Remote Start for 4G TL?

Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Remote Start for 4G TL?

Has anyone found a remote start system that works with the 09 TL? My Acura dealer, as well as my local Honda dealers said they wouldnt touch them yet because they were too electrical and didnt know of any systems that worked.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the major companies are in the process. I think a few can be put in the TL without push button start. I'm waiting for mine and will update when available.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Great! Thanks for the quick response, hopefully by next winter we'll be good to go!

I found it funny too at the dealer, I was playing on their computer, and all the internet is blocked besides acura.com and acurazine :-x
Old 11-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Racer

Im using my iphone now, but one company should be ready in a few wks so im told.. I always have starters, i hate freezin.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The dealership by me is doing it but they require you to use a second slim fob, they cannot integrate into the stock fob. They are charging $650 for it. $250 for the remote/chip copy and $400 for install.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor

$650 seems crazyily high, but with the keyless entry I didnt hold out hope for a steal. I'll wait until my dealer does a few before I jump the gun, but I totally would like one
Old 11-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CleanCL
The dealership by me is doing it but they require you to use a second slim fob, they cannot integrate into the stock fob. They are charging $650 for it. $250 for the remote/chip copy and $400 for install.
Careful, most factory starters have very limited range. Sometimes only in the hundreds of feet range. Which in reality means much less when the signal has to go through walls, buildings.. etc. I have had many and usually you get less than 1/2 the real rating unless you're outside and there is nothing at all between you and the car. My last one was 1/2 mile range and that was barely adequate for me. Say you're out somewhere having dinner and the car is a block or two away in a garage, then it barely reaches. You may want to wait until DEI (Viper) or CompuStar come out with theirs, I am.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wavehogger
Careful, most factory starters have very limited range. Sometimes only in the hundreds of feet range. Which in reality means much less when the signal has to go through walls, buildings.. etc. I have had many and usually you get less than 1/2 the real rating unless you're outside and there is nothing at all between you and the car. My last one was 1/2 mile range and that was barely adequate for me. Say you're out somewhere having dinner and the car is a block or two away in a garage, then it barely reaches. You may want to wait until DEI (Viper) or CompuStar come out with theirs, I am.
I've had many remote starts. The only time I use it is when my car is parked overnight or for a very long time.

But yes, I'm waiting for my local A/V shop to get the info for the remote start, I expect it to be a lot less. I'm just letting everyone know the dealership is doing it. Essentially they have been since the 3G TL-S because it has push button start as well. So if your dealership says they can't do it yet, then I'd go to a new dealership.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL
I've had many remote starts. The only time I use it is when my car is parked overnight or for a very long time.

But yes, I'm waiting for my local A/V shop to get the info for the remote start, I expect it to be a lot less. I'm just letting everyone know the dealership is doing it. Essentially they have been since the 3G TL-S because it has push button start as well. So if your dealership says they can't do it yet, then I'd go to a new dealership.
the 3g TL-S does NOT have push button start. i should know since i own one lol.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
oh and im surprised acura doesnt have that feature from the start. if chrysler has the remote start option from the factory, why cant acura.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't seem to be a Honda or Acura option for whatever reason. I know I park mine in a garage so remote start isn't big for me.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Instructor

http://kcautosound.com/Code-Alarm-CA...-1-pr-618.html

This is the remote start which I put on my 08 Nissan Altima. It's really nice with good range and it will flash when the car starts so you know it is on.

My Altima has a push button start like the new TL... so you're options are limited. When I had it done about 10 months ago there was no way to replace the key fob, so I had to get a second transmitter. It is not ideal, but it gets the job done.

It's fairly small size too and more importantly it works really well!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by paliknight
the 3g TL-S does NOT have push button start. i should know since i own one lol.
Sorry, made a mistake... doesn't some other Acura have push-button? I thought something did... is the 4G TL the first??
Old 12-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Racer

The OEM remote starter was put on our Demo 09 TL right from the get go...not a fan of the factory starter as the key fob is HUGE.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Racer

And the factory Acura remote start is only available in Canada, not the US.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stash
It doesn't seem to be a Honda or Acura option for whatever reason. I know I park mine in a garage so remote start isn't big for me.
The accord has it, and the MDX i believe has an option for it as well stock from acura. They're prewired for it, like a lot of the new GM vehichles...

And the factory Acura remote start is only available in Canada, not the US.

I just looked at acura.ca just for the hell of it, and jeez, $875CAD ($700USD) for the TL remote start..wow...

Last edited by PaulNY; 12-03-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RoyalBlue09
The accord has it, and the MDX i believe has an option for it as well stock from acura. They're prewired for it, like a lot of the new GM vehichles..
I see it for the accord, but didn't see it for the MDX. It should be a dealer installed option, but I don't think it should ever be standard.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Wild Child

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
The OEM remote starter was put on our Demo 09 TL right from the get go...not a fan of the factory starter as the key fob is HUGE.
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. I saw the key fob for the 08' MDX with remote starter and it looked rediculous.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 AM
10th Gear

My dealer offered it to me. But since I was not interested in it, I never asked the finance guy the price. If anyone is interested, I can find out.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Instructor

I made a few calls today, just out of curiosity, to Acura Candada, US Acura, and an Ontario dealer to see if the Canadian factory remote start was compatible. I have property near the border, so it wouldnt have been too much out of the way to go get it....but no one has any idea.

Acura Candada told me to call a canadian dealership and talk to service...that dealer told me they think it should work, but to call Acura America...Acura America had no idea, and couldnt give me a definitive answer either way...
Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Racer

I was told by an Acura tech that the Canadian starter is only good if you want to start the car while it's inside your own garage or you can see it out a window and it's no more than a few hundred feet away. And it doesn't come with any extra features that most of the major aftermarket company ones have.

And there is bad news. I just called a contact who works in the world of modules for all manufacturers. The TL push start won't be ready until the fall. They haven't even started on it yet because other vehicles are in line that aren't done yet. The Dodge Ram, Challenger, Lincoln MKZ, and many of the new Ford models are all in the works, to name a few. They all use their own softwares now so each module takes a lot of R&D to figure out. It takes them many weeks with one car to break down the programming, then develop their software, and then test it for all types of weather and user situations etc. It's not as simple as it used to be. And often the biggest delay is just getting their hands on a car that they can hold on to for a month, that they can rip apart and play with. Anyone want to volunteer for that?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Instructor

I was told by an Acura tech that the Canadian starter is only good if you want to start the car while it's inside your own garage or you can see it out a window and it's no more than a few hundred feet away. And it doesn't come with any extra features that most of the major aftermarket company ones have.

And there is bad news. I just called a contact who works in the world of modules for all manufacturers. The TL push start won't be ready until the fall. They haven't even started on it yet because other vehicles are in line that aren't done yet. The Dodge Ram, Challenger, Lincoln MKZ, and many of the new Ford models are all in the works, to name a few. They all use their own softwares now so each module takes a lot of R&D to figure out. It takes them many weeks with one car to break down the programming, then develop their software, and then test it for all types of weather and user situations etc. It's not as simple as it used to be. And often the biggest delay is just getting their hands on a car that they can hold on to for a month, that they can rip apart and play with. Anyone want to volunteer for that?
Well, mostly what I'd use it for is out my window to start the car in the morning, or at night before I have to go somewhere...so distance isn't a huge issue (I'm used to it, the stock TL keypad has horrible distance as it is, really have to be close to it..)

Good to hear that its at least still in the works on the AM front though. Thanks for the heads up
Old 05-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Instructor

why would the Candian Car be different with regards to remote start?

I can see a Euro or Asian market car being different, but all North American cars should be the same I would think..

along that lines, what is the Network Bus on the 2009 TL? I have been hacking and programming the Chrysler CanBus for several years, I would like to dive into the Acura one as well..

also what is the dealer diagnostic tool for the Acura (TL) I own my own Chrysler Star Scan tool, and when the 300C goes I'll sell the tool, I'd like to get a Acura one so I can start hacking the cars network once I own the car..
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I recently purchased a Titan remote start for my 09 TL. Getting it installed on the 23. Guess they worked out all the kinks. Price aint bad, cost only $600 for starter and install and has 4000 ft range. Also comes with text start. Don't know if they have them in the states though but plenty up here.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok gang, I never come over to this side meaning 2009 model. but to be clear any remote start system should not be a problem as long a proper bypass mudule is being used.

here is one example and the functionality how it will integrade with your vehicle.

http://www.bypasskit.com/index.aspx

CANMAX400 - 400.HONDA5 0.09 (2009 Acura TL)
W2W
DL-Arm Factory Security
DL-Disarm Factory Security
DL-Door Lock Control
DL-Door Unlock
DL-Driver Priority Unlock
DL-Trunk / Hatch Release
PK-Immobilizer Bypass-Data No Key Req'd
SS-ALL Entry Point Monitoring

D2D
AV-Domelight Activation
DL-Arm Factory Security
DL-Disarm Factory Security
DL-Door Lock Control
DL-Door Unlock
DL-Driver Priority Unlock
DL-Trunk / Hatch Release

FOB-Alarm control by factory remote
PK-Immobilizer Bypass-Data No Key Req'd
RS-RAP Shut Down (Remote ACC Power)
RS-Tach / RPM Output
SS-Alarm control by factory remote
SS-Entry Monitoring ALL Door Pins
SS-Entry Monitoring Front Door Pins
SS-Entry Monitoring Hood Pin
SS-Entry Monitoring Trunk/Hatch Pin
ST-Brake Status (foot brake) This is needed to fool the system for remote start.
ST-Door Locks Status
ST-Ignition Status

Now since this out the way, the next problem is to fool the system telling it that someone is actually pushing that button.

that can be accomplished with few 12v relays. this has been done way to many times on other cars with push button start.

hope this helps a bit.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TJ Zooker
I recently purchased a Titan remote start for my 09 TL. Getting it installed on the 23. Guess they worked out all the kinks. Price aint bad, cost only $600 for starter and install and has 4000 ft range. Also comes with text start. Don't know if they have them in the states though but plenty up here.
You're lucky TJ, the remote start has been available for the Base model since it went on sale. It's the Tech that has the, "Keyless Access System with smart entry, pushbutton ignition and Acura personalized settings for driver's seat, side mirrors, select audio and navigation settings and more"

The module isn't finished yet and should be in the fall as I posted above.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Sorry to dig up an old thread...but I finally bit the bullet and got a Viper 5901 alarm/remote start installed (2 way feedback, LCD screen, mile range)

Took ~5 hours for the dealer to get it installed, which from what I heard isnt terrible.

Remote start works fantastic, alarm is solid so far, only drawback for me right now is that if I arm the alarm system with the Viper keypad, I cannot enter the car with the proximity sensors on the doors. It technically 'works' but it will sound the alarm because its not bypassing the aftermarket alarm. My installer said its not possible to tie in to them, but they werent really sure.

Anyone have any experience hooking in an AM alarm system into the prox sensors?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Instructor

All of the factory keyless, door sensors, etc....have all been worked out. I cant remember the name of one of the companies I heard about but its a guy that used to work for DEI he has a company that has all the correct kits for the door sensors, keyless etc. The place near me is one of the top install shops. They also are approved to do remote starts on manual cars also now also. They have a way of doing it so its fool proof. I have to ask about all the specifics, it was a brief conversation I had with my friend who work there.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:43 AM
Cruisin'

I have this on my 2010 sh-awd tech. I had the dealer include it in the deal, but buying it from the parts dept would cost 600-700. it works but you need to be within a couple hundred feet. works fine for me at home outside the window.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Instructor

remote start is definitely worth having in my climate!!