3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vandals - Rim Stolen Car f-ed up... Pics / Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
2007 TL-S CBP/ES 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaarrg!! That really sucks... We're all keeping our fingers crossed for you... Good Luck and keep your head up!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmbnova
Still have not heard from the GM of the dealership... I called and was told he was 'busy'
Thats something you should do in person once and if they dont cooperate then seek legal action
Old 08-06-2007, 12:07 PM
FOR SALE - BM

just go into the dealer and start to make a stink.. try to do it when there are a ton of people dropping their cars off for service. that will get their attention, and they won't be to "busy" for you.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drdamian
just go into the dealer and start to make a stink.. try to do it when there are a ton of people dropping their cars off for service. that will get their attention, and they won't be to "busy" for you.
"Busy" could mean the GM is working on what to do for his car, so it is not time for a stink yet. Don't fire your gun till you see a target to shoot at.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:15 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
Thats something you should do in person once and if they dont cooperate then seek legal action
Originally Posted by VT06TL
"Busy" could mean the GM is working on what to do for his car, so it is not time for a stink yet. Don't fire your gun till you see a target to shoot at.
I wanted to go by the dealership today to check on the car and talk to the GM (I don’t know if they even mangled the car so that the door could be closed over the weekend) but I have a business dinner this evening and have had meetings all day. Dealership is a good 40 minutes from my office so I am hosed until tomorrow…. Best I can do today is using the phone….

I’m actually pretty pissed off at this point….
Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For the love of God please don't go in as a raving asshole; and the people that keep suggesting that you do.. please shuttup.

Read your service work order first please; if it says they have no liability and accept no responsibility and you signed it you're fucked. They might work with you because they feel bad, but if the work order has a disclaimer.. you can't do anything. You can hire an attorney, and pay money, but now you're wasting your time, and paying for an attorney.

And again, i'm not saying one person is right or wrong, or whatever.. but I get irritated when the instant reply from people is "they should buy you a new car" or "they have to pay for everything I bet it was an inside job"

Seriously. I'm an asshole oh well.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Instructor

That really blows. Those thieves deserve to rot in prison. I hope you get everything settled out. It would be great if the dealership would cover costs, but I tend to agree with Timmahh, that there might be some sort of disclaimer. Either way, hopefully they will do everything they can to get your car back into one piece.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
I also suggest not hiring an attorney. What is the point when you will just be paying attorney's fees? You can't get the dealership to pay those fees even if you win a judgment later on.

You've been paying your insurance company this entire time with premiums. Might as well let their attorneys handle this. The car is pretty new so I'm assuming you have full coverage. You might have to pay a deductible, but if the insurance collects from the dealership, you will get it back.

But this is only if the dealership doesn't take steps to resolve it between you and them.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
yea listen to timmah.... i am a very pleasant person, but i lose my temper @ certain times. In this situation , if i went in there, i would be cool... only to turn ugly in a few minutes.

you DEFINITELY want to be pleasant at first. If you are smart , (you drive an acura, you must be!!) you can read the GM's tone/attitude. If it looks like they arent going to go anywhere, then maybe take it up a notch, even with people around the service dept. dropping off their cars. but definitely DONT put a child fit, as they'll probably just call the cops on you. I have learned from experience. I paid a jiffy lube like $130 to change my dff fluid in my explorer, i found out they didnt, went in there screaming like a lunatic, and had the cops called on me. twice. lol

worse case scenario, it goes through your insurance. you'll have to pay your deduc., but, your rates shouldnt go up from that. also, DEFINITELY INQUIRE ABOUT THE CAMERAS!!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by Timmahh
For the love of God please don't go in as a raving asshole; and the people that keep suggesting that you do.. please shuttup.

Read your service work order first please; if it says they have no liability and accept no responsibility and you signed it you're fucked. They might work with you because they feel bad, but if the work order has a disclaimer.. you can't do anything. You can hire an attorney, and pay money, but now you're wasting your time, and paying for an attorney.

And again, i'm not saying one person is right or wrong, or whatever.. but I get irritated when the instant reply from people is "they should buy you a new car" or "they have to pay for everything I bet it was an inside job"

Seriously. I'm an asshole oh well.
Where did anyone say act like an asshole? People are saying don't be satisfied with the "busy" response and show up in person..
Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Instructor

I wanted to go by the dealership today to check on the car and talk to the GM (I don’t know if they even mangled the car so that the door could be closed over the weekend) but I have a business dinner this evening and have had meetings all day. Dealership is a good 40 minutes from my office so I am hosed until tomorrow…. Best I can do today is using the phone….

I’m actually pretty pissed off at this point….
In the end it will work out. Like other mentioned; cooler heads will prevail even though it would be satisfying to rip some heads.

The good news is you have insurance (hopefully a low comprehensive deductible) that will pay for everything so even if the dealer waves their hands in the air you're still covered.

Although Acura may not be legally liable, I feel as a high end premium dealer they should step up and take care of their customers when the car is in their possession. If I were the GM I would say "Sorry sir, I will have this fixed up 100% like new, and in the mean time keep driving our loaner".

Keeping the small high end user base loyal is important. So many cars are priced similar with so many features. G35, TL, IS, C-Class, 3-Series, etc. It would be easy for you to go to another dealer and tell everyone you know how bad Acura is.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Regardless of whether or not the service contract said that they were not responsible for damages to vehicles, they really are. People read that statement and they think the same thing as everyone else, I have no course of action here. I signed this, the dealer is not responsible. Bullshit!! Who says that you can't sue?!?!? The car was in their care, custody, and control. You have every right to make them miserable. If the car was not safe, they should have kept it inside. If there was a gated area with barbed wire and your car wasn't inside of it, even more reason to do so. Trust me, I work for an insurance company. That crap you sign doesn't mean a thing. It's almost a scare tactic. The dealer should have a garage policy, so that should take care of your car. If they don't cover it under that, then it'll be covered under their General Liability policy. Whatever it is, make them make it nice and shiney again, and once they do that, trade that f'er in.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:12 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

doing that would be being an asshole in my book.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Instructor

this suxs, i think they should pay for everything aftermarket or not.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by madmoodawg
Regardless of whether or not the service contract said that they were not responsible for damages to vehicles, they really are. People read that statement and they think the same thing as everyone else, I have no course of action here. I signed this, the dealer is not responsible. Bullshit!! Who says that you can't sue?!?!? The car was in their care, custody, and control. You have every right to make them miserable. If the car was not safe, they should have kept it inside. If there was a gated area with barbed wire and your car wasn't inside of it, even more reason to do so. Trust me, I work for an insurance company. That crap you sign doesn't mean a thing. It's almost a scare tactic. The dealer should have a garage policy, so that should take care of your car. If they don't cover it under that, then it'll be covered under their General Liability policy. Whatever it is, make them make it nice and shiney again, and once they do that, trade that f'er in.
Wonderful.

Here's the problem with the general public. i'll give a real world example.

Hello, i'd like a large Mc Coffee please
Ok Sir, that's $2, please pull up to the window
Here's your change, and your coffee
Ok Thanks!
Hmm.. this is hot..
OH MY GOD I SPILLED IT ON MYSELF
Hello McDonalds, i'm sueing you because i'm a fucking douche and didn't think the HOT coffee was THAT HOT so I need money now.

Car dealership:

Hello, i'd like to have some work done on my car
<few minutes go by whilst talking about work to be done>
Okie dokie, sign here please
<noise of someone signing; not reading the back of the paper or the agreement at the bottom>
Ok sir we'll call you when your car is ready

.. the next day

Sir, someone broke into your vehicle last night and stole some items.

WHAT?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THAT'S BULLSHIT. I'M GOING TO SUE YOU ASSHOLES YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF THE AFTERMARKET THINGS I DID TO MY CAR AND ADDED. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN MY CAR IS MORE VALUEABLE THAN THE OTHER 50 ACURAS ON YOUR LOT AND KEPT MINE IN A GARAGE.

Do you see how stupid this is sounding? ... MMmmk.. IF.. and I mean IF.. IF IF IF.. you signed the work AND there is a disclaimer on it THEY ARE NOT LEGALLY LIABLE FOR LOSSES THAT ARE NOT CAUSED BY THE DEALERSHIP OR THE EMPLOYEES. If you sue them what you're saying is:

Yes, I speak english, I signed that, but I am ignorant and I feel that you should pay for my car because some asshole broke into it and stole my wheels.

I know you haven't said any of the above; i'm just using what other people have said as an example.

This is why there's 40 million friggin disclaimers on shit, because people are retarded.

JMBNova - sorry for using your thread as an example; I get irritated with stuff sometimes, I hope all goes well for you, but please maintain a level head when dealing with this.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned

This is what I am afraid of puting on a nice rims and getting attention from theift.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Wonderful.

Ok Thanks!
Hmm.. this is hot..
Hello McDonalds, i'm sueing you because i'm a fucking douche and didn't think the HOT coffee was THAT HOT so I need money now.

Car dealership:

<noise of someone signing; not reading the back of the paper or the agreement at the bottom>

.. the next day

WHAT?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THAT'S BULLSHIT. I'M GOING TO SUE YOU ASSHOLES YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF THE AFTERMARKET THINGS I DID TO MY CAR AND ADDED. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN MY CAR IS MORE VALUEABLE THAN THE OTHER 50 ACURAS ON YOUR LOT AND KEPT MINE IN A GARAGE.

Do you see how stupid this is sounding? ... MMmmk.. IF.. and I mean IF.. IF IF IF.. you signed the work AND there is a disclaimer on it THEY ARE NOT LEGALLY LIABLE FOR LOSSES THAT ARE NOT CAUSED BY THE DEALERSHIP OR THE EMPLOYEES. If you sue them what you're saying is:

Yes, I speak english, I signed that, but I am ignorant and I feel that you should pay for my car because some asshole broke into it and stole my wheels.

I know you haven't said any of the above; i'm just using what other people have said as an example.

This is why there's 40 million friggin disclaimers on shit, because people are retarded.

JMBNova - sorry for using your thread as an example; I get irritated with stuff sometimes, I hope all goes well for you, but please maintain a level head when dealing with this.
I agree, however, disclaimers don't encompass negligence. If the dealer didn't take reasonable measures to protect the car then they are at fault. If they did lock the car and keep the keys inside and lock the entrances to the lot then they are covered. Another form of negligence would be allowing technicians to carry keys to the lot because the service manager can't make it early some times.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:58 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
wait timmahh you forgot one thing, that dumb bitch won the mcdonald's law suit... uh oh lol
Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stillhere153
wait timmahh you forgot one thing, that dumb bitch won the mcdonald's law suit... uh oh lol
Yeah, what is this world coming to?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Instructor

I agree with 99% of what Timmahh says, and I'd agree that it's 99.9% likely that the dealership has no liability. Anything you get out of this from the dealership is going to be largely based on their desire for customer good will. I'd go in there nice as pie and get the ball rolling.

One possible angle you may be able to pursue is the one of negligence. For example, let's say they have a chain link fence all around the lot, and a lockable gate, but the gate was not locked. You have a reasonable expectation that they will use the security available to them. Or maybe they have video surveillance (doubtful) but it was not working at the time of this incident. Or, maybe you can demonstrate that the car was not locked (prob. impossible, unless the on-board computer logs such things?) - they have a reasonable obligation to secure your car. Proving anything would likely require the services of CSI, which ain't gonna happen.

So what about the fact the rim keys where in the glove box? Did they ask you to leave them there? Did you choose to leave them there and tell the dealer? Did you choose to leave them there but did NOT tell the dealer? If it was an inside job, the thief could have gotten the car keys from inside the shop, knowing that the rim keys were available (or are rim keys as useful as luggage locks .... sneeze on them and they fall off?).

Regarding disclaimers ... they can have you sign all the disclaimers they want, but the items they are disclaiming have to be 'somewhat reasonable'. This gets very complex and I'm no lawyer, but - the issuer of the contract (the writer of the disclaimer) has to be sure their disclaimer is legal. Presumably, the disclaimers in play here are very standard and have been reviewed by some lawyer at some point in time, so you are probably screwed on that front.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:07 PM
B A N N E D

Wonderful.

Ok Thanks!
Hmm.. this is hot..

Car dealership:

.. the next day

Your ignorant for trying to persuade him that nothing will go his way. go rant somewhere else.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:07 PM
How may I help you.....?

I agree with you on this concept... for the most part, people are idiots... However, I did not sign ANY paper except for the loaner agreement. No service records were presented or signed. The car was there for a new tranny only and yes, they were putting in a brand spanking new tranny under warranty.

Best part of the story is that I got into a wreck in there loaner car two days before my shit got fucked up. My insurance company had them on the phone coordinating the fix WITHIN AN HOUR... Now it has been three days since my shit got ass raped and I have heard NOTHING...

Im calm, im cool... I know how to be civil but still not get screwed over.

Thanks for all the comments guys... I'll keep this thread updated...
Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153

But I have to agree with Timmahh and say keep your cool until they act like they aren't going to do anything.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very fucked up, very!!! I might be even angrier than you are about this...
Very sorry man! When I saw you ride the last time we met, I fell in love with it, the color, mods, etc...

The mf dealer will have to take care of everything to your satisfaction, nothing less! It's obviously someone working there or who knows the people at the dealership! Maybe someone on the inside gave the thieves a hint about your car! The dealer conveniently forgot to lock the door or shit like that...

But keep your cool man, you need to be sober and think rationally now, don't overdo your attitude with the dealer just yet or it might turn out nasty! Try to go all avenues though.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Best part of the story is that I got into a wreck in there loaner car two days before my shit got fucked up. My insurance company had them on the phone coordinating the fix WITHIN AN HOUR...

So maybe the rims are 'payback' for the wreck you had in the loaner. By the way... what did you do to the loaner?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:15 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by ACTROS
Very fucked up, very!!! I might be even angrier than you are about this...
Very sorry man! When I saw you ride the last time we met, I fell in love with it, the color, mods, etc...

The mf dealer will have to take care of everything to your satisfaction, nothing less! It's obviously someone working there or who knows the people at the dealership! Maybe someone on the inside gave the thieves a hint about your car! The dealer conveniently forgot to lock the door or shit like that...

But keep your cool man, you need to be sober and think rationally now, don't overdo your attitude with the dealer just yet or it might turn out nasty! Try to go all avenues though.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks man!! although, you have one sick ride yourself....
Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Instructor

If the dealership don't recoupe your lost, all AZ TL forum members will all be driving down to Virgina and lining up next to the dealership with banners and giant rat ballon around their lot! making sure the public will notice!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by asaldworth
So maybe the rims are 'payback' for the wreck you had in the loaner. By the way... what did you do to the loaner?
Fender Bender where the guy in front of me got cut off merging onto a major road... of course since we were merging, i was looking at my blind spot so by the time i turned around, just wasnt enough room to stop... just clipped his bumper (he was driving an Enterprise rental)

If that was payback them fuck them up the ass... Enterprise isnt even going to file a claim since the damage was nothing more than paint transfer....
Old 08-06-2007, 02:18 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by pekkieboyz
If the dealership don't recoupe your lost, all AZ TL forum members will all be driving down to Virgina and lining up next to the dealership with banners and giant rat ballon around their lot! making sure the public will notice!

Awesome... I would love to see something like that...
Old 08-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
wow...29 members and 18 guests!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:21 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by ggesq
2414 views in less than 24 hours....

They like me.. they really like me...
Old 08-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggesq
Now 29 members and 24 guests.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I agree with 99% of what Timmahh says, and I'd agree that it's 99.9% likely that the dealership has no liability. Anything you get out of this from the dealership is going to be largely based on their desire for customer good will. I'd go in there nice as pie and get the ball rolling.

One possible angle you may be able to pursue is the one of negligence. For example, let's say they have a chain link fence all around the lot, and a lockable gate, but the gate was not locked. You have a reasonable expectation that they will use the security available to them. Or maybe they have video surveillance (doubtful) but it was not working at the time of this incident. Or, maybe you can demonstrate that the car was not locked (prob. impossible, unless the on-board computer logs such things?) - they have a reasonable obligation to secure your car. Proving anything would likely require the services of CSI, which ain't gonna happen.

So what about the fact the rim keys where in the glove box? Did they ask you to leave them there? Did you choose to leave them there and tell the dealer? Did you choose to leave them there but did NOT tell the dealer? If it was an inside job, the thief could have gotten the car keys from inside the shop, knowing that the rim keys were available (or are rim keys as useful as luggage locks .... sneeze on them and they fall off?).

Regarding disclaimers ... they can have you sign all the disclaimers they want, but the items they are disclaiming have to be 'somewhat reasonable'. This gets very complex and I'm no lawyer, but - the issuer of the contract (the writer of the disclaimer) has to be sure their disclaimer is legal. Presumably, the disclaimers in play here are very standard and have been reviewed by some lawyer at some point in time, so you are probably screwed on that front.
I agree with you and Timmahh in regards to people just being a little too lawsuit happy these days. I have a cousin who's like that, and I just don't like him... What I was saying, is that the dealership should offer full restitution since their insurance policy covers this sort of thing, and that's why they pay for it. If they refuse to do so, he has every right in the world to sue, regardless of the disclaimers. A good enough lawyer($$$$) can blow right thru that. I've seen it happen, and I've seen them win. Now what will probably happen, the dealer might refuse to compensate the original poster for the damages(they can probably do this themselves, or they may have a deal with a neighboring body shop), and the OP will be forced to go thru his own insurance. His ins co will then subrogate and go after the dealer's ins co for reimbursement. If they deny the claim, then the OP's ins co could sue, but I doubt that this would happen since the court costs would probably be in excess of the actual amount of damages. Some companies may even raise his rate... This is from what I've seen, and may not be the case in every state. I'm sure that we have a few attorney's on this forum that can add in their . If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:31 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Still have not heard from the GM of the dealership... I called and was told he was 'busy'
Sounds like you need to go down to the dealer and jack the rims off the GM's car and tell him you're busy. j/k.... think about it this way, having your car sit at their lot in that state can't be good for business. Don't let em move the car until they resolve the issue.

But yeah, good to hear you're chill about this. Props to you, man cuz I think most of us are blowing up over this. If anything, go tear up their loaner. Find some punk kids and race them.... of course within the limits of your loan contract.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:36 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by t0ast
Sounds like you need to go down to the dealer and jack the rims off the GM's car and not let him go home until he talks to you. j/k.... think about it this way, having your car sit at their lot in that state can't be good for business. Don't let em move the car until they resolve the issue.

But yeah, good to hear you're chill about this. Props to you, man cuz I think most of us are blowing up over this. If anything, go tear up their loaner. Find some punk kids and race them.
well, I was already in a paint scraping fender bender in thier loaner... they gave me a shitty Auto TSX (no offense to TSX owners... but this SPECIFIC car is a piece of shit) so I won't be racing anyone.... (already tried) lol

Yeah, Im pretty chill... I mean, long run.. it's just a car and I did just spend two weeks in the hospital literally about to die with Meningitis... Been a rough month for me...

But it was my baby... I love my car...
Old 08-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, hate to see that. And that's my color too. I feel your pain... Hopefully you can get her back to normal to represent that DGP again!! Your ride is like my inspiration...
Old 08-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm almost certain the OP will be compensated for his loss, one way or the other. Instead of everyone getting worked up about who was at fault or inside job this sue this or that, lets just offer our condolences.

The world has a way of working out.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:12 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wilby07
Your ride is like my inspiration...
Awwwww

Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 PM
lilvinnyb

Jim,

Sorry to hear about the car. I'd be soo pissed. I think that the staff at karen radley either tipped someone off or did the job themselves.

This will definitely make me think twice about bringing my car there...even for a routine service when they can get your address.

I cant believe they would not cover the total loss. At a minimum, if they dont, this could be extremely bad press.....hint hint.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Alex911
Your ignorant for trying to persuade him that nothing will go his way. go rant somewhere else.
HEHE.

1) I think you mean "You're" because you're (<-- nice example) referring to me.

2) I am NOT ignorant. I am NOT trying to convince him nothing will go his way, i'm trying to convince him to keep a cool, calm state of mind when talking to the dealer about this because they can make it very difficult, and flat out refuse any compensation. I AM trying to convince others, and apparently now yourself, that running in screaming like a damn fool generally will not yield any positive results.

There are alot of overly dramatic luxury car owners; example - going into a MB dealership and there's a frantic woman running around "WHERE'S JACK? I NEED JACK HAS ANYONE SEEN HIM?".. like a damned soap opera (funny though). I'm hoping most Acura drivers are rational and not looking for more drama or wasting their time at a dealership having a pissing contest with someone.

JMB - Have you heard back from anyone at all? It's odd they didn't have you sign a service work order - normally you sign where the estimate for repair is, and you have to sign before they do any work on your car.

Quick Reply: Vandals - Rim Stolen Car f-ed up... Pics / Help