Thinking of buying 04 TSX, 75k miles, engine sounds a bit 'off', some advice please

Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying 04 TSX, 75k miles, engine sounds a bit 'off', some advice please

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a 6MT 04 with 75k miles for ~$9k, seller seems honest. When I took it for a test drive the engine sounded different from another stock '04 TSX I have driven and while it could be in my head, I thought it lacked power compared to the other one as well. Almost sounded like a aftermarket exhaust but it has a stock one on there.

The buyer says he has had it 'chipped' and in the past had an aftermarket exhaust but has put the stock one back on.

I'm having my mechanic look at it tomorrow, can anyone guess what it possibly could be and what I should ask my mechanic to look at specifically? I'm obviously much more concerned with the possible lack of power rather than the sound.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 AM
POWER!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd say have him look first and foremost that all the exhaust components are properly connected. And one thing I can think of that would cause you to feel such a lack in power would be if he's not using 91+ octane, so ask the owner about that.

Anything else, I'd just have everything inspected, fluids, oil, tranny oil, spark plugs. I remember when my O2 sensor went bad, I felt a lack of power with that, so have both O2 sensors checked out. And ask what he meant by "chipped" because it doesn't sound like he's talking about Hondata. Maybe see if the mechanic can pull up any check engine lights that an OBD II scanner might be able to delete but not remove.

EDIT: Oh and brakes, definitely have him check the brakes.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like one of the gaskets on the exhaust isn't sealing.
Exhaust sounds loud from the middle or front?
If the owner put the original system back on maybe they were in a rush, used an old gasket. Fairly simple fix. As long as the exhaust is fully intact and not rusted out or cracking I wouldn't put it against the sale necessarily.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I saw your post on another forum as well.

First, good advice from csmaan12 and SeaJay. Secondly, a lack of power (compared to another car you drove), and odd sound implies something is clearly wrong or is out of tune. And a lack of power in a car that has been modified presumably to add power is not a good equation.

Replacing a gasket and/or tuning are inexpensive things to do, and if it were me trying to sell that car, it would be taken care of. It makes me wonder if the reason it is being sold is that the owner knows something more expensive to fix is wrong with it. If you really like the car, have it inspected.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 06-12-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, mechanic is looking at it tomorrow morning now so we'll see.