How to Renew Your XM Radio for $77 a year.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still Works!!!

Just got the hookup today, XM radio and NavTraffic for $125 for an entire year. Good looking out folks.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Called today and was told no go. I called back, seem to get the same person again (same voice with unique southern accent?), anyhow this time it went through, did not even ask for a code and added traffic for under $125.00 total. Did not activate, called and used their automated setup to resend the signal and it was up and running within minutes. Awesome, thanks! Did all of this while drive from work. The RL continues to impress.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Called yesterday and told them I just bought this RL and wanted to get XM again and use a promotion that I received a while ago...it worked! Since I "bought a new car" they gave me 3 months free and then my $77 will kick in....I didnt get traffic b/c it isnt offered in my area so I figured it would be a waste of money.

Thanks guys!!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

Got my renewal today for $77. This is my 2nd time that I have followed the script EXACTLY and gotten the deal. This time around was the easiest.

I thought I would share the exact details of my renewal:
1) I called the 800-682-4114 number and told them I wanted to cancel my XM renewal.
2) She immediately said she would transfer me to the cancellation dept.
3) The guy that I talked to asked why I wanted to cancel.
4) I told the guy that "its too expensive"! "Its not worth the price your offering in the letter that I received"!
5) He immediately said they could give me the same $77 rate that I received last year.
6) Of course I said yes AND I got them to remove the automatic renewal.
7) He said no problem, they will remove it and send me an invoice in the mail.
8) They didn't ask for the radio code because they have all this information in their database already.
9) They also indicated that in October 2008 you can add the "Best of Sirius" package for $4 extra (Howard Stern, NFL, Nascar, Playboy, etc.) or $2 for the Famil Friendly Package which includes the NFL channels (yeah !!).

Anyway, I appreciate you guys for running this site and giving us all the good tips. I hope my experience is in turn helpful to someone!
Cheers !!!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:14 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

9) They also indicated that in October 2008 you can add the "Best of Sirius" package for $4 extra (Howard Stern, NFL, Nascar, Playboy, etc.) or $2 for the Famil Friendly Package which includes the NFL channels (yeah !!).

I want the NFL...and am willing to pay $4 extra per month for it....however....these rates don't apply to the 77 rate. They are still willing to renew you at $77...they are willing to upgrade you $4 a month for the best of Sirius, but only if you have the full price package.

The rep told me that discount memberships will eventually be there, but not yet...just fwiw.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks! I just followed your script to the letter and just got my contract extended for $77. This is the third year i've gotten XM for $77!

I'm wondering if XM/Serius will finally figure out their product is overpriced at 12.95? I was told by the agent that when I am ready to renew next year, I can specifically request music only stations for $9.95. This is still too expensive. I'd be willing to pay $6.95 a month, no more.

Originally Posted by atomicpunk
Got my renewal today for $77. This is my 2nd time that I have followed the script EXACTLY and gotten the deal. This time around was the easiest.

I thought I would share the exact details of my renewal:
1) I called the 800-682-4114 number and told them I wanted to cancel my XM renewal.
2) She immediately said she would transfer me to the cancellation dept.
3) The guy that I talked to asked why I wanted to cancel.
4) I told the guy that "its too expensive"! "Its not worth the price your offering in the letter that I received"!
5) He immediately said they could give me the same $77 rate that I received last year.
6) Of course I said yes AND I got them to remove the automatic renewal.
7) He said no problem, they will remove it and send me an invoice in the mail.
8) They didn't ask for the radio code because they have all this information in their database already.

Anyway, I appreciate you guys for running this site and giving us all the good tips. I hope my experience is in turn helpful to someone!
Cheers !!!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced

is XM Traffic included ?

Renewal for $77 sounds great-- but what about traffic-- is it included, or can it be added to the $77 special?

Thanks.

Rod
05 RL
Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by acurod
Renewal for $77 sounds great-- but what about traffic-- is it included, or can it be added to the $77 special?

Thanks.

Rod
05 RL
No. That is for the XM music service only. NAVTraffic was in addition. I believe my total bill was $126 + local taxes. I have not paid full subscription fees to XM since my 2005 TL.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRL
No. That is for the XM music service only. NAVTraffic was in addition. I believe my total bill was $126 + local taxes. I have not paid full subscription fees to XM since my 2005 TL.
Correctamundo! Nav was an extra forty seven and change. Worth it if you have traffic flow monitoring in your city.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear

Still Works

Followed the script and had no problems. Great deal!
Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Well yesterday while I was driving through Seattle I remembered that my XM will be expiring in a few weeks and I decided to give them a call. I remembered what I read here the last time and just went with what I remembered. I told them I wanted to cancel, was transferred and put on hold for about 10 minutes ( thank goodness for hands free, but the on hold music was horrible ). Once they got to me, I let them know I was going to cancel and gave that I only use the car on the weekends as my reason, it was and is the truth. She then offered me the same deal I had before, $77/year and I took it. If you have gotten the $77 deal before, you will get it again !
Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Curious, if I wanted to add XM for another vehicle and/or home theater what are the options? Will they give $77 for each? Little difficult to tell them I'm going to cancel unless they give me all three.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 470hpGS400
Curious, if I wanted to add XM for another vehicle and/or home theater what are the options? Will they give $77 for each? Little difficult to tell them I'm going to cancel unless they give me all three.
Guess you will have to call and find out, keep us updated !
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

still works!

My subscription was expiring on Oct 24 so I called them yesterday and got the same deal again for another year.....approximately $125 for both XM and NavTraffic. I was told this will be a one time exception

Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL
My subscription was expiring on Oct 24 so I called them yesterday and got the same deal again for another year.....approximately $125 for both XM and NavTraffic. I was told this will be a one time exception

Thanks guys!!!
It is a one time exception until next year, then there will be another exception, and the year after that and the year after that !
Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Deal done today, in two calls. The first operator asked me for the "savings code" (which was not the "zwinback") and said he couldn't process me without it. The second operator didn't ask for the code, and processed me at the $10.40/mo deal very efficiently.

$10.40 is: (77/yr + 3.98/mo x 12) / 12
Old 11-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Oh yes, the $77 per year rate is a big secret, not.
I searched "xm radio renewal" using Google and I think the first non-sponsored hit was from this site and there are several others from different car brand sites, all quoting the $77/year rate.
So maybe the subterfuge feels good but it is definitely not a secret.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

It sounds like XM has finally figured out what the "sweet spot" pricing wise is. $77/year is reasonable (at least, to me it is).
Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

Another way to get the 1/2 off discount is to just call and cancel, or just say you won't pay full price anymore. They will offer it to you before they let you go. First-hand experience from last week. Budget 20 minutes or so, depending on time of day, to make it through the call tree and operator transfers.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just renewed, but I'll have to save the script for next year as I got the offer in the mail yesterday for $77 renewal rate. I added the traffic nav. I'll give traffic nav another shot as I wasn't too impressed with it when I had for my free trail period.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Renewal fees

Well just got off the phone with XM what a chore. Tried to renew for $77 promotion, was told would not take in computer because I used the promotion last year for $77. He told me to cancel and see if they would offer. He transfered me to cancellation. On hold for 10 mins. then went through the ordeal of telling her canceling because it was too expensive at new rate of $155.50. She then offered it at half price $77 for a year. Tried to sell me some other channels said no. Done deal mine was to expire dec 6. The games you have to play.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by backfire
Well just got off the phone with XM what a chore. Tried to renew for $77 promotion, was told would not take in computer because I used the promotion last year for $77. He told me to cancel and see if they would offer. He transfered me to cancellation. On hold for 10 mins. then went through the ordeal of telling her canceling because it was too expensive at new rate of $155.50. She then offered it at half price $77 for a year. Tried to sell me some other channels said no. Done deal mine was to expire dec 6. The games you have to play.
15 minutes worth of work for $77 saved. I'd say that was worth while.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Here's my story.

I had the $77 deal from mid-October '07 to mid-October '08. This past October, my charge card was charged $155, but I didn't notice this until the first week in December. Last week, I called and told the rep that I was unwilling to continue subscribing at the $155 rate as I rarely used the service, which is true. She apologized but stated that she could not offer the same $77 rate again. I advised her that I wished to cancel and was transferred to another rep. I then repeated my situation and requested to cancel. I was now offered the option of renewing for another year (from the date I was calling) at $77 or a permanent subscription at $399.

I opted for the $77 12-month renewal from the date I called. I was charged the full rate for the month and a half or so from the mid-October full-price renewal, with a credit back to my card (which was processed quickly) for the net refund due.

I hadn't heard about a permanent subscription before. I wonder if it runs with the car (transferable to a new owner) or only as long as you own your car.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ed111
...I hadn't heard about a permanent subscription before. I wonder if it runs with the car (transferable to a new owner) or only as long as you own your car.
It's a lifetime subscription for the radio, not the individual. Doesn't look like a very good deal unless you plan on keeping your car forever.

"A LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION (WHICH IS A SUBSCRIPTION THAT CONTINUES FOR THE LIFE OF THE RECEIVER) IS NOT TRANSFERABLE IF IT IS ASSOCIATED WITH A RECEIVER INSTALLED BY AN AUTOMAKER OR AN AUTOMOTIVE DEALER IN A VEHICLE, EXCEPT IN THE EVENT THE ORIGINAL RECEIVER ASSOCIATED WITH THAT LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION IS STOLEN, ACCIDENTALLY DAMAGED OR, IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, IS DEFECTIVE. A LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION ASSOCIATED WITH A HOME, PORTABLE OR DOCK & PLAY RECEIVER IS TRANSFERABLE FROM ONE RECEIVER TO ANOTHER RECEIVER, UP TO A MAXIMUM OF THREE TIMES. Permitted transfers of Satellite Radio Service Subscriptions are subject to a transfer fee, as set forth herein.

and

If you transfer a Lifetime Satellite Radio Service Subscription from one Receiver to another or from one person to another you will be charged a transfer fee. The transfer fee is currently $75.00.

LL
Old 12-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Wink

I had just received a credit card charge for $24.95 and called XM to find out about it (I've been getting the $77 deal for the last two years already). They told me it was an automatic, pro-rated 3-month renewal fee. I decided not to follow any script this time and simply asked to be transferred to the cancellation group as the new fee was too expensive for someone who only listens to the radio occasionally (I really listen to CD's 90% of the time). I told the new operator that I'd been paying $77 dollars for the service and that's all it was worth to me since I rarely listen to it, and to just go ahead and cancel the service. She immediately offered to renew me again at $77 (no traffic service). So I'm good again for another year without any script haggling.

I know the script works well for most people (and I've used it twice before), but I was feeling a little uncomfortable about being slightly misleading (I never received any promotions). Now I feel good about what I got and how I got it. Happy listening!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

I just talked with XM and told them I wanted to cancel my service to XM and Nav because I did not use the service like I used to. They transfered me to another department and I told them the same story that it was not worth it to me to pay 12.95 per month. They offered me 1/2 off a 3 month, 6 month, or 12 month deal. I took the 12 month deal at 77 per year for XM plus 47.88 for the Nav traffic. I really believe they need as many subscribers as possible.

Good Luck to everyone!

Loren
Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
9th Gear

renewal for mutiple units.

I have a family plan with 5 radios. The first subscription is at $77 and expired about 2 weeks ago with each of the others added later at $6.99 mo. The first unit has been cut off. Anybody have experience renewing for $77 under these or similar circumstances?

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
9th Gear

Just got the "deal" for third year in a row. Had to live without XM for about 3 weeks, but now it's back and more new station choices than ever. Agree, that they are more interested in building volume than making high profit margins. Thanks to this forum for all the advice.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Anyone had any success in 2009??
Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
Anyone had any success in 2009??
I had cancelled my XM service in early December. They had sent me the notice that I was going to "auto-renew" at the full rate, so I called in and 2 different reps wouldn't give me the $77 renewal rate, so I cancelled. My service was supposed to end on 12/27 but didn't shut off until 1/5 or so. I got a call from XM yesterday following up on the cancellation and I mentioned what had happened, and the rep offered me a "special half-price renewal" of $77. She wasn't able to add the NavTraffic for whatever reason so I logged into the website and added it after.

Last edited by dwboston; 01-10-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Got it done yesterday for the $77 rate. However, I had to go through the whole "cancellation" process. Had to be transferred to the cancellation department where they asked why I was cancelling the service. They have the authority to offer the rate as a way to save business.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I received my letter yesterday telling me my XM would renew (at standard rates) on March 3. I called them today and told them to disable the automatic renewal as I was probably going to just let it expire. The rep (India) explained that my current ($77) deal was for one year only to which I said, no problem, I'll just listen to my iPod. Next thing I knew I was transferred to a different rep (in Jamaica) who "reviewed my account" and told me that since I was such a good customer I could have the $77 deal for another year. Actually, she offered six months first but I told her I'd only settle for a year. I added Nav traffic and a second radio (my wife's MDX) at regular price ($3.99/month, billed up front, for the traffic and $6.99/month, billed quarterly, for the MDX) but still got the $77 RL renewal.

LL
Old 01-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I wonder if this would work on my Sirius as well, since they have now successfully merged. Yes I am aware that they are still two companies when it comes to XM and Sirius, but now they are under the same management. I will keep you guys updated.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Advanced

In late December, I received a letter in the mail that my subscription would expire on Jan. 9th. I called on that date to try and renew for the $77 rate. I told them that if I didn't get the $77 rate I was going to cancel. I also was going to cancel my subscription on my Infiniti G37 since I often listen to music on either the built in hard drive, or from compact flash memory cards. Plus I don't drive the Infiniti if it snows. They ended up giving me the $77 rate for each car, so I agreed. They also told me that each subscription would automatically renew at the normal rate one year from that date.
I asked the customer service rep. about adding a new car with a Sirius radio to the same account later in the year. He told me that even though the two companies have merged, the billing is still separate between the XM and Sirius branches. So if I buy the car with the Sirius, I'd have to pay full price for that subscription.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
9th Gear

After 15 minutes of groveling and threatening to cancel all five radios, the cancellation lady agreed to renew the primary unit at $77 with three months free on another unit that was due to renew on Feb 1st. Sucking up is hard to do.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM
10th Gear

I just renewed today for $77. It took three people and 35 minutes to complete the process, but it worked. Stuck with the "I'm cancelling my radio" approach along with a threat to inform my credit card company that XM had charged my account without authorization using an expired credit card number.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
I had cancelled my XM service in early December. They had sent me the notice that I was going to "auto-renew" at the full rate, so I called in and 2 different reps wouldn't give me the $77 renewal rate, so I cancelled. My service was supposed to end on 12/27 but didn't shut off until 1/5 or so. I got a call from XM yesterday following up on the cancellation and I mentioned what had happened, and the rep offered me a "special half-price renewal" of $77. She wasn't able to add the NavTraffic for whatever reason so I logged into the website and added it after.
Originally Posted by Treblig
Got it done yesterday for the $77 rate. However, I had to go through the whole "cancellation" process. Had to be transferred to the cancellation department where they asked why I was cancelling the service. They have the authority to offer the rate as a way to save business.
Originally Posted by lland
I received my letter yesterday telling me my XM would renew (at standard rates) on March 3. I called them today and told them to disable the automatic renewal as I was probably going to just let it expire. The rep (India) explained that my current ($77) deal was for one year only to which I said, no problem, I'll just listen to my iPod. Next thing I knew I was transferred to a different rep (in Jamaica) who "reviewed my account" and told me that since I was such a good customer I could have the $77 deal for another year. Actually, she offered six months first but I told her I'd only settle for a year. I added Nav traffic and a second radio (my wife's MDX) at regular price ($3.99/month, billed up front, for the traffic and $6.99/month, billed quarterly, for the MDX) but still got the $77 RL renewal.

LL
Originally Posted by hwajr
After 15 minutes of groveling and threatening to cancel all five radios, the cancellation lady agreed to renew the primary unit at $77 with three months free on another unit that was due to renew on Feb 1st. Sucking up is hard to do.
Originally Posted by Bartmanhoff
I just renewed today for $77. It took three people and 35 minutes to complete the process, but it worked. Stuck with the "I'm cancelling my radio" approach along with a threat to inform my credit card company that XM had charged my account without authorization using an expired credit card number.
Looks as though next year's $77 renewal is gonna be a tough one!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Looks as though next year's $77 renewal is gonna be a tough one!
And the rates are going up!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/21/s...se-this-march/
Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Instructor

I guess I got lucky!! I just renewed mine yesterday for the second time and for the same amount - $77.00. I asked if I could add my wife's EX35 and he said yes, but it would be an additional $90 give or take a couple of bucks. I will call back in the next couple of days to renew her radio to see what they say. She doesn't care for it but I'd like to have it when I actually drive it...

Later,
Old 01-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I got my Ody renewed for the 3rd time. I called once and said I had "the deal" via e-mail, but the CSR asked for a "code", which I didn't have. I tried ZWINBACK, but he said that years ago. He attempted to transfer me, and it disconnected.

A few days later I all but made up my mind to cancel, since I barely drive the van, and it has a crappy radio. Lo and behold, you call to cancel and the CSR actually transfers you and the new CSR offers the deal again which I humbly accept.

We'll see how it goes in July when the RL is due. If nothing else, it should be eligible for a 2nd radio discount of some sort.

I am somewhat disappointed with the lineup, though. They combined the San Diego weather and traffic with Phoenix. I mean, really, who wants to hear about Phoenix!

Rob144

Quick Reply: How to Renew Your XM Radio for $77 a year.