Seat comfort....

Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat comfort....

My back is killing me in the RDX driver's seat. I've tried every position possible - I think its because the lumbar support is extremely firm, and pokes me in the wrong part of my back - so I have it backed off, and I'm not getting any lower back support.

The rough ride of my 07 exacerbates the problem.

Does anyone else have the same complaint, and can suggest anything to try?
Old 04-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Instructor

The lumbar height is adjusted by the vertical position of the headrest. Try adjusting that.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Patronus
The lumbar height is adjusted by the vertical position of the headrest. Try adjusting that.
Hey, thanks! I had no idea it could be moved. I'll try this first thing tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Racer

Hmmm...I tried changing the height of the headrest, and the lumbar doesn't appear to change at all.

I also looked in the manual, and could find no mention of this. Are you sure?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
Hmmm...I tried changing the height of the headrest, and the lumbar doesn't appear to change at all.

I also looked in the manual, and could find no mention of this. Are you sure?
We just took a 2011 RDX for a 40 mile test drive and the seats are horrible. Driver's seat is not too bad (since the lumbar support is adjustable) but the passenger seat is horrible.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a lot more comfortable than my TSX was, so I have no complaints about the seats in my 2011.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think both the driver and passenger are great. Very comfortable for both. This conversation is totally subjective based on your body and preference so there won't be a "correct" answer for this.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by rb82
We just took a 2011 RDX for a 40 mile test drive and the seats are horrible. Driver's seat is not too bad (since the lumbar support is adjustable) but the passenger seat is horrible.
Maybe you should test drive some other vehicles. Our HVAC contractor wanted a TL but ended up with a Maxima because it "was a better fit".
Old 10-25-2010, 06:23 PM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I feel ya OP..

I've had chronic back pains from years of work, and chronic helps Thinking of getting some memory foam padding for the seat.

The seat is a little more firm than my liking, then again I bought a used high mileage RDX. The stiff ride makes it worse. Still, I enjoy every minute of the boosted paddle-shifting ride.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Intermediate

I don't know about you guy but I have no problem in mine....What you guy complaining this SUV is not for comfort this sport SUV.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:19 PM

What us guys are complaining about is the firm seat and poor back support, especially for lumbar area, as well as the seating position. My mid back doesn't get seated all the way. Then again, leather seats are usually more firm in Acuras compared to a buttery seat in a Benz.

I have a bad back but I'm not going to whine about that. The higher seating position compared to sedans does help a lot though with providing a better driving posture. One of the reasons why I chose an RDX over an RL was for the higher seating position.

phoward_15 is right, this varies by preference.

Some memory foam seat padding like this would help.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have herniated discs and find the seat uncomfortable. The ironic thing is my 1996 Corvette Sport seats feel great and the car rides a hell of a lot harder
(Z51suspension option) than the RDX.
In the RDX I raised the seat a bit higher than normal and reclined it just a little bit. The way I have the lumbar is almost at no lumbar. It is tolerable but memory foam sounds good
The seat could use some cushioning, from my girlfriend,sister,mother etc. They all complain the seat is too stiff!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to feel bad for everyone who thinks the seat is too stiff, hard, uncomfortable, whatever adjectives you want to use. But you test drove the car before you bought it (at least you should have) and if you didn't like the seats then, why would you buy it? And I don't believe for a bit when someone tells me they didn't notice the seats were uncomfortable on a test drive (because the test drive wasn't long enough). I have a buddy who has a bad back and he knows in a heart beat when test driving a car whether the seat is going to be good/bad for him.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by gsvette
I have herniated discs and find the seat uncomfortable. The ironic thing is my 1996 Corvette Sport seats feel great and the car rides a hell of a lot harder
(Z51suspension option) than the RDX.
In the RDX I raised the seat a bit higher than normal and reclined it just a little bit. The way I have the lumbar is almost at no lumbar. It is tolerable but memory foam sounds good
The seat could use some cushioning, from my girlfriend,sister,mother etc. They all complain the seat is too stiff!
Raising the rear and reclining helps a lot! Yeah, some leather seats in other cars are softer, but then that may or may not lead to faster wear and tear.

Originally Posted by phoward_15
I want to feel bad for everyone who thinks the seat is too stiff, hard, uncomfortable, whatever adjectives you want to use. But you test drove the car before you bought it (at least you should have) and if you didn't like the seats then, why would you buy it? And I don't believe for a bit when someone tells me they didn't notice the seats were uncomfortable on a test drive (because the test drive wasn't long enough). I have a buddy who has a bad back and he knows in a heart beat when test driving a car whether the seat is going to be good/bad for him.
I bought the RDX for all its pros. All cars have their cons. Let's be positive and provide solutions to overcome these issues instead of ranting. I'll be focusing more on how to improve the firm seats for better ergonomics. I'm sure those who have back problems can understand.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Instructor

InfamousJamous, I agree that we should be a little understanding. I got my herniated discs after I owned my RDX. At my test drive my back was in decent shape!
As we age sh*t happens
We are not looking for sympathy, just ideas or solutions.
If you don't have any helping thoughts then keep the snide comments to yourself!!
And even with the crappy seats and crappy brakes I still like my RDX alot (no bashing of the RDX from me)!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by phoward_15
^Agreed
Trade it in and choose another manufacture. They may use about the same design parameters when they build the seats, but they all do it differently. If you are uncomfortable, YOU have picked the wrong vehicle. Again, what you want, and what works for you may be altogether different. I would like to own a Z06, but I hated the seats when I test drove it, SOOO I didn't buy it (oh ya, and...um, my wife said no).
Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Mr. Marco the ZO6 has a comfortable seat (in fact it could use a little more bolstering). your right it must have been your wife ;-)
Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by gsvette
InfamousJamous, I agree that we should be a little understanding. I got my herniated discs after I owned my RDX. At my test drive my back was in decent shape!
As we age sh*t happens
We are not looking for sympathy, just ideas or solutions.
If you don't have any helping thoughts then keep the snide comments to yourself!!
And even with the crappy seats and crappy brakes I still like my RDX alot (no bashing of the RDX from me)!
I'm glad someone understands!

To be honest just about any seat makes me feel uncomfortable with my tense back. Changing positions always helps. Some leather seats don't let you "sink" into the seat and that's just what I'm looking for.

I've tried THIS back support but the one I have doesn't have any padding so it's kinda useless. It helps with a better seating position though.

HERE's a bunch of seat cushions. If anybody has had good results with any seat cushion product please share!