HELP! Need to remove the head unit

Old 11-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Need to remove the head unit

I need to get to the back of my radio/cd changer. Any DIY or pictures of step by step instructions on how to remove the cd changer on a non-navi 04 TSX. I need to get to the s/n so I can get my radio to work. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's straight forward, but it's a lot of work just to get that number. There must be some other way, like through the dealer, to get the activation code. Otherwise, you have to remove driver and passenger side dash trim panels, pull out the center pocket, hazard light button, remove five screws (one each under the button and panels, and two behind the pocket, then pull the whole unit out (pop clips). Not very detailed, I know, but there has to be another way. If you're really determined though, I could give you a few tips and maybe a pic or two. But really, make sure all other avenues are exhausted.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Just dial 1911

So you go ahead and post here again anyway...nice...
Old 11-05-2006, 12:42 PM
New to Modding Cars

I have to do this too, any more detailed info on how to remove everything?

1) how do you remove the dash trim panels without breaking anything

2) how do you pull out the center pocket

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KapVu
I have to do this too, any more detailed info on how to remove everything?

1) how do you remove the dash trim panels without breaking anything
Luck.

Get a flat head screwdriver and wrap the tip in electrical tape.

Passenger's side
Open the door and wedge the screwdriver tip between the dash and trim piece here:

You are doing it perpendicular to the dash, i.e. from outside the car, using the screwdriver to pop up the first clip. Once it's up, slide your fingers under the piece and pop the clips working your way to the center of the console, about five or six clips.

Diver's side
Screwdriver again at this location:

Come at this one straight on, wedge it in between and pop the clip. That one has about two or three clips.

The hazard light just pulls out. The screws at the bottom are accessed from the pocket area. The location of the five screws are here:

2) how do you pull out the center pocket
This has been covered here and there. Just search for the instructions.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:13 PM
New to Modding Cars

Thanks!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:40 AM
New to Modding Cars

I don't see where the two screws are at the bottom. I got to the top 3 but when I pull out the pocket area, I don't see the two screws you are talking about. Do I need to pull on that lower black piece or is that attached to the AC unit?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Racer

I don't see where the two screws are at the bottom. I got to the top 3 but when I pull out the pocket area, I don't see the two screws you are talking about. Do I need to pull on that lower black piece or is that attached to the AC unit?
The black piece, AC controls, and stereo are all one unit, don't pull on it. The screws are there, towards the upper back corners. Maybe get a flashlight, get as low as you can, and look up into the pocket area hole. This ought to give you an idea of relative position and where to look:

Old 11-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Intermediate

Are you trying to get the serial # so that you can get the radio code?

If so, the radio code can be found if you open your glovebox and look on the left side of the door there should be a sticker with the radio code on it (assuming it's the original radio). If that's all you need then it should save you the trouble of disassembling your dash to get the s/n.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ASpecTSX
Are you trying to get the serial # so that you can get the radio code?

If so, the radio code can be found if you open your glovebox and look on the left side of the door there should be a sticker with the radio code on it (assuming it's the original radio). If that's all you need then it should save you the trouble of disassembling your dash to get the s/n.

i was just about to say that
Old 11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Instructor

The dealer also told me that sometimes the code for the stereo is one the inside of the fuse cover - the one under the hood.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:00 AM
4th Gear

Im buying a replacement deck since my cd changer crapped out....what do I need off the new(used) unit in order to get the code from acura?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Racer

umm, you guys may not have had to pull out the head unit. Honda and acura's have a built in UL code that you can give to the dealer and they can give you the code rather then pulling out the head unit. Not sure if the TSX has this but if you push and hold numbers 1 and 6 and then power on the head unit, it should give you a code. Not sure of the exact amount of numbers but it'll look like U#### L#### . or it'll flash a U#### then flash a L#### all the dealer needs is the numbers and some may not know what code your talking about but if they enter it in just like they would the serieal number, it'll usually work. I work at a very large used car store and we do this A LOT instead of having to pull out the unit. Worth a shot. hope it helps
Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

So putting in an aftermarket head unit wont be possible because of the ac controls.
But in the picture it looks like you can pull out the stock head unit or is it my eyes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Pushing 200

hey spoon thanx for the pics, i didnt ask for them but i happen to be taking out my deck also!! this help me soo much because i took everything else out except for what i was suppose and my car is in a mess... i needed a new printed circuit board because the lights wouldnt come on for the stereo and heater controls and i paid 2 bills at the dealer to replace it. if i know how to do it before i would have paid 50+/- for the part and saved money. but now i am putting in a car computer and i have to take it out myself, so thank you!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

trying to put in an IPOD jack

I have a 2005 TSX with navi. Do you know the best ipod accessory to hardwire a unit in the car? I see the pics to remove the radio and would appreciate anyone's tips to DIY.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
If its XM equipped you don't have to pull out the radio to install an ipod adapter. The plug is on the under side of the unit and can be accessed by pulling out the center pocket. No screws or anything, its just clipped in.

I have the iSimple in my 08 and it works great. Others have had some not so pleasant experiences with it, but I like it. The only problem I have with it is that the iPod volume is lower than anything else. Its a known issue though. Take a visit to the Audio/Video forum and have a look. There's a bunch of options out there.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM
6th Gear

If I but iSimple ISIM71 will it charge the iphone while its plugged in? Or do I need another part?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Before you try to pull the radio first check the binder containing the Acura Manual. If you are lucky you will find a while credit card sized piece of plastic with "Anti-Theft Radio ID Card" printed on it with your serial number. (If lost get a replacement from the Service Writer when you recover the number). If that fails call the dealer and see if the Code Number ID in your Computerized Maintenance Record. (If not have it placed in your record so you don't have to pull the radio at some future time.)

Don't ask me how i know. ; >)

THD
Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

tsx radio failure

Hey guys,
I have a 2004 tax that ofcourse the clock/lights/radio have stopped working about a year ago and I just don't have the money to pay a mechanic. I think the circuit board is fried. How would I go about making my radio/CD player work again? And what is this about a serial number for the radio. My car didn't come with a manual. Please HELP!!!!