Formula One: 2014 Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Shame. Hamilton had given up once he got that new tire on.

Some good action the last few laps. Button-Magnussen-Alonso-Vettel... Wow.

What happened to Nico? He was consistently catching up to Ricciardo at the rate needed (2.5s/lap), then slowed right down the last couple laps.

Guess Belgium is very pro-Lewis. Who was listening to the crowd during the stage interviews?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 5,877 Likes on 2,896 Posts
I realize I'm stating the obvious, but I'll do it anyway - No way both Hamilton and Rosberg are on Mercedes next year. Rosberg's post-race admission just put the nail on the coffin on that one. One of them will be gone (my guess - Hamilton).
Old 08-24-2014, 03:34 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
It may have to do with McLaren's "no #1 driver" philosophy, because it seems that Team McLaren has the most teammate collision incidents than any other teams in F1.

Not too good in racking up valuable points towards the Constructor's Championship Trophy.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
It may have to do with McLaren's "no #1 driver" philosophy, because it seems that Team McLaren has the most teammate collision incidents than any other teams in F1.

Not too good in racking up valuable points towards the Constructor's Championship Trophy.
I'm confused. Are you talking about the Hamilton-Rosberg collision, because they are on Mercedes, not McLaren.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM
2G TLX-S

Unhappy

^^^^^

My mistake again. My mind is going through some tough time recently.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM

^^^^^

My mistake again. My mind is going through some tough time recently.
Gotcha. Hang in there.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by ttribe
I realize I'm stating the obvious, but I'll do it anyway - No way both Hamilton and Rosberg are on Mercedes next year. Rosberg's post-race admission just put the nail on the coffin on that one. One of them will be gone (my guess - Hamilton).
I dunno... Toto and especially Niki seem to think today was clearly Nico's fault.

It would be a lot easier to feel bad for Hamilton if he was classier in these interviews.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,858 Likes on 3,478 Posts
I guess perhaps in Toto's view as head of MBZ Motorsport, having his 2 come together on the second lap is inexcusable, as well it should be. Cardinal rule: you don't take out your team mate. OTOH, if you are Rosberg, you are surely grinning to yourself knowing Hamilton scored zilch today and being a selfish mother fucker is what an F1 driver is and always will be-driver>team>team mate.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Aman
I dunno... Toto and especially Niki seem to think today was clearly Nico's fault.

It would be a lot easier to feel bad for Hamilton if he was classier in these interviews.
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I guess perhaps in Toto's view as head of MBZ Motorsport, having his 2 come together on the second lap is inexcusable, as well it should be. Cardinal rule: you don't take out your team mate. OTOH, if you are Rosberg, you are surely grinning to yourself knowing Hamilton scored zilch today and being a selfish mother fucker is what an F1 driver is and always will be-driver>team>team mate.
I wasn't saying it was Hamilton's fault. I clearly stated Rosberg admitted it was his fault. I was speculating that it will be Hamilton who leaves Mercedes at the end of the year, not Rosberg.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:39 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Why do you think it will be Hamilton who leaves then? Last in, first out?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:20 AM
Senior Moderator

when did Rosberg ever publicly admit it was his fault? Every article I saw he kept saying "I will have to wait and see the video before I comment on that."

EDIT: Like here in today's Autosport article:

Nico Rosberg insists that he was not to blame for his clash with Formula 1 title rival and Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the Belgian Grand Prix.

The German insists that their lap two collision was simply a racing incident - and reckons the fact the stewards did not take action proves he did nothing wrong.

AUTOSPORT understands that the race stewards did discuss the incident during the race, but decided that there was no sign of the collision having been caused deliberately.

MERCEDES INTRA-TEAM WAR
Wolff warns of Rosberg 'consequences'
Rosberg says clash won't sour rivalry
Hamilton baffled by Rosberg's driving
Asked for his opinion about the crash, having watched video replays, Rosberg said: "I have seen it and I don't want to say - but definitely, as the stewards judged it a racing incident, that is the way one can describe it."

Although Hamilton claims that Rosberg told him in a post-race debrief that he deliberately did not avoid the incident because he wanted to "prove a point", the German was more circumspect about his actions when speaking to the media.

He was adamant that the move was not risky at all, and dismissed any suggestion he should have waited another lap until DRS was activated.

"I was quicker at the time and there was an opportunity, so I gave it a go around the outside as the inside was blocked," Rosberg said.

"I didn't see any risk in overtaking, or trying to overtake, so why should I not try? The opportunity was there even without DRS because I was so much quicker, so I gave it a go.

"Inside was not possible, so I tried around the outside. Should I have waited? That is very hypothetical. Who knows what happens afterwards?

"The opportunity was there and, for me, it wasn't a risky situation."

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 08-25-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,496 Posts
Shame. Hamilton had given up once he got that new tire on.

Some good action the last few laps. Button-Magnussen-Alonso-Vettel... Wow.

What happened to Nico? He was consistently catching up to Ricciardo at the rate needed (2.5s/lap), then slowed right down the last couple laps.

Guess Belgium is very pro-Lewis. Who was listening to the crowd during the stage interviews?
Yeah, I was amused by Eddie Jordan in the stage interview. Jordan tried to calm the crowd down to no effect.

Hamilton's tray was damaged once his tire deflated, so I suspect the downforce and balance were disrupted enough for him. He could have gone on but he's a fighter as witnessed in Hungry so it must have been bad.

I kinda neutral on both Nico and Lewis, that said it was a d*** move by Rosberg to attempt on lap 2. Both Wolff and Lauda are annoyed to no end, and let's face it Rosberg's chances for a WDC elsewhere are pretty slim.

IMO, if Brawn was still at MB this probably would not have happened. Although pretty reserved publicly, his passive aggressive personality at Ferrari and Benetton is legendary. Ross could keep both Rosberg and Hamilton in line.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Why do you think it will be Hamilton who leaves then? Last in, first out?
My speculation on Hamilton is two-fold:

1 - Recent rumors that Vettel may leave Red Bull and that Red Bull may pursue Hamilton. Now, this one's likely just gossip so I don't put mich weight here.

2 - Ever since Hamilton's brake disc exploded he seems to have been making some veiled comments about potentially favorable treatment of Rosberg. That kind of erupted when he ignored "orders" to let Rosberg pass a week (or so) ago. I think he feels like he's been back-seated to Rosberg and he'll look for something where he's more of "the man" than he is now.

when did Rosberg ever publicly admit it was his fault? Every article I saw he kept saying "I will have to wait and see the video before I comment on that."
I didn't say it was "public." I just said he'd made an admission of guilt on the collision. I said nothing about where. I based that comment on stories like these (especially the one where "Mercedes confirms" Rosberg's admission):

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story...reveals-082414

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ro...cedes-confirms

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...-belgium-clash
Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
Neat video...

The following 2 users liked this post by Yumcha:
Aman (08-26-2014), Legend2TL (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:26 AM
Senior Moderator

I didn't say it was "public." I just said he'd made an admission of guilt on the collision. I said nothing about where. I based that comment on stories like these (especially the one where "Mercedes confirms" Rosberg's admission):
That's precisely why I said "public" because I had a feeling you were speaking of Hamilton's claims Nico hit him on purpose in a conversation between the two of them, i.e.-Lewis' perception and his only, that Nico intentionally hit him. I wasn't quoting you, I was pointing out Nico didn't say that in a publicly heard statement.

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 08-26-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:38 AM
Senior Moderator

That's precisely why I said "public" because I had a feeling you were speaking of Hamilton's claims Nico hit him on purpose in a conversation between the two of them, i.e.-Lewis' perception and his only, that Nico intentionally hit him. I wasn't quoting you, I was pointing out Nico didn't say that in a publicly heard statement.
http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/94...milton-s-Views

Better article: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/0...on-on-purpose/

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 08-26-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 AM

Why didn't you just say so in the first place? What's clear, to me anyway, is Rosberg admitted to making an aggressive move (on the 2nd lap, no less) to "make a point" to Hamilton (and Mercedes, I presume). What that "point" is would be anybody's guess since he's staying tight-lipped. That being said, it was selfish, it was stupid, and it resulted in damage to both cars, but catastrophic damage to Hamilton's car. That's not being a teammate, that's being as asshole.

Last edited by ttribe; 08-26-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Why didn't you just say so in the first place? What's clear, to me anyway, is Rosberg admitted to making an aggressive move (on the 2nd lap, no less) to "make a point" to Hamilton (and Mercedes, I presume). What that "point" is would be anybody's guess since he's staying tight-lipped. That being said, it was selfish, it was stupid, and it resulted in damage to both cars, but catastrophic damage to Hamilton's car. That's not being a teammate, that's being as asshole.
*an (not as). Not awake.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Why didn't you just say so in the first place?
Ummm, I did.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 PM

Ummm, I did.
[facepalm] Never mind. It's ancillary to the discussion at this point.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Why do you think it will be Hamilton who leaves then? Black in, first out?
Fixed.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Fixed.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I don't think Hamilton will leave. Even if he is getting the cold shoulder from the team, it's clear the Mercedes is his best chance to win a WDC. Hopefully he can see that past his ego.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM
AZ Community Team

I don't think Hamilton will leave. Even if he is getting the cold shoulder from the team, it's clear the Mercedes is his best chance to win a WDC. Hopefully he can see that past his ego.
, I agree, Hamilton wanted to win more than the perils of joining another team. McLaren will take him back probably with a raise but with their car problems I don't see that happening.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 5,289 Likes on 3,623 Posts
^ That & with Honda power next year, first year in the V6t when everyone else has had a whole season to work out the bugs. Not saying Honda is going to be unreliable, but they're a season behind.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

well, they've probably learned quite a bit from other manufacturer's missteps, namely Renault and Ferrari about design including turbo location. I cannot imagine Honda falling on its face. They built Suzuka to test their engines fer crissakes.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM

True, hoping for the best for them.
Definitely have their work cut out for themselves to keep pace with the MB powered cars.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:49 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ That & with Honda power next year, first year in the V6t when everyone else has had a whole season to work out the bugs. Not saying Honda is going to be unreliable, but they're a season behind.
Don't forget that Honda is especially good with turbo V6 race engines, back in the 80's in F1, and also the current decade in INDY/CART.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Nico's comments on the incident at Spa:

Whether it was intentional or not, I think he's handling this classier than anyone else on the team.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Don't forget that Honda is especially good with turbo V6 race engines, back in the 80's in F1, and also the current decade in INDY/CART.
Forgot about the INDY connection
Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM

Mark Webber chimes in on the Hamilton/Rosberg situation:

Former Formula 1 driver Mark Webber has questioned whether Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg can remain team-mates at Mercedes.

The simmering tension between the title contenders became public when they collided at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Webber, who had a bitter intra-team fight with Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel, said: "It's going to be interesting, not just for the rest of the year.

"At the moment it's not a team. Is it OK to have them together in 2015?"
Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg clash at Belgian GP

He added: "It looks like the drivers are doing their own thing. Can they drive together in the future?"

Webber, who quit F1 at the end of last season for a career in endurance racing, said Mercedes were in a "very difficult situation where the drivers are not enjoying a good relationship".

Talking to Red Bull sports show Sport und Talk, the Australian added that he was not sure whether Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff and the team's non-executive chairman Niki Lauda would be able to solve the situation.

"The thing is, who is now going to try to put this back together?" Webber said. "Is it the people who pay Niki's and Toto's wages?

"Because at the end of the day, if the drivers are not listening to these guys, do they have to say 'Lewis and Nico, you go chat to the big guys at Mercedes, because they're paying you guys to get the job done in a team environment'?"

Webber questioned Rosberg's motivation in the incident, which occurred when the Mercedes drivers were contesting the lead on lap two at Spa-Francorchamps on Sunday.

The collision left Briton Hamilton with a puncture that ultimately ended his race and Rosberg with a damaged front wing from which he fought back to gain second place behind Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo.

"Well, it's... a passing move," Webber said. "Nico is trying to have a look on the outside, but it's Lewis's corner.

"At this point [just before the contact] Nico knows he has no chance to get the move done. It's strange that he tried to come in so tight behind Lewis.
Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton collide at the Belgian Grand Prix

The collision effectively ended Hamilton's chances of getting anything out of the race

"That was a little bit uncharacteristic of Nico - not normally his style, but he made contact.

"It wouldn't have been a big deal at all. It would have been nothing if there was no puncture, but the puncture changed the whole race. In the end both of their races were in trouble."

The result leaves Rosberg 29 points ahead of Hamilton in the championship with 200 still available in the remaining seven races.

Ricciardo's second win in succession means he is only 36 points behind Hamilton, but Webber played down the chances of the Australian challenging for the title.

"Mercedes will really need to implode for Daniel to take the championship," Webber said.

He added that Rosberg and Hamilton would be focusing only on their own private battle at the next race in Monza on 5-7 September.

"Let me tell you, when they get to the track, they'll only be thinking about each other. There's no-one else really in the race," Webber said.

"They are really only focused on beating each other and that's what happens when you have a car that is so dominant.

"They are going to win the constructors' [title] easy, so the drivers know that the constructors' is done, so all that's left is the drivers' championship."
Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/28967288
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Nico's comments on the incident at Spa:

Nico Rosberg´s video message after incident with Lewis Hamilton at SPA 2014 - YouTube

Whether it was intentional or not, I think he's handling this classier than anyone else on the team.
What comments exactly? He said fuck all about what happened,..and classier my ass. He either made a stupid maneuver, or something much more sinister. Keeping his mouth shut is complete BS. He knows he is in the wrong, so isn't saying anything. That's lame as hell.

And of course the stewards don't want to touch that incident because it will have an effect on the driver's championship.
ttribe (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

that YouTube vid was pure "Ron-speak" and delivered no meaningful content. I do believe it was a pure racing incident. the only reason it is getting so much press and attention is bc it occurred at the pointy end of the competition and the implications down the road could be huge.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by West6MT
What comments exactly? He said fuck all about what happened,..and classier my ass. He either made a stupid maneuver, or something much more sinister. Keeping his mouth shut is complete BS. He knows he is in the wrong, so isn't saying anything. That's lame as hell.

And of course the stewards don't want to touch that incident because it will have an effect on the driver's championship.
I was talking about everyone's actions after the race. This is a lot better than publicly talking garbage about your own driver. Had the drivers been in each others' shoes, Lewis wouldn't have been nearly as tight-lipped. And I say that as a Lewis fan.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:33 AM
AZ Community Team

Eddie Jordan also agrees, this wouldn't be happening with Brawn at MB.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/315379/

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Yeah, I was amused by Eddie Jordan in the stage interview. Jordan tried to calm the crowd down to no effect.

Hamilton's tray was damaged once his tire deflated, so I suspect the downforce and balance were disrupted enough for him. He could have gone on but he's a fighter as witnessed in Hungry so it must have been bad.

I kinda neutral on both Nico and Lewis, that said it was a d*** move by Rosberg to attempt on lap 2. Both Wolff and Lauda are annoyed to no end, and let's face it Rosberg's chances for a WDC elsewhere are pretty slim.

IMO, if Brawn was still at MB this probably would not have happened. Although pretty reserved publicly, his passive aggressive personality at Ferrari and Benetton is legendary. Ross could keep both Rosberg and Hamilton in line.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:03 AM
AZ Community Team

that YouTube vid was pure "Ron-speak" and delivered no meaningful content. I do believe it was a pure racing incident. the only reason it is getting so much press and attention is bc it occurred at the pointy end of the competition and the implications down the road could be huge.
For those of you who don't know what Ron-speak is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Dennis#.22Ronspeak.22
Chief F1 Fan (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 AM

The BBC reports - Nico Rosberg disciplined by Mercedes for Hamilton collision

Mercedes have taken disciplinary action against Nico Rosberg following his collision with team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the Belgian Grand Prix.

Championship leader Rosberg accepted responsibility for the collision, calling it an "error of judgement".

The team handed out an undisclosed punishment to Rosberg, likely to be a fine, while agreeing to let them continue racing for the world title.

They have been warned another similar incident "will not be tolerated".
Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg clash at Belgian GP

While Rosberg apologised to Hamilton in a statement on Friday, his British team-mate responded by admitting "we have both made mistakes".

The two drivers collided on lap two of Sunday's race as Rosberg attempted to overtake Hamilton at the Les Combes chicane.

Rosberg's front wing hit Hamilton's left rear tyre, damaging the wing and giving Hamilton a puncture which eventually caused the 2008 world champion's retirement.

Rosberg recovered to finish second behind Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo, moving into a 29-point championship lead over Hamilton with a maximum of 200 still available over the remaining seven races.

The incident was the culmination of ever-building tension between the two over the preceding 11 races.

It was a consequence of Rosberg wanting to prove a point to Hamilton that he would not be intimidated in wheel-to-wheel racing, after being forced to back out of passing moves in previous battles in the Bahrain and Hungarian Grands Prix.

But in the meeting on Friday Mercedes head of motorsport Toto Wolff and executive director (technical) Paddy Lowe made it clear such actions were unacceptable and laid down strict guidelines for future racing between the two.

The statement said: "During the meeting, Nico acknowledged his responsibility for the contact that occurred on lap two of the Belgian Grand Prix and apologised for this error of judgement.

"Suitable disciplinary measures have been taken for the incident.

"Mercedes-Benz remains committed to hard, fair racing because this is the right way to win world championships. It is good for the team, for the fans and for Formula 1.

"Lewis and Nico understand and accept the team's number one rule: there must be no contact between the team's cars on track.

"They remain free to race for the 2014 FIA Formula 1 world championship.
Andrew Benson's analysis

"Mercedes have tried to draw a line in the only feasible way after team boss Toto Wolff and adviser Niki Lauda came out so strongly against Rosberg after the race.

These actions put Hamilton firmly in the right, but what they have not done is fix the damage done to his title hopes by the incident.

Hamilton, sources close to him say, remains confident he can close the gap given a few trouble-free races. But trouble-free races are exactly what he has not had - not since the Spanish Grand Prix in early May, amazingly.

And any incident that damages both their hopes in a race also helps Rosberg in the championship. It remains, therefore, a combustible situation, and it remains highly likely that this will not be the end of it."

Rosberg released a statement on Friday on his Facebook page, issuing a further apology.

He said: "After meeting with Toto, Paddy and Lewis, I wish to go a step further and describe it as an error of judgement on my part.

"The number one rule for us as team-mates is that we must not collide but that is exactly what happened.

"For that error of judgement, I apologise to Lewis and the team. I also want to say sorry to the fans who were deprived of our battle for the lead in Belgium.

"Lewis and I have been given clear instructions about how we race each other.

"As drivers, we have a clear responsibility to the team, the fans of the sport, our partners and Mercedes-Benz to deliver clean racing. We take that responsibility very seriously."

Hamilton then issued his own Facebook statement, which said: "Nico and I accept that we have both made mistakes and I feel it would be wrong to point fingers and say which one is worse than the other.

"What's important is how we rise as a team from these situations. We win and we lose together and, as a team, we will emerge stronger.

"There is a deep foundation that still exists for me and Nico to work from, in spite of our difficult times and differences.

"The fans want to see a clean fight until the end of the season and that's what we want to give them."
Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/28984082
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Food for thought

The current MB F1 car W05 is designed by Aldo Costa who spent 1995-2011 years years at Ferrari under Rory Bryne as assistant designer role.
He left in 2011 for MB, where he's led the design of the 2013 and 2014 cars. So he was there for the glory 1999-2008 years, hmmm.... perhaps he's absorbed alot of knowledge and wisdom from Bryne and MB is in for several years of championships

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-02-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

or . . . . RBR would be kicking ass and taking names IF the Reggie got its shit together. I'm thinking it would be another RBR season if it had a decent power plant.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
or . . . . RBR would be kicking ass and taking names IF the Reggie got its shit together. I'm thinking it would be another RBR season if it had a decent power plant.

If RBR had started out where they are at least now with the engine i think the outcome of quite a few races may be different. I think they have at minimum a chassis that is very close if not equal to the MB chassis.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Formula One: 2014 Season News and Discussion Thread