Courtesy door light not working/constantly on

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Courtesy door light not working/constantly on

I tried putting in some leds into the courtesy lights. My driver door one doesnt turn on anymore . my passanger door one is constantly on. The back ones are working fine. Did some research and most people say take it to the dealer...but i bought it used so...anyone find a DIY solution to this common problem? I just wanted white leds lol . Thanks!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:53 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
reverse the polarity.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
reverse the polarity.
First thing i did also made sure all co
Old 08-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
If your warranty is still valid, put back the stock halogen bulbs, go to the dealership, ask them what's going on. I'm sure they will tell you that the MICU (fusebox) is defective, and they will replace it. And then, maybe buy new LEDs? It happened to me twice, had to go to the dealer and wait for weeks for the fusebox to come in. I happened to short-circuit the thing, and that's what happens, it breaks your MICU, there's no fuse for the door lights. If you're out of warranty, it will cost you hundred's of dollars.. it took them 5 hours each time to replace it.

Last edited by leo200617; 08-23-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:12 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by leo200617
If your warranty is still valid, put back the stock halogen bulbs, go to the dealership, ask them what's going on. I'm sure they will tell you that the MICU (fusebox) is defective, and they will replace it. And then, maybe buy new LEDs? It happened to me twice, had to go to the dealer and wait for weeks for the fusebox to come in. I happened to short-circuit the thing, and that's what happens, it breaks your MICU, there's no fuse for the door lights. If you're out of warranty, it will cost you hundred's of dollars.. it took them 5 hours each time to replace it.
So you are advocating that he commit warranty fraud like you did?

The OP broke it. He needs to pay to fix it.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
'needs' is your opinion. the stealer will F you anytime they get a chance.....might as well pay them back some/

i say commit fraud and be happy about it.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
One of my rear courtesy door lights stopped working too... I didn't even touch it lol
Old 08-24-2014, 11:08 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by I CU2
One of my rear courtesy door lights stopped working too... I didn't even touch it lol
That may be a warranty issue.

I'm appalled at the lack of ethics of some of the more senior members of this board. Dealers will deny warranty service exactly for this reason - that they've been burned by people breaking stuff and then filing warranty claims.

Everybody who commits warranty fraud is making life more difficult for themselves and for others.

Dealers are required to send defective parts back to Honda/Acura for evaluation. Once Honda determines that the fault was not caused by a manufacturer's defect, then they charge back the costs to the dealer. The next time a customer comes in with a similar problem (like I CU2), then that warranty repair will be denied.

If the dealer feels strongly enough, they can file a criminal complaint for warranty fraud
Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
So you are advocating that he commit warranty fraud like you did?

The OP broke it. He needs to pay to fix it.
I never said I committed fraud.

I agree that I'm suggesting him a simple but not honest solution if he's under warranty. I actually left the LEDs in the doors both times when I went to the dealership because I had hardwired (soldered) LED strips in the doors and I didn't want to remove all of that. The car didn't even have 300km on the odometer when the second time happened. I told the service manager that the courtesy light stopped working after I put LEDs. I was ready to pay for the damage I've done. He just told me what I've done with the LEDs inside the car were cool and told me to remove the interior light fuse when working on the lights.

Let's just say the service manager at my dealership was very kind.

For timmywanabreak, you can chose to be honest or not if you're still under warranty. It's up to you depending on your situation. If you're not covered anymore, being honest would be the best way. You have no choice to go to the dealership to repair this problem unless you want a broken courtesy light.

If you're comfortable playing with the panels and wires, you can always tap into the footwell lights, run a wire through the door and into the courtesy light. That's what I did after the second time. I didn't want to mess up the complicated circuit again. When you short-circuit the footwell lights, it actually breaks the interior light fuse under the hood so you can just replace it. Took me 1 hour to do two doors. It's quite easy. Tell me if you want to go this route, I'll help you in the process if you encounter any problems.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Oh yeah and when you tap into the footwell lights, you get that dimming effect. It's pretty cool