HID conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HID conversion question

Hey Guys, quick question, my wife has a 2001 nissan pathfinder and I want to do an HID conversion, I know with some cars you have to change the houseing, do you nkow if this would need to be done in this case?

Thanks,
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
HID conversions on Non HID housings arent usually a good thing to do.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Got The Midas Touch

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HID conversion usually isn't a good idea in a housing that isn't designed for it, they generate a lot more heat and the lights arent made to actually harness the HID's brightness. There are so many cars here where I live that think blue lights/HID lights make your headlights better but with the stock housing all its really doing is making hot spots right in front of them which blinds everyone. They really dont get much more width and length from the HIDs. Imo if you want to do HIDs go with a full projector retrofit and you would be alot happier with the results
Old 09-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
HID conversions on Non HID housings arent usually a good thing to do.

I did a DDM HID kit on my FJ and in the stock housings and I had a lot of scatter. Got flashed a couple times a week and just lost usable light since the housings were not designed for that. I finally just bit the bullet and got a projector retrofit. Not only does it look bad-ass, but the usable light is much better...
Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
There are 3 ways you can do an HID conversion to a halogen headlight:

1. Buy a rebased 9003 HID kit.

This is the cheapest and easiest method since you'll just take out the halogen bulb and swap the rebased HID bulb in, plus connecting the ballast. The downside to this is that the output will be disappointing because the headlight is not designed for HID. It'll create a lot of glare and hot spots. Also, you'll lose your high beam ability because 9003 is a Hi/Low bulb. The HID bulb is a single xenon unless you opt for those 9003 Hi/Low HID rebased kits, which I don't recommend at all.

A trustworthy store: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit

2. Morimoto Mini H1/D2S Bi-xenon projectors

This is more expensive because you'll need to buy the bulbs and ballasts along with the projectors unlike option 1. Plus, it will require that you open up your headlights but requires no fabrication; just twist and tighten. I've seen decent output from these mini projectors and if you're on a budget, this is for you.

Best place to get them: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3181

3. Real OEM HID projectors

This is the most expensive option and will require some fabrication. If you're good with dremel tools, you will need it. Again, you will need to open up your headlights. If you're a newb and have never done this before, I don't recommend it. Or buy a spare set of headlights to play with it; if you mess up, you won't go driving without headlights. The result will be the most rewarding; with some slight modifications such as clear lenses, spacing, higher wattage ballasts, etc....you'll have better output than most OEM HID equipped cars out there. If you plan to go this route, get some bixenon projectors. Again, you'll need to buy the projectors, bulbs and ballasts, plus a wiring harness!

I highly recommend this store: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=25

Or the 4th option is to buy those Sylvania silverstar bulbs or blue colored halogen bulbs on ebay for cheap.

Like every thing else, you can source all these parts through ebay as well. Good luck!