Toyota: Prius News

Old 09-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Toyota: Prius News

Toyota's new Prius orders 8 times greater than expected

Reuters / September 18, 2003

TOKYO (Reuters) -- Toyota Motor Corp. said on Thursday orders for its second-generation Prius hybrid sedan reached around 11,000 units in the first two weeks of sale, outpacing its target by about eight times.

The world's third-biggest auto maker aims to sell 3,000 of the cars a month, or 36,000 a year, in Japan where it went on sale on September 1.

"Orders have come from wide-ranging age groups, from under-30s and over-60s," Japan's top auto maker said in a statement. Sales overseas will start later this year.

The new Prius is more fuel-efficient and spacious than its predecessor and sells for roughly the same price, at 2.15 million yen ($18,520) in Japan. The car also offers an option that allows the car to park itself -- the world's first, according to Toyota.

Toyota has been marketing the car aggressively, with one eye-grabbing ad touting its fuel efficiency featured on the body of one of the capital's busiest train lines that loops around central Tokyo. The slogan reads: "The Yamanote line route is 34.5 km. The Prius gets 35.5 km a liter."

The previous Prius, launched in 1997, was the world's first mass-produced gasoline-electric hybrid vehicle, and has sold over 120,000 units worldwide. Toyota hopes to sell 300,000 of the environmentally friendly vehicles annually by mid-decade.

Honda Motor is the only other car maker to sell hybrid cars.

Old 09-19-2003, 08:12 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
gavrill, got a question for ya....

why doesnt a manufacturer make a hybrid car that looks like a normal car? why not introduce a hybrid engine in a camry, or a civic, or something like that? the two hybrid cars I can think of are the Prius, and that other weird one where the back wheel wells cover the tires...forget who makes it.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid car, but the only ones out are so friggen ugly I could never drive one. Do you think its to differentiate the hybrids so everyone knows its a hybrid?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Beetroot
gavrill, got a question for ya....

why doesnt a manufacturer make a hybrid car that looks like a normal car? why not introduce a hybrid engine in a camry, or a civic, or something like that? the two hybrid cars I can think of are the Prius, and that other weird one where the back wheel wells cover the tires...forget who makes it.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid car, but the only ones out are so friggen ugly I could never drive one. Do you think its to differentiate the hybrids so everyone knows its a hybrid?

Beetroot there is a Civic Hybrid car.

Specs are:

Base Number of Cylinders: 4
Base Engine Size: 1.3 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 4
Horsepower: 93 hp (85HP comes from the IC engine and 8HP from the electric motor when needed)
Max Horsepower: 5700 rpm
Torque: 105 ft-lbs. (87 lb-ft comes from IC engine and 18 lb-ft from the electric motor when needed)
Max Torque: 3000 rpm
Drive Type: FWD

The Price is around $20K.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Also the main reason why the existing offerings look...weired (excluding the Civic here) is because auto makers have aerodynamic concerns due to cost and technology issues. If electric motors were providing more power, then aerodynamics would not have been so much of an issue. BUt slowly these issues are solved, hence the Civic here and a lot more offerings coming from Toyota, Ford and others.

In about 6-9 months we will see the Lexus RX 400H, next the Highlander, then the Escape and others.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Yeehaw

hm. guess I'm out of the loop on hybrid then, my bad!

and while that 93 hp looks mighty tempting...I think I'll stick with my cls...

thanks gavrill.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they wont make full size hybrid cars because

A. no one wants one

B. larger cars are to big and heavy for the weak ass hybrid motors
Old 09-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Old 09-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Yeehaw

I like that they have all the diagnostics on the screen. I would imagine eventually everything will be available on the navi screen... how much gas you've got, battery, oil, etc.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Beetroot
hm. guess I'm out of the loop on hybrid then, my bad!

and while that 93 hp looks mighty tempting...I think I'll stick with my cls...

thanks gavrill.
Hehehe...

The case wont be the same with what's coming. We expect the RX400H to make V8 power with 4 cylinder gas consumption. We expect a 350HP Accord Type R in Europe and a 360HP Acura RL here in the USA. You will see some really fast Hybrids in the future.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jimcol711
they wont make full size hybrid cars because

A. no one wants one

B. larger cars are to big and heavy for the weak ass hybrid motors
I disagree. We will see hybrid full size trucks actually. People want them if you can have V8 power for 35+mpg.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The Prius looks very spacious inside. Nice job Toyota. Once again.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Plenty of space, insane mileage, decent price, and relatively attractive. It's hard not to like this hybrid. Honda upped the hybrid ante with the Civic Hybrid, Toyota just did them one better. I hope Honda doesn't let this slide.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gavriil
I disagree. We will see hybrid full size trucks actually. People want them if you can have V8 power for 35+mpg.

hahaha, in our lifetime??

i dunno, i wouldnt hold my breath

the technology is NOWHERE NEAR at the stage for a hybrid truck that can pull 10-15 thousand lbs and weighs 6,000 lbs. that wont happen for a long time. those hybrid motors are fuel efficient, yes, but they are WEAK WEAK WEAK WEAK WEAK. those hybrid cars weigh nothing, are slow as dogs, and have no power.

the days of an electric or hybrid truck is a loooong looong looong way down the road. hell, id LOVE better gas mileage, my truck gets about 11 in the city and maybe 15-18 on the highway (at least 3 mpg of which are thanks to my mods) but i am not very optomistic that there will be a truck that can do what mine does (in terms of raw power and towing ability and off roading and full functionallity) any time in the near future.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jimcol711
hahaha, in our lifetime??

i dunno, i wouldnt hold my breath

the technology is NOWHERE NEAR at the stage for a hybrid truck that can pull 10-15 thousand lbs and weighs 6,000 lbs. that wont happen for a long time. those hybrid motors are fuel efficient, yes, but they are WEAK WEAK WEAK WEAK WEAK. those hybrid cars weigh nothing, are slow as dogs, and have no power.

the days of an electric or hybrid truck is a loooong looong looong way down the road. hell, id LOVE better gas mileage, my truck gets about 11 in the city and maybe 15-18 on the highway (at least 3 mpg of which are thanks to my mods) but i am not very optomistic that there will be a truck that can do what mine does (in terms of raw power and towing ability and off roading and full functionallity) any time in the near future.
Though it won't be known for it's towing power, the RX330 is supposed to be hitting the Hybrid soon. And it won't be too long before we'll see more mainstream hybrid applications (sportscars, mid-sized and larger sedans, SUVs, etc). You might not see work trucks with hybrid tech soon but I think it will be sooner than you think. Once the public and car companies start seeing proven hybrid technology in more real world applications, the development of such technology will skyrocket.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
Jim, you're forgetting about how many more batteries a truck can carry, as opposed to a sub compact hybrid...

you think that the subway engines don't have enough power to get their substantial weight rolling??

:fag:
Old 09-21-2003, 04:34 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally posted by gavriil
True, but then again, we could have that already with low-sulfur diesel fuel
Old 09-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

sooner than you think, this isn't 35mpg+, but i'm sure that will be happening soon too with toyota switching every car to hybrid by 2012.

GM Parallel Hybrid Truck

Providing fuel efficiency improvements and other advantages, without compromises

OVERVIEW:

2004 production introduction
Vortec 5300 5.3-liter 285-hp engine
225-Nm 14 kW integrated flywheel starter/
generator
42-volt hybrid battery system

FEATURES:

Fuel economy benefit from idle engine shut-
off, regenerative braking, and high
efficiency driveline controls
Integrates into existing P/T and vehicle architectures
Patented concentric motor/torque converter
Quiet, vibration-free "idle"
Precision transient torque smoothing
Configured as vehicle option on 2WD and 4WD models
Twin 110-volt, 20-amp AC power outlets in cab and pickup bed provide wide range of conveniences
BENEFITS:

The GM Parallel Hybrid Truck is a no-compromises truck, providing V-8 power for hauling heavy loads, towing, and hill climbing
Hybrid powertrain improves fuel economy up to 12%
AC power outlets provide additional functionality to power tools, electronic appliances, camping gear, or other recreational equipment
Old 11-20-2003, 07:41 AM
Kabachitare!

Motor Trend names Toyota Prius best car for 2004

Motor Trend names Toyota Prius best car for 2004

By John Porretto / AP Auto Writer

Car review

Prius goes mainstream: 2004 model looks and performs better

DETROIT -- The world's first commercially mass-produced hybrid car has claimed the honor of 2004 Car of the Year from Motor Trend magazine.

The newest version of the Toyota Prius, introduced in 1997, beat out 26 new or significantly reengineered models from nameplates such as Acura, BMW, Cadillac and Volkswagen.

"The Prius is a capable, comfortable, fun-to-drive car that just happens to get spectacular fuel economy," said Motor Trend editor-in-chief Kevin Smith. "It also provides a promising look at a future where extreme fuel efficiency, ultra-low emissions and exceptional performance will happily coexist."

A hybrid car switches between a gasoline or diesel engine and an electric motor to deliver the best mileage. The car recharges itself during the drive.

For now, the only versions available in the United States are small cars made by Toyota and Honda Motor Co., but several major automakers have models in the works, including trucks and sport utility vehicles.

Motor Trend editors said the Prius is capable of providing 60 miles per gallon in city driving and cited it as the first such hybrid to move into the automotive mainstream. They said the car is spacious enough to be classified as a midsize sedan.

"The beauty of the Prius is that it's a real midsize sedan that lets customers have the best of both worlds," said Don Esmond, the Toyota Division's senior vice president and general manager.

The newly designed Prius hit U.S. showrooms in October. Toyota expects annual sales of the next-generation hybrid car to top 35,000. U.S. sales last year were 21,193.

The base price for the car is about $20,000.

Dan Gorrell, vice president of California-based research firm Strategic Vision, said many early buyers likely made the choice because of the car's novelty and advanced technology.

"The new one really has moved forward with improvements, particularly styling," Gorrell said. "I think it will probably delight a whole new group of people, maybe more than the first one."

Motor Trend chooses its top car based on value, standing in its class and significant developments for 2004. One condition is that the vehicle must be available to the public by Jan. 1.

Vehicles are driven thousands of miles in a variety of weather and road conditions to evaluate factors such as handling and power delivery.

Last year's winner was the Infiniti G35.

Last month, the publication named the Volkswagen Touareg, that automaker's first entry in the sport utility segment, as its SUV of the year. A top truck also will be named next month.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Banned

Not a bad choice at all. Good car.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Might make a good cheap second commuter car... My 4runner is getting too many miles!
Old 01-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Kabachitare!

Toyota to build 30% of its Prius hybrids in the U.S.

Toyota to build 30% of its Prius hybrids in the U.S.

By Charles E. Ramirez / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Co.p. plans to ship more than 30 percent of the production capacity - about 47,000 units -of its Prius gas-electric hybrid to the United States this year to avoid supply problems, company officials said Sunday at the North American International Auto Show.

"And if that's not enough, we're capable of bumping the volume even further," said Yoshio Ishizaka, executive vice president of the Japanese car maker.

Toyota's announcement came just hours after a panel of automotive journalists selected the Prius the 2004 North American Car of the Year.

Demand for the vehicle appears to be strong. In Japan, the company took 17,500 orders for the compact car in the first month of production. In the United States, car buyers placed orders for 16,000 vehicles before they bowed in dealerships in Mid-October, Ishizaka said.

In other Toyota-related news, the company took the wraps off of a second all-new hybrid vehicle from the car maker - the Toyota Highlander Hybrid sport utility vehicle - and showed off a concept for a full-size pickup.

The Highlander Hybrid SUV has a motor with double the power of the Prius and generates about 270 horsepower. Its V-6 engine also enables the vehicle to accelerate from zero-to-60 in less than eight seconds. Toyota officials estimate the SUV will get more than 600 miles on a single tank of gas.

Meanwhile, the company's FTX full-size pickup concept hints at Toyota's future plans for big trucks. The FTX is nearly 19-feet long, almost seven feet wide and six and one-half feet tall.

It features a gas-electric hybrid engine, suicide doors, and a metal tool box that can hide into the floor of the truck bed as well as an electric generator, air compressor and electrical outlets underneath the rear skid plate.

"Our next full-size pickup truck is being considered as a possible platform for an advanced hybrid power system," said Jim Press, executive vice president and chief operating officer for Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc. "The FTX concept was developed to make a bold statement about Toyota's future full-size pickup truck plans."

Old 01-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Kabachitare!

Interesting Pics of the FTX:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...utos-25959.htm
Old 01-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Journalists pick Ford F-150, Toyota Prius as 2004 Car and Truck of Year

2004 Detroit: Journalists pick Ford F-150, Toyota Prius as 2004 Car and Truck of Year

By GAIL KACHADOURIAN | Automotive News

The Ford F-150 and Toyota Prius received top honors as the 2004 truck and car of the year, as voted on by automotive journalists.

The winners were announced Sunday, Jan. 4, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The Prius beat out other finalists the Mazda RX-8 and Cadillac XLR to become North American Car of the Year. Out of a maximum possible 490 points, the Prius received 298 points compared to 167 points for the RX-8 and 113 points for the XLR.

For North American Truck of the Year, the F-150 collected 317 points out of 490 possible, followed by the Nissan Titan with 249 points and the Cadillac SRX with 198 points.

Ford F-150

Toyota Prius
It was the second time in the awards’ 11-year history that the F-150 earned the truck award. The F-150 was named North American Truck of the Year in 1996, the last time the vehicle was redesigned.

The car and truck awards, inaugurated in 1993, are voted by a panel of 49 automotive journalists. Automotive News Executive Editor Edward Lapham and Senior Writer Dale Jewett are on the judging committee. Dutch Mandel, editor and associate publisher of AutoWeek, a sister publication to Automotive News, also judged.

To be eligible, vehicles must be “substantially changed” from the previous model year.

Jurors rate vehicles based on factors that include innovation, design, safety, handling, driver satisfaction and value for the dollar. Each juror has a pool of 25 points to award to candidate vehicles, with a maximum of 10 points given to any one vehicle. Only one vehicle in each category (car and truck) may be given 10 points.

The 2003 winners were the Mini Cooper and the Volvo XC90.

Source: Autoweek
Old 01-04-2004, 10:04 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same as motor trend...
Old 07-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Toyota to Boost Production of Prius

Toyota to Boost Output of Prius

07/20/2004, 06:07 [The Wall Street Journal]

DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Corp. is expected to announce soon that it will significantly boost production of its Prius sedan to meet surging demand in the U.S. and elsewhere for the gasoline-electric hybrid.

Toyota executives familiar with the move said that supply of the Prius for the U.S. market, which currently is pegged at around 47,000 vehicles a year, might eventually double as a result of the anticipated expansion.

The executives said the Japanese auto maker most likely will expand Prius output by producing it at an additional location in Japan. Currently, all Prius cars come from the company's Tsutsumi plant in Toyota City. Tsutsumi produces the hybrid at a pace of between 120,000 and 130,000 a year.

It wasn't clear how big the expected capacity expansion will be.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Teh ?

well, it's about time... those thing sell like hot cakes... mmm, hot cakes.

Junkster, whose still not liking that Prius look
Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They'll probably just overclock it.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Just wait until a good looking hybrid like the Honda Ac....hmmm... nevermind
Old 07-21-2004, 08:00 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Provench I changed the title of the thread. The old one sounded like they were boosting HP.

And judging by Dan's deleted post I think he got that impression as well
Old 07-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 07-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Go Dutch !

I've seen more Prius's here than TSX/EuroAccords !
Even that dude in 'The Day After Tomorrow' had a Prius...
Old 07-21-2004, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is a good thing, can't beat 50 MPG
Old 07-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by domn
Provench I changed the title of the thread. The old one sounded like they were boosting HP.

And judging by Dan's deleted post I think he got that impression as well
Hey man ... I just quoted the article title
Old 07-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by provench
Just wait until a good looking hybrid like the Honda Ac....hmmm... nevermind
Not so sure about the good looking part...

Phile, who was hoping for an early refresh with the introduction of the hybrid Accord, noticeably in the rear and a formal grille.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by phile

Phile, who was hoping for an early refresh with the introduction of the hybrid Accord, noticeably in the rear and a formal grille.
In fact ... that was my joke
Old 07-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

Ooops...
Old 07-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Bound for Europe

I've heard that TRD is about to release a 40,000W bolt on battery supercharger that will easily put the Prius into performance car territory while, at the same time, giving the driver the potential to give "jumps" to up to 500 stranded motorists a day.

:P
Old 07-21-2004, 08:52 PM
bleh...

Originally Posted by phile

I'd like to see a TSX hybrid, that would be cool.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Soze75
I've heard that TRD is about to release a 40,000W bolt on battery supercharger that will easily put the Prius into performance car territory while, at the same time, giving the driver the potential to give "jumps" to up to 500 stranded motorists a day.

:P
I couldn't resist...

Old 10-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Toyota to boost Prius shipments to 100,000 in '05 - - By MONICA LINK | Automotive News - Source: Autoweek

Toyota will import 100,000 Prius hybrid cars to the United States in 2005, double the amount it expects to sell this year, the automaker said Thursday.

Through the first eight months of this year, Prius sales totaled 31,406 units, a Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. spokesman said. The 2005 allocation is equal to the total number of Prius cars sold in the United States since it was introduced to the market in June 2000.

The greater supply for the U.S. market is possible because Toyota Motor Corp. is boosting Prius production by 50 percent to 15,000 units per month in Japan. The extra production will come from an existing Toyota assembly plant in Japan, but the automaker has not disclosed which plant it will use.

In addition to a greater allocation of Prius sedans, Toyota will introduce hybrid powertrain versions of the Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX (Lexus 400H) sport wagons to the U.S. market early next year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota: Prius News