How did Lexus get so far ahead of Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
we get it.
you're a Lexus Fanboy, who likes to swing facts around about how well your brand is doing.

pitching stats wont change people's perception.

That is why we take you as a Tommy.

Like we told you in the first post, we've heard this shit before...Tommy.
The following users liked this post:
p.diddy (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottLong
It speaks to how good the LS is though when this is the oldest car in the segment and yet it still finished neck and neck against the 7 series in 2013. The LS is a 76,000USD+ car and managed over 10,000 sales in 2013 with a very old and outdated model. The 'Refresh' helped, but it's essentially the same old LS. I fully expect the new LS to take over the segment lead again once it launches sometimes in 2016.
This is actually not the case. The platform is the same. Anyone who has driven the pre-facelift & the new car will see a night & day difference. They completely re-designed everything including the technology inside & the way the car drives.

That's why it's hard to believe they're still the same generation; they don't feel like it at all.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
we get it.
you're a Lexus Fanboy, who likes to swing facts around about how well your brand is doing.

pitching stats wont change people's perception.

That is why we take you as a Tommy.

Like we told you in the first post, we've heard this shit before...Tommy.

but apparently Im totally in the wrong for pointing out a that a newbie's thread is yet another re-hash

And now he has to keep defending his thread to me. Not sure why...as its continuing on with the discussion, which I have been a part of.

I must really tickle his sphincter.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S

$55K if you tick every single box, sure. A 328i with just the Premium & Technology package is all it really needs; under $50K.

You'll find this trend in all the Germans, though.

It's a pretty well founded opinion because again, the styling Lexus continued with was pretty conservative & now it looks even more outdated with the new styling.

Hard to believe how much older the left looks now considering these are both 4th Generation LS'.

You will need more than just premium and technology package to make 328 presentable since it really does not have a lot of standard features, thus why the same package for 328/320 cost more than than 335.

You will need the following:
Lighting package
Sport/Msport
Tech
Premium

and it was not a pretty founded opinion because he said the Lexus was mediocre and bland.

I can agree with the bland part since Lexus was made for older crowd but it was not mediocre as it has successfully built its prestige/service/loyalty.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Because Lexus had to make a bold move to attract an younger crowd. Before that grille, Lexus' really was something of an older folks' car. You had the IS for the young guys, but everything else was styled a lot more conservative to what it is now. The clientele for each model is actually still roughly the same (bar the RX), but the cars like the ES certainly don't look like Grandma's Avalon gussied up with "L" badge anymore.

In the end, it worked out perfectly.

I am part of that young crowd and the new look makes me want to slap a designer and yell LESS IS MORE.

Tail lights

The drag tool does NOT make you a designer. Kills the profile in my opinion and the reflectors just add insult to injury there. Too edgy and aggressive. Subtle is good. That is anything but.

Front grill

This is getting out of hand. MORE GRILL!!

P.S. This is circling the bimmer forums

Looks like some of us aren't the only ones.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 PM
The Third Ball

The new lexus design language and predator grill are awesome. Very aggressive, definitely not bland. And you know its a Lexus when you see it.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Team Owner

At this point, i will gladly take that ugly motherfucker over this:

Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I hated the Lexus front end in person. I hated the IS exterior overall, actually. You can go back in time and see my posts proclaiming bloody murder.

After seeing many of them in person, I really like them now... to the point where I really like the idea of the turbo 4-cyl from the NX being nestled under the hood of the IS.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by usdmJON
I am part of that young crowd and the new look makes me want to slap a designer and yell LESS IS MORE.
i am sorry but i just have to say this.

Is that why you got the 150hp civic.. i mean ILX? because less is more?
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
RPhilMan1 (09-04-2014), Undying Dreams (09-04-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
lol at the Predator comparison.... it is surprisingly accurate though....
Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Tail lights

The drag tool does NOT make you a designer. Kills the profile in my opinion and the reflectors just add insult to injury there. Too edgy and aggressive. Subtle is good. That is anything but.

Front grill

This is getting out of hand. MORE GRILL!!

P.S. This is circling the bimmer forums

Is that why the IS is universally praised by the vast majority of car reviwers when the ILX is bashed?

Is that why the new IS is outselling everything outside of the 3 Series? The Lexus IS MSRP at 37000+base. is outselling the ATS,A4,Q50, and outsold the TL+ILX combined.

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/newly...ear-milestones

Keep in mind the IS is not even Lexus's bread and butter. It's traditionally one of the LEAST important Lexus cars. RX/LS/ES/GS were all viewed as more important cars by Lexus. Is was always more of a 'niche' lineup for Lexus. Yet this 'niche' lineup just sold another 5000+ Units in August. This 'niche' lineup have managed to beat the 3 Series in a variety of comparisons. This 'niche' lineup has been a huge hit.

You know what kind of people don't matter to Lexus? The people on the forums that called the new IS ugly. You know what kind of people matters to Lexus? The tens of thousands and tens of thousands of buyers shelling out 40,000+ per car...........to actually get a new IS.

The average buyer have spoken with their big wallets. And their wallets scream that the new IS has been a major success.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Banned

The ILX is a good little car. But for an ILX driver to bash the new Lexus IS and claim a lot of 'buyers' hate it and dislike it. Well that's just amusing to me.

The Lexus IS sold 5315 Units in August. The much cheaper and lower segment ILX sold around 5500 units in the last FOUR MONTHS COMBINED..........
Money talks.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Team Owner

Is that why the IS is universally praised by the vast majority of car reviwers when the ILX is bashed?

Is that why the new IS is outselling everything outside of the 3 Series? The Lexus IS MSRP at 37000+base. is outselling the ATS,A4,Q50, and outsold the TL+ILX combined.

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/newly...ear-milestones

Keep in mind the IS is not even Lexus's bread and butter. It's traditionally one of the LEAST important Lexus cars. RX/LS/ES/GS were all viewed as more important cars by Lexus. Is was always more of a 'niche' lineup for Lexus. Yet this 'niche' lineup just sold another 5000+ Units in August. This 'niche' lineup have managed to beat the 3 Series in a variety of comparisons. This 'niche' lineup has been a huge hit.

You know what kind of people don't matter to Lexus? The people on the forums that called the new IS ugly. You know what kind of people matters to Lexus? The tens of thousands and tens of thousands of buyers shelling out 40,000+ per car...........to actually get a new IS.

The average buyer have spoken with their big wallets. And their wallets scream that the new IS has been a major success.
You start sounding like TLX fanboys but for IS.
No one is here to argue that IS is a good product regardless its looks. Some might like it and some might not.

You cannot change people's opinion.

Even tho i would take IS over TLX/ILX but that does not say much about IS since a lot of us will take a lot of cars over TLX/ILX

its got a great interior/debatable exterior and outdated engine and autotragic.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Ok, it all makes sense now. I can't believe I didn't see it before. Thanks, Sarlacc. Only Tommy could be this big of a Lexus nutswinger. When you have an agenda, it really shows. I don't think an IP check is even needed... can it get any more obvious?

Join date only a few days old... comes in Car Talk of all places, pops off about how high and mighty Lexus is. Probably doesn't post in any other sections or about anything other than Lexus.

I wasn't really around for 1sicklex... could it be?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
You will need more than just premium and technology package to make 328 presentable since it really does not have a lot of standard features, thus why the same package for 328/320 cost more than than 335.

You will need the following:
Lighting package
Xenon & adaptive lighting are not needed to make it more presentable.

Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, & Driver Assistance Packages add far more to the car than this if presentation is what you're going for.

Sport/Msport
These are nothing more than aesthetics (wheels, body "kit", exclusive options). They are no more needed than the Luxury line.
Tech
Premium
Which I agreed.
and it was not a pretty founded opinion because he said the Lexus was mediocre and bland.

I can agree with the bland part since Lexus was made for older crowd but it was not mediocre as it has successfully built its prestige/service/loyalty.
This is fine, except they were still mediocre cars just behind the Germans years ago. Like Cadillac, the decision to drastically change everything from the appearance of an Old People's car is what brought them this new found fame they had in the 90's.

Obviously the decision to go this route was more hit than miss unlike Acura's beak.

So, you're entitled to your opinion of what you think design is, but for the majority of folks, it works. Else, Lexus would be facing the same path Acura is in now trying to find a way to save face.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

you can tell by asking the following questions:

Do do you think will win 0-60 race between IS350 and RLX Hybrid SHAWD both equipped with all season tires?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Costco
Ok, it all makes sense now. I can't believe I didn't see it before. Thanks, Sarlacc. Only Tommy could be this big of a Lexus nutswinger. When you have an agenda, it really shows. I don't think an IP check is even needed... can it get any more obvious?

Join date only a few days old... comes in Car Talk of all places, pops off about how high and mighty Lexus is. Probably doesn't post in any other sections or about anything other than Lexus.

I wasn't really around for 1sicklex... could it be?
I'm not Lsicklexx or Tommy. I like all cars......I back up all car brands. I use stats and facts not emotions. I'm a Math Major so I'm really into stats. But IP check me and even 'State Check' me if you must. I'm not Tommy or Lsicklexx.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Xenon & adaptive lighting are not needed to make it more presentable.

Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, & Driver Assistance Packages add far more to the car than this if presentation is what you're going for.

These are nothing more than aesthetics (wheels, body "kit", exclusive options). They are no more needed than the Luxury line.
Which I agreed.
This is fine, except they were still mediocre cars just behind the Germans years ago. Like Cadillac, the decision to drastically change everything from the appearance of an Old People's car is what brought them this new found fame they had in the 90's.

Obviously the decision to go this route was more hit than miss unlike Acura's beak.

So, you're entitled to your opinion of what you think design is, but for the majority of folks, it works else Lexus would be facing the same path Acura is in now trying to find a way to safe face.
you are ok with a $50k with halogen headlights without angel eyes? I am not. HID/LED angels eyes are the first thing i would get... i would kick myself for having halogen headlights when $25k Mazda 3 has HID.
and
M sport/sport is more than just bumper and wheels. i can give you a whole list of things why it is needed.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-03-2014 at 10:20 PM.
RPhilMan1 (09-04-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Um, the IS is most certainly Lexus' bread & butter & it is one of the most important cars in the line-up. It is the 3rd best selling vehicle by a long shot.

If rich parents aren't buying their kids 3 Series or C-Classes, they're buying them an IS. I don't believe for a second the IS is a niche market to have such a control over the sales figures, else we find the aforementioned Germans as niche cars too considering they are all entry level to the brand.

The LS & GS are important, but they are not cars Lexus' tries to push. They do not bring in the biggest profits & they do not push dealers to sell these models. The people who buy these know they want & are in a higher tier of buyers with a $60-$70,000+ budget to spend on a car. For many, the ES sells so much better because it's not as expensive, it's not as sporty, or it's not too much car.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:27 PM
The Third Ball

Um, the IS is most certainly Lexus' bread & butter & it is one of the most important cars in the line-up. It is the 3rd best selling vehicle by a long shot.

If rich parents aren't buying their kids 3 Series or C-Classes, they're buying them an IS. I don't believe for a second the IS is a niche market to have such a control over the sales figures, else we find the aforementioned Germans as niche cars too considering they are all entry level to the brand.

The LS & GS are important, but they are not cars Lexus' tries to push. They do not bring in the biggest profits & they do not push dealers to sell these models. The people who buy these know they want & are in a higher tier of buyers with a $60-$70,000+ budget to spend on a car. For many, the ES sells so much better because it's not as expensive, it's not as sporty, or it's not too much car.

Not sure where they hell he came up with that. Its the RX, IS, and ES...not necessarily in that order...but the RX is definitely #1.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Team Owner

Niche market = SC430
Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 PM
The Third Ball

Niche market = SC430
That was a great car, too. Handled way better than you would have thought on a autoX course...quick, smooth, fun. I got to drive one around Pheonix for a few hours and it was a blast.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

you are ok with a $50k with halogen headlights without angel eyes? I am not. HID/LED angels eyes are the first thing i would get... i would kick myself for having halogen headlights when $25k Mazda 3 has HID.
and
That's fine. It doesn't change the fact it's not a required option to enjoy the car.
M sport/sport is more than just bumper and wheels. i can give you a whole list of things why it is needed.
You couldn't give anything I don't already know; there's 2 sitting in the driveway right now.

Sport:
18" alloys
Multifunction Steering Wheel
Black kidney grille
Different headliner
Sport Instrument panel
Black exterior trim

M-Sport:
18" alloys
M-Steering Wheel
Aerodynamic kit (basically ground effects)
Different headliner
Sport Instrument panel
Shadow exterior trim

As I said, they're nothing more than wheels, kit, & exclusive options. It's all aesthetics & personal taste that has no bearing on making the car anymore enjoyable from a driving standpoint.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sarlacc

Not sure where they hell he came up with that. Its the RX, IS, and ES...not necessarily in that order...but the RX is definitely #1.
Ok I made that statement up. I'm man enough to admit my mistakes.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Banned

It's their bread and butter now. Was it their bread and butter in 2007 when their newly made LS sold over 35,000 units at a much higher price tag?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Banned

I'm learning so much from this thread! Thanks all for participating!
I'm Black so it's cool talking to y'all about cars and stuff since most of my homies only know stuff about rims.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Team Owner

That's fine. It doesn't change the fact it's not a required option to enjoy the car.

You couldn't give anything I don't already know; there's 2 sitting in the driveway right now.

Sport:
18" alloys
Multifunction Steering Wheel
Black kidney grille
Different headliner
Sport Instrument panel
Black exterior trim

M-Sport:
18" alloys
M-Steering Wheel
Aerodynamic kit (basically ground effects)
Different headliner
Sport Instrument panel
Shadow exterior trim

As I said, they're nothing more than wheels, kit, & exclusive options. It's all aesthetics & personal taste that has no bearing on making the car anymore enjoyable from a driving standpoint.
um...

Did you know that M sport has extra cooling that is located behind the non existent foglights?

Both M sport and sport have different suspension than Non Sport/msport, Sport+ and 4 piston Brembo and bigger rotors?

M sport/Sport RWD have lower ride height than other lines including AWD Sport/Msport

M sport/sport has sport lighting (White) and sport display on the Navi?

The only way to get staggered summer tires is from M sport RWD

If those do not enhance driving experience, then i really don't know what will.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-03-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Has this thread run its course into ...?

Yeah, looks like it. Who wants a ...?
The following 3 users liked this post by Yumcha:
p.diddy (09-03-2014), ttribe (09-03-2014), YeuEmMaiMai (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

LEXUS IS350!!!! FOH LIFE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Name:  jerkbowdown.gif
Views: 158
Size:  1.8 KB @ Lexus...
Old 09-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
+1 for the padlock
Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

One vote for the . 2 more and it seals the deal.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

In the meantime:

Name:  jerkbowdown.gif
Views: 157
Size:  1.8 KB @ Lexus s'more...
Old 09-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
Lock this shit up. He's sounding more and more like a troll.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 PM
The Third Ball

It's their bread and butter now. Was it their bread and butter in 2007 when their newly made LS sold over 35,000 units at a much higher price tag?
The LS is not and never was a bread and butter car....neither is the S class or the 7 series. They were not designed to be big unit movers.

Accords, Civics, ES, Camry, Corrola, IS, RX, MDX, CRV, Grand Cherokee, etc etc etc...those are bread and butter cars. Designed and built to move large numbers every month without fail.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by p.diddy
Lock this shit up. He's sounding more and more like a troll.
Are you calling trolls black? thats racist!!!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Are you calling trolls black? thats racist!!!!!
Lol no I'm talking about his entire body of work in this thread. Like someone mentioned before who joins a forum just to start a thread in car talk?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Suzuka Master

um...

If those do not enhance driving experience, then i really don't know what will.
Some people don't want that because it changes the car. It's the reason we have 2; one without all the M goodies, & one originally with them.

Try to actually look at it from someone who isn't a car enthusiast.
They sold 93,000+ in 2007.

Why are you so intent on using the car with some of the lowest sales figures in the brand against the other cars? If anything, the most impressive vehicle in Lexus' line-up in the higher price bracket is the GX; it makes more profit per volume than any other model.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Based on the new thread he started he's definitely a troll.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

And that's 3 votes.

Sorry ScottShort...but, this thread has run its course.
Ken1997TL (09-04-2014)