Headlights off with door close ... why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Headlights off with door close ... why?

I wish there were a setting to disable that silly thing where the headlights stay on until you open and close the driver's door. After all, there is another setting specifically for leaving the headlights on for a specified period of time after you turn off the ignition. (Mine is set to "0".)

Whenever I park in my garage, the silly automatic headlights come on, then they stay on until I open my door and then close it. Even in broad daylight. And when I park in parking garages (which I do daily), it's the same thing. And if I sit in my car for a couple of minutes to finish a call or listen to the end of song or just get my stuff together, there's those headlights burning away.

Yes, I can reach up and twist the stalk and turn them off manually, but it's so unnecessary.

In fact, I wish Acura hadn't made the automatic headlights our only choice. I prefer to decide when to turn them on and off myself, and on other cars that have had it, I always controlled them manually. But I have no choice on the RLX.

If you're listening, Acura, give us our choices back.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Same on the 2014 MDX too.

It is also highly likely that the upcoming TLX will behave the same with it's auto headlights.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
is this really a problem for you?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The designers of a luxury car work day and night to add convenience features and safety features to their designs and that is all that the automatic lights are - a convenience to not have to manually turn them on and off and a safety feature to be able to see where you are going and what is around you when you turn the car off and get out of the vehicle. Some klutz at some point probably sued Honda because he tripped over his kids bicycle in a dark garage because his automatic lights turned off before he was out of the car and able to see it ...ergo the current set up.

Also, my suspicion is that the lawyers/safety watchdogs wanted the auto headlights made standard so that when the lights need to be on they are on WITHOUT driver input. On dark, overcast day, I'd say more than half the cars on the road DON'T have their lights on "because it's not night time". Worse yet, at night I see more and more drivers with only their DRL on because they erroneously think that they have automatic lights that are always on.

I fully understand and accept that everyone has their own preference and has automobile controls that they are used to, so changes and loss of "control" can be frustrating.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
For the most part, I appreciate very much the way that the automatic lights operate, and I have to say that they operate better than they did on my 2010 TL.

With the 2010 TL, I always felt the automatic functions failed to switch on the lights when I'd have switched them on myself in previous cars, even after playing with the settings. With the 2014 RLX, I feel that the lights come on almost always certainly at about the same time I'd have switched them on myself.

On those very rare occasions I will stay in my car to read something after I've stopped, I don't mind turning off the lights with the switch.

But, that's just one dumb old man's opinion of course.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Whenever I park in my garage, the silly automatic headlights come on, then they stay on until I open my door and then close it. Even in broad daylight. And when I park in parking garages (which I do daily), it's the same thing.
Would lowering the threshold for the onset of "on" change that sensitivity? Without looking, I'm pretty sure the RLX has this feature in the MID.