Questions before purchasing CT Supercharger (08 TSX)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions before purchasing CT Supercharger (08 TSX)

Hi all I am looking into buying a comptech supercharger within the next couple of weeks however I do have a few questions before so please bare with me as I don't know much about modding.

My 6MT TSX (2008) currently has an injen cold air intake and is flashed with Hondata. As of right now those are my current mods however I plan on supercharging next.

1. Do I need to mod anything before/after I supercharge (headers, exhaust, etc)
2. Do I have to have VTEC at 3k rpm as mentioned by the site or can I put it around 4k like I have it right now?
3. Is the supercharged reliable in the winter here in Canada? Should I park it and buy a beater?
4. Is this a good site to buy off of: http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts...arger-kit.html And is there any local places in Ontario that carry these supercharger a instead of having to order online?
5. Is it hard, time consuming and stress on the car to increase boost afterwards? Isn't it just a pully?
6. How much does it cost to tune/reflash after?

Also anything I should know before or after doing this?
Is this even a good investment? I love my tsx but have always wanted a little more power
Old 06-30-2014, 10:49 AM
10th Gear

Bump
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 PM
10th Gear

Bump
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by laziokid
Hi all I am looking into buying a comptech supercharger within the next couple of weeks however I do have a few questions before so please bare with me as I don't know much about modding.

My 6MT TSX (2008) currently has an injen cold air intake and is flashed with Hondata. As of right now those are my current mods however I plan on supercharging next.

2. Do I have to have VTEC at 3k rpm as mentioned by the site or can I put it around 4k like I have it right now?
3. Is the supercharged reliable in the winter here in Canada? Should I park it and buy a beater?
4. Is this a good site to buy off of: http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts...arger-kit.html And is there any local places in Ontario that carry these supercharger a instead of having to order online?
5. Is it hard, time consuming and stress on the car to increase boost afterwards? Isn't it just a pully?

Is this even a good investment? I love my tsx but have always wanted a little more power
I would do header/exhaust before you tune it.
VTEC needs to be where the dyno graph says it should. You want a smooth transition. Also not VTEC will not always be on at 3K - only when u give it considerable amount of throttle.
It should be very reliable as long as you get a good tune on it.
Most likely you will have to order online - see if you can get a used kit too - could save you lots of $$$
Yes a pulley will determine the amount of boost.
Well you have an 08 so i believe you can use the stock ecu for flashpro. I would figure the cost of flashpro and another 400 or so to have a good tuner tune it.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by laziokid

Oh man, sorry if I'm a bit late on this, but better late than never.

1. No you do not. But it would save you tuning cost to have your header/exhaust tuned with the supercharger. It won't make too much of a difference but if you tune with just the supercharger and add the header/exhaust later on, you'll be loosing a bit of power because your tune didn't account for the extra airflow of the header/exhaust

2. You shouldn't worry about where VTEC should engage, it is up to the tuner to set it where it's safe and reliable. But I believe majority wise, the tuner should know to set it to 3k RPM as it is the most optimal range.

3. If you are running stock pulley (5psi of boost), then running it in the winter will be safe as you wouldn't be running too lean from the colder air. But if you're at 8 or 10psi of boost, you'll probably have to get it tuned to the colder weather. A member running 10psi was running really lean during the winter and had to add more fuel to his tune.

4. I would suggest you buy it from the forum vendors on here if you're going to go new: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/ct-engine...roductid=66231

If you want to buy used, be prepared to have headaches with regards with missing bolts, nuts, and screws. Very rarely will the seller include every hardware there was that came with the supercharger originally. Had a buddy that kept going back and forth to the hardware store to buy missing bolts.

5. Adding power to the supercharger is as easy as changing out to a smaller pulley. But then that still would require a new tune. Also, if you run 8psi of boost and above, be prepared to have heat soak on the supercharger. Many people run aftercoolers with 8psi and above. It isn't stressful on the engine to hover a bit above 300hp, but it might be stressful on the clutch and axle.

6. Getting it tuned is dependent on the shop. My local tuner charges $450 for a full tune, no matter how long it takes. For a re-tune due to additional modifications, my local tuner chargers hourly at $200/hr if the additional modification is not substantial to warrant a full tune.

Opinion on it as a good investment is really up to you and how you value it. But my advice to you is find someone that really knows how to install the supercharger kit if you're not going to install it yourself. Because if you give it to someone who's just seen the kit for the first time, prepare to go back and forth to the shop getting things fixed as it's a pretty big job.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If you have any questions about a CT-E supercharger kit please feel free to contact us.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
If you have any questions about a CT-E supercharger kit please feel free to contact us.
Oddly, I was about to link to your site alongside with HeelToe but because it stated that the 2008 TSX is not compatible with the CT-E Supercharger on your site, I didn't want to confuse the OP. You should update that as the FlashPro opens up compatibility for the 07-08 TSX's.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Oddly, I was about to link to your site alongside with HeelToe but because it stated that the 2008 TSX is not compatible with the CT-E Supercharger on your site, I didn't want to confuse the OP. You should update that as the FlashPro opens up compatibility for the 07-08 TSX's.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll get that taken care of. In the meantime anyone who wants a kit can contact us for pricing.