1999 3.2TL Radio Code Newbie

Old 01-03-2006, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 3.2TL Radio Code Newbie

I cannot get my TL radio to accept the unlock code.

I've searched the site and see a number of comments about unlocking the radio on my TL. Finding the code - under hood, trunk lid, coin tray, fuse box cover, glove box, owners manual or pulling the radio to get the Serial #, etc. Also some oblique stuff about holding 1 and 6 presets while powering up radio to obtian some ?serial? numbers.

I have my code. But the radio will NOT accept the code. Saw some references to disconnecting the radio antennae etc...but not very clear nor reassuring.

Does anyone have suggestions? I'm desperate!

Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 AM

you need to unplug the antenna from behind the radio and plug it back in.. once in it should accept your code.. i know theres an easier way of doing this i just dont remember
Old 01-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buzzdoo
I cannot get my TL radio to accept the unlock code.

I've searched the site and see a number of comments about unlocking the radio on my TL. Finding the code - under hood, trunk lid, coin tray, fuse box cover, glove box, owners manual or pulling the radio to get the Serial #, etc. Also some oblique stuff about holding 1 and 6 presets while powering up radio to obtian some ?serial? numbers.

I have my code. But the radio will NOT accept the code. Saw some references to disconnecting the radio antennae etc...but not very clear nor reassuring.

Does anyone have suggestions? I'm desperate!

Thanks a bunch.

first of all, you may have the wrong code.. If you are the 2nd owner of the car, the radio may have been replaced which you may have the original anti-theft card and is not the right code for your current radio.

best thing to do.

there is a left and right side trim piece on your center console. Most likely it will be a mahogany looking piece, remove the piece on the passanger side. It's held in by clips so it just pulls off.

there should be a white sticker on the front/side of your radio where the trim piece was covering it. That is the serial number for that specific radio.

please include your full name and location and vin number of the car so i can verify that you are the current owner of the car. THEN give me the serial number off of the white sticker.

after that, i'll get you your correct code.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Racer

Where are are the 2 clips located? I want to pull it in the right place bec. I'm afraid I may break the trim piece. Thanks,
Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear

Two things

I was absolutley convinced my radio was original. Then I pulled the trim and the white sticker on right side had the same Ser No as on sticker on fuse box cover. So off I go and pull the entire radio - and find that the Ser # label on the back of radio does NOT match any other sticker on car....so with the correct Ser # I get the right code and all is well in the world.

Regarding the clips - Just start at the rear end of the trim and use a small flat-head screw driver and slowly pry the trim away from car. The clips should take care of themselves if you go slow and pry gently across several inches - don't try to force it completely loose at any one point. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buzzdoo
I was absolutley convinced my radio was original. Then I pulled the trim and the white sticker on right side had the same Ser No as on sticker on fuse box cover. So off I go and pull the entire radio - and find that the Ser # label on the back of radio does NOT match any other sticker on car....so with the correct Ser # I get the right code and all is well in the world.

Regarding the clips - Just start at the rear end of the trim and use a small flat-head screw driver and slowly pry the trim away from car. The clips should take care of themselves if you go slow and pry gently across several inches - don't try to force it completely loose at any one point. Good luck.
no need to pull off the whole radio for the serial #, just hold radio button 1 & 6 and radio power on all at the same time and it will report the serial number UXXXX and LXXXX combine those two numbers and that is the radio's serial number. Then you can ask the dealer for your radio code given the serial number. They usually will charge you a small fee unless they are cool.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by erik
no need to pull off the whole radio for the serial #, just hold radio button 1 & 6 and radio power on all at the same time and it will report the serial number UXXXX and LXXXX combine those two numbers and that is the radio's serial number. Then you can ask the dealer for your radio code given the serial number. They usually will charge you a small fee unless they are cool.

holding 1,6 will only work on certain years/models.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by loud_whispers
first of all, you may have the wrong code.. If you are the 2nd owner of the car, the radio may have been replaced which you may have the original anti-theft card and is not the right code for your current radio.

best thing to do.

there is a left and right side trim piece on your center console. Most likely it will be a mahogany looking piece, remove the piece on the passanger side. It's held in by clips so it just pulls off.

there should be a white sticker on the front/side of your radio where the trim piece was covering it. That is the serial number for that specific radio.

please include your full name and location and vin number of the car so i can verify that you are the current owner of the car. THEN give me the serial number off of the white sticker.

after that, i'll get you your correct code.
I'm not the original owner of this vehicle... my full name is Thai-Binh Phan, I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii.... the VIN for my 99 Acura TL: 19U UA5649XA006892. The serial on the white sticker affixed to the head unit: B80716318.. thanks!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by tigerpause444
I'm not the original owner of this vehicle... my full name is Thai-Binh Phan, I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii.... the VIN for my 99 Acura TL: 19U UA5649XA006892. The serial on the white sticker affixed to the head unit: B80716318.. thanks!!!
He has not been active on this site since feb of 2006.

Are you missing your code?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:43 AM
7th Gear

Holding 1 and 6 is from 01s and up.I had the same problem all my numbers matched the one on the top of radio the one on passenger side under the wood grain trim.The dealership told me the numbers were no good.I spent 50 bucks to have Best Buy pull the head unit for more numbers to call the 800 number.They gave me the same numbers I found myself in 5 minutes.I called the Acura 800 number and they had to drop the last number from the end and it works great.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

What is the 800 number to call and get the code?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

accura radio unlock.

My name is troy Elliott I'm in granada hills California I own a 99 accura tl and I just got a new engine replaced and they unplugged my battery so the security system kicked in
Old 05-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by trpy2796
My name is troy Elliott I'm in granada hills California I own a 99 accura tl and I just got a new engine replaced and they unplugged my battery so the security system kicked in
Welcome to the forum. So what are you looking for? Your Radio code? We cant give that to you. Are you the original owner? Have you looked in your manual, glove box, fuse panel under hood for the code to be printed/written down? If you cant find it, You will have to call Acura to get the information as we dont have access to it.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:21 PM
9th Gear

Try owners.acura.com
First setup an account with them. See previous post about getting your head unit serial number pressing the 1 & 6. You'll also need your VIN number.