kept thinking "this thing has too much body roll"..... and honestly, compared to most cars it's on rails... compared to my boxster it's floaty........ althouhg m y box has 18s and sport upgraded suspension..and it IS on rails....

so a low mileage used RL is probably in my future. for the money - i don't think there is anyhthign else that is quite as nice/luxurious.

right now there are a ton of 06models out there for sale that are CPO in the high 20s.