3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vandals - Rim Stolen Car f-ed up... Pics / Help

Old 08-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by jmbnova
I will talk to this yahoo GM, my insurance company, the cops, and Acura CAre tomorrow...

I was mostly concerned about finding out what people have heard from dealerships when a car is damaged while they are in possesion. Sounds like I just need to be a dick tomorrow and make the fuckers fix it completely..

hmm.. wonder if I could get them to order the RonJon body kit as a replacement since they have to do the aero skirts anyway... lol
about the vandalism and theft.

My as a litigator in California:
The dealership had possession of your car and is insured.
1) Talk to the dealership GM and see if there is anything the dealership will NOT cover BEFORE bitching to anyone else (your insurer, Acura, etc.). Hint: the dealership would likely prefer pos rep to Acura, on AZ and to its many local potential customers than neg rep over a repair amount likely equal to the profit for one car, esp. if it looks like an inside job.

2) If dealer agrees to cover everything and lets you have a rental/loaner, ask about the RonJon kit-- it might save everyone money compared to Acura OEM. Same with replacement wheels, if you want to switch types. Then let us know!

3) If dealer doesn't want to cover everything, let your insurance company take over. Then let AZ know, along with the BBB and the local car dealer association. Your insurance company will take care of your car and decide if it needs to send a lawyer after the dealer. You'll get a check for any deductible if dealer's insurer caves to your insurer or its lawyer.

4) Don't bother w/ retaining a lawyer on your own unless the attorney is free.

G/L!
The following users liked this post:
2Morrow (01-02-2013)
Old 08-05-2007, 10:08 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about this, i would be pissed! All i would have to say is that most dealers wont pay for this because when you sign the RO or work order im pretty sure in the fine print it says that they are not liable for any theft when being stored on the lot, atleast thats how my honda dealership works. Just put up a good fight and dont take no for an answer, good luck!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
This is . Really sorry this happened to your car.

IMO, the dealership insurance should take care of all this. Even the after market wheels.

DO call your insurance company to 1. Inform them of the incident and 2. To get their advice/opinion on who is liable for the repair/replacement costs.

You *may* want to file a claim and let them fight it out with the dealership. Again get advice from your insurance agent.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:20 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by AnothaTL
The dealership is NOT responsible for theft or any damage caused to your car unless an employee damaged your car. I am sorry this happened to you. However, you will probably have to call your insurance company. My car got broken into last month at the grocery store. Are the responsible? Unfortunately not.

Did you take your car to the grocery store for service?
Old 08-05-2007, 10:43 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any finger prints on that water bottle? :-)
Old 08-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Man that really sucks. Get a lawyer
Old 08-05-2007, 11:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by AnothaTL
.... My car got broken into last month at the grocery store. Are the responsible? Unfortunately not.

Not the same thing. The Grocer was not in posession of your car. There was no resonable expectation that the Grocer would take care of the car in your absence.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:28 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Did you take your car to the grocery store for service?
^^

thats pretty messed up. especially @ an acura dealer. thats why i never choose to leave my car anywhere. it may or may not be the dealers fault, but one thing is for sure, they should have ample surveillance on their lot.

ya know what. your insurance or theirs, you'll be getting a check for some new wheels and its the chance to change.. however.. those RJ's looked damn good on your car. if i recall, they werent chrome, and it just seemed to flow really nice...

best of luck to you. always a crying shame to see a 3G TL in bad shape...
Old 08-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Not the same thing. The Grocer was not in posession of your car. There was no resonable expectation that the Grocer would take care of the car in your absence.
EXACTLY,,,, you don't give your keys to the grocer
Old 08-05-2007, 11:50 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
holy shit jeff!! wtf. damn man, I cant believe that happened to you, that is such a gut wrenching shame.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:57 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
about the vandalism and theft.

My as a litigator in California:
The dealership had possession of your car and is insured.
1) Talk to the dealership GM and see if there is anything the dealership will NOT cover BEFORE bitching to anyone else (your insurer, Acura, etc.). Hint: the dealership would likely prefer pos rep to Acura, on AZ and to its many local potential customers than neg rep over a repair amount likely equal to the profit for one car, esp. if it looks like an inside job.

2) If dealer agrees to cover everything and lets you have a rental/loaner, ask about the RonJon kit-- it might save everyone money compared to Acura OEM. Same with replacement wheels, if you want to switch types. Then let us know!

3) If dealer doesn't want to cover everything, let your insurance company take over. Then let AZ know, along with the BBB and the local car dealer association. Your insurance company will take care of your car and decide if it needs to send a lawyer after the dealer. You'll get a check for any deductible if dealer's insurer caves to your insurer or its lawyer.

4) Don't bother w/ retaining a lawyer on your own unless the attorney is free.

G/L!

Best advice....
I just got a BA in Legal Studies... but I will tell you this much this guy here knows his stuff
Old 08-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm really sorry about the situation your in. Totally sucks. Has the dealer said anything at all about what's going to be done now? You may be gearing yourself up for a fight only to find out that it wont be necessary if they've already decided to fix everything.
Go easy when referring to the dealership while speaking about them here. I know your upset and pissed off and even if it is a inside job it probably doesn't involve the "yahoo" GM. They may be a fan of this sight or even a member. They will be less than willing to help if they see anything negative about them. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:15 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
WTF???? How can people do this?? I hope they rot in hell for that!!! It is very painful to look at those pics! For sure the dealer is insured for this. What would happen if this happened to one of their new cars on the lot? They have to be just as responsible with your property. They can say they are not responsible for personal items IN your car, fine. But hell, they ARE responsible for the rest of your car!! What if you crashed their loaner? They wouldn't like that right? It's BS if they have a fence with barbed wire like that and someone jacked your car man! Inside job could be a possibilty! Something looks fishy here.

You MAKE SURE you get EVERYTHING in that car fixed as new. Don't trust these clowns for a second! The dealer can try to screw you! They WILL cut corners and just try to pawn some rims and new sills for you as a quick and cheap fix, but make sure you take it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion. Tell the other dealer your car got jacked but don't say where/how. Check the chassis, suspension etc. everything head to toe, even removing door panels to check for entry damage or the electrical system because of the batteries. Only problem is the dealer will argue about paying for that. On top of that I would ask for some kind of compensation, like extending your warranty or free maintence for a few years. There is no need for any compromise on your end.

If there is an ounce of playin around take those clowns to court armed with some pics/evidence and a well prepared/planned case and nail em. Get a lawyer if you have to. I wish you luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Read the bottom of the work order when you drop your car off. There's usually a disclaimer about liablility for the car.

It's not like the dealership left it out in the open; your car appears to be behind a tall barb wired fence.

I don't know why everyone thinks the dealership is responsible for this; my friend has had customer cars stolen off the lot and the dealership DOES NOT pay for it.

The dealership would be financially responsible if:
- An employee was driving the car
- An employee is working on the car and has damaged it
- An employee hits your vehicle with another car
- Work done to your car has not been performed correctly and leads to a malfunction or accident

They are NOT financially responsible if/for:
- Someone steals your car
- Someone rips your car off at night
- Damaged caused by weather
- Damaged caused by acts of God

If it was an inside job, then yes you can raise hell. But they are well within their right to say go pound sand if it was just some jackass off the street.

I do feel your pain, i'm sorry i'm not trying to make you mad or anything, but I know how how dealerships typically run and handle things when something like this happens. Anyone who is saying the dealership is fault please read the the front and back of your last service order; i'm curious to see what disclaimers are on it.

Best of luck to you friend
Old 08-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
OMG.. could it be an inside job. if you know what i mean.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by THTL
OMG.. could it be an inside job. if you know what i mean.
o_O

respect my authoritaaah
Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry man, hope things get straighten out. Pretty sure it was an inside job. I love you car, one of the very few moded green TL's...
Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Advanced

I'm pretty new to this form and when looking at the new posts this one popped right out at me. Having an '05 A-spec I couldn't imagine my reaction should that happen to mine.

I'm glad the cops got some prints but those will only be good if they already have the guy in the system and getting that particular Acura dealership to cough up elimination prints of its employees will be tough and strickly voluntary.

I'm an RCMP officer in Canada and am currently working on a numerous auto thefts at this time.

The cops should check local scrap metal yards and swap meets. The price of metal is at historical highs and they can get an easy 100 bucks a rim. Hopefuly the cops will run the employees on their system and see who has been involved in drug activity and thefts as that may give them a good starting point. 4 rims will score a fella a good bit of crack.

Video survaillance should also be obtained.

Is there security hired to patrol the lots during off hours?

They should also ask that all officers in your area stop any car with RJ's installed and get that drivers info. They should be easily identifiable as they are a unique rim. An innocent owner will be more than happy to let that officer know how they got those rims.

I recommend that any ACURA owner get their car etched. A company by the name of Scorpion attended our last auto theft seminar and demonstrated their product. They etch a specific vehicle assigned number on all glass, rims, bumpers, engine, tranny and 52 other secret spots on your vehicle. A decal on your windows indicates the car has been protected by Scorpion. This helps deter theives as the parts they steal can now be traced back to a specific car and occurance. This tech has helped us bust some chop shops.
My Acura dealer has all their cars etched as soon as they come off the boat.

I can't help you with who should be paying what as thats a civil issue but hopefuly your local boys in blue do you some justice. Get the investigating officers name and make sure he keeps you updated.

Shit rats..as we like to call theives....like to brag so hopefuly he fucks up and brags to the wrong person and he gets ratted out.

Best of luck to you and I realy hope you get some positive results from this.

The Mountie from the Great White North (sorry for the long post guys)
Old 08-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Advanced

One extra thing about etching and VINs. Alot of theives will grind these numbers off. These numbers can be brought back with an acid treatment.
Sorry just an FYI as Acuras are still very popular targets and I wanna help us keep our baby's safe.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 AM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Does that dealership have cameras? I know most the dealerships around me have cameras all over the place..
Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 AM
2Poor 2Furious

first sorry to hear about this man. when you go to the dealer, try to bring an insurance rep and maybe a lawyer friend if you have one. I suspect they're gonna try to bully you around unless you show some threat.

Here's another trick to try. If they're giving you a hard time, and they're not gonna pay for part or all of it, gather the local Acurazine peeps for a meet, and you all drive down to the dealer. Go talk to the GM and say "this is all the business you're losing." Power to the people, right?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:28 AM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn Jeff, sorry to hear the bad news. A temporary setback I'm sure. You'll be back on track in no time at all. Best of luck on the repairs
Old 08-06-2007, 03:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear that this happened to you Jeff. It took me by surprise that something like this could happen.

I just want to add my condolences man and wish the best luck to you on getting the car repaired.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:37 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
holy shit, sorry to hear that man. that blows.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:50 AM
Racer

I just thought of an argument you can use if the dealer gives you any problem about fixing your car.

If they gave you a loaner and the wheels were stolen while it was parked in front of your house, would they expect you to pay for the damage? I expect they would say yes and this just supports your case.

Good Luck.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by camporealer
I just thought of an argument you can use if the dealer gives you any problem about fixing your car.

If they gave you a loaner and the wheels were stolen while it was parked in front of your house, would they expect you to pay for the damage? I expect they would say yes and this just supports your case.

Good Luck.
Hahaha better yet say in your drive way

What loaner did they give you, they better not ask for it back
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Racer

That just goes to show you how today’s society doesn’t have any respect or consideration for anyone else but themselves…… those bastards that did that to your beautiful car should be hung by their balls and be stoned by every member of Acurazine….f@ckers…..
I hope everything works out in your favor bro…… keep us posted on the progress…..Best of luck
Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Instructor

My advice before you talk to ANYONE is hire a lawyer and get consultation first!! You need to know EXACTLY what your rights are and what is due you in this situation good, bad or otherwise!!! Opinions are one thing but you need to get some solid information!! If you start off dealing with all the parties involved armed with knowing exactly where you stand in this then, they can't pull anything over on you! You do not need to hire the Lawyer just get a consultation.

Judging by your pictures there is a good chance you have frame damage. plus alot of other various damage. You want the car back right one way or the other and you don't want to be constantly running into problems in the future that are related to this. Do this the smart way so that you minimize your time spent and aggravation!!

Good luck in this. You do not deserve this and I know how pissed I would be in your situation but consult a lawyer. They will work for you to get what is coming to you if you need them to if come to that.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by Timmahh
but they are not liable for what some punk shithead kid does because his parents didn't beat him when he was a child.
LMAO that is too true man....

Im sorry to hear that man, that sucks!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Banned

That's heart breaking!! My condolennce to you! I did't read every message but did you have wheel luck on?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by teng
That's heart breaking!! My condolennce to you! I did't read every message but did you have wheel luck on?
Did you read the FIRST message?

Originally Posted by jmbnova
... sitting in the dealership parking lot. Someone came by, jimmied open the passenger door, pulled my tire key, ripped off my rims, .....
Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Did you read the FIRST message?

Tire key was in the glove box...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Instructor

To be more shocking I’m surprise the lot didn't have CCTV or camera all over the lot!
Next time if i were to leave my car in the lot, I would ask them if they were placing my car in the lot or a enclosed garage. Cause there no way in hellz I’m leaving my car for people to scratch in a open lot!

As far as I’m concern if you physically gave your car key's to the dealership they took over the responsibility and all liability once they accepted your car into the dealership lot. So you shouldn't worry!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Instructor

I'm pretty sure you work in a Corporate work environment, if so, i would ask a the company general counsel for advice!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This sucks big time, I hope Acura helps you out and does the responsible thing. Customer is always right, and what happened on THEIR private property is wrong.

Good luck man!

If they dont help you Im all for calling them and telling what crap service there providing to a fellow Acura owner. And or writing a letter.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
That sucks. Reminds me of the time I went out to the parking lot at school and saw a Civic that had its rims stolen...they left the car sitting on the spare, which was under the center of the car.

Even though the dealership will claim no responsibility, they should make you whole...replace the rims and repair all damage. Contacting a lawyer is a good idea.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Instructor

were the rim keys in the glove box at the request of the dealership? Did you decide to leave them there and tell the dealership? If it's the standard practice of the dealership to ask customers to leave rim keys inside the car, that further points to an inside job.

I know my (independent) mechanic offers, for my convenience and at my risk, a 'lockout' deal so I can pick up my car after hours; I pay the bill by credit card over the phone, they lock the keys inside my car; I show up late with a spare key and take the car. It always occurred to me that this would be easy pickings for a thief, but I have no choice given the late hours I work.

Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Racer

Ok so what happened? What did the dealer do for you?

Well I have seen maybe 1 set pf RJ Inspyres in this area so I will keep my eye out for any if I see them. I will write down the plate number and You can relay that info to the officer working your case if I am lucky enough to see a set on any TL's in the area. Good Luck! Sorry for your loss!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:47 AM
How may I help you.....?

Still have not heard from the GM of the dealership... I called and was told he was 'busy'
Old 08-06-2007, 11:47 AM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by conan777
Ok so what happened? What did the dealer do for you?

Well I have seen maybe 1 set pf RJ Inspyres in this area so I will keep my eye out for any if I see them. I will write down the plate number and You can relay that info to the officer working your case if I am lucky enough to see a set on any TL's in the area. Good Luck! Sorry for your loss!
Still have not heard from the GM of the dealership... I called and was told he was 'busy'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vandals - Rim Stolen Car f-ed up... Pics / Help